Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Derrick Jones (Committed to UNLV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
Everybody figured the entire Kentucky starting five was turning pro - and that Cauley-Stein and the Harrisons would be gone now. If a couple of this year's Kentucky freshmen had known they were walking into a five-man platoon system and looking at 15-20 mpg, there's a good chance that they would have chosen elsewhere.

There is a reason Briscoe says he isn't signing. If the twins don't leave, I guess he will always have a spot waiting at SJ.

Decent class for UK, Skal (maybe ineligible, or overseas), Briscoe (unsigned) and Matthews. I mean it could be another amazing class or it could quickly flutter to nothing.

Reaction Score
Days like this I'm glad I don't follow recruiting that closely.

It sorta pisses me off we involved ourselves with so many players who would choose these programs over us. Yes it's sour grapes but you simply can't be that bright a person to choose some of these programs over us. But we'll be fine.

caw

Reaction Score
This continues UConns failure to ever win a recruitment where there is a televised announcement. There seems to be a strong negative correlation between the type of kid to do a televised announcement and the type to play for UConn and win.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Days like this I'm glad I don't follow recruiting that closely.

It sorta pisses me off we involved ourselves with so many players who would choose these programs over us. Yes it's sour grapes but you simply can't be that bright a person to choose some of these programs over us. But we'll be fine.

These players aren't diehard fans who see UCONN as God's gift to basketball. 17-18 year old kids aren't compiling statistical analyses of which programs have the most postseason success, nor are they making lists of how many players from each program are in the NBA. Recruiting is by no means scientific - it's about personal fit, and if a kid feels more at home and comfortable on another campus, who @hck are we to tell him that he can't feel that way?

Reaction Score
These players aren't diehard fans who see UCONN as God's gift to basketball. 17-18 year old kids aren't compiling statistical analyses of which programs have the most postseason success, nor are they making lists of how many players from each program are in the NBA. Recruiting is by no means scientific - it's about personal fit, and if a kid feels more at home and comfortable on another campus, who @hck are we to tell him that he can't feel that way?
It doesn't take compiling statistical analysis for an 18 year old to know UConn is a way better program than VCU and UNLV.

Reaction Score
Anyone who has 2 Eyes and actually watches basketball can see that UCONN is totally superior in every conceivable way then VCU and UNLV. The academics at these schools is a joke. They are 2nd rate programs who really don;t matter or count as true players on the national scene.

The parents of these kids are also not too bright as they should be abel to see the kind of person HCKO is and what he brings to the table.

Fool parents leads to fool kid!

Reaction Score

Oh save it. You don't have to be a diehard UConn fan to know UConn is an ideal fit compared to a VCU or UNLV for anyone who A. Wants to win a National Title or B. Go to the NBA.

And if you can't personally fit in with Kevin Ollie and the atmosphere he has created, sorry than there is something wrong with that kid.

Again I don't get too caught up in the stuff. I find a good chunk of today's players to be unimpressive, over hyped, and overrated. Including some kids who have chosen UConn in the past. When we signed Napier i never remember anyone saying "WOW this kid is a program changer and will win multiple titles." That's why I don't get caught up in it. It's a total crap shoot. We will sign our share and be successful. Now perhaps the staff does need a closer when it comes to recruiting. But it also seems maybe we are involved with too many players and when they go elsewhere it makes us feel with lose out more often than not.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Anyone who has 2 Eyes and actually watches basketball can see that UCONN is totally superior in every conceivable way then VCU and UNLV. The academics at these schools is a joke. They are 2nd rate programs who really don;t matter or count as true players on the national scene.

The parents of these kids are also not too bright as they should be abel to see the kind of person HCKO is and what he brings to the table.

Fool parents leads to fool kid!

What a crock. Maybe the kid hates the cold? Maybe he doesn't like rural settings? Maybe the academics are too challenging (these are usually not kids who could get into UConn without the athletic scholarship)? Maybe UConn is a bit too white? Maybe they thought Storrs was boring? There are many, many reasons why a kid chooses a college, even elite basketball players.

The notion that UConn is the right and best choice for most or all high school basketball players is both arrogant and ignorant. I am happy to have the kids that come here and want to be here. It has always been this way at UConn, Calhoun missed on kids like this all the time as well. This is nothing new.

Reaction Score
Hate to resurrect an old thread like this, but was just looking at this kid again and am a little confused. So he was suspended for the last few games of UNLV's season due to academic fraud relating back to an ACT he took before entering college the past June. Apparently suspected of cheating on it and the NCAA investigated and looked into it. He declared for the draft, but didn't hire an agent and wasn't drafted. He isn't listed on the UNLV roster for this season either and I can't find anything on him. Anyone know where he's playing?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I don't know much about college basketball outside of UCONN and I'm sure you ask a valid question.

But, I can't stop thinking that you're either really high right now or dangerously f##ing bored.

Reaction Score
from my quick internet stalking he has a kid. don't know much besides that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member