Does Geno really want a loss? | The Boneyard

Does Geno really want a loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Post game comment, "Well, I hope these ranked teams are good as everybody says they are, because we need to get our ass beat and soon and bad, so that some of our guys will come to realize that this is not as easy as they think it is."

What does everyone think? Motivational psychology or wishful thinking on Geno's part? Also note the backhanded compliment to all of the "ranked teams".

Keep in mind that this team held the Mocs to all of 12 pts in the second half of last night's game.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
We will get beat. I see up to 3 losses looming in the schedule.

And if DePaul gets hot behind the 3 like they did against Syracuse watch out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Post game comment, "Well, I hope these ranked teams are good as everybody says they are, because we need to get our ass beat and soon and bad, so that some of our guys will come to realize that this is not as easy as they think it is."

What does everyone think? Motivational psychology or wishful thinking on Geno's part?

Keep in mind that this team held the Mocs to all of 12 pts in the second half of last night's game.

Geno is master manipulator. First phrase is a shot at the ranked teams on UCONN's schedule, the last two are shots at his team.
Better a loss now than in late March and early April. The last UCONN loss did wonders for focus and motivation but only 4 players on the current team actually experienced that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We will get beat. I see up to 3 losses looming in the schedule.
And if DePaul gets hot behind the 3 like they did against Syracuse watch out.
Three loses this month is no longer possible. Three loses next month not likely. I'm predicting 2 loses for the season 1 Home to South Carolina and 1 one road at either MD or ND, with revenge coming in the Final Four.

Reaction Score
I think he does because he has seen how it works wonders like in the 2014-15 season. The team needs to learn that you're not always going to be able to simply "turn it on" against a good team, and you need to go all out, mentally and physically, for 40 minutes every game no matter the opponent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, a couple of losses seem likely, but frankly I expected them to lose vs Baylor's loaded team. What if this is one of those teams that never looks great, but just keeps finding a way to win?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Three loses this month is no longer possible. Three loses next month not likely. I'm predicting 2 loses for the season 1 Home to South Carolina and 1 one road at either MD or ND, with revenge coming in the Final Four.

I edited this. I didnt mean the month but the season.

Reaction Score
I think he does because he has seen how it works wonders like in the 2014-15 season. The team needs to learn that you're not always going to be able to simply "turn it on" against a good team, and you need to go all out, mentally and physically, for 40 minutes every game no matter the opponent.
I hope you're right. The big difference is that the 2014/15 team was defending national champions with every expectation of repeating and repeating again. This year's team is playing from far lower expectations, so it's not clear how angry they will be after just a loss or two. I think that was the purpose of the brutal Thanksgiving weekend practice and Geno's over-the-top comments at last night's presser. To get these kids angry.

Reaction Score

What does everyone think? Motivational psychology or wishful thinking on Geno's part? Also note the backhanded compliment to all of the "ranked teams".

Geno--hates to lose!!!! IF/When Uconn loses WATCH GENO--he will turn colors, his face will be tight, every word will be hard to come by--Obviously the Quip from Geno was to verbally/orally motivate this team to start playing defense in the first quarter--not the third. Lombardi (I think) said show me a good loser--I'll show you a loser!
Geno isn't a loser!! How about Molly--her minutes were good for a Frosh. I liked her 3 and 3/4th court pass , on the money!!

Reaction Score
I actually think Geno expected a loss by now, and would rather have had it that way. The thing is after years of watching this team, Huskies have always started sluggishly after a break or exams. I mean they led at 1st quarter 21-14, only committed 9 turnovers, gave up 12 total points in the second half. Collier and KLS are going to be very difficult matchups for ANY team. Soniya played very well, and had some very nice assists. Crystal Dangerfield was absent , but takes huskies to a different level when on the court. I hardly think any will want to see them in their bracket come march.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
He doesn't want a loss, he wants the FEAR of a loss! Actually, the belief in the possibility of a loss and the determination to come out blasting from the opening tip to avoid it.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
He doesn't want a loss, he wants the FEAR of a loss! Actually, the belief in the possibility of a loss and the determination to come out blasting from the opening tip to avoid it.

But I don't think he believes he can just instill that kind of fear or determination on his own - he can do it much better after a loss (see Stanford two years ago).

I think he does want an early loss. Part of it is, which Geno are we talking about? Certainly in any kind of game situation, even early season games, Geno wants to win like any good competitor. It's the Geno who is walking around the rest of the time, blowing the whistle at practice, meeting with the other coaches, and talking to the media (especially that!) who would like the benefits that can only come from a loss.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I sort of look at that 2003 team and the loss to end the 70 game streak. That was a team that everyone expected to lose a number of matchups and they kept finding a way to win. They didn't play particularly well in various games during the year, but were able to get by. And they finally did lose in the BE tournament and did focus them for the NCAAs.

This has a feeling of that season - lots of players in new roles, questionable firepower, but a lot of scrappy players. I don't think a loss is inevitable, but I do think one is likely. The schedule as a whole is daunting, but none of the individual games is that perilous - and importantly none of the players on any of the teams has every won a game against Uconn - ND has the institutional memory of winning but that was four years ago and those players are all gone.

Tara is the best coach at getting her team to focus on today, this game, this moment - they can be having an off year, but can still pull rabbits out of the hat. She did it to Uconn two years ago, she did it to ND last year. It is an impressive quality that other coaches have a hard time bringing to their teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with BroadwayVA that Geno hates to lose, but when he put together this brutal pre-conference schedule for his inexperienced, undersized, undermanned team, somewhere, deep down inside, he probably expected a loss or two.

As for his comments, I think Geno is trying to work two different outcomes. He is trying to get this team to continually prove him wrong by winning games they have no right to win. Secondly, if and when these Huskies finally lose a game or two, he doesn't want this team to feel debilitated with the loss of their aura of invincibility. He wants them to know that "Coach saw this coming" and we just need to work harder to see that it doesn't happen again.

As several of you have pointed out, the last time the Huskies experienced a loss, they made a commitment to themselves to do everything possible to see to it that they never experienced another loss, and so far, that's been exactly what they have accomplished.

Reaction Score
I actually think Geno expected a loss by now, and would rather have had it that way. The thing is after years of watching this team, Huskies have always started sluggishly after a break or exams. I mean they led at 1st quarter 21-14, only committed 9 turnovers, gave up 12 total points in the second half. Collier and KLS are going to be very difficult matchups for ANY team. Soniya played very well, and had some very nice assists. Crystal Dangerfield was absent , but takes huskies to a different level when on the court. I hardly think any will want to see them in their bracket come march.

Since I don't read Geno's mind and don't have a conduit to his feelings--I'm making a guess. Like you I think he EXPECTED/EXPECTS a loss--that does not mean he WANTS one. If given the choice, I think he likes his current status. Does he want to kick some sense into his kids--you bet.
Your assessment of Katie Lou and Collier is in line with mine. They are learning every day, and every game they seem to have better chemistry--now, the Collier/KLS Chemistry is because they are Roomies, and it shows, the rest of the team --Gabby, Kia, Saniya are all feeling smoother and knowing where others shall be on pick and rolls or in lots of movement. If Crystal comes back, unharmed by her apparent concussion, that shall be a huge plus. losses ARE always POSSIBLE.

Reaction Score
Geno is one of he best (along with Saban for Alabama football, Popovich for the Spurs) in motivating his players to become better. I think Geno saw that his players weren't playing to their capabilities because hey felt like Chattanooga was an easy game and wasn't focused enough. If/when they get beat, reality sets in and it push the team to refocus. Just my two pennies;)

Reaction Score
I agree with BroadwayVA that Geno hates to lose, but when he put together this brutal pre-conference schedule for his inexperienced, undersized, undermanned team, somewhere, deep down inside, he probably expected a loss or two.

As for his comments, I think Geno is trying to work two different outcomes. He is trying to get this team to continually prove him wrong by winning games they have no right to win. Secondly, if and when these Huskies finally lose a game or two, he doesn't want this team to feel debilitated with the loss of their aura of invincibility. He wants them to know that "Coach saw this coming" and we just need to work harder to see that it doesn't happen again.

As several of you have pointed out, the last time the Huskies experienced a loss, they made a commitment to themselves to do everything possible to see to it that they never experienced another loss, and so far, that's been exactly what they have accomplished.

I like this!! If they keep showing him he is wrong--it may be FF time--I can take that!! For some teams a loss is accepted--For Uconn a loss is the unthinkable!! In the past Geno has told his teams, after a loss, to remember this feeling!! It's BAD!

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Very hard to beat good teams twice in a season. Very safe bet that UConn will play again one or more of the same teams in the NCAA tourney that is on their regular season schedule assuming the Huskies make it far enough. Would rather get the loss out of the way before March.

Reaction Score
Agreed! ND at ND is always tough--USC--if they can't defend Coates better than LLville--dead and gone. MD is always difficult--if Natalie and/or Kyla can take away their bulk maybe a W.

Reaction Score

IMO, what this team lacks is that nasty streak. As Auriemma described, his most recent teams blew people away with overwhelming talent. If that nasty streak was there then that was great but they didn't necessarily need it. But this team does and I think he'd love to have 1 or 2 kids intense enough to come into a timeout huddle like early last night and bang their fist on a chair and say "Quit screwing around and play"! But this group is a mellow group as evidenced by the giggling on the floor in the 1st qtr. in a close game. They play hard and hustle but I think they need that fire to get to a higher level.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Even though many see Geno's statements of the team and what he views as they needing a loss,as motivation and such,I can understand some of what could have led up to these statements in the first place.
Basketball,unlike all other sports,is a continuous effort(except for timeouts),where as other sports get short breaks in between plays,innings,etc.
To be a very good team in basketball,one must play every minute that they are in the game,with the importance of each minute being important,not only because of the outcome,but also the retrospect of one's efforts when they play.
In basketball,more than many sports,effort,or lack of,can be very contagious.One slacks off just a little,and it can catch fire with other team mates,to the point where,instead of playing within one selves,a panic could set in,leading to bad choices and decisions on the court that one would normally avoid.
Even if you practice hard,what you do in game could be different,in the belief someone will pick you up,or hold the line,even if you slack a bit.

If you have someone on the bench that can come in and light a fire under their team mates,it is a luxury,because many times,there is no such person available.
Our coach sees what we would not normally see,and I think he sees the little things more clearly,then what we see.
There is no such thing as perfection,but there is such a thing as,at your best,in everything you do.I think this is what coach is trying to impress on each girl under his charge.
Coach realizes that the way you live your life is affected by your efforts,more than anything else,and this is,what I believe,is the lesson here,more than just winning and losing.
Just my two cents.Head bang

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Getting back to the psychology here. Geno was unhappy with the performance of his team, and clearly during the 1st half the defense was less than stellar. But I will point out again that they held the Mocs to 12 pts in the second half.......12 pts. They didn't hold IUP to 12 pts in a half, but did hold a completely overmatched Pace team to 9 pts in the 1st half,

In addition, UConn had 21 assists on 33 baskets, without their best passer in the game. Every single player, except Lawler had at least one assist. The interior passing between Gabby, Pheeze, Lou and others was a thing of beauty, dare I say even better than Stewie & Tuck. Other than her 1st misdirected pass of the game, Bent looked OK. Saniya ran the point well and led the team in assists.

It is my sincere hope that this team continues to prove Geno wrong. They may not have the talent of last years team, but they certainly do have the character, and they are developing the toughness.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO, what this team lacks is that nasty streak. As Auriemma described, his most recent teams blew people away with overwhelming talent. If that nasty streak was there then that was great but they didn't necessarily need it. But this team does and I think he'd love to have 1 or 2 kids intense enough to come into a timeout huddle like early last night and bang their fist on a chair and say "Quit screwing around and play"! But this group is a mellow group as evidenced by the giggling on the floor in the 1st qtr. in a close game. They play hard and hustle but I think they need that fire to get to a higher level.
I couldn't disagree more. This team has plenty of fire and they are what they are. It would be extremely faux for any player on this team, on any UCONN team, to bang their fist on a chair.

Reaction Score
If Dangerfield is out for a time, there will be more than three losses. His bench is very thin and he continues to be stubborn, I think, in using Butler and Irwin in blowouts like last night. More minutes can only help them and the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Dangerfield is out for a time, there will be more than three losses. His bench is very thin and he continues to be stubborn, I think, in using Butler and Irwin in blowouts like last night. More minutes can only help them and the team.
After the game, Geno's comments lead me to believe that Danger will be back for the Depaul game, barring any setbacks in her recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom