Duke Rumor about Coach P | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke Rumor about Coach P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be concerned about the Princeton players. It's no secret that most college teams looking for a coach has her in their sights whether she's interested or not.

She should stay at Princeton cause they can do it again next year.

Reaction Score
Is Mike looking for a job at TMZ, or does he just love to put a dig in the Duke coaches reputation?
COACH P VS MIKE FLYNN. I only know this guy from his negative talk about Coach P. He also tweeted a while back that Kendal Cooper was transferring from Duke... She's still here:confused:

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
COACH P VS MIKE FLYNN. I only know this guy from his negative talk about Coach P. He also tweeted a while back that Kendal Cooper was transferring from Duke... She's still here:confused:

Not to defend him at all, because he has no tact when it comes to these sort of matters, but I think even Bret McCormick said Kendall Cooper but then it was later corrected that it was Kianna Holland.

Reaction Score
Not to defend him at all, because he has no tact when it comes to these sort of matters, but I think even Bret McCormick said Kendall Cooper but then it was later corrected that it was Kianna Holland.
Oh okay. We could for sure use Kianna Holland right now. I wish any of us Duke fans could tell you why she left... I will say if Duke doesn't perform well in this tournament I really think the athletic department needs to have a long talk with Joanne.

Reaction Score
Oh okay. We could for sure use Kianna Holland right now. I wish any of us Duke fans could tell you why she left... I will say if Duke doesn't perform well in this tournament I really think the athletic department needs to have a long talk with Joanne.
I'm reading John Wooden's book "They Call Me Coach" right now. He said in the book that he made sure he gave encouragement after any criticism he gave to any of his players...

Reaction Score
I'm reading John Wooden's book "They Call Me Coach" right now. He said in the book that he made sure he gave encouragement after any criticism he gave to any of his players...
YOU HAVE TO! I can't stress that enough. Key for player confidence.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I was very surprised that she transferred. I mean, I'm happy she did because she came back to Ohio State, her original commitment, but from what I remember she was kind of instrumental in convincing other players from her recruiting class to commit to Duke. Whether was was just talking to them about how great it is there or what, I was sure she was Duke's for good. But maybe it just wasn't the right fit for her.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You don't suppose that's a pointed reference to someone, do you?

espnw_ap_mccallieinline_300.jpg

“I'm not pleased with our team's toughness. We really need to be strong on the court. It was a good lesson for us, but not at all the kind of basketball we play.”

"Obviously we didn’t do our part to make it a better game. This is a tough lesson for us and a good opportunity for others. We can take what we learn and grow from it."

"We didn’t do what we needed to do. You can’t take everything away from what they’ve done and our season ends on a very learning note."

"Yeah, it was a good game, and hard fought. We've got some great lessons learned for us as we grow in this season, and I think it's a really great thing . . ."

"I have to give credit to this things Stanford did. There’s some lessons for us and I’m sure some lessons I’ll take with us."
'
“This is exactly how we’ve been playing all year. It was consistent and more of the same. We’ve played some great 20 minute ball but we’ve been pretty much non-existent for 40 minute ball. . . . There were some great lessons to learn from.”

“We took a lot of shots, and I think, hopefully, we’re going to learn a valuable lesson when we watch the film,”

Etc. Etc.
JPM is doing post-doc studies on losing. :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This forum, for the most part, has never been keen on Coach McCallie, but it is difficult for me to believe that the Duke athletic administration is dissatisfied with a women's basketball program that, for the past seven seasons under Coach McCallie, has won no less than 25 games, has won at least 30 games three times, has been to the Elite 8 four times, and has won the ACC Tournament as the #1 seed three times.
The Duke success is notable, and most schools would be thrilled with those results, but ...

It pales relative to the Duke men, who play in a much more competitive environment.

It is a poorer record than that of Gail, who made it to multiple Final Fours.

It is disappointing given that they have had top 2-3 talent on paper since JPM arrived.

Several assistants and players appear to have bailed.

JPM has never, to my knowledge, accepted any responsibility. Instead, she repeatedly blamed the players--the players recruited and coached by her.

Plus she keeps making lame statements about "learning," but she doesn't put that knowledge to use.

I'm not saying she's a bad coach, but I think she's underperforming, and her ceiling is lower than Duke probably wants.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
The Duke success is notable, and most schools would be thrilled with those results, but ...

It pales relative to the Duke men, who play in a much more competitive environment.

It is a poorer record than that of Gail, who made it to multiple Final Fours.

It is disappointing given that they have had top 2-3 talent on paper since JPM arrived.

Several assistants and players appear to have bailed.

JPM has never, to my knowledge, accepted any responsibility. Instead, she repeatedly blamed the players--the players recruited and coached by her.

Plus she keeps making lame statements about "learning," but she doesn't put that knowledge to use.

I'm not saying she's a bad coach, but I think she's underperforming, and her ceiling is lower than Duke probably wants.

Not to mention the public perception and embarrassment with her social media antics.
While her record in general is respectable, it is no where near the potential of her recruits.

Reaction Score
I do not know who this journalist is, or whether or not he has it "in" for Coach P as alleged. Speaking only for myself, I have voiced extreme criticism of what I perceive to be her significant failings as a coach in two main areas: player development (can one really argue with that?) and inability to make in-game adjustments that might help her team win big games. But my criticism has come from a perspective of one who ardently wishes she were more competent than she obviously is. Sure, I am a UConn fan, first and foremost, though a true fan of WCBB in general. Therefore, unlike many others, I feel that UConn's dominance begins to have a rather hollow feel if other programs decline to step up the level of competition, and if yet another UConn national championship is greeted with a resounding ho-hum around the country, with the inevitable result of mostly empty arenas in the heartland. Yes, I'd like to see Duke dump McCallie, and hire someone significantly better (shouldn't be too hard) and then emerge as a serious competitor and rival that would generate some annual excitement. To suggest that Duke will never get to that point, even with the great talent it recruits, under this coach is not reflective of an anti-Coach P bias, but just a matter of stating the obvious!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You don't suppose that's a pointed reference to someone, do you?

espnw_ap_mccallieinline_300.jpg

Etc. Etc.

I think it is more of triggering her laser eyes by touching her temples.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have seen a number of comments on Duke boards referring "the incident" with Calhoun and stating that "this kind of stuff" has been going on for a time and the powers that be at Duke were aware of it. The fact is that her public verbal abuse of her players is a severe and ongoing embarassment to the university and it doesn't take much imagination to imagine what her treatemtn of them in practice must be like. Not good for Duke's image. At all.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
I have seen a number of comments on Duke boards referring "the incident" with Calhoun and stating that "this kind of stuff" has been going on for a time and the powers that be at Duke were aware of it. The fact is that her public verbal abuse of her players is a severe and ongoing embarassment to the university and it doesn't take much imagination to imagine what her treatemtn of them in practice must be like. Not good for Duke's image. At all.

I was going to post something like about this -- and the rumors of a practice video showing a fire-able offense for P. If such a video does exist, and it gets out, then Duke is going to take a major PR hit , especially considering the other recent issues involving the athletics program. Questions will be raised about why she wasn't immediately dismissed. But then again, the local major newspaper doesn't even report all of the Triangle's ACC WBB scores, even in the scoreboard listing, so there could be little interest, media-wise.

Perhaps there is some type of non-disclosure being worked on by different parties. Perhaps Coach P has been told to find another job, and her name is being circulated as interested in openings. (This approach has been used before.) Perhaps this is all wishful thinking.

What I do know is that Coach P is not well liked by certain key Duke leaders anymore, and she doesn't have the support she once did. So, it wouldn't surprise if she wasn't at Duke next year. But the timing of this leak, pre-tourney, seems a little off, unless Coach P is trying to get her name out there.

Personally, I would love to see Banghart at Duke, and I would love to see Duke and NC State the premier programs in the Triangle and UNC doomed forever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be concerned about the Princeton players. It's no secret that most college teams looking for a coach has her in their sights whether she's interested or not.

She should stay at Princeton cause they can do it again next year.
Sometimes the best job is the one you've got. Lot's of BS and pressure that come with taking $ome "dream" job at these name brand schools. Hope she stays too as I've enjoyed watching Princeton play.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Mike Flynn is reporting a rumor that Duke Admin is attempting a buyout on Coach P's contract. Want to hire Courtney Banghart Princeton's Coach.

This is about as low life as one can get showing total disrespect for the players on
both teams at tournament time. It does not sound like anything our AD would
start at this point or at all.

JS

Reaction Score
This is about as low life as one can get showing total disrespect for the players on
both teams at tournament time. It does not sound like anything our AD would
start at this point or at all.
Agree on the not at this point.

"At all" might be overstating it. They're well aware of the issues with Coach P. General wisdom has been those issues aren't severe enough.

Although the Banghart tweet is interesting it seems a bit too gratuitously aggressive against the incumbent, coming from a supposed candidate for her job, to be other than coincidence.

And this would be a very strange time indeed for the admin to broach the subject of a buyout with her. No upside to doing it now unless there's some kind of window of opportunity, for a replacement or under her contract, that isn't visible to us.

Reaction Score
Although the Banghart tweet is interesting it seems a bit too gratuitously aggressive against the incumbent, coming from a supposed candidate for her job, to be other than coincidence.
Hello!! You play to win the game!

JS

Reaction Score
Hello!! You play to win the game!
That part of the Banghart quote is standard enough sports talk/cliche.

The part that said you're not in it to learn lessons is what seemed a possible shot at Coach P's continual refrain, given its timing in relation to the rumor.

But if you're bucking for a particular job, bad-mouthing the incumbent seems a pretty dicey way to try to impress your potential employer. You'd likely leave that to others and emphasize the positive things you can bring to the table.

Reaction Score
Duke is disappointing given that they have had top 2-3 talent on paper since JPM arrived. YUP!

JPM has never, to my knowledge, accepted any responsibility. Instead, she repeatedly blamed the players--the players recruited and coached by her. YUP!

I'm not saying she's a bad coach, but I think she's underperforming....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- I'm saying it- SHE'S A BAD COACH, A REALLY BAD COACH. She consistently gets top talent, she routinely throws that talent under the bus after a loss, and her in-game adjustments seem non-existent.
- Seems like many of her players have issues with McCallie, given the high number of transfers. Speaking of the Devil :) did we ever learn why Sierra Calhoun abruptly up and left the program? And where will she go?
- I'll be very surprised if Duke eats the remaining years on her big-money contract and hires a good replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32