Dog days of August..., so why not discuss KML height controversy... | The Boneyard

Dog days of August..., so why not discuss KML height controversy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The video clip in the current Brianna Banks interview thread contains a pregame segment that shows last year's team in the same order, arranged by height, as a photo previously posted in another BY height controversy thread. The height order is the same in both. I have no way of knowing whether the same game or different games are depicted. Odds favor two different games, I suppose.

The BB video link is:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/081413aaa.html

The pregame lineup is at 30sec+/-

Based on what is now two height ordered photos, likely from two different games, and certainly two different cameras and angles, it is all but certain that KML is 5-10 and not 6-0 as listed:

image.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The second photo is fully distorted by parallax. Useless in this situation.

Reaction Score
The second photo is fully distorted by parallax. Useless in this situation.

I think your reference to the effect of parallax in connection with player height is inaccurate, or, at a minimum, way overstated. The information imparted in the photos is useful. It may not satisfy you, it may be useless to you, but that descriptor does not apply beyond that.

For one thing, the information is useful to me in forming the opinion that KML is 5-10 and not 6-0 as listed.

Query: do you disagree with the assertion KML is 5-10, if so, why do you disagree?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am surprised but grateful that KML's loss of 2 inches in height did not adversely impact her shooting! :D

Reaction Score
I hate that dude. :mad: Distorts everything.

Your hatred is exaggerated. Not everything is distorted. Distance relationships and apparent motion are distorted by parallax, but in this instance, the information imparted by use of the two photos serve to confirm KML Is more likely 5-10 than 6-0.

Can't blame parallax for that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think your reference to the effect of parallax in connection with player height is inaccurate, or, at a minimum, way overstated. The information imparted in the photos is useful. It may not satisfy you, it may be useless to you, but that descriptor does not apply beyond that.

For one thing, the information is useful to me in forming the opinion that KML is 5-10 and not 6-0 as listed.

Query: do you disagree with the assertion KML is 5-10, if so, why do you disagree?
I specified the second photo, and yes, there is parallax/perspectivevdistortion in it. Most notably parallax and perspective distortion is significant when using wide angle images in near field shots distorting the size of objects closer to the lens in relative size compared to those farther away. You are correct in that parallax is the result of distortion from two image systems while simple perspective distortion occurs with a single optic system.

Reaction Score
What difference does it make whether KML is 5' 10" or 6'? Do we tell her to pay back her scholarship because her height was listed incorrectly for us fans? Does the listing of her height change reality? What if every other player on the team is listed incorrectly and only KML is correct? What if they lining up height-wise is only approximate. How much time does or should the team spend on listed height concerns? Have we been shortchanged as fans? Are Geno, Chris, Shea and Marissa guilty of dereliction of duty bringing in such a vertically challenged player? Does Geno play her in the wrong spot on the floor since she obviously is too short to play amongst the bigs? Is our last year National Championship invalid because somebody looking at a photo has determined that her listed height is incorrect?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What difference does it make whether KML is 5' 10" or 6'? Do we tell her to pay back her scholarship because her height was listed incorrectly for us fans? Does the listing of her height change reality? What if every other player on the team is listed incorrectly and only KML is correct? What if they lining up height-wise is only approximate. How much time does or should the team spend on listed height concerns? Have we been shortchanged as fans? Are Geno, Chris, Shea and Marissa guilty of dereliction of duty bringing in such a vertically challenged player? Does Geno play her in the wrong spot on the floor since she obviously is too short to play amongst the bigs? Is our last year National Championship invalid because somebody looking at a photo has determined that her listed height is incorrect?
I believe the OP was speaking tongue-in-cheek, so to speak. Bria Hartley has been listed as 5'7" on most every UCONN roster list since the day she arrived on campus, and it's obvious to everyone else that she's a legit 5'10". I do think this year I read that they upped Bria's height to 5'8", still a good 2" shorter than her real height.

I'm guessing the OP figured since it's down time and summer time, it might be fun to discuss her height. Also, throw into the mix Morgan Tuck - she's listed at 6'2", but I think she's just under 6'1"...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have an issue with stating that the picture shows the team in height order. It's not fact that it is.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
additionally, in that first photograph, KML appears to be not standing up straight(ly).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Your hatred is exaggerated. Not everything is distorted. Distance relationships and apparent motion are distorted by parallax, but in this instance, the information imparted by use of the two photos serve to confirm KML Is more likely 5-10 than 6-0.

Can't blame parallax for that.
I didn't, ice did. ;)

Freaking parallax or not, I still think KML is 6-0.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe the OP was speaking tongue-in-cheek, so to speak.

I'm guessing the OP figured since it's down time and summer time, it might be fun to discuss her height.
eh, that's not really jp's MO.

Reaction Score
I have an issue with stating that the picture shows the team in height order. It's not fact that it is.

IMO, you are being obtuse in a context where there is little reason or need to be that way. All one has to do us look at the photos, first the one, then the other, to establish that they appear to show the players in descending height order. That is what looking at the pictures establishes by way of visual observation.

True, one can take a contrary position, one can demand better proof or one can say that no, KML is taller than Kelly by an inch and shorter than Morgan by 2 inches. You can say that; however, that is not what the visual information shows.

One other thing, in the OP I said I did not know whether the two photos, each showing the same player order were taken at the same game or different ones.

I'm now willing to assert they are from different ones. If you look at Brianna Banks, it is apparent that she has on a different warm up jacket in the two. Hence, it is proper to deduce the photos are from different games.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
IMO, you are being obtuse in a context where there is little reason or need to be that way. All one has to do us look at the photos, first the one, then the other, to establish that they appear to show the players in descending height order. That is what looking at the pictures establishes by way of visual observation.

True, one can take a contrary position, one can demand better proof or one can say that no, KML is taller than Kelly by an inch and shorter than Morgan by 2 inches. You can say that; however, that is not what the visual information shows.

One other thing, in the OP I said I did not know whether the two photos, each showing the same player order were taken at the same game or different ones.

I'm now willing to assert they are from different ones. If you look at Brianna Banks, it is apparent that she has on a different warm up jacket in the two. Hence, it is proper to deduce the photos are from different games.

And you still have no proof that they are in order by height. None. They are generally in order by height, but to use those photos to say that Doty is taller or the same height as KML is as obtuse as it gets.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Eric is correct. You, on the other hand, are not.

Just so you know :-o
I highly, and I mean highly doubt that. If this were, it would be a great departure from your normal posts.

See?

Reaction Score
And you still have no proof that they are in order by height. None. They are generally in order by height, but to use those photos to say that Doty is taller or the same height as KML is as obtuse as it gets.

DD, what do you use to say that KML is taller by 2 inches than Dity, pray tell?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
DD, what do you use to say that KML is taller by 2 inches than Dity, pray tell?
Well for one, he can use the photos you provided. KML looks taller than Doty and Faris in them.

Reaction Score
I highly, and I mean highly doubt that. If this were, it would be a great departure from your normal posts.

See?

The one doesn't negate the other. We are here engaged in dogs says banter, hopefully having some fun thinking about the team now, even though start of practice is two months away, first game farther than that.

True, I think KML is 5-10, not 6-0. However, she also weighs 185 and can, therefore, play the 4 with the best of them, play the 3 better than all of them, play the 2 if that's what the situation calls for and take a stab at the 5 in her spare time.

Are you having fun yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01