Desmond Conner : Pasqualoni walked into a train wreck | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Desmond Conner : Pasqualoni walked into a train wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Human nature causes people to hold grudges. I don't know who exactly Edsall was addressing but when he told a reporter "I'd explain it to you, but you wouldn't understand it anyway, so what's the point", that was pretty telling on what Edsall felt about dudes doing their job.

Now that is not an excuse to defend PP's coaching job, but any shots at RE were earned on his part.

But aren't we talking about paid professionals? How do you trust what Des writes when he keeps slamming RE, who did not treat the media well, but now loves PP due to the access he gets. The train wreck comment says it all.

Reaction Score
JT over LM hands down. But when you have a 1,000+ yd rusher can you say the RB position was left bare? With LM potential why does it seem like he has regressed this year? Obviously the brilliant new schemes for the OL haven't helped along with the starters we lost, but non the less.

Could it also be he is being used too much and is beat up and worn down from last year and this year? JT and Donald Brown were exceptional talents and great physical specimens.

Maybe LM isn't an every down back. But he had a pretty good year last year and should have shown more improvement this year.

We're on the same page here.

Reaction Score
I'm saying a guy who hasn't lit it up in division 2, was unlikely to make much of a difference on a BCS team. The one game Box played he was like 4-16, and didn't look like he belonged. Could he have improved? I suppose, but he certainly didn't look the part when he got his shot (think Dennis Brown when he started as true frosh). Even back when Edsall had Box ahead of Mac, we heard reports from practice that Mac was better. That one was ahead of the other means nothing since one was a walk on and one was a recruited scholarship QB.

He looked good for one drive and then got concussed. I don't think you can judge him from the Louisville game. And, given Edsall's success here (lack of a passing game or not), forgive me for taking the program's word for who rates where on the depth chart instead of snippets we here from people who observe a practice.

Again, I'm not saying Box would have been even average -- just that Edall & Co. thought he would be better able to manage a game than JM.

Reaction Score
Oh will you just join the rest of us and go on the record that P needs to be fired. Come on over already.

Jimmy: I think I'm making clear what I think of his performance to date.

My only point is that I don't see firing him during the season, so why not wait for as much evidence as there will be to make a conclusion and then make it at the appropriate time?

Reaction Score
I'm going to assume that you don't believe there wasn't a significance dropoff in talent from JT to LM.

Bottom line... reality, considering all that has transpired as soon as Edsall bolted, we hired the wrong guy... the response on the DC comment a little overboard... but we pretty much all agree Burton was correct in getting ticked and voicing his public opinion when he did once the Coach P hire went through...

Reaction Score
Now I hope Coach P can save face so that my last comment on this thread turns out to be B.S. We got 2 weeks off to prepare for our final 4 games... We got talent to win these games ... Hopefully the team can shock us all and run the table....

Reaction Score
JT over LM hands down. But when you have a 1,000+ yd rusher can you say the RB position was left bare? With LM potential why does it seem like he has regressed this year? Obviously the brilliant new schemes for the OL haven't helped along with the starters we lost, but non the less.

Could it also be he is being used too much and is beat up and worn down from last year and this year? JT and Donald Brown were exceptional talents and great physical specimens.

Maybe LM isn't an every down back. But he had a pretty good year last year and should have shown more improvement this year.

LM had 1,000 yards with a line that still had a fair number of Edsall guys on it and was still being coached by Foley. Even with that, his YPC was barely adequate.

Besides that, I trust my eyes, and my eyes tell me that there is a massive gap between Brown/Dixon/Todman on the one hand, and McCombs on the other.

P had some challenges that can be pinned on his predecessor. Those challenges are not relevant to the fact that he's failed miserably in addressing them, weakened many of the program's areas of strength, and completely lost the trust of his players.

Reaction Score
Jimmy: I think I'm making clear what I think of his performance to date.

My only point is that I don't see firing him during the season, so why not wait for as much evidence as there will be to make a conclusion and then make it at the appropriate time?

Yeah, you're feelings are clear. But short of us running the table and grasping this offense, what will save his job at this point in time?

Reaction Score
Yeah, you're feelings are clear. But short of us running the table and grasping this offense, what will save his job at this point in time?

The short answer is wins.

I am viewed by some as an Edsall shill (for no other reason than I remain convinced that he vastly overperformed the reasonable expectations for what he should have been expected to accomplish here) so I'm trying not to be the one who hangs his successor. I don't think that is unreasonable.

Reaction Score
Art I think everyone in thread is in agreement. It was a stupid thing to write and he loses credibility when he writes something like that. I do think people underestimate what could have been accomplished as a team last year given the lack of talent that was inherrited by P at the offensive skill positions last year. Somoen else said it, but was spot on. P absolutley flucked himself by assigning so much resposibility to Deleone. Made a hrrible judgement on Deleone and it will ikely cost him his job.

Reaction Score
Sorry typing into a phone. This year's QB means present day Whitmer. For the purpose of distinguishing what was inherited with what our coaches have control over now. Does anyone think Frazier would have made a positive difference this year? Its the deterioration of the offense as a blocking functioning unit on the same page.

Reaction Score
The short answer is wins.

I am viewed by some as an Edsall shill (for no other reason than I remain convinced that he vastly overperformed the reasonable expectations for what he should have been expected to accomplish here) so I'm trying not to be the one who hangs his successor. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I'm just giving you a hard time. But at this point in time, I don't think there's anyone who would castigate you for taking that stance now. Shill or no shill.

Reaction Score
I'm just giving you a hard time. But at this point in time, I don't think there's anyone who would castigate you for taking that stance now. Shill or no shill.

If that's what you think, Jimmy, you're not reading the board carefully enough.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree with Dez that Pasqualoni inherited a program with significant challenges, and completely barren at RB and QB, which should never happen for a BCS conference program. The receiving corps was pretty weak too, and there was no depth at CB which cost us a bowl game last year. I am willing to stipulate all those things are true.

The front 7 on defense was probably the best in the conference last year and is very good again this year. We have more depth at DB this year, and until Syracuse the defense had played well. There is no excuse at all for what has happened to the offense. Veteran players on the o-line are playing worse today than they did two years ago. I am willing to give Pasqualoni a mulligan on the problems at the skill positions, but they are not bad enough that this team should not be competing at a much higher level than where it is today. And he had two offseasons to address any problems he had when he showed up. Whitmer is a tolerable caretaker QB, but he is woefully mis-utilized, and RB should be an easy position to fill.

Ultimately, this isn't a question of talent, it is a question of coaching. While there isn't a lot of NFL talent on this roster, it is not terrible either. 3-9 will be a completely unacceptable outcome given what this team has.

Reaction Score
Can you make one post without political rambling? Save it for the cesspool, please.

Oh please, grow up and read, It's not political. Half his tweets are on Obama, I think that somewhere in Desmond's brain he sees P's plight and Obama's as one in the same.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think this is fair. My take, being a former Apologista, is that some here who supported Edsall downplay the lack of returning talent on offense. We did not have a QB on the roster that was capable of leading that team to even contend for a BE title. That's on Randy.

As an apologista I feel the need to point out it's on Randy but also Endres who chose drugs over the team.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
(for no other reason than I remain convinced that he vastly overperformed the reasonable expectations for what he should have been expected to accomplish here) .

No, you were considered an Edsall shill because for a time there you instaposted support for HCRE at every possible slight real or perceived. Even on the hoop board.

Reaction Score
Results are what matter. Players come and go. Coaches come and go. It's the results that you need to keep the eye on.

the overall results just aren't there.

The defense is a critical point right now, after the syracuse game. I hope they recover, because they are a good unit, and how they perform now, is the kind of things that talent scouts - will look at.

THe offense is in an accelerating nose dive, that startedslowly in 2008, and Deleone has only accelerated to the point we are pointing straight down on offense.

As of right now in 2012, we are averaging just under 24 yards of offense per possession of the ball. That means we need an average starting field position of midfield, to have a realistic chance at being in a high percentage situation of scoring points on any given possession on offense. THis was not the case in teh past, when we were actually capable of runnign the ball for 3.5+ yards per carry. We could get the ball on our side of the field, and have a realistic shot at putting up points.

It's these kinds of results that people need to be judged on, not personality traits. Our offensive coordinator is not getting the job done.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say that the 2011 did not have a lot of left over talent on the offensive side of the ball. We had to replace our QB, RB, FB, WR and our 2 best OLinemen. That is a lot to overcome. At the same time.....a trainwreck?

Calling shenanigans of the whole idea of the 2011 team not having talent. Yes, we were short at QB and didn't have an All-American at RB. Boo freaking hoo.

Most here didn't like the 2010 QB either. And have you forgotten the games against Vandy, WMU, and Iowa State the the coaches pissed away. An 8-4 team does not have a dearth of talent. 2011 was an 8-4 team that PP brought in 5-7.

In 2012, we have a better D and a better QB and WR than 2011. Oline isn't good and RB has been exposed a little, but I'm not convinced that's not the coaches fault too. Friend, Masters, and Bennett have been around and Mateas was in the mix to start at Penn St. They are not untalented. We have at least 7-5 talent this year against a normal schedule. We play no one good this year. A good Uconn team wins this league or at least wins 9-10 games. The schedule is that bad.

To recap: 2011 8 wins becomes 5 wins
2012 7 wins becomes 4 wins

How anyone watching can defend the job the staff has done boggles my mind.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But aren't we talking about paid professionals? How do you trust what Des writes when he keeps slamming RE, who did not treat the media well, but now loves PP due to the access he gets. The train wreck comment says it all.

Also a big Syracuse fan which he doesn't hide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom