Dear UConn Athletic Department | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dear UConn Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Holy Christ with the retail references: The entire brick and mortar retail industry has pinned their hopes on price matching. So yes if you buy something and in the near term the price goes down they give you the difference.

It's impossible to believe how short sighted some posters are on this issue. And if you think anyone in Connecticut has any interest in SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa or ECU... you are clueless.

Reaction Score
Holy Christ with the retail references: The entire brick and mortar retail industry has pinned their hopes on price matching. So yes if you buy something and in the near term the price goes down they give you the difference.

It's impossible to believe how short sighted some posters are on this issue. And if you think anyone in Connecticut has any interest in SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa or ECU... you are clueless.

I guess some folks are pumped about this new lineup, God bless them, I wish I was.

Reaction Score

Calm down big fella. No one in Connecticut gives a crap about any football team. This state doesn't have a tradition in football. If we were in the ACC, no one would know the difference except us here on the Boneyard. This state just doesn't care. We get behind a winner. We got behind the Whalers when they won a few playoff games. It wouldn't matter if it was Virginia and NC State. Maryland is good because of the RE connection. If we could get a winning program together, if, if, if, if, if, then it doesn't matter. That's the Connecticut reality.

Reaction Score
Calm down big fella. No one in Connecticut gives a crap about any football team. This state doesn't have a tradition in football. If we were in the ACC, no one would know the difference except us here on the Boneyard. This state just doesn't care. We get behind a winner. We got behind the Whalers when they won a few playoff games. It wouldn't matter if it was Virginia and NC State. Maryland is good because of the RE connection. If we could get a winning program together, if, if, if, if, if, then it doesn't matter. That's the Connecticut reality.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think even if they start winning, there's going to be an issue filling that stadium for an AAC conference schedule.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
gars44 said:

I know a lot of people who care about the Giants. Some people seem to care about the Patriots.

Seemed some people cared about Michigan and Oklahoma.

People wouldn't notice Florida State, Clemson and Virginia Tech versus UCF, Tulane and Temple? Really?

Reaction Score
Roger that. Big names count. I'm talking college, not pros. As long as we manage to bring in big name OOCs, we'll cover that. Boise State, BYU, Tennessee. I don't think CT cares about NC State, GT, Duke, NC, NC State, most of the ACC. Most of the B1G. But FSU, Clemson, yes. Local talent, UMass, BC, RU, yes. I get we have problems. I get it, trust me. I'm just saying that most of our fan base is recreational, conference doesn't matter as much as winning as long as there are some draws on the schedule.

Reaction Score
Roger that. Big names count. I'm talking college, not pros. As long as we manage to bring in big name OOCs, we'll cover that. Boise State, BYU, Tennessee. I don't think CT cares about NC State, GT, Duke, NC, NC State, most of the ACC. Most of the B1G. But FSU, Clemson, yes. Local talent, UMass, BC, RU, yes. I get we have problems. I get it, trust me. I'm just saying that most of our fan base is recreational, conference doesn't matter as much as winning as long as there are some draws on the schedule.

I think a problem going forward is the perception of "big time" with those recreational fans. Ok, get some good OOC games, that's great. But at best that's 2 games - you then have at least one cupcake, and then the lackluster conference schedule to try to sell to people

Reaction Score
I think a problem going forward is the perception of "big time" with those recreational fans. Ok, get some good OOC games, that's great. But at best that's 2 games - you then have at least one cupcake, and then the lackluster conference schedule to try to sell to people
John, that's why I'm saying, if we win, it's all good. Our recreational fans don't give a crap. They want to get out of there by halftime anyway. We have no tradition. We don't have any second or third generation fans to fill the seats. If we're winning they will come. Till halftime. Conference doesn't matter to these people.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
gars44 said:

But the conference drives the schedule. Saying people care who they play but not what conference they are in makes no sense.

There won't be any draws on the schedule unless they are in a better league.

Reaction Score
But the conference drives the schedule. Saying people care who they play but not what conference they are in makes no sense.

There won't be any draws on the schedule unless they are in a better league.

Which is exactly why we have to win at any cost short of banishment. Just have to. Exactly why. We cannot be complacent. We can not afford at this time be a "good citizen." We have to be like old Oakland Raiders. We have to be pirates, robbing the ships coming into port. We have to be like da U. That's the model. Back in the 80's da U was greatly disparaged. Not today. Now they are the darlings. "Unfairly" targeted by the NCAA, yeah right. But there was a time. They were willing to take those chances. They got sanctioned. They got all kinds of sanctions. They paid the price. Look at where they are now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
gars44 said:
Which is exactly why we have to win at any cost short of banishment. Just have to. Exactly why. We cannot be complacent. We can not afford at this time be a "good citizen." We have to be like old Oakland Raiders. We have to be pirates, robbing the ships coming into port. We have to be like da U. That's the model. Back in the 80's da U was greatly disparaged. Not today. Now they are the darlings. "Unfairly" targeted by the NCAA, yeah right. But there was a time. They were willing to take those chances. They got sanctioned. They got all kinds of sanctions. They paid the price. Look at where they are now.

If you want to be Uncle Luke, I'm happy to bring the strippers.

Reaction Score
Do not agree with you on value perception.

John, next year's OOC games include BYU, Boise State, Army at Yankee Stadium and up and coming Stoney Brook. If you are a fan of college football, will gladly welcome Houston, UCF, SMU ECU and Navy. Good riddance to schools that did not want to build up something great. You remind me of fans back in the early 80's who did not want to be in the BE and wanted to continue to play Yankee Conference schools.!!!Always complaining..until JC arrived, we began to win and then people (maybe...like you) were wearing their UCONN shirts etc.
[/quote]

I am old enough to fondly remember listening to Yankee Conference football games on WTIC in the early 1960's. Also remember going to basketball games before the BIG East even glimmer in Dave Gavitt's eye. Things do change and I have been away from CT for some time now so I may be underestimating the desire of fans to see games with second tier schools from the Carolinas, Texas, and Florida. If BYU and Boise are our premiere matchups going forward we are in trouble trying to keep the current base never mind expanding it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Horrid analogy. The football equivalent to what you're talking about is UConn price-matching Army's ticket prices. B&M's are price matching against a different online cost structure and market. Sort of like Army and UConn.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that our OOC keeps interest high enough for long enough. We'll see.

Reaction Score

I am old enough to fondly remember listening to Yankee Conference football games on WTIC in the early 1960's. Also remember going to basketball games before the BIG East even glimmer in Dave Gavitt's eye. Things do change and I have been away from CT for some time now so I may be underestimating the desire of fans to see games with second tier schools from the Carolinas, Texas, and Florida. If BYU and Boise are our premiere matchups going forward we are in trouble trying to keep the current base never mind expanding it.[/quote]

let me break this down for everyone meat-wise: We never had filet mignon in the Big East, but we had some really nice steak non-the-less. Now we're looking at hamburger or even Spam. So it's really hard to get up for meals of Spam when you're used to decent (but not top-shelf) steak.

Reaction Score
With a hire that gets people excited we have a chance to approach 20k season tickets next year. The AAC schedule, coming off a 3-9 season, and economic factors will be tough to overcome. I don't think Boise or BYU makes up for that. If I had to wager......around 15k give or take a thousand for next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
pepband99 said:
Horrid analogy. The football equivalent to what you're talking about is UConn price-matching Army's ticket prices. B&M's are price matching against a different online cost structure and market. Sort of like Army and UConn.

I'm still cautiously optimistic that our OOC keeps interest high enough for long enough. We'll see.

They match their own prices too.

Reaction Score
I am old enough to fondly remember listening to Yankee Conference football games on WTIC in the early 1960's. Also remember going to basketball games before the BIG East even glimmer in Dave Gavitt's eye. Things do change and I have been away from CT for some time now so I may be underestimating the desire of fans to see games with second tier schools from the Carolinas, Texas, and Florida. If BYU and Boise are our premiere matchups going forward we are in trouble trying to keep the current base never mind expanding it.

let me break this down for everyone meat-wise: We never had filet mignon in the Big East, but we had some really nice steak non-the-less. Now we're looking at hamburger or even Spam. So it's really hard to get up for meals of Spam when you're used to decent (but not top-shelf) steak.[/quote]

Love your meat analogy. The sad part is that in MBB we are used to filet. This really struck home last night as I watched the B1G/ACC matchups. A few years ago we had the BE/ACC challenge and big Monday. That morphed into the BE/SEC challenge when ESPN decided to match the ACC with the B1G. BE/SEC was not quite as good but, still prime. Now they have paired the SEC and Big12. Now these prearranged matches and Big Monday are both gone. Hopefully KO and company can keep the better cuts coming.

Reaction Score
it doesn't bother you that you pay $27 per seat for a game that they know is going to be a ghost town, and then go and firesale tickets at $5 per?

I wonder how much screaming there would be if tickets to UCONN/Florida were sold at $100/each and tickets to Maine were sold for $5. I'm sure you'd end up with empty seats at the Florida game and while you'd "sell" a lot of tickets to the Maine game people wouldn't show up for it. People don't show up for Towson even though they paid full price for it. There is a "clearing" price for every game in order to sell every ticket. The "season ticket" price is meant to maximize $ / sales over the course of a season, so EVERY game is mispriced on its own. I bought my season tickets KNOWING I wouldn't go to half of the BB games, and I do my best to give them up or sell them to other people at cost. But two years ago when I didn't, I felt like an idiot because I ended up having to pay $120 for a ticket to the Cuse Gameday game (of course I didn't "have to" but I really wanted to go).

I agree with Whaler theoretically on this, but season tickets for football (and hoops) usually come in groups (meaning that it isn't usually 2 guys paying for their own seats, but rather couples / families buying a pair or more).

So when someone looks at 6 (or 7) * $25/game = $150 a seat (or $300/pair). Good seats add $100/season for donation. Even more for chairbacks. So if I'm looking at a pair of tickets (assume that I'm price sensitive so I forgo donation seats), I'm looking at $300 for a pair. At $20/game, I'm looking at $240/pair. For people that are really price sensitive, does $240/pair v. $300/pair mean anything? Unless you don't tailgate AND you don't eat inside, the ticket price is the least expensive part of the day.

I think it is pretty simple. When HCRE was here, the ONLY games we lost at home were against high-value teams (WVU, GT, etc) which had a good draw regardless. Not only did you have a great opportunity to party, you also were nearly always assured a win (or a good game - or at least if you lost you were expecting it). The air went out of the party with HCRE's departure, and the inability of PP to win games. Now it is just a party with some football for those that actually care.

As to the math - 10% of the seats are chairback - so 36,000 seats are at $25/game. Total take of $900,000 / game if you sell them out (ignoring the donations). If we have 30,000 season tickets sold, assume the chairbacks are sold (which I know they aren't completely) and we have sold 26,000 season tickets (bleacher) at $25/game. Season ticket take at $650,000/game. If you dropped the tickets to $18.05/game, you'd have to sell ALL 36,000 of them to make up for the discount. And I don't think that we sell out at $18/game either. So when people talk about dropping prices, the price that you'd have to drop them to in order to guarantee a sell-out (probably $10/ticket) means you are giving up a ton of revenue in order to fill the stadium. And while you would sell more tickets, people are very unlikely to come to a December game v. Memphis just because they bought a $10 ticket in March/April. The money is already spent. The gate would be the same either way. And nobody would bother trying to resell a ticket they bought for $10.

The vast majority of the people making season ticket decisions are making them on a binary basis within reason. You will always gain/lose people at the margins, but at the end of the day it comes down to:

Winning = Demand

The rest is just noise.

Reaction Score
Your revenue analysis is spot on. It also points out the underlying revenue problem we will have going forward. At any reasonable price level schools like UConn simply can not generate the revenue to compete with the big programs. As an example Bama gets about 20,000 parkers in school controlled lots for a home game. Parking costs $20 or $30 depending on location. For premium seating ($1,000+ donation) parking is included in the package. Nevertheless they still generate +/- $400,000 from parking while we would have to sellout to generate a little over twice that from actual ticket This does not count the tailgate tents and catering they rent on the Quad. I use Bama because I am familiar with their numbers. I am sure they would be similar, or better, at many other schools with a big on campus stadium. TV money in the AAC will never make up even a small part of that difference.

Reaction Score
I wonder how much screaming there would be if tickets to UCONN/Florida were sold at $100/each and tickets to Maine were sold for $5. I'm sure you'd end up with empty seats at the Florida game and while you'd "sell" a lot of tickets to the Maine game people wouldn't show up for it. People don't show up for Towson even though they paid full price for it. There is a "clearing" price for every game in order to sell every ticket. The "season ticket" price is meant to maximize $ / sales over the course of a season, so EVERY game is mispriced on its own. I bought my season tickets KNOWING I wouldn't go to half of the BB games, and I do my best to give them up or sell them to other people at cost. But two years ago when I didn't, I felt like an idiot because I ended up having to pay $120 for a ticket to the Cuse Gameday game (of course I didn't "have to" but I really wanted to go).

I agree with Whaler theoretically on this, but season tickets for football (and hoops) usually come in groups (meaning that it isn't usually 2 guys paying for their own seats, but rather couples / families buying a pair or more).

So when someone looks at 6 (or 7) $25/game = $150 a seat (or $300/pair). Good seats add $100/season for donation. Even more for chairbacks. So if I'm looking at a pair of tickets (assume that I'm price sensitive so I forgo donation seats), I'm looking at $300 for a pair. At $20/game, I'm looking at $240/pair. For people that are really price sensitive, does $240/pair v. $300/pair mean anything? Unless you don't tailgate AND you don't eat inside, the ticket price is the least expensive part of the day.

I think it is pretty simple. When HCRE was here, the ONLY games we lost at home were against high-value teams (WVU, GT, etc) which had a good draw regardless. Not only did you have a great opportunity to party, you also were nearly always assured a win (or a good game - or at least if you lost you were expecting it). The air went out of the party with HCRE's departure, and the inability of PP to win games. Now it is just a party with some football for those that actually care.

As to the math - 10% of the seats are chairback - so 36,000 seats are at $25/game. Total take of $900,000 / game if you sell them out (ignoring the donations). If we have 30,000 season tickets sold, assume the chairbacks are sold (which I know they aren't completely) and we have sold 26,000 season tickets (bleacher) at $25/game. Season ticket take at $650,000/game. If you dropped the tickets to $18.05/game, you'd have to sell ALL 36,000 of them to make up for the discount. And I don't think that we sell out at $18/game either. So when people talk about dropping prices, the price that you'd have to drop them to in order to guarantee a sell-out (probably $10/ticket) means you are giving up a ton of revenue in order to fill the stadium. And while you would sell more tickets, people are very unlikely to come to a December game v. Memphis just because they bought a $10 ticket in March/April. The money is already spent. The gate would be the same either way. And nobody would bother trying to resell a ticket they bought for $10.

The vast majority of the people making season ticket decisions are making them on a binary basis within reason. You will always gain/lose people at the margins, but at the end of the day it comes down to:

Winning = Demand

The rest is just noise.

J187, I agree with you. At the end of the day, most of it is noise cured by winning... the ticket price is less than the cost of tailgating. Whether it's $27 or $5 per ticket, most of us in our group, which is pretty big, about 30 people,....could care less. Regarding the donation for seats extra, nobody in our group will bat an eyelash because we all know it goes to the school. I also look at it this way, the total cost including gas, tailgating and tickets is still less than a round of golf at some places, get's me a chance to see and drink with old friends and new, Heisman hopefuls (& winner RG3), some great football by some guys who might play on Sunday, cheaper than a night out with my better half and her friends and their boring husbands, and supports a great school and some great kids. I'll pay the money and be with all of us in the UCONN FAMILY. GO HUSKIES!!

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Anytime you can market like a team that draws 350 for basketball games when they should be through the roof excited for joining the Big 10 you have to do it.
This article makes me glad to be a UConn fan, and actually glad to be in the American and have the dominance in hoops that we do, we'll get there in Football sooner than later too... Rutgers is a joke school, and the fact that they're going to the B1G is still just ubsured to me. Go Huskies!!! http://www.mycentraljersey.com/arti...11270055/RAC-attendance-hitting-historic-lows

Reaction Score
Ubsured?

(Sorry. Couldn't help myself. Never seen that one before)

Reaction Score
First off im a season ticket holder for 10 years. Is our fan base really that weak? Complaining about maybe $5 a ticket? For a seat that I can GURANTEE you will be no where near our season ticket holder seats. Look guys the sad truth is if we don't start drawing a lot better then we have our fate is sealed. We will NEVER get a shot at a better conference.. Yes the coaching and on field stuff means a lot to other conferences, but also so does the attendance. The ACC will NEVER take a team that only has 22,000 fans coming to games. I applaud the athletic department for trying to get as many butts in the seats as possible. Hopefully we gain a couple season ticket holders out of this plan. But once again does the $15-20 you MIGHT have paid extra really mean that much? Or would you rather see OUR university and Football team with a packed house and hopefully a much better conference?? Its a no brainer (Atleast I thought it was) that the school try to reach out to EVERYONE and try to get every seat in the Rent. Oh yeah how quickly you season ticket holders forget non season ticket holders paid out the ass for Michigan tickets (if they could find them). Didn't get to see Michigan, Maryland, or Louisville. And like I said before the seats are gonna be nosebleeds. Lets stop bashing the university and the athletic department and try to rally behind them. Because without fans this team can go 12-0 for 5 years in a row we will still be in the same crap conference. We need to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom