DePaul Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

DePaul Postgame Thread

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The APB put out for CW and ONO produced some good results. Might have been the best all around game CW has ever played in a UCONN uniform. Her defense on Morris was absolutely stellar.
For CW yes. For Liv, well, not as much. She still can't power through arms for the layup. She's still getting pushed well off the block. So much so that Geno had her on the elbow or on the perimeter from some of her minutes. The last two games she has not attempted an outside shot. She still has problems with her dribble on strong drives from the foul line. She is still frequently out of position on rebounds, and she doesn't really read the ball off the rim very well. She still brings the ball down after entry passes. She doesn't have the best power dribble. She still gives silly fouls after being out of position. When was the last time we've seen Liv shoot that fadaway? Liv does have many strong points. Liv does run the floor well. She has soft hands in the lane and in transition. She still alters shots in the lane. Her left leg drop is quicker this year than at any point. She does now occasionally drop that left leg. She does make nice passes from inside and at the elbow. She does occasionally make the 12 footer. Less occasionally, the 3. But it seems to me Liv has only done what is required in the weight room, and what she really needs is to be a weight room warrior. Unless her shot improves dramatically as well as her power dribble, and she takes the weight room more seriously she's going to have problems at the next level.

Reaction Score
It was FOX on the local Spectrum Cable feed. When the game went off at half, I searched all my streaming services to no avail, so I ended up following the play by play text feed on the ESPN site.

If you have the FoxSports app on a roku, smart TV...etc...etc. you could have switched to the streaming FoxSports app and kept on watching bypassing your local Fox channel on Spectrum...but it's no use now...for future ref I suppose.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Funky shot mechanics, though. That will be the project over the summer.
Yea definitely not the shot I remembered from Saylor HS tapes.
I went back to look, shot is completely different. That's concerning because I also found this quote from her mother.

“I think it impacted her shooting,” Amy Poffenbarger said. “You could just tell that her 3-point shot was different, probably because she was compensating for [the bad hip].”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
BTW Ark playing Auburn right now. Ark is 1-8 from three so far. It figures.
There are no easy games in the SEC. TN up 1 in the 4th vs FL. SC up 3 in the 2nd vs Bama. KY edges Mizzou by 6 and as you point out AR down 10 to Auburn.

Reaction Score
Nice bounce back game.

The announcers talked about Depaul being rusty after not playing for 10 days (I think they said it in Q3), but that wasn't the problem. They had a great Q1. UCONN just outplayed them. Maybe wore them down a bit. Maybe they got a bit demoralized. Our 3-point shooting was actually better than DePaul's - a shocker I know!!

Paige took 15 shots. YAY. Now go for 20. I liked seeing Nika in the game with her - made Paige more a 2G.

Have to give Christyn props. Best game I've seen from her in a long time. Aggressive to the hoop, and even shot 2-4 from deep. Really nice to see.

The other junior... I've given up on Olivia. Still with the tomahawk chop on blocking. Still with bringing the ball down to her waste and/or dribbling when not necessary, leaving herself open to be stripped. I'm ready to see a lot more of Liya and a lot less of ONO. Olivia is what she is. A decent post player. That is all.

I thought Nika did some really good things. Came in and right away TO, foul, etc. but gathered herself and played well.

SO GLAD to see Aubrey start the 2nd half. I was worried about concussion protocol on her - she got nailed in Q2. I LOVE her energy. She may not do everything perfect, but her improvement has been noticeable, and she brings a scoring pop that is fun to see.

Evina had an off shooting night, but 14 boards - holy crap! Loved the play at the end of Q2 where she stole the inbounds pas and was fouled with .5 left on the clock. I really really hope she comes back next season. She adds SO MUCH to this team, and I'm very concerned about Williams and ONO being the team leaders next season.

Liya has a lot of upside. For all that people worry about our play in the post, SHE is the future.

Piath is getting it. Also, loved seeing Poff in - she's not afraid to shoot, but she looks like she's moving thru molasses at this point. Of course, too small a sample size. Just getting reps is great for her. Had a nice almost steal at half-court.

Overall, a very nice bounceback game. Average Q1, but came on gangbusters in Q2 and Q3. Much better ball movement and movement without the ball...
I’m still pulling for Liv. I still believe she will get better and be a force for us before she leaves. AE brings a different dynamic inside but is still having difficulty with fouls and until she gets a handle on that, it will be difficult to rely on her. I’m sure SC will attack her relentlessly. She and Liv are going to have to stay on the floor if we are to win that game. This is what we have been looking for from Christyn! Less threes more of everything else. Was pulling for Paige to get three more rebounds but once again, she showed how fortunate we are to have her on our team. What a great player!

Reaction Score
It was FOX on the local Spectrum Cable feed. When the game went off at half, I searched all my streaming services to no avail, so I ended up following the play by play text feed on the ESPN site.
its on my fox in NY now the 4th just started. you believe this

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Great all around game, glad to see Paige more aggressive. We will need that going forward. Nika getting valuable PT, thinking she will be good when playing with Paige. ONA still not aggressive enough, doesn't display any emotion like the others. Doesn't seem to show any real strength down low, always loses the ball. Evena solid once again, Free Throws-UGH

Reaction Score
Paige did her thing...I thought she had a few more assists, but great double double against a good DePaul team. Is she one of the most accurate outside shooters we’ve ever had. She’s shooting well above 50%.

CW must have read the BY because she focused a lot more on driving to the hoop. Her best offensive performance by far. I was pleased to see her take less forced jump shots.

ONO should be able to dominate against such short opponents. But we know what we have at this point. I thought AE gave great minutes when ONO was off the floor and looked more poised to not foul.

Westbrook played well again, but had a lot of TOs. Not her best overall game, but her best rebounding game.

Good team win coming off the loss.
I thought it was great that Evina took 12 shots and that Paige took 15. It was a BY theme. Evina and Paige came out shooting which was clearly by design or should I say redesign? E looked winded to me in the first half and she had 3-4 misses in a row that were short, usually a sign of tiredness. However, 14 boards is stellar and when you add in 12 points, 5 dimes, 1 steal and 2 blocks it is a complete all around game. Her turnovers were also attributable to being tired I thought. Once she got her second wind she was a different player.

CW was everything in this game we have been desperately waiting for. 12-15 from the field, no forced 3s, only those taken in the rhythm of the offense, drives, transition lay ups and pull ups. Play to your strengths.

As for Paige, as CocoH said, she is all that and a bag of chips. I think they must be solid gold chips because she is that valuable.

The defense was much tighter, more efficient in switches, very team oriented.

Finally, Saylor. Let them fly, you are playing with house money this year.

A very, very satisfying game with a lot of very good UCONN trademark unselfish plays. Build on it!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige is definitely going to be spoken of the same way as Diana / Sue when she leaves UConn (as long as her teammates do their job) Doug was quoted as saying she is a hybrid of the two of them. And the FOX are happy to make that extrapolation.

Reaction Score
So what is the difference between losing to ranked Arkansas and beating ranked DePaul? It isn’t the difference. It is what they share. Both UConn and DePaul play in Big East where both can pad their resumes. The difference is that DePaul is far better than all the other mediocre teams in Big East and UConn is far better than DePaul. Duh, you say. Credit DePaul for scheduling big girls, credit UConn for at least trying to schedule big girls. Credit the other conferences with fielding multiple, competitive quality teams.
Chelsea Dungee...........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Paige did her thing...I thought she had a few more assists, but great double double against a good DePaul team. Is she one of the most accurate outside shooters we’ve ever had. She’s shooting well above 50%.

CW must have read the BY because she focused a lot more on driving to the hoop. Her best offensive performance by far. I was pleased to see her take less forced jump shots.

ONO should be able to dominate against such short opponents. But we know what we have at this point. I thought AE gave great minutes when ONO was off the floor and looked more poised to not foul.

Westbrook played well again, but had a lot of TOs. Not her best overall game, but her best rebounding game.

Good team win coming off the loss.
Not so long ago there were numbers of people here who keep insisting she was not a long ball shooter. They have gone silent.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hope we can get the post game side line interview of Sarah Kustok and Paige. Talk about poise and pride for the program and giving her team mates credit for her double double.

And when she said what changed from Ark. Defense. We did not have the right energy. 90 points for a UConn team is unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I
I went back to look, shot is completely different. That's concerning because I also found this quote from her mother.

“I think it impacted her shooting,” Amy Poffenbarger said. “You could just tell that her 3-point shot was different, probably because she was compensating for [the bad hip].”

She’s healed now though? Shouldn’t her shot be back to normal?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom