DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The game continued on 1251 on Spectrum. There was a flag at the bottom of the screen.
Damn. I know there was a scroll at the bottom of the screen, but shame on me for not paying attention. I searched all the way up to 500+ channels on Spectrum, but evidently did not go far enough.

Reaction Score
So what is the difference between losing to ranked Arkansas and beating ranked DePaul? It isn’t the difference. It is what they share. Both UConn and DePaul play in Big East where both can pad their resumes. The difference is that DePaul is far better than all the other mediocre teams in Big East and UConn is far better than DePaul. Duh, you say. Credit DePaul for scheduling big girls, credit UConn for at least trying to schedule big girls. Credit the other conferences with fielding multiple, competitive quality teams.

Reaction Score
1) One statement to sum up Paige "All-American"
2) Christyn Williams had a bounce back game. Shot looked good and she looked comfortable
3) a 5 for 6 from the Field and 8 Boards game for Aubrey Griffin was pretty effective (despite taking a AE shot to the head)
4) efficient game from Evina Westbrook. 12 Points and 14 Boards, nothing to sneeze about !
5) ONO's game was good but one would expect more from Olivia
6) AE's game off the bench was good, but that Shot that she gave to Aubrey in the 2nd Quarter could have been devastating. (more "Bull in the China Shop")
7) Geno probably told Saylor to simply LAUNCH 'EM UP !!
8) Disappointing that Autumn didn't get a taste in the last 1:30 (no need for Paige to go back in, unless Autumn is in Geno's Chateau De Bow Wow)

Reaction Score
Don't know why, but DePaul games are always relaxing. I really never expect the Blue Devils to come out on top, but they're usually fun. This was no exception.
You could extrapolate the highlights (ie, whatever Paige was doing), OR you could do a Keystone Kops piece in which players do some of the silliest things evah. How about tossing the ball to the ref? How about faking a shot under the basket with no one around? Tripping, slipping, etc. Fun.
CW plays best by letting the game come to her. When she tries to initiate, it doesn't always work. If she just keeps moving, one of our passers will find her. I thought she was fine today.
Aaliyah needs to stay under control. She's often just diving into the scrum; it's awkward and generally unproductive. We'll reserve judgment on Saylor, but I worry about her hesitancy to shoot.
Some good chemistry at moments that stirs hope. And a lot of fun. Bring on 'dem Gamecocks!

Reaction Score
My takeaway of the day: most frosh have to get used to the level of college play. I think Paige just loves that she has skilled players around her and plays against skilled players. Rather than have to get used to the higher level of basketball Paige relishes it. oh yeah, nice game. CW did good.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
FOX didn't cut away. Your local affiliate did.
Yes I understand, and if I was paying attention to the scroll, I would have known to go to Channel 1251 to pick up the game.

Reaction Score
Nice bounce back game. Just build on these types of games, win or lose, and come back strong for the next one. Several positive takeaways from this game. A few key ones were, I think Paige is finding when and how to assert herself more and more each game. Nika is going to be a nice bonus. She is not afraid!! I just lover her intensity!! Edwards. Again, the process is getting better and better. Her size and strength, plus fearlessness....OMG!! Overall, great bounce back game. Love it.

Reaction Score
Pleasantly surprised after the 1st quarter where I was pulling my hair out due to the defensive intensity. And then I saw the team take it up a notch and that was all the difference. Kudos to the team to bounce back with an excellent offensive and defensive game.

• CWill - Excellent game from her. This is what we need from her, aggressive driving, rebounding, and passing to open teammates. She doesn't need to shoot 10 threes to score 30 because if she does what she did tonight we have a chance of putting pressure on the defense and being more efficient on offense. So proud of her effort today.
  • Liv - bounced back nicely. Good movement without the ball, effort on the boards and made some nice passes at the top of the key. We know she is not be that back to the basket pounder, so like CWill I will liked how she played to her strengths, defense, rebounding, and passing.
  • Paige - I will say this right now. She to me is the best in college basketball. She was hyped and she continues to surpass my expectations on how she impacts the game in ALL aspects.
  • Evina - I think played solid. continues to just be that rock for our team. great rebounding and continues to hit a decent 3 percentage, which is huge because we will need someone other than Paige to be a knock down 3 point shooter. Love her game.
  • Aubrey - She had a solid game. Would like to see a bit more midrange game, but her energy and ability to affect shots was a nice rebound compared to Ark game. Hoping these starts and minutes will get Aubrey better on the offensive end, because we will need her to hit a few open shots against the top teams.
  • Nika - had some nice passes and is playing better defense since the early season games. There are a few out of control drives some times, but at least she is taking shots and hitting some now, which will keep her on the floor. One embarrassing pass to the ref, but we can all laugh since it didn't affect the outcome of the game :)
  • Aliyah - I think she had a nice bounce back game. Much more active and could see her comfort level today both offensively and defensively. Hope she can continue to work on the offensive fouls, but much better than the other night. I believe once she has a better feel of the game in the UCONN system, she is going to be pivotal with the pick and roll and cutting for layups.
  • Mir - Liked her energy as usual and had a nice drive and played good defense.
  • Piath - Her minutes were good. Good defensive possessions and seems to show lots of potential because of her athleticism at her size. Once she gets stronger and has confidence in her game she could be a nice contributor for us next year.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A much better performance. Saw the attitude needed to beat teams. A lot of pluses.
Team shot 57.7% from the floor. 25 assists on 41 baskets. 40% shooting from behind the arc.
Paige with a double double. Evina with a double double. 6 players in double figures.
Nika continues to play well. Very important down the stretch.
Liv played within herself - a big big plus!!
Take away CW's 2 for 4 from behind the arc and she shot 10 for 11 from the field.

Now I know DePaul was ahead after the first quarter, but remember back when is was two 20 minute halves. It almost always took UConn about 8 to 10 minutes to figure out a team then assert themselves.

This may have been the most complete game played this season.

Reaction Score
That was the worst sports telecast I've seen in ten or twenty years. The camera work was awful (they completely missed a number of plays), the announcers were incompetent (was there even a play-by-play announcer? It sounded like two people watching the game while having a conversation), and my local affiliate (in Maryland) cut away every half hour for a five-minute weather (snow) update.

After the first quarter, I was sensing a replay of the Arkansas game, and fearing back-to-back losses for the first time (in over 1000 games, I think). But they pulled it together with great 2nd and 3rd quarters. I'm liking Nika Muhl more and more: I think they play better when she's out there.

Reaction Score
Saylor begins 0 for Maryland . Looked kind of slow. Paige,Evian and Christyn all get A’s. Liv gets a B. Aubrey with a B- and Aaliya with a B-. Nika gets a shout out for trying to get a referee to play for her team. Overall good game but they sure are slow starters.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
So what was the actual difference between the last two games?
OK, Arkansas is a little better...but vaguely similar in approach...
Both games started similarly with UConn playing like they were falling into the similar rut especially with Mamma E missing.

But in the 2nd quarter, Paige hit a bunch, some easy points were realized in transition the result of solid D...D'Oh? We're actually supposed to guard our man (Woman)...to a goodly extent highlighted, in (initiated) by Nika's efforts.
Then there was rebounding...(We're supposed to do that too?) much better eh?

Put it together and whatta you got?
A much better result.

Better D, better rebounding, slightly better...but not significantly different shooting percentage. And we were able to carve their heart out so that the 4th quarter was garbage time.

And Christyn played harder and attacked the rim to good effect
And the bigs had only 5 fouls between them and were far more aggressive and aware.

More the way its supposed to be...
The question is...Is the combination of intelligent aggression and reasonable fundamentals a consistent feature of Uconn's game going forward or will we relapse.

Stay tuned

Reaction Score
Great performance in Q2-Q3.

But still all about the middle. Liv's size and Paige's shooting was what helped open things up, which is what allowed CW to drive.
Can team still do that against a team that's taller/quick than DePaul? That's the key.

And note what Geno has been saying all along: "once Paige scores more, it will open up opportunities for a lot of other people."

Reaction Score
Okay guys come in off the ledges.
Yes, it was getting really cold out there so I was glad to come in from the ledge. DePaul played the same kind of run and gun game as Arkansas, but they weren't as defensively aggressive. Ar. took their chances on fouls/contact being called and it paid off. Way to go Huskies!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
8) Disappointing that Autumn didn't get a taste in the last 1:30 (no need for Paige to go back in, unless Autumn is in Geno's Chateau De Bow Wow)
Geno put Paige in probably to make Saylor more comfortable for her 1st college game.
And Geno to Saylor: Just make any shots you can. Don't worry if they are in or not

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I Just Loved This Game! Smiled the Whole Game. The Game Flowed Much Better Than Arkansas. Paige, Evina and CW my players of the game. Can’t wait to see more of Saylor.
I was very impressed with all the gals today......in different ways!

Reaction Score
1) One statement to sum up Paige "All-American"
2) Christyn Williams had a bounce back game. Shot looked good and she looked comfortable
3) a 5 for 6 from the Field and 8 Boards game for Aubrey Griffin was pretty effective (despite taking a AE shot to the head)
4) efficient game from Evina Westbrook. 12 Points and 14 Boards, nothing to sneeze about !
5) ONO's game was good but one would expect more from Olivia
6) AE's game off the bench was good, but that Shot that she gave to Aubrey in the 2nd Quarter could have been devastating. (more "Bull in the China Shop")
I think that Geno told Saylor to shoot every time she got the ball and put Paige back in to pass the ball to Saylor

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom