Dez, News And Notes From Spring Practice No.3 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dez, News And Notes From Spring Practice No.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thats fine, I just dont want the staff to call the rb's number again right after he breaks off a 65 yarder.

Why??? A 65 yard run should end with 6 points, and that leaves plenty of time to rest. What are you going to do with the lineman that need to huff it down the field and get in and out a huddle? Pull them too?

And if it doesn't end with 6 points? My old coach would line us up and not give us any water during the break. Can't do stuff like that to kids anymore. Lots of stupid stuff done in the past...but anyway....

I want a bunch of players that want to bounce back up, and line up and punch it over the goal line rather than waving to the sideline for a rest, and if the coach pulls them, they better be running off the field full speed, showing the coach that they don't need to come off.

It's real easy to see when a player doesn't have legs anymore on offense, and reps on offense and plays need to be very specifically game planned and scripted and planned well in advance. A player's rest time gets figured out other ways on offense.

It's on defense where you get the benefit of fresh legs rotating in and out, not on offense.

Reaction Score
The marines don't own pain is weakness leaving your body. They just stole that expression and used it in an ad.

Reaction Score
Why??? A 65 yard run should end with 6 points, and that leaves plenty of time to rest. What are you going to do with the lineman that need to huff it down the field and get in and out a huddle? Pull them too?

And if it doesn't end with 6 points? My old coach would line us up and not give us any water during the break. Can't do stuff like that to kids anymore. Lots of stupid stuff done in the past...but anyway....

I want a bunch of players that want to bounce back up, and line up and punch it over the goal line rather than waving to the sideline for a rest, and if the coach pulls them, they better be running off the field full speed, showing the coach that they don't need to come off.

It's real easy to see when a player doesn't have legs anymore on offense, and reps on offense and plays need to be very specifically game planned and scripted and planned well in advance. A player's rest time gets figured out other ways on offense.

It's on defense where you get the benefit of fresh legs rotating in and out, not on offense.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the play where McCombs broke off a 65 yarder that was more like 130 yds as he zig zagged his way from one side of the field to the other. It was clear as day he was gassed on the play, but we went to him anyways on the next play and he proceeded to fall down immediately after taking the handoff. Should have had another RB in there or ran some sort of play action. Anything but given McCombs the ball again. I don't care how many paragraphs you write, the poster is right. McCombs was gassed, and should not have gotten the rock.

Reaction Score
RIght. You answered you're own issue. Should have had another RB in there. Didn't have one. Give the coaching staff a little bit of credit. They've been around a LONG time.

So you have an issue with the play call? Play action pass.......after a 65 yard run..........that's really going to fool a defense and get them to bite on the play fake, our passing attack was so devastating last year.

I'll take a player that wants the pig in his hands and falls down because they can't run anymore any day, and I'd keep giving it to him, if it's the only thing that's working. I want 100 players like that. I love that kid.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I know it's early but it sure looks we've got a lot more depth at RB than we did last year. Relax people. We'll have our horse, and we'll have folks to spell him. This shouldn't be any concern. Quite frankly RB is the least of our worries.

Reaction Score
RIght. You answered you're own issue. Should have had another RB in there. Didn't have one. Give the coaching staff a little bit of credit. They've been around a LONG time.

So you have an issue with the play call? Play action pass.......after a 65 yard run..........that's really going to fool a defense and get them to bite on the play fake, our passing attack was so devastating last year.

I'll take a player that wants the pig in his hands and falls down because they can't run anymore any day, and I'd keep giving it to him, if it's the only thing that's working. I want 100 players like that. I love that kid.

Its a valid critique of the coaching. What was the harm in brining JJL for one carry or running any other play that didn't involve McCombs right there? It was a wasted down.

I too hope that P doesn't lock in to one RB and doesn't give other guys a chance at the position. One thing that bugged me about the last coach at times, was that he kept Brockington in mothballs when he went with Caulley and did the same with Dixon when Donald Brown was having an all america season. You can't tell me that Brock or Dixon could not have helped the team in some capacity given their talent, regardless of how great Brown and Caulley were. And make no mistake, they were GREAT players at UConn. Conversely, I loved the offense when he had Todman and Dixon lighting it up. I would like to see a change up at RB once in a while with a fresh set of legs thats all. I would love to see that any position but QB to be honest.

Reaction Score

Why? 40, 50, 60 yarder, Because the next play NEVER works Carl, You have NEVER seen it work CARL.

Reaction Score
Thinking that Coach P is going to lock into one single player at the halfback position this year - based on the "jaguar" comments - is failure to understand the "jaguar" comments.

THat analogy, was about players spending time in the training rooms, when they don't need to be. It was about establishing an expected level of mental and physical toughness to compete in this sport.

A valid critique of the coaching? Are you serious? this isn't basketball. You don't pull players on a whim b/c you think they're tired.

Have you ever seen or been around and offensive coaching staff calling a game? They aren't concerned about what's happeningg at any moment, they're constantly thinking about and making decisions about what's supposed to be happening 2-3 plays ahead. THey're not concerned about substituting players based on conditioning. They're calling offensive packages for the personnel to get on or off the field. Offensive coaches can not possibly take the time to be thinking about the conditioning of their personnel during the course of a game.

If you want to criticize Paul Pasqualoni for not calling a time out so that a RB can get a breather after a long run, and/or interrupting an entire offensive game flow in play calling because he thinks the RB should be resting a bit after exerting himself? Because the head coach is the only guy that's going to be calling a time out, or change the offensive play calls in between whistles...plays are decided on in advance in live game play........

Fine....it's a criticism that makes no sense.

Fatigue makes cowards of us all. having a bunch of jaguars on the field, or on the sidelines, or in the booth upstairs would make me crazy too.

THere's a lot to critique Pasqualoni on in his first year, but this littel minutiae is not one of them.

THe entire Louisville game for one thing. Pasqualoni needs to serioulsy re-evaluate how he's goign to handle preparation for games like that again. Very, very winnable game. VEry, very important home - conference game. Coming in from a few years in the pros, probably had him a little less focused on what it would take that day, coming off a bye week, all the time put in getting the kids back up on school work,, etc....

Reaction Score
Why? 40, 50, 60 yarder, Because the next play NEVER works Carl, You have NEVER seen it work CARL.

:) That's why you need to have that play end in 6 pts duncan........and that's why my old coach never gave us water after a big play that came up short......

Reaction Score
I, like Carl, also want a RB who wants to stay in the game after he breaks a long run.

I also want a coach who has enough common sense to take him out for a play or two.

Reaction Score
Judging by the fact he virtually never used JJL or Foxx to spell McCombs the criticism is valid. It makes sense based on previous coaching decisions.

Whether P will begin to use his backfield depth going forward is unknown. But his "jaguar" comment is consistent with the way he used his personnel last year.

Reaction Score
Once again.

In football, you do not substitute players to "spell" someone on offense. If you've got players that are getting winded and fatigue is a problem on offense. THere's one of two reasons. The game plan sucked. Your offensive depth is unreliable/non-existent. The offensive game plans were not the problem last year. We have a problem with depth, such that the coach's weren't comfortable working it into the game plan.

Coach Brown talked about how he had anxiety last year every time one of the linebackers was slow to get up. You think it was any different for Coach Deleone with McCombs?

It won't be the case, for either coach this year.

Offensve is the pro-active phase of the game.

I think we have a few message board Jaguars around here.

Defense is a different story. Rotating fresh legs on defense, especially on the front line, is key to success, becuase defense is the re-active phase of the game.

Reaction Score
I, like Carl, also want a RB who wants to stay in the game after he breaks a long run.

I also want a coach who has enough common sense to take him out for a play or two.

Am I the only one who remembers what it was like having Donald Brown. He would reluctantly come off the field after a big run, and he's be walking back on it before the one play he was out for would be concluded and before the coaches even made eye contact with him. I want my Tb to want to play every play.

But, Carl's nonsense notwithstanding, there is a reason why there are breaks between heats in a track meet. When you sprint 60 yards, you will not be nearly as fast trying to do it again immediately.

Reaction Score
Once again.

In football, you do not substitute players to "spell" someone on offense. If you've got players that are getting winded and fatigue is a problem on offense. THere's one of two reasons. The game plan sucked. Your offensive depth is unreliable/non-existent. The offensive game plans were not the problem last year. We have a problem with depth, such that the coach's weren't comfortable working it into the game plan.

Coach Brown talked about how he had anxiety last year every time one of the linebackers was slow to get up. You think it was any different for Coach Deleone with McCombs?

Defense is a different story. Rotating fresh legs on defense, especially on the front line, is key to success, becuase defense is the re-active phase of the game.

With all due respect, not being able to substitute in a RB with fresh legs on the fly is about equivalent to mismanaging TO's on the incompetence scale.

I've seen coaches take out RB's for a breather before. You see guys tapping their helmets all the time. But hey, if Carl Spackler says it never happens, I guess it never happens.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers what it was like having Donald Brown. He would reluctantly come off the field after a big run, and he's be walking back on it before the one play he was out for would be concluded and before the coaches even made eye contact with him. I want my Tb to want to play every play.

But, Carl's nonsense notwithstanding, there is a reason why there are breaks between heats in a track meet. When you sprint 60 yards, you will not be nearly as fast trying to do it again immediately.

No kidding. Question BL.....how many 60 yard runs does it take to reach the endzone?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i took the comments and was ok with them. my thoughts were this.
-send a message to lyle that he is our #1 guy but that he needs to work hard to stay that guy, dont relax based off last years sucess.
-sending a message to dj and others that to see the field we need them to be healthy and want it. a bit of a challenge to them type comment i thought. see who steps up type thing...
-last year PP def was a 1rb guy so i think hes saying i can live in this system with 1 guy becuase i have lyle but i would like to have others if they are worthy(the challenge part).
-also my opinion is that its whitmers job to lose and were going to throw more this year so there will be less carries to go around, hence i can live with 1 stud rb most of the year type thoughts.
-we seems to be going after rb's that are more big all purpose guys or smaller shifty guys who also are more all purpose. i think this is a bit of a sign as where the O is going eventually.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, not being able to substitute in a RB with fresh legs on the fly is about equivalent to mismanaging TO's on the incompetence scale.

I've seen coaches take out RB's for a breather before. You see guys tapping their helmets all the time. But hey, if Carl Spackler says it never happens, I guess it never happens.

I think the fact that you didn't see it last year at all says a lot about the way the coaches felt about their depth at RB last year, than anything else that's being discussed here.

Reaction Score
i took the comments and was ok with them. my thoughts were this.
-send a message to lyle that he is our #1 guy but that he needs to work hard to stay that guy, dont relax based off last years sucess.
-sending a message to dj and others that to see the field we need them to be healthy and want it. a bit of a challenge to them type comment i thought. see who steps up type thing...
-last year PP def was a 1rb guy so i think hes saying i can live in this system with 1 guy becuase i have lyle but i would like to have others if they are worthy(the challenge part).
-also my opinion is that its whitmers job to lose and were going to throw more this year so there will be less carries to go around, hence i can live with 1 stud rb most of the year type thoughts.
-we seems to be going after rb's that are more big all purpose guys or smaller shifty guys who also are more all purpose. i think this is a bit of a sign as where the O is going eventually.

I agree. What I"m tryign to point out is that offensive game plans need to be set well in advance, and they're a lot different than defensive game plans. If a player wants to be involved in teh offense in upcoming games, they're going to have to be reliable to...you know.....actually be on the field.

(and that means physically, as well as mentally - actually knowing what to do, and be able to do it)

To think that any coach would willingly prefer to a run a halfback into the ground to the point of complete fatigue, rather than provide some kind of diversity in personnel in a game plan.....is what others are trying to say, and that's not the case, and it wasn't the case in teh game plans last year offensively.

Good lord, they did everythign they possibly could in the game plans last year to get McCombs rest during games.

Reaction Score
Once again.

Have you ever actually watched a football game? RBs commonly signal they are out of gas. And the coach then usually takes them out of the game. In other words he "spells" them.

Reaction Score
Frustrating. Yup - and any player doing that is a Jaguar, and makes a coach insane.

No - Running backs don't commonly signal that they are out of gas.

Have you ever actually played a football game? You have the slightest idea what a football team will do with a key player in the huddle that waves to the sideline to come off the field in the middle of a game.....because they're TIRED?

You see players waive to come off the field, because they probably just broke something, and can't move something, not becuase they're tired. '

Jaguars.

My work here in this discussion is done.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm going to jump ahead two steps. I would argue we should not argue about arguing for the sake of arguing.
my god, what are you implying? i would like to argue this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom