DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My takeaway of the day: most frosh have to get used to the level of college play. I think Paige just loves that she has skilled players around her and plays against skilled players. Rather than have to get used to the higher level of basketball Paige relishes it. oh yeah, nice game. CW did good.
Paige has been playing that higher level game since she was in the 8th grade. She sees the court like few people do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like we may have turned a corner today? I get the feeling that there was consensus about roles, particularly Paige’s role.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like we may have turned a corner today? I get the feeling that there was consensus about rules, particularly Paige’s roll.

To a point. I hope CW finally realizes she can drive to the basket like few others. I still do not like how we match up with SC physically. Not that impressed with Liv's game and I think Boston will look at Liv like a chicken tender, The play where she got a Paige dime on the baseline 2 feet from the basket and still found the need to dribble is just mind numbing.

Paige may need to go for 30+ and dial up Steph Curry range.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For CW yes. For Liv, well, not as much. She still can't power through arms for the layup. She's still getting pushed well off the block. So much so that Geno had her on the elbow or on the perimeter from some of her minutes. The last two games she has not attempted an outside shot. She still has problems with her dribble on strong drives from the foul line. She is still frequently out of position on rebounds, and she doesn't really read the ball off the rim very well. She still brings the ball down after entry passes. She doesn't have the best power dribble. She still gives silly fouls after being out of position. When was the last time we've seen Liv shoot that fadaway? Liv does have many strong points. Liv does run the floor well. She has soft hands in the lane and in transition. She still alters shots in the lane. Her left leg drop is quicker this year than at any point. She does now occasionally drop that left leg. She does make nice passes from inside and at the elbow. She does occasionally make the 12 footer. Less occasionally, the 3. But it seems to me Liv has only done what is required in the weight room, and what she really needs is to be a weight room warrior. Unless her shot improves dramatically as well as her power dribble, and she takes the weight room more seriously she's going to have problems at the next level.
I agree with all of this @JordyG. Geno put her out there to stop the painful inside experience and see if she could be better outside and, alas, the results were very disappointing.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Yeah. For a while, I thought she may have concussion symptoms.
The knee in the back of the head by the DePaul player didn't help either. That looked worse then the elbow to the jaw.

Reaction Score
A few here as everything else will be covered.... Watched a lot of ball for a lot of years but I can't recall an opening basket that quick. A thing of beauty the flip from Paige another in her passing highlight reel.

Somehow someway somehow someday Geno has to get Olivia to stop putting the ball on the floor when she does not have to. She has to watch more film or something to see that she is setting the double team / trap for herself. Her scoring will go up when she learns just to go up.

Would have liked to seed AE getting a few more minutes it is fun to watch her run the floor, fast for her size, good footwork and arms always up on D.

CW has to do what she did today more, some very nifty moves going to he hoop and a good re-bounder for her size.

Had to laugh at Olivia's 3rd foul the official standing next to the play saw no foul, the late whistle came from the back court. Over all decent game and I always try to give the other teams D credit but the offense is still a work in progress as it looks disjointed at times.

Reaction Score
Saylor hasn't played any meaningful games in a year. She has to get used to the speed of the game again and I think she was rushing her shot to beat what I'm sure everyone is telling her are the faster closeouts she will see in the college game. She'll be fine once she get used to the speed of the game.

She doesn't look fast running but if you look at the amount of ground she covers with each stride she covers ground. Glides more than pounds.

Remember, it's her first game and she just started practicing with the team less than a week ago.

Reaction Score
Anyone else feel like we may have turned a corner today? I get the feeling that there was consensus about rules, particularly Paige’s roll.
I do. I don't think it was a consensus though I think it was a mandate from Geno and staff about what the roles are going to be from hereon in. Honestly, with Evina , Paige and CW taking 60% of both FGAs and 3 point shots today you are simply playing to your strengths with the caveat that Paige and Evina take the most 3s and CW looks to drive and pull up first. The clue was that Evina came out firing which she hadn't done all year. It was the team doing what they were told to do. It looked pretty darn good to me.

Reaction Score
Glad the l
I hope so. Glad the Arkansas loss exposed some things that needed to be fixed for the games coming up(South Carolina) and whatever happens in March.

Reaction Score
Not much to or say besides, "great overall effort against a ranked team"

My stat of the game -- AE 15 minutes, (only) 2 fouls
She was promptly benched by Geno when whistled for her 1st foul when she was again unnecessarily too physical on the offensive end. Seemed to work sending AE the message, only one other foul.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Turned a corner? Maybe, but hold that thought until after the SC game. I will agree us BY'ers have turned a corner :)

Reaction Score
When Paige started getting a rhythm in the 2Q & knocking down 3's, the game absolutely shifted. It loosened the game up offensively for the rest of the team. As Paige goes, the team goes!

AE also changed the game on the defensive front in the 2Q. Her presence & aggressiveness alone puts hesitation into the opposition.

Reaction Score
Great performance in Q2-Q3.

But still all about the middle. Liv's size and Paige's shooting was what helped open things up, which is what allowed CW to drive.
Can team still do that against a team that's taller/quick than DePaul? That's the key.

And note what Geno has been saying all along: "once Paige scores more, it will open up opportunities for a lot of other people."

I don't think Liv can do the OREBounding vs top 15 teams near the way she did here.

As for CWill - I think with her it depends on the team if she could drive . She showed she could do it vs Tenn.

As you say-- let Paige shoot - and as she shoots - it has chances to open up then even CWill might be able to penetrate due to the attention to be paid on Paige.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ditto everything above, but why no Autumn. Is she hurt, in the doghouse? If not, come on' Geno, you're up over 30 points with 5 min to play, put the kid in!

Why Autumn? Being up 30- no reason to not give minutes to Mir and Piath and others. Mir and Piath and Saylor can play when we're up 30. Every minute for Nika is good as well as Griff etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom