Duke Rumor about Coach P | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Duke Rumor about Coach P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme has USF in Duke's bracket, that's a matchup if I'm Duke I don't want to seee. Courtney Williams would own Duke's guards.
Who guards Azura Stevens? And is USF good at closing out on shooters?

Reaction Score
Can't utilize her talent? what happen to patients? She's only a freshman. Ainnit?
I agree with this. I'm for one believes Coach P had nothing to do with Sierra leaving. Considering she still hasnt found a school I'm assuming it was a family issue.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
bballnut90 had such a great post. I am going to respond in a few threads (every person who reads my posts on The Boneyard knows that I cannot possibly be succinct or brief with my comments...LOL).

In 2004, Duke faced 7th seeded Minnesota, severely underseeded because of Whalen's injury in the middle of the season. But while that team was very deep, it was not the best three-point shooting team among the starting lineup. And Harding and Beard could not contain Whalen that night.

In 2007, it was the rumors about Goestenkors and Texas. Duke beat Rutgers by 40 points in the regular season, but lose at the end of the game by one point after Lindsey Harding missed two free throws. The media speculation about Gail replacing Conradt was constant, and it really impacted the team. And the irony of the situation is that Duke is now facing a similar situation (though not to the same degree) with the discussions about McCallie. But Duke should have won that game.

As an aside, I have had many off-the-record discussions with WCBB journalists and insiders. The 2007 game only fueled the fire about "the Duke kid." Basically, the buzz is that Duke recruits certain types of kids - smart, good basketball players, and nice...but that lack the killer instinct. Whereas these same insiders say that UConn's kids would die for Geno (figuratively, of course) and would do whatever he said and whatever it took to bring home the hardware, the Duke kids do not have the same killer instinct, absent a few exceptions (e.g., Monique Currie).

This last paragraph was not really responsive to bballnut90's post, but I thought it was an interesting observation made by several insiders. And that was back in 2007. I do not believe that anything has changed in the ensuing eight years.
Stanford often has same issue with kids lacking killer instinct (all Ogwumikes excluded)!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts ...

I don't "dislike" Coach P. I ran into her at an airport on the way to a Final Four, and she seemed personable. But I think she has underachieved, and I really dislike her lack of responsibility for her team's shortcomings. Her press conferences are predictable and seem almost like a Saturday Night Live skit.

I agree about the lack of killer instinct. Iciss Tillis played soft, as did many of her teammates. Mo Currie, on the other hand, has fire. In the Duke comeback win at UConn, her intensity was the major reason why the team didn't give up when they were 15 points down.

Gail was a good coach, probably better than Joann. But she had the "deer in the headlights" look as much as anyone I've ever seen. I thought that, if she could improve her facial expressions and body language, she would be a better coach. Her defeatist look in some situations was spread to her team, in my opinion.

The Duke team that lost to Rutgers when harming missed the FTs was a really, really good team. The Duke team that lost in the NC game was the best team in the country that year. But Jeff Walz drew up a play, Tolliver hit a shot, and the rest is history.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Charlie Creme has USF in Duke's bracket, that's a matchup if I'm Duke I don't want to seee. Courtney Williams would own Duke's guards.

If that game were in Tampa.. perhaps. Other than beating Oklahoma and keeping it relatively close vs UCONN... nothing on their resume impresses me, or would make me fearful of an upset.

Reaction Score
If that game were in Tampa.. perhaps. Other than beating Oklahoma and keeping it relatively close vs UCONN... nothing on their resume impresses me, or would make me fearful of an upset.
Duke will beat USF.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Just a few thoughts ...

I don't "dislike" Coach P. I ran into her at an airport on the way to a Final Four, and she seemed personable. But I think she has underachieved, and I really dislike her lack of responsibility for her team's shortcomings. Her press conferences are predictable and seem almost like a Saturday Night Live skit.

I agree about the lack of killer instinct. Iciss Tillis played soft, as did many of her teammates. Mo Currie, on the other hand, has fire. In the Duke comeback win at UConn, her intensity was the major reason why the team didn't give up when they were 15 points down.

Gail was a good coach, probably better than Joann. But she had the "deer in the headlights" look as much as anyone I've ever seen. I thought that, if she could improve her facial expressions and body language, she would be a better coach. Her defeatist look in some situations was spread to her team, in my opinion.

The Duke team that lost to Rutgers when harming missed the FTs was a really, really good team. The Duke team that lost in the NC game was the best team in the country that year. But Jeff Walz drew up a play, Tolliver hit a shot, and the rest is history.
Love your comments. Chatted with her at the Final Four this past yr at a served luncheon after some great ncaa meeting/seminars at the arena. She was a real pleasure to talk with. And she looks like what a coach should look like-to me anyway! But I do agree with all your observations!

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Coach P may redeem herself by making a deep run in the NCAA Tournament. So don't count her out too quickly.

I was thinking the same thing. They have some potential favorable matchups to make a ff4 run...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Duke will beat USF.
I'm sure Duke is playing better. But USF has better guard play. Uconn is big and talented and look what they did to us much of the time we've played them. Most teams that are human are vulnerable to them if they are playing inspired basketball.

Reaction Score
I'm sure Duke is playing better. But USF has better guard play. Uconn is big and talented and look what they did to us much of the time we've played them. Most teams that are human are vulnerable to them if they are playing inspired basketball.
Duke is too big for them. The game will be like when USF played MD.

Reaction Score
You need good guard play and depth to win in the NCAA tournament, and Duke doesn't have it. They remind me of some of Coach Summitt's final teams where we were playing wing type players at the 1 and 2. Bigger isn't always better.

Reaction Score
You need good guard play and depth to win in the NCAA tournament, and Duke doesn't have it. They remind me of some of Coach Summitt's final teams where we were playing wing type players at the 1 and 2. Bigger isn't always better.
Didn't say they were going to win the tournament. I said they would beat South Florida.

Reaction Score
Didn't say they were going to win the tournament. I said they would beat South Florida.
I said "win in the NCAA tournament" not "win the NCAA tournament" and I have serious doubts about their ability to beat South Florida. I was referring to the previous comments about them making a deep, possibly final four run in the tournament, not necessarily your South Florida comments, though.

Reaction Score
I agree with this post 100%. Although I must say I do like Coach P vision for her team. The class she brought in this year were slasher/forward players. Next year class is all guards. If I see zone next year with the balance we have throughout I WILL NOT understand her motive.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I agree with this post 100%. Although I must say I do like Coach P vision for her team. The class she brought in this year were slasher/forward players. Next year class is all guards. If I see zone next year with the balance we have throughout I WILL NOT understand her motive.
Yeah I won't lay all blame with how the roster ended up for her. A lot of weird transfers and injuries from guards for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom