Does Geno really want a loss? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does Geno really want a loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great posts are all over the place. Nice thread.
Agree with those who say Geno does not want a loss. However, Geno knows how to use a loss!
Agree with those who say this team DOES have fire. Also, Nurse might be the one to smack a chair to get the attention of the team.
This team has a slightly different chemistry than last year. IMHO this is Lou's team and Pheese is the side-kick. Kia and Gabby have their own place. Lou has said over the last two years that she wants to be the best and "she wants to enjoy the journey." I have heard- Let's have fun out there. As the team leader she sets the tone somewhat (of course the coaches set THE TONE) and Lou --with Pheese--have fun in their hearts. Lou has said it and others too--this team is a little nutty and off-beat. Chong is not the leader so there is really no "old head" leadership. Personally, I like the vibe. IMHO Geno senses this and is a little concerned that the killer instinct has not come fast enough. He would like the 15 point spurt in the first quarter and then the "foot on the neck" continuation. IMO this team has not fully learned that yet and Geno feels a loss would get their attention. **And we all know that it would!
With all due respect, I think it is inaccurate and probably inappropriate to refer to Pheesa as a sidekick to Lou on this team. I know it was meant probably in jest and with the best intention, I just don't think that it is accurate. Each member brings a strength and they complement one another. Lou scores the most points because for the most part this year, she takes the most shots and more plays are run for her to score. Obviously not a bad thing as she has the advantage on most players who guard her (she is taller than most wings and guards). Pheesa and Gabby on the other hand are usually disadvantaged (in term of height and size inside) against most teams in spite of their production. The major selling point of UCONN women's basketball and the IMHO one of the reasons that even casual observers enjoy it is the "team first" mentality....ball movement and cutting until an open person with the best chance of scoring takes the shot. Now, if you are referring to "leadership", that is who leads by examples, makes the others better and plays hard all the time, my vote is Gabby. She continuously sets screens to get her team mates open (ala Dolson), crashes the Board to get extra possessions and plays really hard on defense. Kia and Saniya also play really hard all the time. Saniya may have defensive issues occasionally simply because sometimes desire along may not be enough. Pheesa is always underneath with bigger, stronger players for the most part, yet she still excels. Lou, for all of her scoring sometimes I observe that she takes plays off... sometimes just standing for 5-10 seconds, no screening for others, no hard cuts...until she gets the ball and then she shoots, even if she is not really open. Not meant as a knock on her as sometimes old habits are hard to break (she was primarily a shooter and a scorer in HS). We all want our young ladies to succeed and be "fierce"leaders in the words of Mr. Ogwumike, but we must appreciate them all and evaluate them with clarity.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Three loses this month is no longer possible. Three loses next month not likely. I'm predicting 2 loses for the season 1 Home to South Carolina and 1 one road at either MD or ND, with revenge coming in the Final Four.

You know I'm on record saying UConn will not go undefeated this year. Where or when the loses will come, I don't know. I have a pretty good guess, but I'll keep that under the turban. Expecting this team to lose a game or two is not a stretch. They are not invincible. If that last second 3 point shot had gone in for Florida State (we would have lost by 1), we would not be having this parley.
If I'm wrong, and UConn wins it all going undefeated (and I truly hope they do), I'll change my name and avatar. I will no longer be worthy to carry on the name and tradition of Carnac the Magnificent. I'll pack up the turban and cape, and give them to charity. UConn could very easily lose to a team currently flying under the radar. What's the old saying.........crap happens. :)

Reaction Score
If Dangerfield is out for a time, there will be more than three losses. His bench is very thin and he continues to be stubborn, I think, in using Butler and Irwin in blowouts like last night. More minutes can only help them and the team.

Or maybe one of the all-time greatest coach ever has it right?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Can we make a deal with fate? Yes, by all means, get the loss over with if we have to, but for heavan's sake, could we at least muster a win in South Bend?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Can we make a deal with fate? Yes, by all means, get the loss over with if we have to, but for heavan's sake, could we at least muster a win in South Bend?

I agree. Notre Dame is NOT a team I would be comfortable losing to. I'd rather lose to USF than ND.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I think it is inaccurate and probably inappropriate to refer to Pheesa as a sidekick to Lou on this team. I know it was meant probably in jest and with the best intention, I just don't think that it is accurate. Each member brings a strength and they complement one another. Lou scores the most points because for the most part this year, she takes the most shots and more plays are run for her to score. Obviously not a bad thing as she has the advantage on most players who guard her (she is taller than most wings and guards). Pheesa and Gabby on the other hand are usually disadvantaged (in term of height and size inside) against most teams in spite of their production. The major selling point of UCONN women's basketball and the IMHO one of the reasons that even casual observers enjoy it is the "team first" mentality....ball movement and cutting until an open person with the best chance of scoring takes the shot. Now, if you are referring to "leadership", that is who leads by examples, makes the others better and plays hard all the time, my vote is Gabby. She continuously sets screens to get her team mates open (ala Dolson), crashes the Board to get extra possessions and plays really hard on defense. Kia and Saniya also play really hard all the time. Saniya may have defensive issues occasionally simply because sometimes desire along may not be enough. Pheesa is always underneath with bigger, stronger players for the most part, yet she still excels. Lou, for all of her scoring sometimes I observe that she takes plays off... sometimes just standing for 5-10 seconds, no screening for others, no hard cuts...until she gets the ball and then she shoots, even if she is not really open. Not meant as a knock on her as sometimes old habits are hard to break (she was primarily a shooter and a scorer in HS). We all want our young ladies to succeed and be "fierce"leaders in the words of Mr. Ogwumike, but we must appreciate them all and evaluate them with clarity.

Hey AussieHusky --That's what I like about the BY. Well written posts that present different perspectives. Jus sayin, Sidekick was not used as a "lesser than." Partner (in fun and crime) would probably be more palatable I suppose. A minor point in that I wanted to simply show that the two of them are "in it together." No problem.
IMHO Lou sees herself as the leader on this team. But as UC and others mention--so does Gabby or Kia or Pheese. Danger probably sees herself as the leader when she is on the floor. That is exactly what Geno and Staff strive to develop.
As some have said, on offense Lou is probably the leader. Defensively, Gabby or Kia take charge. Pheese fills the gaps all over the floor. I like this team and it's fun watching them grow.
As an aside--ND does not scare me. I think the game will be very close and be won by 3 or less. Who wins? I like UConn. I have not seen Maryland yet so I can't say how that game will go. South Carolina is the team I fear the most. All the others don't worry me as much either. Let's get it on.

Reaction Score
Great posts are all over the place. Nice thread.
Agree with those who say Geno does not want a loss. However, Geno knows how to use a loss!
Agree with those who say this team DOES have fire. Also, Nurse might be the one to smack a chair to get the attention of the team.
This team has a slightly different chemistry than last year. IMHO this is Lou's team and Pheese is the side-kick. Kia and Gabby have their own place. Lou has said over the last two years that she wants to be the best and "she wants to enjoy the journey." I have heard- Let's have fun out there. As the team leader she sets the tone somewhat (of course the coaches set THE TONE) and Lou --with Pheese--have fun in their hearts. Lou has said it and others too--this team is a little nutty and off-beat. Chong is not the leader so there is really no "old head" leadership. Personally, I like the vibe. IMHO Geno senses this and is a little concerned that the killer instinct has not come fast enough. He would like the 15 point spurt in the first quarter and then the "foot on the neck" continuation. IMO this team has not fully learned that yet and Geno feels a loss would get their attention. **And we all know that it would!

Talk about good posting!! I agree Chong is not the leader--should be--but sitting the bench for nearly 3 years ---she loses her abilities to lead if she had any or those who played with her didn't see her as a leader while sitting. Being a leader takes a lot of qualities but also a buy in by those you are asked to lead.
This Katie Lou's team--I don't doubt that!
In the past Geno has had teams that led for parts of the game and just couldn't put it away--Killer instinct. I believe that is why--he press the gas pedal for so long in games---he has called them girly girls--who didn't tough it out and win big.
I believe that is a fair assessment of the team---they have not fully learned how to be big winners.

Reaction Score
How did Diana Taurasi's junior and senior season turn out? Neither of those teams really showed me or just about anyone else a whole lot of talent (beside's Diana) and seemed destined to fail miserably and somehow they won ugly and often and ran the table in the tournament. I think this is a far, far more talented team OVERALL than those teams so we may all be surprised.
Because they had Diana and this team has no one close to her!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I guess Geno is going to have to wait another game to "get his ass beat." :)

LOL, good one oldude. Best post of the day!!!! ;)

Reaction Score
I think Geno would not really mind a loss. I think he would be incredibly nervous if they entered the NCAA's undefeated. They would mean a record win streak in NCAA history and going for 5 Championships in a row with a very young team. He would be very nervous the pressure of the records would get to them in the tourney. The media would be continuously asking about it and the target by other teams would be even bigger to end both streaks. A regular season close loss to ND and/or S.Carolina would be fine in his book.

Reaction Score
Because they had Diana and this team has no one close to her!
With out a doubt there is /was only one Diana--and only one Stewie. But I'm not a believer there are not a few close.
Scoring--Katie Lou Toughness--Kia dependable--Collier/Gabby Plays with abandon--Dangerfield DT had All these qualities and an EGO big enough to handle them--still does. But these five are filling some voids as a unit. Once in a lifetime players come along--ONLY ONCE in a life time!! We'll have to await reincarnation!!! I have a feeling Dangerfield may be one too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With out a doubt there is /was only one Diana--and only one Stewie. But I'm not a believer there are not a few close.
Scoring--Katie Lou Toughness--Kia dependable--Collier/Gabby Plays with abandon--Dangerfield DT had All these qualities and an EGO big enough to handle them--still does. But these five are filling some voids as a unit. Once in a lifetime players come along--ONLY ONCE in a life time!! We'll have to await reincarnation!!! I have a feeling Dangerfield may be one too.
There is a unique kind of feeling building with this group that I don't remember before - a feeling that we are all in this together and are going to make it work. They don't seem to have a real leader, nor does it seem that they really need one, at least so far. Maybe an 'Alpha' will emerge as the year goes on and they face more adversity, but I can't see one at the moment.

Reaction Score
There is a unique kind of feeling building with this group that I don't remember before - a feeling that we are all in this together and are going to make it work. They don't seem to have a real leader, nor does it seem that they really need one, at least so far. Maybe an 'Alpha' will emerge as the year goes on and they face more adversity, but I can't see one at the moment.
To add to your statement UcMiami.... a feeling that we can't let the Program down, to paraphrase Gabby I think after the Texas game. She essentially said that they feel that they met a great program built by the sweat and hard work of those that preceded them, so it would be disrespectful if they did not play hard or keep the tradition. IMO, Geno & CD have built a behemoth of a program, one that almost sustains itself. They built a program by recruiting and getting the buy-ins of the right kind of kids, be successful and win championships, graduate them and recruit other like-minded kids and show them what their predecessors have done. Now these kids in addition to their desire to be great (because that's the kind of kids they are) also have the understanding that they do not want to be the ones to 'degrade' a successful program that others built, so they work their tails off to keep the tradition. This is what I love about UCONN women's basketball and the young women who play....the feeling that they are obligated to give their all to continue a tradition. This is powerful as no one person can feel that they are indispensible to the Progam's success. This is genius!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If this year's team continues to defy Geno by not "getting their ass beat" UConn may never lose again, and that could be really bad for women's basketball.......:)

Reaction Score
Yes, so exciting to watch these kids. Made both more exciting and yet also more comforting by the fact that, except for Saniya, they'll all be back next year and with amazing reinforcements to add to the mix, with more to come the year after. So, we're seeing just the beginning of a multi-year post-Stewie project here. It's like watching a Nova series on the origins of the universe (well, maybe a little exaggeration here...)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I am reminded of something Geno said a while ago and I have quoted a few times - when he was trying to get to the top, heading into an important game his thinking pattern was always 'we're going to do this, this, and this, and they're not going to be ready for it, and we can beat them' but once he reached the top and everyone was gunning for him his thinking became 'oh, no, they are going to try this this and this and we're going to have no answer for it and we'll lose'. A shift from optimism to pessimism leading up to games, or as a certain English poet put it 'Uneasy lies the head, that wears the crown!'

After watching this postgame and seeing Geno's easiness, and his reference to all the great teams coming up and how they better kick his team's ass - I think he is enjoying playing the underdog this year. He is no longer worrying about what the other team might do to attack his team, he is scheming about how he is going to come out and surprise them. I think he doesn't see his team as #2, in his mind and approach his team is #22 and he is the underdog against all of the ranked teams coming up in December. Forget about what the silly coaches and the misguided media members actually vote - none of them believe Uconn could beat Baylor, or will beat ND, Maryland, TX, or OSU, and Geno is feeding that to his team as well.

(and damnit - stop reporting those silly point spreads from Vegas - Uconn over Baylor by double digits, someone spent a week in Colorado eating funny brownies to come up with those numbers! :cool:)
Just bring this back up after Geno talking about his anticipated pleasure of preparing the team for ND in the TX post game press conference - he said it was his favorite part of the job. I think that speaks to that shift from pessimism back to the optimism of being the underdog in these games, or at least acting like it. He is back to trying to figure out a way to use the smoke and mirrors to hide the deficiencies of his team and find and exploit the opponent's weaknesses. No longer the grand master worrying about some young Geno exposing him, but the younger Geno again, finding ways to undermine his 'masters'.

Reaction Score
Just bring this back up after Geno talking about his anticipated pleasure of preparing the team for ND in the TX post game press conference - he said it was his favorite part of the job. I think that speaks to that shift from pessimism back to the optimism of being the underdog in these games, or at least acting like it. He is back to trying to figure out a way to use the smoke and mirrors to hide the deficiencies of his team and find and exploit the opponent's weaknesses. No longer the grand master worrying about some young Geno exposing him, but the younger Geno again, finding ways to undermine his 'masters'.
Wow, that is some subject-object post-Romanticist interpretation!

Reaction Score
Just realized something weird. If UConn can manage to win a championship this year with fewer 2 or fewer losses, the 2017 Sr class (Chong and Lawler) would have the most wins by a class in history.

Reaction Score

I think if the team finds a way to win the NC this year it will be one of Geno's favorite years. If they win he will have had to seriously out coach people in a few cases, as on paper they aren't the best team. This isn't like last year where UConn had to screw up big time to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom