Dog days of August..., so why not discuss KML height controversy... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dog days of August..., so why not discuss KML height controversy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since you don't believe the 6', why on earth would you believe the 185?

Wait, Trisalin. You, too, might consider the now familiar "double check for accuracy of understanding" approach that I outlined for DD. You have but to ask before declaring "gotcha" for goodness sake. I try to do that.

Instead of assuming I was endorsing, sanctioning and/or signaling my "belief" that the wug 185 weight for KML was accurate, you could havecdouble checked to ask if that is what I was doing. I wasn't.

Look, I wasn't born yesterday. I appreciate the value of consistency in a thought process. I mean, shouldn't we be willing to give each other a little credit for having a modicum of reasoning capacity? Isn't it rather obvious that if wug uses what I have claimed is an inaccurate height metric for KML, buying into the 6-0 listing, as they do; while sidestepping an opportunity for a visual comparison, by sitting her with the Gs, as they did, when they pictured her, that it might be possible that their weight metric is also unreliable?

I get that.

But, there are a variety of other reasons why the number, 185, may still have utility. For one, women bb players' weights, unlike that of men bb players, is not normally published. UCONN doesn't do that. For another, one look at KML and you can see that 6-0 is questionable. That same look reveals she is full figured, if I might use that term to describe her build. Thus, 185 seems a reasonable estimate. I do not have a belief in the accuracy of that number; rather, I have no reason to ignore it, and some value in using it to compare her with Charles Barkey, as a male counterpart to our female player.

I don't mind saying that I consider it high praise to say that KML may be a female version of Charles Barkley, even if I have to say so myself, since no one else sought to acknowledge that likewise obvious, but nonetheless flattering to KML comparison.

Come on people, stay on the high road, if you please!

You can deal with this manner of posting, can't you? :-/

Reaction Score
I think your reference to the effect of parallax in connection with player height is inaccurate, or, at a minimum, way overstated. The information imparted in the photos is useful. It may not satisfy you, it may be useless to you, but that descriptor does not apply beyond that.

For one thing, the information is useful to me in forming the opinion that KML is 5-10 and not 6-0 as listed.

Query: do you disagree with the assertion KML is 5-10, if so, why do you disagree?
Are you sure the camera was parallel to the floor and the line of players was perpendicular to the camera and the players were standing on the flat level part of the floor and they were not on their toes?

Reaction Score
What difference does it make whether KML is 5' 10" or 6'? Do we tell her to pay back her scholarship because her height was listed incorrectly for us fans? Does the listing of her height change reality? What if every other player on the team is listed incorrectly and only KML is correct? What if they lining up height-wise is only approximate. How much time does or should the team spend on listed height concerns? Have we been shortchanged as fans? Are Geno, Chris, Shea and Marissa guilty of dereliction of duty bringing in such a vertically challenged player? Does Geno play her in the wrong spot on the floor since she obviously is too short to play amongst the bigs? Is our last year National Championship invalid because somebody looking at a photo has determined that her listed height is incorrect?
None, No, No, Doesn't matter, One hour, Yes, No, No(Geno never makes mistakes),No

Reaction Score
Are you sure the camera was parallel to the floor and the line of players was perpendicular to the camera and the players were standing on the flat level part of the floor and they were not on their toes?

No, and no, and no, and no. Pictures are almost always inconclusive in one or more particulars. So are measuring devices of almost every type or kind.

Last time I had a check up, nurse measured me at 1" less than that claimed on my drivers license. Nurse was rather short. Upon re measurement, with the level placed at the apex of my pinhead, I had only lost 1/4" of height, thus preserving the accuracy of the drivers license.

This year, Hartley has officially gained an inch, now being 5-8 according to UCONN listing. I'm thinking an accurate measurement would call for other changes, including KML at -2.

Does it matter?

I think there's something to be said in favor of accurate height measurement of basketball players, especially those in elite programs.

Reaction Score
No, and no, and no, and no. Pictures are almost always inconclusive in one or more particulars. So are measuring devices of almost every type or kind.

Last time I had a check up, nurse measured me at 1" less than that claimed on my drivers license. Nurse was rather short. Upon re measurement, with the level placed at the apex of my pinhead, I had only lost 1/4" of height, thus preserving the accuracy of the drivers license.

This year, Hartley has officially gained an inch, now being 5-8 according to UCONN listing. I'm thinking an accurate measurement would call for other changes, including KML at -2.

Does it matter?

I think there's something to be said in favor of accurate height measurement of basketball players, especially those in elite programs.
Then, in your opinion, pictures are not an accurate way to measure someone's height. I only agree when the pictures are skewed and the proper perspective is lost. But some of these pictures are straight on, and the players(assuming they are wearing the same height shoes) heights are able to be approximated with respect to each other. I'm not sure that it is important to know their exact height. But the mystery will continue until someone puts a tape on them or we get a video from a 7-11 with KML leaving and her height can be determined by the rulers on the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom