Dez, News And Notes From Spring Practice No.3 | The Boneyard

Dez, News And Notes From Spring Practice No.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is very early , but it sure does seem that UCONN should have a good quarterback this year.
http://courantblogs.com/uconn-football/news-and-notes-from-spring-practice-no-3/
I have to say I'm a little bothered by coach P's attitude about running backs. As much as I'd like a Donald Brown to play every down, you have to manage the people you have. If it means getting fresh legs in every few downs, then so be it. You don't help anything by letting kids play at less than they are capable of.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I'm not buying into any QB prospects until I see the performance on the field against a real defense. All I can remember from last year was hearing about how accurate Johnny Mac looked and what a pretty ball he could throw.

Reaction Score
I'm not buying into any QB prospects until I see the performance on the field against a real defense. All I can remember from last year was hearing about how accurate Johnny Mac looked and what a pretty ball he could throw.

It was also the first time McEntee had seen the field since his HS years. Whitmer is much more prepared, was in a Pro style offense at his Juco and was looking for pro style offense when he decided to transfer. I still think, even though many continue to say I'll believe it when I see it, he is the favorite to win the job. As good as Cochran may look, he should RS to create some separation in eligibility. Wish some people would have more faith in the kids that PP brings in. Just like a a court case, a person is innocent until proven guilty. In this case, believe someone can get the job done, until proven wrong. Just the approach I take, I know many others may not but oh well. I prefer o view the glass half full rather than half empty. Just how I see things.

Reaction Score
I have to say I'm a little bothered by coach P's attitude about running backs. As much as I'd like a Donald Brown to play every down, you have to manage the people you have. If it means getting fresh legs in every few downs, then so be it. You don't help anything by letting kids play at less than they are capable of.

im pretty sure he's just saying that he wants a guy who is "well conditioned". someone who CAN go the whole game....Not necessarily someone who WILL.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Well I guess it's safe to say that going forward, UConn shouldn't expect much support from the Connecticut Jaguar Dealers Association.

Bummer...

Reaction Score

100 % agree. They aren't even going live in practice at this point. When they put the pads on and go 100% live, then I will start listening to reports.

Reaction Score
100 % agree. They aren't even going live in practice at this point. When they put the pads on and go 100% live, then I will start listening to reports.

Sounds like some what live, there is contact, there are plays being run and plays being made. Sure it isn't knocking a dude flat out on his back after making a catch, but there is a defense, they are lining up and trying to make a play just as the offense is. Spring ball is definitely a time to make an impression heading into summer and fall. You know the kids want to stand out and differentiate themselves. Of course we can't speak on or believe anything we are reading at this point, but at least the new additions to the race have a more accolades coming in than last years starter. The returning guys at the QB position are also a year older, have had a full off-season to learn the system, mature and develop their skill sets. Doesn't take much to realistically think the QB position will at the very least be improved even minimally.

Also, saw Dez make note a few times of a guy named Hannson (sp?). New depth at TE? Anyone ever heard of the guy?

Reaction Score
BNich, Mark Hansson is a red-shirt sophomore from Florida. He originally was recruited and played his freshman year as an OT. Last year the new Staff moved him over to TE (primarily as a blocking TE)…

Reaction Score
We'll be better passing the ball this season. How much better? Who knows. But there is more experience at QB and more competition than last season. Frankly, outside of Kashif, I thought the play by our receiving corp was abysmal and has to improve by default.

Regardless of what P says about an every down back, we need a bigger back to compliment LM. Hopefully someone can fill that role and maybe its Shoemate if he proves he can hang onto the damn ball. If Williams truly has game breaking speed than he'll see the field this season - as no one else in our backfield has that.

I think the bigger questions on offense lie with the line and replacing Ryan and Petrus. It looks like we might see some new faces and by my count we are perilously thin at OT in terms of size and experience.

For what it's worth, I countered last years predominant pre-season prediction that we would be an improved offensive team because HCRE and Zach were gone. It just made no sense to me and the fact that we struggled was of no surprise. This season, I truly feel we will see a better offense especially if we get anything approaching competent play on the OL.

I am actually a bit more sanguin on the defense than most. Reyes was simply a beast last season and drew plenty of attention at the point of attach. The group this year will have to show they can make up for his absense. Brown simply needs to do a better job with his play calling and schemes. The losses at Vandy and to WM were largely on his shoulders last season. To be fair, I thought he got much better later in the season with excellent efforts against the Cuse and Rutgers. The players seem to really rally around him as well and that certainly counts for a lot.

I will simply say that P needs a 7-8 win season and a good bowl showing to stay off the hot seat. I think he is keenly aware of that and that is why we are seeing so many transfers / JCs. He has to put a lot of new pieces together to have a good season, but at least he went out and tried to get the pieces. We are going to find out a ton this season about whether our current football coach is up to the task.

Reaction Score
I think P should be safe from the hotseat after the season, but that is predicated on my assumption that he has learned how to use time outs, manage the game clock within two minutes, and not use three quarterbacks in one game.

Reaction Score
It will be predicated on winning football games. But, I agree, if we lose football games because these coaches don't realize that you get to call a timeout once in a while, he'll have one short tenure here.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone can be confident about any aspect of this team for this season, especially on offense and doubly so about the quarterbacks. Hopeful...eternally yes, but confident?

Reaction Score
Bummer...[/quote]
Well I guess it's safe to say that going forward, UConn shouldn't expect much support from the Connecticut Jaguar Dealers Association.

Bummer...
LOL

Reaction Score
BNich, Mark Hansson is a red-shirt sophomore from Florida. He originally was recruited and played his freshman year as an OT. Last year the new Staff moved him over to TE (primarily as a blocking TE)…

Thanks! No wonder I had never heard of him. Sounds like he is getting into the action in the passing game in practice.

Reaction Score
I don't know how anyone can be confident about any aspect of this team for this season, especially on offense and doubly so about the quarterbacks. Hopeful...eternally yes, but confident?

To be clear, I am confident we'll be better than last season on offense. I have no idea if we'll improve enough to have a good season.

Reaction Score
To be clear, I am confident we'll be better than last season on offense. I have no idea if we'll improve enough to have a good season.

I think a more consistent effort from the defense (and this includes the coaches) will lead to a better season, even if the offense shows a little growth.

I am extremely worried about qb play.

Reaction Score
Sounds like some what live, there is contact, there are plays being run and plays being made. Sure it isn't knocking a dude flat out on his back after making a catch, but there is a defense, they are lining up and trying to make a play just as the offense is. Spring ball is definitely a time to make an impression heading into summer and fall. You know the kids want to stand out and differentiate themselves. Of course we can't speak on or believe anything we are reading at this point, but at least the new additions to the race have a more accolades coming in than last years starter. The returning guys at the QB position are also a year older, have had a full off-season to learn the system, mature and develop their skill sets. Doesn't take much to realistically think the QB position will at the very least be improved even minimally.

Also, saw Dez make note a few times of a guy named Hannson (sp?). New depth at TE? Anyone ever heard of the guy?

QB's know they won't get hit. Pocket presence is huge, knowing you can't get hit, lets a qb concentrate on read.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
My hope is that Whitmer clearly wins the job in the Spring, either JMac or Nebrich are established as the backup with McCummings remaining as the change of pace QB option. As prepared and accurate as Casey may look in practice, I'd much prefer to see him redshirt. If Whitmer can stay healthy and performs well, I'd be fine seeing Nebrich using his redshirt as well.

I'm hopeful that the JC live game exposure gives Whitmer the leg up for live action. Fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
My hope is that Whitmer clearly wins the job in the Spring, either JMac or Nebrich are established as the backup with McCummings remaining as the change of pace QB option. As prepared and accurate as Casey may look in practice, I'd much prefer to see him redshirt. If Whitmer can stay healthy and performs well, I'd be fine seeing Nebrich using his redshirt as well.

I'm hopeful that the JC live game exposure gives Whitmer the leg up for live action. Fingers crossed.

I agree. I know it would be a great story if Casey is good enough to come in and start right away. Especially being a CT kid and also because he is the son of a legendary ( and controversial) CT coach. But my hope is that Whitmer is a good upgrade over last year. JMac is his backup and McCummings is used as our wildcat QB. Have both CC and MN redshirt. This would give us a good situation for the future QB competitions, and let the best man win. With all that said , how cool would it be if CC is just the man and he gives us quality QB play for the next 4 years. Ever since Dan O left, I am just looking for quality ( not great) QB play.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I am interested in the DT position this spring. Can we effectively replace Martin and Reyes? We have Stephen, but what else? Wirth is supposed to be good, but we haven't seen much of him.

Reaction Score

it seems every year since DanO left we've heard a ton of hype about what we have at QB and it never quite adds up to reality.

Reaction Score

i think that situation would be ideal, but my main hope is that there is a clear cut early winner. the longer the decision takes the more convinved i'll be that nothing has really changed or improved from last year.

it sounds like Osiecki is going to be the next coming of Anthony Sherman. the truth is i've always thought Sherman was underutilized here as a receiver. he'll be a good dump off guy

Reaction Score

Aww, come on. Seriousluy?

It's crystal clear that P just challenged these guys (ALL OF THEM) to reach down and inventory their sacks, and it's a signal to the whole team. Little Lyle is one of my all time favorite players already. I haven't seen a guy give up his body like Lyle did last year, in a long time. You're talking 165lbs (last year) out there running with the big boys, and getting pounded and rolled on by guys double his size. The last thing the coach needs to do is tell that guy that he needs to play through pain, or any of the other RB's.....BUT.....here's the thing.....

.....if coach is telling the RB's that they better not be in the training rooms unless they're injured bad, when everybody can see those guys beat up.......that means every single one of these guys from the lineman to the LB's to backs better not be Jaguars either. ......

A great, great coach...used to always say........fatigue makes cowards of us all.

Winning starts right there. Physical toughness comes from mental toughness. Never, let yourself feel tired or hurt.

The marines say.........pain is weakness leaving your body.

I want to see a football team this fall, that plays the game with the intensity, that sends every single one of our opponents home.....saying to themselves....

"those guys hit....HARD".

Reaction Score
Thats fine, I just dont want the staff to call the rb's number again right after he breaks off a 65 yarder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom