Duke transfers - Azura Stevens, Angela Salvadores | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Duke transfers - Azura Stevens, Angela Salvadores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Salvadores was absolutely amazing while playing for Spain. Did not shine for Duke, but perhaps because of nagging injuries.

Connecticut's transfers are largely understandable. Brianna Banks left because it was clear she wouldn't get playing time. Another kid went to St. John's in order to be closer to home. EDD, well, we all know that story. Then the kid who went to Kentucky after a few weeks at UConn. The only troubling/regrettable transfer, IMHO, was Boykin. She was virtually the only really highly rated recruit to bail. She would have played a lot. She was tall. Sad to see her go.

Having said that, Coach Geno virtually never permits transfers in. Has he ever explained his philosophy on in-transfers?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Would be fun if there was some west coast school that consistently got a big chunk of the west coast talent the way that Baylor and Texas have got much of the top Texas talent in the last few classes. Can't be Stanford because some kids won't have the grades.

Maybe Cal could be that team. Purely for entertainment value, I want Ionescu to choose Cal. I would make it a point to stay up late to watch her and Anigwe play together.
Oregon might be that WC school. Have you seen Oregon 2016 recruiting class? Add Inoescu to that class and you might really have something.
PS
Ever heard of DVR? It might help you NOT have to stay up late. :cool:

Reaction Score
Not as if Coach McCallie hasn't produced in the past: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=873345

"The ACC Coach of the Year in 2010, 2012 and 2013, head coach Joanne P. McCallie enters her ninth season at the helm of the Blue Devils’ program. In just eight years, Coach P has guided the program to a 225-53 overall record, a 100-22 mark in ACC action and eight NCAA Tournament selections, including a No. 1 seed in 2009 and four straight Elite Eight appearances from 2010-13. She led Duke to four consecutive ACC regular season titles in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 and three ACC Championships in 2010, 2011 and 2013. Her 82.0 winning percentage in ACC contests ranks first on the conference’s all-time coaching charts. Meanwhile, Coach P’s winning percentage of 80.9 in all games is first among active coaches in the ACC.

"On the recruiting trail, McCallie brought in back-to-back No. 1 classes in 2010 and 2011, as well as the No. 1 class in 2015. She secured the No. 2 classes in 2013 and 2014. Duke has also signed 13 different players who have played in the McDonald’s All-America game, including seven over the last five years."

Different story for Tennessee...

Reaction Score
I believe it was Gail Goestenkors who was the coach at Duke who did not deal with Brittney Hunter's knee injury. UConn took their former recruit in a minute when Hunter said she wanted to come. But she was permanently hobbled, and, while brilliant while she was in the game, couldn't play for more than a few minutes at a time.

Really sad to see that sort of permanent pain and injury to a person so young.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not as if Coach McCallie hasn't produced in the past: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=873345

"The ACC Coach of the Year in 2010, 2012 and 2013, head coach Joanne P. McCallie enters her ninth season at the helm of the Blue Devils’ program. In just eight years, Coach P has guided the program to a 225-53 overall record, a 100-22 mark in ACC action and eight NCAA Tournament selections, including a No. 1 seed in 2009 and four straight Elite Eight appearances from 2010-13. She led Duke to four consecutive ACC regular season titles in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 and three ACC Championships in 2010, 2011 and 2013. Her 82.0 winning percentage in ACC contests ranks first on the conference’s all-time coaching charts. Meanwhile, Coach P’s winning percentage of 80.9 in all games is first among active coaches in the ACC.

"On the recruiting trail, McCallie brought in back-to-back No. 1 classes in 2010 and 2011, as well as the No. 1 class in 2015. She secured the No. 2 classes in 2013 and 2014. Duke has also signed 13 different players who have played in the McDonald’s All-America game, including seven over the last five years."

Different story for Tennessee...
Wait for it wait for it ... It being the part where Cam jumps in and drops jems about how/where/why coach JPM has underachieved. @CamrnCrz1974, your on!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Oregon might be that WC school. Have you seen Oregon 2016 recruiting class? Add Inoescu to that class and you might really have something.
PS
Ever heard of DVR? It might help you NOT have to stay up late. :cool:

DVR would cost another $10 a month and I pay too much for tv as it is - thanks Comcast.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I wonder what's going through Lexie Brown's head right now....
That transfer in particular was always strange to me... why on earth would you leave Maryland who will likely be top 5-10 for the next 3 - 5 years at minimum where you went to back to back FF for Duke... never understood it. Now it just looks sad.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Having said that, Coach Geno virtually never permits transfers in. Has he ever explained his philosophy on in-transfers?

1. Why are you transferring is the first issue. Why should he invest in you if you bailed on another program. (Lots of legit reasons, and he has taken Hunter from Duke and now Butler, but ...)

2. It takes time to develop a player, does he get enough time (Rita Williams, Hunter, and Butler and a couple who bailed all had three years of eligibility.) Two years even with a year of sitting may be too short - but Stevens has a lot of talent to work with so I would say a maybe - Lexi Brown I doubt he would have been interested in because of the 'one year rental')

3. Need - does the team really want to invest in a shorter team player or is there someone he can get in a year that will be comparable and he gets for four years.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That transfer in particular was always strange to me... why on earth would you leave Maryland who will likely be top 5-10 for the next 3 - 5 years at minimum where you went to back to back FF for Duke... never understood it. Now it just looks sad.
Lexie's stated reason for leaving MD was that she wanted to be closer to home-she is from Georgia.
It seems to me I have heard this same thing said by many other recruits and players. What I don't understand are the people that say they don't understand this.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1. Why are you transferring is the first issue. Why should he invest in you if you bailed on another program. (Lots of legit reasons, and he has taken Hunter from Duke and now Butler, but ...)

2. It takes time to develop a player, does he get enough time (Rita Williams, Hunter, and Butler and a couple who bailed all had three years of eligibility.) Two years even with a year of sitting may be too short - but Stevens has a lot of talent to work with so I would say a maybe - Lexi Brown I doubt he would have been interested in because of the 'one year rental')

3. Need - does the team really want to invest in a shorter team player or is there someone he can get in a year that will be comparable and he gets for four years.

Excellent run down UC
Concrete translations:
1: Is the player bringing drama to UCONN? Stevens is by all accounts drama free.
2: Does Geno invest in Stevens for 2 Years when he has a chance to sign Jade Williams or LaDazhia Williams and have them for 4 years.
3: Will UCONN have minutes at the PF position in the 2017-18 season. UCONN will have minutes available at PF position and IMO Stevens is a better player than anyone being recruited or who will be on the UCONN roster at that time.

This is a no brainer!

Reaction Score
Lexie's stated reason for leaving MD was that she wanted to be closer to home-she is from Georgia.
It seems to me I have heard this same thing said by many other recruits and players. What I don't understand are the people that say they don't understand this.
I understand why Lexie left Maryland (I think she would have stayed at Maryland if they didn't move from the ACC to the Big 10). I just questioned "why Duke?" I thought Florida State or Louisville would have been better choices for her. Maybe she wanted the Duke diploma.

As for Stevens, Maryland recruited her very hard. I'm sure Brenda is looking into the situation even though we are at our limit right now. My guess right now is South Carolina because of all the room they have on their roster.

Reaction Score
Azurá Stevens and Angela Salvadores are leaving the Duke program. Stevens will transfer; Salvadores is going to play professional basketball.
As has been said elsewhere in this thread I hope Geno takes note and asks why and will she fit the " team" concept of Uconn---I sure would like to have that height and mobility In a Uconn Uniform. I have/had/will have had great expectations for our Butler--great hands, good shooter , great teammate, Mobility ??? Geno and company will put pressure on her to lose some (not much) weight, and run run run---Nan essentially told me last fall that my expectation were a bit high---yet, pessimist as I am, I turned into an revert for Butler> However I can envision an Azure--Katie Lou--Collier--Dangerfield--(pick a newbee)Butler team--USC and ND would be in our rearview mirror again..

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Folks think the complaints about UConn are loud now, consider the volume if Stevens came to UConn.
I sure didn't hear any complaint when Davis & Gray transferred to the at the time #1 ranked program in WCBB.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I understand why Lexie left Maryland (I think she would have stayed at Maryland if they didn't move from the ACC to the Big 10). I just questioned "why Duke?" I thought Florida State or Louisville would have been better choices for her. Maybe she wanted the Duke diploma.

As for Stevens, Maryland recruited her very hard. I'm sure Brenda is looking into the situation even though we are at our limit right now. My guess right now is South Carolina because of all the room they have on their roster.

Dawn has 5 scholarships for next year. Trust me, I wouldn't turn down Stevens at all.. but I almost want her to hold on to those scholarships and push hard to recruit a few back to back top 10 classes in 2017 and 2018.

Our next few classes have to be big and elite.. Our roster turnover was huge this year, we lost 8 (5 to graduation, 3 to transfer) and gained 3. And we have an even bigger (talent-wise) roster turnover on the way in 2018.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I sure didn't hear any complaint when Davis & Gray transferred to the at the time #1 ranked program in WCBB.

Think UConn's on a different level from South Carolina. ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
By my count, Duke now has 9 returnees and 1 recruit coming in?

Brown (Jr) - Lambert (So) - Primm (So) - Greenwell (Jr) - Chidom (Sr) as a small starting 5?
Slocum (Fr) - Gorecki (So) - Suggs (So) - Belton (So) - Mathias (Jr) on the bench

Duke has also had a lot of injuries. They better hope for some health.

Given how many years she had left on her contract, I thought Coach P was in position to possibly right the proverbial ship in 2016-2017, with Stevens, Greenwell, (transfer) Brown and (recruit) Odom. However, Stevens was the key element. Now, that water looks even chopper -- get the red flag out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Think UConn's on a different level from South Carolina. ;)
True. As Jay-Z would say: "What's higher than number one"? . But we are talking about almost a year & a half from now, no telling where UCONN will be by then.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it's not.

Why unfortunately? If you wanted to be a pro is there anything about Duke's performance or trajectory that is encouraging. That's for Azura. Salvadores: Well, she would have the same problem watching her admitted pro potential go fizzle over a couple more years of the chaos inspired by Coach Phew.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wow - I too took a moment to think 'April Fools?'
I too am not surprised with Salvadores as she has the European option and it makes a lot of sense. But Azura is a huge blow. I would love it if she had interest in Uconn - she is obviously not Breanna, but she has skills that are similar with range to the three and abilities down low as well.

Duke is a great school, and beautiful campus, and a basketball program in disarray - they get great recruits but too many of the best leave, and I have to believe it is because of the coaching.

That 538 article I cited the other day argues that by the proper metric Duke has been the best recruiter (and, obviously) waster of potentially elite talent.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Didn't know it was to be closer to home... that I get.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But we are talking about almost a year & a half from now, no telling where UCONN will be by then.

Pretty darn good I would think. Adding Stevens and Walker (fingers crossed) would make UConn the favorite in '18 and give them a crack at ND in '17 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom