Delany on East Coast pre-expansion push: espn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Delany on East Coast pre-expansion push: espn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn's situation reminds me of the allied airborne troops who dropped into Arnhem, Netherlands during Operation Market Garden during WW2. UConn is stuck on an island in enemy territory (Connecticut). The B1G relief column is advancing from allied-controlled territory (Pennsylvania). Will the B1G's armored cavalry secure UConn's flank (New York) in time to save the day? We need to find reinforcements in New York. Does anyone know of a land-grant university in New York, who has about 50,000 affluent alums in NYC? Preferably a university whose endowment would make Jim Delany's toes curl with unbridled excitement? A university who could serve as an aspirational peer to even Michigan? Hmm...

I suspect you are referring to Cornell University which is a private university but also the land grant institution of New York State with a presence in NYC. Although the Big Ten Presidents and Chancellors would welcome the university from an academic perspective, it is not an athletic fit and competes in football in the FCS division rather than the FBS division; it is difficult to think of any incentive for Cornell to leave the Ivy League.
There was a blog two days before April Fool's Day in 2009 about Cornell to the Big Ten: http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/2009/03/should-cornell-leave-ivy-league-and.html

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I suspect you are referring to Cornell University which is a private university but also the land grant institution of New York State with a presence in NYC. Although the Big Ten Presidents and Chancellors would welcome the university from an academic perspective, it is not an athletic fit and competes in football in the FCS division rather than the FBS division; it is difficult to think of any incentive for Cornell to leave the Ivy League.
There was a blog two days before April Fool's Day in 2009 about Cornell to the Big Ten: http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/2009/03/should-cornell-leave-ivy-league-and.html

That was awesome! Love how people thought it was real!

Reaction Score
Sometimes truth can
The funny thing is, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Question is, would Cornell's football program transitioning from FCS to FBS in an eastern B1G be a tough transition? Of course, they'd be curb-stomped by the likes of Michigan, Sparty, Ohio St. for a good long while, and it would be tough sledding against the rest of the football conference, but the remainder of their sports teams fit the B1G profile pretty well. Athletics aside, there is an uncanny research undercurrent linking UConn, Cornell, and now Buffalo in "the east." This relationship involves these institutions' ties to the New York Genome Center in Manhattan. And who was one of the twelve founding institutions of the NYGC besides Cornell? Jackson Laboratory. Yes that Jackson Laboratory. The company that's building built UConn's brand spankin' new genomic research juggernaut in Farmington, Ct.

So, how does all this lead back to the B1G? The B1G's Cancer Research Consortium is streamlining member institutions' cancer research initiatives like they're chambering rounds into a shotgun. It's like a massive round of horizontal integration. The B1G wants to train, foster, retain as many new research scientists in-situ as possible, in order to increase and maintain the quality of the conference's research. This is why Rutgers was a critical add for the B1G. Rutgers brought President Barchi in for the sole purpose of consolidating The State University of New Jersey's hospital assets in preparation for their assimilation into the B1G. That's an additional $3 billion worth of medical research potential to which the B1G now has access. IMO, the link between "the east" and the B1G are too coincidental to ignore.

Reaction Score
Sometimes truth can

The funny thing is, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Question is, would Cornell's football program transitioning from FCS to FBS in an eastern B1G be a tough transition? Of course, they'd be curb-stomped by the likes of Michigan, Sparty, Ohio St. for a good long while, and it would be tough sledding against the rest of the football conference, but the remainder of their sports teams fit the B1G profile pretty well. Athletics aside, there is an uncanny research undercurrent linking UConn, Cornell, and now Buffalo in "the east." This relationship involves these institutions' ties to the New York Genome Center in Manhattan. And who was one of the twelve founding institutions of the NYGC besides Cornell? Jackson Laboratory. Yes that Jackson Laboratory. The company that's building built UConn's brand spankin' new genomic research juggernaut in Farmington, Ct.

So, how does all this lead back to the B1G? The B1G's Cancer Research Consortium is streamlining member institutions' cancer research initiatives like they're chambering rounds into a shotgun. It's like a massive round of horizontal integration. The B1G wants to train, foster, retain as many new research scientists in-situ as possible, in order to increase and maintain the quality of the conference's research. This is why Rutgers was a critical add for the B1G. Rutgers brought President Barchi in for the sole purpose of consolidating The State University of New Jersey's hospital assets in preparation for their assimilation into the B1G. That's an additional $3 billion worth of medical research potential to which the B1G now has access. IMO, the link between "the east" and the B1G are too coincidental to ignore.

We (the Big Ten posters who post here) are all in agreement with you that the emerging link, both athletic and academic, between the Big Ten and institutions in the East is a welcome addition to the conference. We think UConn would strengthen the link and their new academic vision aligns well with that of our conference and their basketball success would be great for the conference. An institution such as Cornell or SUNY Buffalo, from an academic perspective, would also align well and be an "academic and cultural fit" for the conference. The challenge for these two institutions is athletics especially relative to football at a time when strength of schedule will be an important part of the selection to participate in the new college football playoff and the perception of the Big Ten is at a low. This is a sincere not sarcastic question: since we need a partner for UConn, do you have any evidence to suggest either of these two institutions is under consideration for Big Ten membership and that Cornell would leave the Ivy League?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think it's been said about as well as it can be said. Cornell is not leaving the Ivy League to become Stanford East. And Buffalo, for all it's merits, is too far from NYC to bag its TV sets.

Reaction Score
I think it's been said about as well as it can be said. Cornell is not leaving the Ivy League to become Stanford East. And Buffalo, for all it's merits, is too far from NYC to bag its TV sets.

That would be quite a twist because Cornell played a pivotal role in the founding of Stanford in the late 1800's. Many of Stanford's first professors hailed from Cornell. Maybe the weather had something to do with it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ESPN College BBall ‏@ESPNCBB 37m
Sources: D.C. to host Big Ten tourney in '17: http://es.pn/1mykga1

Reaction Score
The only think worse than Cornell football, is probably Columbia football. No recruits going to Columbia or Cornell for football glory. Ivy League has more money than the majority of national GDP's around the world. This foray into Ivy league football potentially joining the Big 10 has been a nice little fiction.

Reaction Score
We (the Big Ten posters who post here) are all in agreement with you that the emerging link, both athletic and academic, between the Big Ten and institutions in the East is a welcome addition to the conference. We think UConn would strengthen the link and their new academic vision aligns well with that of our conference and their basketball success would be great for the conference. An institution such as Cornell or SUNY Buffalo, from an academic perspective, would also align well and be an "academic and cultural fit" for the conference. The challenge for these two institutions is athletics especially relative to football at a time when strength of schedule will be an important part of the selection to participate in the new college football playoff and the perception of the Big Ten is at a low. This is a sincere not sarcastic question: since we need a partner for UConn, do you have any evidence to suggest either of these two institutions is under consideration for Big Ten membership and that Cornell would leave the Ivy League?

Happened to see this post on the WVU board. A poster with second-hand "insider info" says that Cornell and the Big Ten have been in talks for partial membership.

I'm not an insider, not even close. I love College sports and I love my Gophers & Mountaineers, and that's it. I know nobody and nobody knows me.
I'm not even sure I want to write this post. And don't ask why I'm writing it in a Big 12 message board, because my answer would be simply I don't know where else I would put this delicate information. I come to this Big 12 message board because I love watching Big 12 football and I learn a lot about what people are thinking about in regards to Big Time college sport expansion.
But I got into a conversation with I guy who I have not seen since 2006. I saw him accidentally last night at Maxwell Bar in Downtown Minneapolis. Actually, its not quite downtown, but close enough.
This guy works at Cornell University, and he has been since he was done wrestling in 1987. I went to school with him back in the early 1980's. Our conversation went from family to sports within about 3 minutes of meeting each again for the first time in 8 years. I wish I had a device which could have recorded our conversation so I could play back to you guys what he said to me last night.
Here it is, what I could remember.
President Skorton of Cornell is leaving Cornell University sometime in 2015. Skorton worked at Iowa before he became the President of Cornell. I think he was the President of Iowa, but I'm not sure, I don't remember all the details. But Skorton was a Hawkeye before he went to Cornell. Skorton and Delany have been talking about the possibility of moving some of Cornell's Olympic sports into the Big 10. According to this guys story Cornell would start with moving their lacrosse teams, Men & Women's, before they would move any of the other sports teams to the Big 10. He mentioned wrestling would happen before Hockey, if the transition of the lacrosse teams into the Big 10 went in a positive direction. I doubted his information and asked him why would the Big 10 want to add Cornell and how could he know of any of this information. This guy told me that Delany wants more live sport events for his network and Cornell can fulfill what Delany wants as a Big 10 partial member. On the Cornell side it would mean lots more money and it would provide a bigger carrot for Cornell to encourage their rich boosters down the road. The question is, according to this guys story, can Skorton make this happen before he leaves the University next year. The kicker to this story is that if this happens, if Cornell joins the Big 10 in Lacrosse, we will know about it before the end of this summer, summer of 2014.
I asked again why does he know this stuff, and he answered back, "because my old Wrestling Coach told me 2 weeks ago discussions were going on between Cornell and the Big 10".
I don't know who his Coach was at Cornell, and I didn't ask, I decided to just let it go.
I'm not sure what to think of his story. I tried to look up what leagues Cornell was in besides the Ivy League in D1 sports, and it seems that they are involved with quite a few different leagues from what I could tell.
No mentioned of basketball from this guy and I didn't ask. I guess was too much in shock. He just mentioned Lacrosse, Wrestling & Hockey, at least from what I could remember.
I'm not an insider, but I sure felt like one last night for about 15 minutes.
I'm still not sure what or how to think about this possibility.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=12863167

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
So I imagine Cornell won't be official team #16 to come with (hopefully) UConn?

Interesting that B1G seems to be looking to go so all-in on lacrosse.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Happened to see this post on the WVU board. A poster with second-hand "insider info" says that Cornell and the Big Ten have been in talks for partial membership.

What decade were they in talks?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Lol - The poor guy worked at Cornell from the time he finished wrestling there in '87 right up until he got ratted out in a message board for leaking confidential information. Unless cornell has multiple current employees that wrestled there 25 years ago.

Reaction Score

Since Johns Hopkins joined the Big Ten as an affiliate member for lacrosse, is it possible that other highly regarded academic and research institutions could also join as affiliate members for lacrosse or other sports? Sure it is possible.

The Big Ten and Ivy League have a research collaboration together: http://www.bigten.org/genrel/061912aaa.html. Perhaps a collaboration with one or more Ivy League institutions in one or more sports has been discussed as a mutually beneficial endeavor.

However, these are just moves on the periphery. It is my opinion the Big Ten needs to add full time members such as UConn (#15) and another eastern institution (#16) to have the most significant impact on expansion to the east.

Reaction Score
Since Johns Hopkins joined the Big Ten as an affiliate member for lacrosse, is it possible that other highly regarded academic and research institutions could also join as affiliate members for lacrosse or other sports? Sure it is possible.

The Big Ten and Ivy League have a research collaboration together: http://www.bigten.org/genrel/061912aaa.html. Perhaps a collaboration with one or more Ivy League institutions in one or more sports has been discussed as a mutually beneficial endeavor.

However, these are just moves on the periphery. It is my opinion the Big Ten needs to add full time members such as UConn (#15) and another eastern institution (#16) to have the most significant impact on expansion to the east.

Can't see it happening in hockey. Cornell is going to leave Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, Princeton, Yale behind in the ECAC?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
upstater said:
Can't see it happening in hockey. Cornell is going to leave Harvard, Brown, Dartmouth, Princeton, Yale behind in the ECAC?

If not every B1G program will invest in hockey, I could see a merger with the Ivy schools from the ECAC. The rise of Union and QU has made it clear that their academic restrictions is hurting recruiting. Quasi-Ivies like RPI and Clarkson are doomed because they are caught in the middle, too tough to get most players and not prestigious enough to get the top academic players.

Reaction Score
Odd, I heard the same about the B1G and Boston U a few months back, except the target was BU’s hockey program. No idea why, maybe tired of being under BC Hockey’s shadow or more money? BU is AAU, does not have a football program, and is in a major metropolitan area, so it could make sense and is similar to what B1G and Johns Hopkins is doing; but, for lacrosse. I just can’t see BU leaving Hockey East, though they can easily continue to schedule games against the local Boston teams and they would still have the Beanpot.

Reaction Score

I do not know much about Ivy League athletics. Are there any sports sponsored by an Ivy League institution in which an affiliate membership with the Big Ten would be worth consideration?

Reaction Score
I believe 6 of the 8 Ivy’s play hockey (U Penn and Columbia do not). That would really help beef-up B1G hockey scheduling if this was true.

Right now, 5 Ivy teams (U Penn, Cornell, Yale, Harvard, Princeton) are in the NCAA’s Top 20 men’s lacrosse poll while only Penn St (playing in the Colonial) and 2 future members (Johns Hopkins and Maryland) are ranked for the B1G. By the way, I did not know that Denver is in the Big East for lacrosse.

In women’s lacrosse, Penn St (Colonial) plus future member Maryland is in the Top 20 while 2 Ivy’s are ranked (U Penn and Princeton).

Wrestling, which is an important sports in certain regions, the addition of Cornell would give the B1G the top Top 4 ranked teams (Minnesota, Penn St, Iowa, Cornell) and 10 of the Top 20 right now.

An alliance with the Ivy league would also put some distance between the two and the ACC for an academic perspective, which carries some weight, especially if football is significantly altered due to unions/pay for play/concussions, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also note the comment about Delany wanting content for the BTN Network.

I doubted his information and asked him why would the Big 10 want to add Cornell and how could he know of any of this information. This guy told me that Delany wants more live sport events for his network

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
The Funster said:
Do any other UConn fans shudder when they hear "affiliate" or "partial" member?

Not as long as it's for FB.

pj

Reaction Score
Do any other UConn fans shudder when they hear "affiliate" or "partial" member?

Not necessarily. It would be acceptable for UConn to go in for all sports but football, if they had a deal in which UConn had to be #15 as a full member if the B1G ever expanded, and there was a scheduling agreement so we could get football games against P5 schools to maintain the football program.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
So how would this play in to the apparently inevitable break off of 4 16 team leagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom