Does Geno really want a loss? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does Geno really want a loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think he wants a loss but I think he expects one or more in the next month............Geno admitted that he made this difficult schedule assuming that Morgan Tuck was returning for a final season...............I thought the players (especially KLS) looked very weary after the last game and I don't even want to think about how banged up they're going to be after the next week or two.............they'll get some relief with the conference schedule but I view South Florida as a major threat.........with this short bench, UConn will loose 1-3 games but any injury to important starters might mean even more losses

Reaction Score
I couldn't disagree more. This team has plenty of fire and they are what they are. It would be extremely faux for any player on this team, on any UCONN team, to bang their fist on a chair.
I agree. This team doesn't have anyone capable of it.

Reaction Score
When did Geno admit this? Baylor is the only "real" addition to the UCONN schedule of any consequence this year.
He said it a couple of times in his press conferences. Maybe he was joking, maybe not, hard to tell sometimes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
When did Geno admit this? Baylor is the only "real" addition to the UCONN schedule of any consequence this year.
I believe the comment about expecting Tuck back this year was said in jest and I believe Geno said it after the Baylor game. In addition to Baylor, the Huskies added Texas & Dayton this year.

Reaction Score

He said it in an interview long before the season started..............don'remember whether it was a video or print interview but I remember being surprised by his statement...........will try to look for it

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Geno didn't say "assuming", he said "hoping" that Tuck would return. I was puzzled by the remark thinking that perhaps at the time he was joking.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score

I think it was motivational. Geno also asked "do you see me getting upset?" I do not feel Geno want this team to lose, on the sidelines he be all in their faces yelling.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Geno is a masterbaster, he lays it on thick throughout the whole season so his team doesn't get dry.

No coach wants to lose. Geno, in his hall of fame career, is smart to know by now how to turn up the heat in the oven.

Reaction Score
Very hard to beat good teams twice in a season. Very safe bet that UConn will play again one or more of the same teams in the NCAA tourney that is on their regular season schedule assuming the Huskies make it far enough. Would rather get the loss out of the way before March.

I agree with you and many others that say-----An EARLY loss isn't bad, can be beneficial, can motivate. Better now than in early April.

Reaction Score
I hope you're right. The big difference is that the 2014/15 team was defending national champions with every expectation of repeating and repeating again. This year's team is playing from far lower expectations, so it's not clear how angry they will be after just a loss or two. I think that was the purpose of the brutal Thanksgiving weekend practice and Geno's over-the-top comments at last night's presser. To get these kids angry.
I agree. And Geno' is pushing the buttons saying that if Pheesa scores 40 points that will balance out the player she is guarding at the other end. What? And I can't stop seeing Pheesa blocking shots, especially that one at the end of the FSU game. Sounds like the old "Tiffany couldn't guard a chair," tactic. Students of Coaching take notes.

Reaction Score
I don't think he wants a loss but I think he expects one or more in the next month..Geno admitted that he made this difficult schedule assuming that Morgan Tuck was returning for a final season.....I thought the players (especially KLS) looked very weary after the last game and I don't even want to think about how banged up they're going to be after the next week or two...they'll get some relief with the conference schedule but I view South Florida as a major threat....with this short bench, UConn will loose 1-3 games but any injury to important starters might mean even more losses
I doubt that Geno ever "expects" to lose. He knows his team can lose. But how can you expect to lose when you have only lost 1 game in the last 127? And certainly he did not expect to lose that game to that inferior Stanford team. When this 2016-17 team is playing at it's best, I think only South Carolina can stay with them. That will be a big game.

Reaction Score
Very hard to beat good teams twice in a season. Very safe bet that UConn will play again one or more of the same teams in the NCAA tourney that is on their regular season schedule assuming the Huskies make it far enough. Would rather get the loss out of the way before March.
Aw, let's just leave the beat them twice and leave the losses for next year, when we can't lose.

Reaction Score
I don't think he wants a loss but I think he expects one or more in the next month..Geno admitted that he made this difficult schedule assuming that Morgan Tuck was returning for a final season.....I thought the players (especially KLS) looked very weary after the last game and I don't even want to think about how banged up they're going to be after the next week or two...they'll get some relief with the conference schedule but I view South Florida as a major threat....with this short bench, UConn will loose 1-3 games but any injury to important starters might mean even more losses
All the more reason to give the few subs he has more minutes.
Even though many see Geno's statements of the team and what he views as they needing a loss,as motivation and such,I can understand some of what could have led up to these statements in the first place.
Basketball,unlike all other sports,is a continuous effort(except for timeouts),where as other sports get short breaks in between plays,innings,etc.
To be a very good team in basketball,one must play every minute that they are in the game,with the importance of each minute being important,not only because of the outcome,but also the retrospect of one's efforts when they play.
In basketball,more than many sports,effort,or lack of,can be very contagious.One slacks off just a little,and it can catch fire with other team mates,to the point where,instead of playing within one selves,a panic could set in,leading to bad choices and decisions on the court that one would normally avoid.
Even if you practice hard,what you do in game could be different,in the belief someone will pick you up,or hold the line,even if you slack a bit.

If you have someone on the bench that can come in and light a fire under their team mates,it is a luxury,because many times,there is no such person available.
Our coach sees what we would not normally see,and I think he sees the little things more clearly,then what we see.
There is no such thing as perfection,but there is such a thing as,at your best,in everything you do.I think this is what coach is trying to impress on each girl under his charge.
Coach realizes that the way you live your life is affected by your efforts,more than anything else,and this is,what I believe,is the lesson here,more than just winning and losing.
Just my two cents.Head bang
Not every sub has to light a fire. There job also is to rest the starters fir the long haul.

Reaction Score
He doesn't want a loss, he wants the FEAR of a loss! Actually, the belief in the possibility of a loss and the determination to come out blasting from the opening tip to avoid it.
Exactly, Zorro. Geno didn't build the record he has by wanting, or expecting a loss. I bet he enters every game expecting to win. He realizes that some games will be difficult to win. But that's not the same as expecting a loss. Geno may not expect to go undefeated this year, but he enters each game expecting and wanting to win. That's the only way to go 126 and 1. And he didn't expect to lose that 1.

Reaction Score
Yes, a couple of losses seem likely, but frankly I expected them to lose vs Baylor's loaded team. What if this is one of those teams that never looks great, but just keeps finding a way to win?
How did Diana Taurasi's junior and senior season turn out? Neither of those teams really showed me or just about anyone else a whole lot of talent (beside's Diana) and seemed destined to fail miserably and somehow they won ugly and often and ran the table in the tournament. I think this is a far, far more talented team OVERALL than those teams so we may all be surprised.

Reaction Score
Even though many see Geno's statements of the team and what he views as they needing a loss,as motivation and such,I can understand some of what could have led up to these statements in the first place.
Basketball,unlike all other sports,is a continuous effort(except for timeouts),where as other sports get short breaks in between plays,innings,etc.
To be a very good team in basketball,one must play every minute that they are in the game,with the importance of each minute being important,not only because of the outcome,but also the retrospect of one's efforts when they play.
In basketball,more than many sports,effort,or lack of,can be very contagious.One slacks off just a little,and it can catch fire with other team mates,to the point where,instead of playing within one selves,a panic could set in,leading to bad choices and decisions on the court that one would normally avoid.
Even if you practice hard,what you do in game could be different,in the belief someone will pick you up,or hold the line,even if you slack a bit.

If you have someone on the bench that can come in and light a fire under their team mates,it is a luxury,because many times,there is no such person available.
Our coach sees what we would not normally see,and I think he sees the little things more clearly,then what we see.
There is no such thing as perfection,but there is such a thing as,at your best,in everything you do.I think this is what coach is trying to impress on each girl under his charge.
Coach realizes that the way you live your life is affected by your efforts,more than anything else,and this is,what I believe,is the lesson here,more than just winning and losing.
Just my two cents.Head bang
I liked a great deal of what you said and concur but was distracted greatly by the plethora of commas (,) everywhere. Most of them were totally unnecessary. I'm not trying to be a smarta** but as mentioned, it made your remarks appreciably harder to focus on.

Reaction Score
Great posts are all over the place. Nice thread.
Agree with those who say Geno does not want a loss. However, Geno knows how to use a loss!
Agree with those who say this team DOES have fire. Also, Nurse might be the one to smack a chair to get the attention of the team.
This team has a slightly different chemistry than last year. IMHO this is Lou's team and Pheese is the side-kick. Kia and Gabby have their own place. Lou has said over the last two years that she wants to be the best and "she wants to enjoy the journey." I have heard- Let's have fun out there. As the team leader she sets the tone somewhat (of course the coaches set THE TONE) and Lou --with Pheese--have fun in their hearts. Lou has said it and others too--this team is a little nutty and off-beat. Chong is not the leader so there is really no "old head" leadership. Personally, I like the vibe. IMHO Geno senses this and is a little concerned that the killer instinct has not come fast enough. He would like the 15 point spurt in the first quarter and then the "foot on the neck" continuation. IMO this team has not fully learned that yet and Geno feels a loss would get their attention. **And we all know that it would!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tara is the best coach at getting her team to focus on today, this game, this moment - they can be having an off year, but can still pull rabbits out of the hat. She did it to Uconn two years ago, she did it to ND last year. It is an impressive quality that other coaches have a hard time bringing to their teams.

In coming back to this because I really think it is a significant strength of Tara's:
The difference between Tara and Dawn, Kim, and Muffet is that while she is just as invested in her team and their success, I don't think she has ever felt emotionally connected to wins/losses against Geno specifically. The only coach that may have raised that kind of personal competitive ire in her was Pat and I am not sure about that either. With the other three listed - I think Geno specifically, but other rivalries as well get to them on a personal level and in some way that gets translated to their teams and creates an added pressure on them. The game becomes too important and in little ways that becomes a problem in their execution. For Dawn, with the shortest history with Geno and with the shortest history at the top of WCBB, this might be a projection by me, but for the other two I think it is palpable. You would think with that three year stretch of success, Muffet would have gotten beyond it - but without a championship in those three years I think they weren't satisfying enough, and since then, it has fallen back into the same pattern - competitive, but coming up short, and Geno carrying away the prize.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am reminded of something Geno said a while ago and I have quoted a few times - when he was trying to get to the top, heading into an important game his thinking pattern was always 'we're going to do this, this, and this, and they're not going to be ready for it, and we can beat them' but once he reached the top and everyone was gunning for him his thinking became 'oh, no, they are going to try this this and this and we're going to have no answer for it and we'll lose'. A shift from optimism to pessimism leading up to games, or as a certain English poet put it 'Uneasy lies the head, that wears the crown!'

After watching this postgame and seeing Geno's easiness, and his reference to all the great teams coming up and how they better kick his team's ass - I think he is enjoying playing the underdog this year. He is no longer worrying about what the other team might do to attack his team, he is scheming about how he is going to come out and surprise them. I think he doesn't see his team as #2, in his mind and approach his team is #22 and he is the underdog against all of the ranked teams coming up in December. Forget about what the silly coaches and the misguided media members actually vote - none of them believe Uconn could beat Baylor, or will beat ND, Maryland, TX, or OSU, and Geno is feeding that to his team as well.

(and damnit - stop reporting those silly point spreads from Vegas - Uconn over Baylor by double digits, someone spent a week in Colorado eating funny brownies to come up with those numbers! :cool:)

Reaction Score
In coming back to this because I really think it is a significant strength of Tara's:
The difference between Tara and Dawn, Kim, and Muffet is that while she is just as invested in her team and their success, I don't think she has ever felt emotionally connected to wins/losses against Geno specifically. The only coach that may have raised that kind of personal competitive ire in her was Pat and I am not sure about that either. With the other three listed - I think Geno specifically, but other rivalries as well get to them on a personal level and in some way that gets translated to their teams and creates an added pressure on them. The game becomes too important and in little ways that becomes a problem in their execution. For Dawn, with the shortest history with Geno and with the shortest history at the top of WCBB, this might be a projection by me, but for the other two I think it is palpable. You would think with that three year stretch of success, Muffet would have gotten beyond it - but without a championship in those three years I think they weren't satisfying enough, and since then, it has fallen back into the same pattern - competitive, but coming up short, and Geno carrying away the prize.
Helpful post, UcMiami: thanks!
Of course, Muffet lives in maybe the smallest athletic fishbowl in the world and I'm sure there's a huge amount of self-imposed pressure on her. Then again, Geno's recent aggressive playing down of expectations can be his way of lessening his own terror of having to shake Muffet's hand in South Bend after she ends his winning streak!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great posts are all over the place. Nice thread.
Agree with those who say Geno does not want a loss. However, Geno knows how to use a loss!
Agree with those who say this team DOES have fire. Also, Nurse might be the one to smack a chair to get the attention of the team.
This team has a slightly different chemistry than last year. IMHO this is Lou's team and Pheese is the side-kick. Kia and Gabby have their own place. Lou has said over the last two years that she wants to be the best and "she wants to enjoy the journey." I have heard- Let's have fun out there. As the team leader she sets the tone somewhat (of course the coaches set THE TONE) and Lou --with Pheese--have fun in their hearts. Lou has said it and others too--this team is a little nutty and off-beat. Chong is not the leader so there is really no "old head" leadership. Personally, I like the vibe. IMHO Geno senses this and is a little concerned that the killer instinct has not come fast enough. He would like the 15 point spurt in the first quarter and then the "foot on the neck" continuation. IMO this team has not fully learned that yet and Geno feels a loss would get their attention. **And we all know that it would!
Nice post - and I think you get a little glimpse of the fire that burns behind the big grin and goofy giggles in Lou on plays like that 3 and 1 she hit - sitting on her butt after the foul as the shot went in and the fist pump and primal scream! It is there behind the Cali girl facade!

(But I also think Kia is the driving force on the team - Lou may be the leader of the offense and the designated scorer overall, but Kia is driving this bus)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nice post - and I think you get a little glimpse of the fire that burns behind the big grin and goofy giggles in Lou on plays like that 3 and 1 she hit - sitting on her butt after the foul as the shot went in and the fist pump and primal scream! It is there behind the Cali girl facade!

(But I also think Kia is the driving force on the team - Lou may be the leader of the offense and the designated scorer overall, but Kia is driving this bus)
There may be a shortage of height, depth & experience on this team, but there really is no shortage of leadership. Lou, Kia, Gabby and Pheeze, in her own quiet way, have all demonstrated leadership this season.

It's part of the heritage of UConn WBB. This year's leaders learned from the very best last year, and last year's big 3 learned from those that came before them and so on....and I predict that by virtue of her PG role on the team and her fearless attitude, Danger will be a leader of this team by the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom