Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The timing (one day after Wilson's announcement) is a bit interesting. Did she wait a day for the announcement to allow Wilson to enjoy the spotlight?

Or did she truly not know where Wilson was going to go? If Wilson chose NC would Diamond have stayed? You're right the timing is very interesting.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It hasn't happened in the last 15 years and probably never. The media will make it known one way or the other.
The best player to transfer since Brit Hunter?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
The best player to transfer since Brit Hunter?

Bone was. Kelsey Bone was SEC newcomer of year and transferred in 2010. Griner was Nat. Freshman Of Year that season I believe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Huge announcement, but not totally shocking. Diamond surprised everyone by picking UNC and bringing a group with her. Does she want to be closer to home? Play with other friends, including a mega-talent like Durr or Wilson?

The strongest rumor I'm hearing is that she's taking her talents to South Beach. The other likely destination is the New York Liberty. :)

I sure as hell hope it's not ND, Tenn, or (after yesterday) SC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Huge announcement, but not totally shocking. Diamond surprised everyone by picking UNC and bringing a group with her. Does she want to be closer to home? Play with other friends, including a mega-talent like Durr or Wilson?

The strongest rumor I'm hearing is that she's taking her talents to South Beach. The other likely destination is the New York Liberty. :)

Definitely wont be ND.... she'd have to sit out 2 years... and doubt that Hatchell would release her to a conference school.

Reaction Score
Golf isn't a team sport. I think some tennis players have done it too, again, not a team sport. I don't know, hence why I asked. I can see an advantage to be gained by an amateur playing a team sport with professionals. Is it unfair? Maybe.

I think what folks have been trying to convey to you is that professional status is
determined by whether or not you are getting paid - not by who you play with.

Nobody gets paid to play USA basketball.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
"Any coach in America will take Diamond. UCONN hasn't landed a top 10 recruit in the last two classes, which could be felt after Stewart leaves. If Geno doesn't feel good about any of the top 10 players in 2015 taking Diamond is a no-brainer. "

In your world perhaps. There are plenty of folks that have Gabby in the top two pre injury. And Nurse may well turn out to be a top 10 at the least recruit.

For instance:
"McCormick on the Huskies: “Gabby Williams is one of the best players I’ve ever seen"

Two knee injuries before reaching college is a lot to recover from. I hope she can be, but that certainly puts a question mark next to her name. But as it currently stands, UCONN does not have a top 10 commit from 2013, 2014 or 2015. That is not to say that one or more of the players may not perform at a much higher level than their ranking, like Davis did for Baylor this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
over 8,000 views in 4 hours... :eek:

Is that a Boneyard record ??? Gotta be a record for a WCBB forum

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I see Texas as top 10 next year, with 2 great frosh. They definitely could be a contender, particularly with DD.

Texas also has two top recruits for 2015. I watched Jordan Hosey at the Texas State Tourney and it is hard for me to believe that anyone in that class is better than she is. She is 6-2, ULTRA athletic, can shoot from DEEP 3 range, handle the ball, get to the rim, shoot the mid-range and hit the boards.

I thought she was the best player in the tourney, and that included Atkins and Turner.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score

1. [ ]Don't you agree that failing to communicate with her head coach at any point is bad behavior?
    [ ]
me.

You mean the head coach that also said this in her statement about DD's transfer ---

"As most everyone knows, I was out and missed the entire season with leukemia, ".

It's entirely possible that DD spoke w/the interim head coach and that the Herald-Sun contacted Hatchell for comment i/o him. It just looks like there's a bit of jumping to conclusions that may be a bit of a leap.

Last edited by a moderator:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
As I noted above, times they are a-changing
And I'm not prepared to criticize anyone until more information becomes available.
I keep thinking of Professor Higgins' lament; "Why can't a woman, be more like a man?"
They're sure moving in that direction; fast!

Geno's way may go extinct; lots of dunks and one-on-one; excessive self-congratulation; all the accouterments of the NFL and the NBA.

But consider:

I can dream up a conspiracy theory as well as the next guy.
And although I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn, last night, I did finish John Le Carre's new book.
Suppose Diamond became aware of a big investigation; Feds and NCAA together, banging on poor Sylvia's door.

But when she asks; stonewall time. Everything's OK, let the grownups handle it, no problemo, but the rumor mill knows better.

If that was to be the case, might there be less discussion of her alleged manners?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

i'd love for it to be ND or Tennessee.
When we whopped them in the elite 8.
It would really mean something.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Two knee injuries before reaching college is a lot to recover from. I hope she can be, but that certainly puts a question mark next to her name. But as it currently stands, UCONN does not have a top 10 commit from 2013, 2014 or 2015. That is not to say that one or more of the players may not perform at a much higher level than their ranking, like Davis did for Baylor this year.
ASGR has Wiliams 2, Edwards 6, Ekmark 8. I believe that Nurse is as good as any of them.

They also has Uconn as the #1 ranked class.

We are doomed,

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ASGR has Wiliams 2, Edwards 6, Ekmark 8. I believe that Nurse is as good as any of them.

They also has Uconn as the #1 ranked class.

We are doomed,

Nice. What are their cumulative rankings?

The issue that UCONN is going to have is that only one of these players is listed at 6-0. UCONN really needs to land a big. Maybe Higgins can transfer there. ;)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Before we starting thinking about how we would like to have her and where shes going lets first find out why she's leaving. Remember we were told she had UConn at the top of her list and then went to UNC. All those kids verbaled at the same time and it was reported there werent enough schollies for them for it was believed that some left. Tuff situation. Now this. I think we need to get all the facts first. One thing I did here is that she is considering UGA and Tenn.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Clearly she is very talented. I don't know why she decided too leave UNC. I will just wait and see what happens.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think we're entering a new era, pro and college in which young superstars:
Announce their choice of schools on National TV
Demand trades or refuse to play
Transfer for good or not so good reasons.

It's all part of a new primacy of a classic buyers market.
Of course, NC can do a K-State and refuse to release.

We've been there for a while now. I don't know if there was a specific turning point, but a classic example was Lebron's "Decision".

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Remember the crazy recruiting saga of Gillian Goring, a 6-7 center from Waterloo, Iowa? She was coming here for the longest time and then things changed . Goring declared for Connecticut but was unable to get past the NCAA Clearinghouse for academic standards. She was going to a prep school to get ready and Geno stopped recruiting her. She was a #1 Post Player and he stopped. He could have waited for her to get the grades up but he did not. I remember on one of his shows he was questioned about it and he flatly stated she would not be coming. Things CAN and do change during the process and after the process. We recruited Ariel Massengale pretty hard too but when the time came to offer her we didn't do it. And she wanted to come here. Just because we recruit a kid doesn't mean that interest continues indefinitely.

That's true. I'm just not sure that Diamond's year at UNC proves that Geno wouldn't want her. I think it bothers some posters sensibilities more than anything.

Can you imagine Taurasi playing at another school and then wanting to transfer to UCONN. A bunch of fans on this board would probably have hated her where ever she played previously. Yet she was one of Geno's favorite (if not the favorite) players ever.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Haven't read the whole thread but my wife and I have been discussing it and she thinks she is headed to South Carolina. The hang up could be if Sylvia doesn't release her. If she does she may make it contingent on her not joining say an SEC school. I can't imagine Geno would take her even if she was considering UCONN. Why take a player who turned you down in the past and changed your recruiting focus? We have many guards coming in, granted not as good as she is but still,no! If she goes to SC, Dawn Staley is in for some chilly relationships with fellow coaches.

Well, there's precedent for it in Brittany Hunter.

Last edited:

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
That's true. I'm just not sure that Diamond's year at UNC proves that Geno wouldn't want her. I think it bothers some posters sensibilities more than anything.

Can you imagine Taurasi playing at another school and then wanting to transfer to UCONN. A bunch of fans on this board would probably have hated her where ever she played previously. Yet she was one of Geno's favorite (if not the favorite) players ever.

I thought the same thing. I knew while Dee was playing at UConn that she was the type of player that I loved since she was a Husky but would detest if she played anywhere else.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bone was. Kelsey Bone was SEC newcomer of year and transferred in 2010. Griner was Nat. Freshman Of Year that season I believe.
Thanks. Brit was better in HS, but Bone had more success in college because of good health.

Reaction Score
Rampant speculation pulled out of thin air.
She is how old? 18? 19? Few that age have a strong sense of direction and maturity.

How do we know she has a "me first" attitude? Because people assume she is that way based on the little they have seen of her? Diana Taurasi was often times called "the ball hog chick" by opposing fans with the implication that she was all about herself. Yet we all know that Diana got all of her teammates involved, made them better and loved to make the assist. What we see as outsiders looking in doesn't really reveal much about the true character of a person.

Personally, I am not willing to pass judgement on her character based on this or what other people mention about her. Even if it were true, maybe, just maybe, she has learned a bit, gained a greater sense of direction and maturity and is now correcting what she may consider a mistake

Life and let live, I say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member