Duke transfers - Azura Stevens, Angela Salvadores | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Duke transfers - Azura Stevens, Angela Salvadores

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
If I were to bet, Azura Stevens will end up at South Carolina.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
These transfers surprise few, least of all me. I've told friends that she, DD and a few others were doomed to leave their respective programs. I'm sure she'll land on her feet somewhere, but frankly the only place where she'd receive the kind of tutoring she needs to be the most effective in college or as a pro is under Geno's wing As for Tennessee, Tis the season to leave Holly.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I just had a great idea!

Many, many years ago ('40's? '50's?) two major league baseball teams actually traded managers in mid-season! IIRC GM "Trader Frank" Lane helped orchestrate this bizarre transaction and Bucky Harris was one of the managers who got traded.

Inspired by this precedent, time for the AD's at Duke and Tennessee to swap CHW for Coach P and vice versa. Grab some headlines! Stir up the fan bases!:D

What the hell, as Bob Dylan said: "When you've goot nothin', you've got nothin' to lose!"
"They're invisible now, they've got no secrets to conceeeeeaaallllll…"

Well, they may be wishing they were invisible, anyway. ;)

Reaction Score
this is why i hate it when people compare Duke and TN. yes, they are struggling to win big games BUT TN has consisently gotten to the Elite 8 AND won several SEC titles over the past few years. Not only that, players don't usually leave TN for basketball reasons. Tucker left and that was pretty much it. i know we aren't near the top of rankings but overall the players love playing at TN and love the coaches and fans. the same can't be said for UNC or Duke. just my opinion though....

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
but why would she go to South Carolina (where 2 posts are ahead of her), or TN (where there could be turmoil)? I understand Notre Dame and ACC schools are out, so why not Maryland? Baylor is full. I say Stanford if she has grades. Otherwise? KY? Or our favorite transfer place, Ohio State (just kidding)...have to feel really sorry for her, she was at a great school, near home and then this **** happens.

Of course, if Geno will take her, that's probably the best for her.

Reaction Score
but why would she go to South Carolina (where 2 posts are ahead of her), or TN (where there could be turmoil)? I understand Notre Dame and ACC schools are out, so why not Maryland? Baylor is full. I say Stanford if she has grades. Otherwise? KY? Or our favorite transfer place, Ohio State (just kidding)...have to feel really sorry for her, she was at a great school, near home and then this **** happens.

She has to sit out a year. By the time she got to play Coates would be gone. And Wilson would be a senior.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks Cam.

One nitpick as someone who presents data for a living: using decimal places here is not needed and only distracts from/clutters the compelling numbers you have. Just a pet peeve of mine. :)

But you go by Vowelguy? Not numbers guy? ;)
Point taken....still a heck of a round-up on the Duke situation....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
this is why i hate it when people compare Duke and TN. yes, they are struggling to win big games BUT TN has consisently gotten to the Elite 8 AND won several SEC titles over the past few years. Not only that, players don't usually leave TN for basketball reasons. Tucker left and that was pretty much it. i know we aren't near the top of rankings but overall the players love playing at TN and love the coaches and fans. the same can't be said for UNC or Duke. just my opinion though....
The most valid comparison of TN and Duke WCBB is the consistent lack of player development at both schools.
Specific recent examples are Elizabeth Williams and Bashara Graves. Additional examples are the pair of #1 HS ranked players on the TN roster that this year failed to make ANY ALL-SEC team not even honorable mention as well as the McDonalds AA on the Duke roster who similarly under achieved in the ALL- ACC teams.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Azura has been known to wear blue.
And wear it well. I'd say though those chances are about 60-40 against. I mean, she's from NC. Are the issues at NC so egregious she wouldn't consider there? Stanford is a good fit, but that is across country. I'd say UConn's chances are as good as theirs. Louisville is a good spot as well.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Could you imagine the outcries of horror that would sound throughout WCBB if word got out that Dawn was "poaching" kids from the rosters of other schools? It already happens at the graduate transfer level on the men's side and it's very looked down upon.

I have trouble believing Dawn is stupid enough to put herself in a precarious situation as such.

If Stevens does end up at SC, what probably happened... She enjoyed spending time with Wilson and Staley last summer for Team USA, Duke's season didn't turn out so great, Stevens was unhappy, She reminisced on her experience and thought it would be cool to join Dawn.. so she decided to transfer..

Meanwhile, at SC, word probably got around that Stevens was thinking about transferring there.. Jatarie White, who already plays behind Wilson at the 4 and doesn't care to play at Center, caught wind of this and wasn't excited (Stevens would be direct competition for White at the 4, but Stevens doesn't mind playing at the 5) so she decided to transfer.

By the way, this is all hypothetical but if Stevens did transfer to SC... this is how I imagine it played out.

We have to remember, Stevens is from NC... she was recruited by Dawn out of high school and played for her last summer. If there's a top high school player in SC, NC, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida or Alabama odds are very good that Dawn knows about her and has reached out to her/recruited her... so when these kids up end not going to SC, there's still a prior relationship there... then, they visually see what Dawn is building at SC and decide that it's a much better situation for them ..so they transfer. For evidence of this see Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis.. Dawn recruited both players hard out of high school.. Gray actually committed to SC FIRST before switching to UNC to join what was once a stellar Tarheel class.

So when these players end up transferring to SC, it's not "out of the blue"... it's really just tying up a relationship that existed already, the player just literally couldn't see yet what Dawn was selling them.. because it wasn't there yet, but now they can "see" it.. with our SEC play, NCAAT appearances and great attendance.

Or maybe Dawn is poaching kids off rosters :rolleyes:... truth is, we'll never know for sure until some Sports Illustrated journo does a spotlight piece on it from a confidential source. Or when Mike & Mike talk about it on ESPN...

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Could you imagine the outcries of horror that would sound throughout WCBB if word got out that Dawn was "poaching" kids from the rosters of other schools? It already happens at the graduate transfer level on the men's side and it's very looked down upon.

I have trouble believing Dawn is stupid enough to put herself in a precarious situation as such.

If Stevens does end up at SC, what probably happened... She enjoyed spending time with Wilson and Staley last summer for Team USA, Duke's season didn't turn out so great, Stevens was unhappy, She reminisced on her experience and thought it would be cool to join Dawn.. so she decided to transfer..

Meanwhile, at SC, word probably got around that Stevens was thinking about transferring there.. Jatarie White, who already plays behind Wilson at the 4 and doesn't care to play at Center, caught wind of this and wasn't excited (Stevens would be direct competition for White at the 4, but Stevens doesn't mind playing at the 5) so she decided to transfer.

By the way, this is all hypothetical but if Stevens did transfer to SC... this is how I imagine it played out.

We have to remember, Stevens is from NC... she was recruited by Dawn out of high school and played for her last summer. If there's a top high school player in SC, NC, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida or Alabama odds are very good that Dawn knows about her and has reached out to her/recruited her... so when these kids up end not going to SC, there's still a prior relationship there... then, they visually see what Dawn is building at SC and decide that it's a much better situation for them ..so they transfer. For evidence of this see Alisha Gray and Kaela Davis.. Dawn recruited both players hard out of high school.. Gray actually committed to SC FIRST before switching to UNC to join what was once a stellar Tarheel class.

So when these players end up transferring to SC, it's not "out of the blue"... it's really just tying up a relationship that existed already, the player just literally couldn't see yet what Dawn was selling them.. because it wasn't there yet, but now they can "see" it.. with our SEC play, NCAAT appearances and great attendance.

Or maybe Dawn is poaching kids off rosters :rolleyes:... truth is, we'll never know for sure until some Sports Illustrated journo does a spotlight piece on it from a confidential source. Or when Mike & Mike talk about it on ESPN...

Thanks for the the possible scenario....

- The ballers world at that level (and age groups) is pretty interconnected, so --you're right-- it's not as if some (most) of the folks involved won't know each other. Having lived in the travel soccer world for many years, I saw/experienced much of the same.
- So Jatarie White thinks of herself as a "4" only? The times I see Stevens she is pretty versatile, which is part of her strength. So many of these taller forwards now have the ability to seamlessly glide in and out of the lines that the two-forward set is becoming increasingly common.

Having had SC accept transfers, are most of those announced in the spring signing period?

Reaction Score

Not to be outdone by throwing feathers in the wind, I would say SC. Dawn was quite popular this past summer; indeed, I worried about our own player after Dawn took her under her wings.

I have said it before and will say it again that the Boneyard dislike/hatred for coach P borders on personal. The reasons given by players/family members for leaving a school is not always complete. Diplomacy plays a strong role. Team chemistry, coaching style, distance, academics, student life and a sense of belonging in the student body, etc play on the student. I'm not going to judge a coach by the # of NC he or she has won.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Thanks for the the possible scenario....

- The ballers world at that level (and age groups) is pretty interconnected, so --you're right-- it's not as if some (most) of the folks involved won't know each other. Having lived in the travel soccer world for many years, I saw/experienced much of the same.
- So Jatarie White thinks of herself as a "4" only? The times I see Stevens she is pretty versatile, which is part of her strength. So many of these taller forwards now have the ability to seamlessly glide in and out of the lines that the two-forward set is becoming increasingly common.

Having had SC accept transfers, are most of those announced in the spring signing period?

Jatarie can play the 5, but she's not very overpowering in the paint... she can easily be beat or overpowered, unlike Coates who has the ability to be a shut down force underneath. White is more of a finesse player and likes to face the basket. If you watch her play you can tell she doesn't like to mix it up down low, unlike a Coates, who relishes in it. Coming out of high school, she was praised for her ability to consistently knock down midrange jumpers and 3 pointers... so she's a good weapon to have, especially with size. If you watch our exhibition game versus Newberry you get a glimpse of White's capabilities... it should be on WatchESPN.

You're right, we usually announce transfers around this time. There's no real world on any transfers into SC.. the only thing substantial is that tweet from a Gamecock Recruiting beat writer that says his source believes Stevens ends up at SC. That may not happen at all.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have said it before and will say it again that the Boneyard dislike/hatred for coach P borders on personal. I'm not going to judge a coach by the # of NC he or she has won.
I don't think it's personal at all. JPM has quantifiable failure, and epic underachievement in her time at Duke. In 2014 Duke a #2 seed lost to #7 Depaul in the second round of the NCAA tournament-ON DUKE's HOME COURT!
IMO NC is a fine way to judge a coach, but of course that standard wouldn't apply to coach JPM would it?

Reaction Score
No, probably not - all conference impose that extra year penalty on in conference transfers and I cannot remember the last time a player transferred 'in conference'. Uconn did have a transfer to St. Johns back in the early 2000s but I think there was a work around on the two year requirement at that time.
Geno waived the extra year required by the Big East because that was what was best for the student-athlete. How many other coaches would do that for an intraconference rival?

Reaction Score
Stevens can also transfer to Uconn she has family ties out here in CT.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno waived the extra year required by the Big East because that was what was best for the student-athlete. How many other coaches would do that for an intraconference rival?
Geno is 39 and 8 all time vs St. John's, that is not much of a "rivalry". Would Geno have waived the extra year if same player wanted to go to ND?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno is 39 and 8 all time vs St. John's, that is not much of a "rivalry". Would Geno have waived the extra year if same player wanted to go to ND?

Wow, there are hypothetical questions and then there are.... at a loss for words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom