DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great game, back and forth between two teams with no quit.
As someone who wanted to be shown, Fudd had a tremendous game, the shooting speaks for itself but she moved her feet very well on defense. Night and day from the start of the season.
Very balanced scoring, some head scratching turnovers, Morrow for DePaul put on a show, just enjoyed the heck out of that game.

JBK

Reaction Score
I continue to long for the day when Paige, Caroline & Azzi are on the court together for this UConn team. They will be an unstoppable combination.
Agree - exciting and great win
What is going on with Edwards ? I could not imagine a freshman would push her - and all of bigs around like that. — we have to solve that before any tournament.

Reaction Score
WOW. A great game from an entertainment standpoint. Definitely a TEAM victory with great moments by so many of our players. Phenomenal effort by DePaul and Aneesah Morrow (so glad she wasn't seriously hurt). I'm so proud they fought back and found a way to win it despite the late TOs. This kind of victory will give them invaluable experience come tournament time. F-yeah! I love this team!!!

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
Wow…what a game. A hard fought win, with some ugly stretches but they pulled it off. The freshmen came to play and it’s good to have Azzi back.

Caroline - 8/12, 19 points with a game winner…wow. That’s all I can say, the way she never gets too high and never gets too low is impressive. Even when she pulled off the game winner, she kept a straight face I love it! What a great player she’s turning out to be already. I can’t speak highly enough of how she’s stepped up.

Azzi - WOW! It’s good to have her back! She looked like she didn’t even miss a beat. I was surprised she looked a lot calmer than she did the last time we saw her. She had a few nice defensive plays (3 steals), especially the block on Morrow and then of course some great makes with a hand in her face. She’ll really help this team out if she can stay healthy.

Liv - Didn’t have her best outing, granted she was facing one of the toughest posts she will face all season. Morrow is the real deal, I don’t know if there’s another big girl with a motor like her. Liv had some pretty dumb fouls in my opinion. Morrow also likes to flop.

Dorka - I thought she did a nice job rebounding and made some nice passes.

Nika - When the pressures on, it doesn’t really seem like she can handle it and ends up with a travel/turnover. She was good for most of it, but makes me nervous at the end.

CW - Had a really nice game coming back from Covid, she made some great drives. She needs to continue doing what she’s good at, driving.

AE - Non factor once again, when she had the opportunity to make a few layups she couldn’t do it.

Evina - Thought she was also pretty much a non factor, she had a timely 3 but that was really it. She doesn’t look very confident out there.

Overall a good game and really nice to get CW and Azzi back. I think they’ll learn a lot from this game. 58.6% from the field, 40% from 3, not bad.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Excuse me but Morrow fouled at least 5 times and didn't get called. She got the Michael Jordan treatment. She literally shoved people out of the way overtly. Overtly elbowed people in the ribs as if she were Mike Tyson and didn't get called. To a significant degree she's a dirty player. I'm sorry but that's how I saw it. She may not realize it but she was full bore Detroit Pistons circa Dennis Rodman era.
Did you see Christyn crashing to the court and slide a couple feet after being shove? I was yelling at the TV

Reaction Score
Azzi needs to play more. She's exactly what this team needs. Great game by lots of players tonight. I hated how it took so long to set up the offense though. They monkeyed around outside way away from the basket and didn't even try to start the offense for 10-15 seconds at a time. Gotta say most of that was Nika. Nika had a good game overall but she didn't run the offense well. This is the best we can expect from Nika. Azzi and Paige are better and no way I'm taking Caroline out..

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A few thoughts (very)

-When Geno took Dorka out is when DePaul went on their run.
and he kept her out throughout it.

-I thought in that tough 2nd quarter and few other times, Caroline wasn't 100% sure of her role ...should she lead? At the end...Geno told her and she knew.

-Couldn't have won his game without Fudd. She looks pretty comfy and confident.
and, as the world knows, she's a great shooter.

It's becoming a team...still a way to go.

Reaction Score
We will not face a team the remainder of the year that will shoot that well (plus few turnovers)
Our freshman will be the core of this team moving forward, as most of the inconsistent play has come from the upperclassmen.
That was Fudd after missing two months??? Are you kidding me?? Her release is like lightning...

Reaction Score
I have to say, I was disappointed that Geno didn't get on the refs. I almost never question the officiating, but this one was pretty one-sided.
Morrow is a very good player, and she clearly is physical. However, there were several instances where she initiated the contact and she got the call as opposed to being called. I thought the officials really had a tough time tonight - both ways.

Reaction Score
I liked a lot about todays game. Second quarter not so much. Refs were beyond biased. I hate saying that but that was really bad. Something needs to be done about it. UConn was playing against DePaul and the refs all night. Morrow kicked everyone’s butt.

Azzi and CW were awesome! CD came up big!

AE was just like always this year. Awful.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • Whew...............................................
  • This was a really important win for the still shorthanded Huskies on the road against their top BE rival. With just one more OOC game vs a ranked opponent, UConn needs to continue to take care of business in the BE to secure the best seed possible for the Big Dance.
  • Morrow is the real deal. She plays with incredible savvy, poise and toughness for a freshman. I know recruiting rankings should never be considered gospel. But please tell me how in god’s name Morrow was not even listed among Hoopgurlz top 100 players for 2021?
  • Really great to see both Christyn & Azzi back in uniform and on the court tonight as the Huskies get a little healthier and a little deeper. They both came up big tonight. Just one more piece of the puzzle remaining.
  • DePaul leads the nation in scoring at 92 ppg. I was feeling pretty good after the Huskies held the Blue Demons to only 11 pts in the first qtr. Unfortunately, that was followed by a 29 pt 2nd qtr.
  • This was a GUT CHECK GAME for UConn. Caroline!!!!!!!!
Like you said…whew! It was an entertaining game. Azzi showed flashes of her game, including the pull-up jumper. While it was a welcome sight to have Christyn back, along with Azzi, the highlight of the night was Morrow. I echo your comments about her not being listed in the top 100 recruits the previous season. Either the supposed experts don’t know where Chicago is located or there must be 100 freshman better than her. Not! She is the real deal. She pushed Edwards around, who is no slouch, like she wasn’t there.

Give the team a few more games, hopefully with no other personnel issues, and maybe the cohesiveness will improve. For now, it has been an amazing trajectory for Caroline. From her early, tentative stumbles at the beginning of the season, to being tasked to make & take the game winning shot.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Glad to see Azzi & CW back. Glad Nika wasn’t seriously hurt.

Still even with fresh troops they fell apart in the second quarter which has been a team trait this season and yet to be resolved.

The discipline just doesn’t seem to be there. Leadership, stamina, character – pick a term. They have a scary tendency to become completely untangled and get trounced for long periods and without the ability to regroup and stop the bleeding.

Not once, not twice, not three times.

Welcome back Azzi & CW, but as the Music Man said - “We got trouble right here in River City”.
They didn't stop the bleeding tonight?

Reaction Score
Fudd played better than she played in the U19 tournament last year. She looks like she's healthy. We saw the popup jumper she has and some great catch and shoot 3's. It seems the only ones she missed were hurried shots. Geno obviously told her to shoot and she tried to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom