Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just a refresher, what are the reasons he would pick UNLV over us? PT? Vegas?

Reaction Score
Obviously i hope we land someone tomorrow, but having said that there is something about the wild overreaction that occurs on this board if something doesn't go our way that i thoroughly enjoy.

Hoping for a (good) choatic day! Good or bad news UConn ball will be fine.

Reaction Score
so its Mack or bust for the wing spot

Why is this bad news for UCONN????

I mean I get why it could be if Mack commits elsewhere and then Jones has already made up his mind for elsewhere and we didn't get a chance to go after him hard again.

But this announcement doesn't suggest that Jones is definitively committing elsewhere.

Maybe he wants to jump on that wing scholly before an indecisive Mack does. Maybe he was told now is the time because Mack might take your spot. Who knows.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
For all his failings as a coach, Rice is one insanely good recruiter.

If they do get Jones, this would be something like their third top 25 recruit in two years.

Reaction Score
The change in timing for the Jones announcement is certainly intriguing. The favorable scenario is that he wanted to beat Mack to the scholly. So he's given a verbal commitment to KO, with the understanding that he's got the 3 slot commit from UConn. The formal announcement would come tomorrow night.

The other scenario, much less favorable for us, is that Jones has made up his mind and sees no point in waiting until spring to declare for UNLV. This way he doesn't have to deal with the constant calls and visits over the next several months from the programs currently recruiting him, nor the ones who find themselves suddenly "needing" him.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
This has got to mean bad news for UConn's chances for Jones...all we have heard on him lately was that he was signing late and now all of a sudden he's announcing tomorrow.

This kind of news out of nowhere seems to spell U-N-L-V...really wanted Jones but now I'm preparing myself for no Clarke, Mack or Jones in this class

Reaction Score
My fingers crossed read is maybe Jones was between UNLV and UConn. He got word that Mack is committing to Uconn so it makes his UNLV choice easy?

But most likely we just struck out on everything and we are doomed forever.

Reaction Score
Obviously i hope we land someone tomorrow, but having said that there is something about the wild overreaction that occurs on this board if something doesn't go our way that i thoroughly enjoy.

Hoping for a (good) choatic day! Good or bad news UConn ball will be fine.
Some here have exaggerated feelings of entitlement. UConn is a great choice for any recruit but not the only good choice.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
My fingers crossed read is maybe Jones was between UNLV and UConn. He got word that Mack is committing to Uconn so it makes his UNLV choice easy?

But most likely we just struck out on everything and we are doomed forever.
I'm going with Doomed Forever! ;)

But seriously if we strike out on Mack, Clarke and Jones then what's the point of living anymore as a UConn fan.......

Reaction Score
It's felt to me like we haven't been as involved with Jones ever since potential academic issues popped up.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
Just seems like poor timing for our chances for an announcement from Jones

He's more recently visited UNLV and been visited by their coaches, they seem to be trending while we may have peaked too early in the never ending trend game of recruiting...we may have very well been scared off by those academic issues

I just want to see me some high flying dunks that may be better than Rudy and Sticks type hops

Reaction Score
If you think about it, Jones could commit anytime to UNLV... regardless of who else has committed there. As such, though it's far from a sure thing and I could be all wrong, but I read this news as favorable for the Huskies. In short, there's a lot more incentive to move your announcement time up if it's because you need to beat out someone else.... than it is to just announce that you're going where you can go anytime.

Reaction Score
If you think about it, Jones could commit anytime to UNLV... regardless of who else has committed there. As such, though it's far from a sure thing and I could be all wrong, but I read this news as favorable for the Huskies. In short, there's a lot more incentive to move your announcement time up if it's because you need to beat out someone else.... than it is to just announce that you're going where you can go anytime.

This is what occurred to me. I'm having trouble figuring out why he'd commit to UNLV earlier than expected.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Do Mack and Jones have ultimatums that 1st commit gets the schollie?

Reaction Score
This seems to point towards UNLV. That said, I wonder if the staff could have used the impending Mack decision to pressure Jones in any way.
I was wondering something similar. KO might have contacted Jones and his camp telling them that If Mack pulls the trigger for UConn today or tomorrow, they might not have an available ship for him come spring. Not saying that's what happened but it could have and that could very well end up being what happens next spring depending on who commits this fall and who returns and doesn't return next season.

A class of Adams, Enoch, Jones and Stone would be mind blowing. And I want my mind blown up! :)

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I see no incentive for Jones to commit to UNLV earlier than he originally wanted to.

I also can appreciate a good trolling, so if he does go with UNLV tomorrow, he's definitely crushing the troll game with the boneyard.

Reaction Score
This is what occurred to me. I'm having trouble figuring out why he'd commit to UNLV earlier than expected.
One other possible reason is that he was invited to be on ESPN...and he didn't want to pass up the opportunity when he's already pretty set on going to UNLV. Hope this isn't the case...and rate it nowhere near as compelling a reason to accelerate your timing, as it is to beat someone else to the punch.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Have we visited Jones recently? I figured we would get back in if we whiffed on Mack, but now it looks like there's a good chance we miss on both. We may need to go all in on a wing for 2016.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Me: @jerrymeyer247 any chance Jones is announcing tomorrow to beat Mack to committing to UConn? Seems like a logical incentive to commit earlier

@jerrymeyer247: Possibly but I'm hearing UNLV

Reaction Score
UConn990411 said:
Thank god the team opens their season on Friday. Then again, if they don't win by at least 25...

Don't hold your breath for a 25 point win on Friday.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm hoping for Jones or Mack, doesn't matter which. But I won't be upset with neither, the position is currently loaded in Storrs and I wouldn't be surprised if we can't bring anyone at that level in at the SG/SF wing position until 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom