Dear UConn Athletic Department | The Boneyard

Dear UConn Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I thought people were joking when they said there was a 4-ticket/4-hot dog/4-soda for $80 coupon...until I just saw it on Facebook. So you mean to tell me that some Johnny-come-lately is getting seats for less than $20, while season ticket holders like me who have sat through these SH IT-TASTIC seasons can basically just suck on it? I'll definitely keep this in mind when my 3-year contract is up next year. Thanks for nothing.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
John said:
So I thought people were joking when they said there was a 4-ticket/4-hot dog/4-soda for $80 coupon...until I just saw it on Facebook. So you mean to tell me that some Johnny-come-lately is getting seats for less than $20, while season ticket holders like me who have sat through these SH IT-TASTIC seasons can basically just suck on it? I'll definitely keep this in mind when my 3-year contract is up next year. Thanks for nothing.
Don't forget, get in before kickoff and you can get $2 off 2 hot dogs and 2 drinks, too.

Reaction Score

It's simple marketing. Ticket sales are probably in the toilet for this season due to on field performance....so instead of getting zero dollars they sell them for 20 a piece...it's much better than zero. It's good for your school regardless of how much you paid for season tix. Rutgers does this all the time and season ticket holders always complain as well.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
While this understandably irks you, it makes long term sense for both UCONN and its season ticket holders.

Putting more people in the seats - regardless of the short term unfairness to season ticket holders - increases the likelihood that your future experience as a season ticket holder will be upgraded. The alternative is lower attendance numbers and more empty seats on tv, making UCONN less attractive to recruits as well as a better conference?

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
While this understandably irks you, it makes long term sense for both UCONN and its season ticket holders.

Putting more people in the seats - regardless of the short term unfairness to season ticket holders - increases the likelihood that your future experience as a season ticket holder will be upgraded. The alternative is lower attendance numbers and more empty seats on tv, making UCONN less attractive to recruits as well as a better conference?

As long as it is followed by a review of prices on seat licenses and season tickets the next year.

I understand the need to fill seats, especially corners or end zones. I would hope that these are not in preferred seating or seat-back seats.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Coach Flood said:
It's simple marketing. Ticket sales are probably in the toilet for this season due to on field performance....so instead of getting zero dollars they sell them for 20 a piece...it's much better than zero. It's good for your school regardless of how much you paid for season tix. Rutgers does this all the time and season ticket holders always complain as well.

And I thought the stuff you posted about Rutgers football was dumb.

Reaction Score

coach flood is correct. marketing 101 guys. And the brutal fact is they need to turn on as many people as possible for next years season tickets. The numbers will be way way way down given the on-field performance, the awful schedule, and what the hell I'll throw obamacare into the mix as well. Now with that being said, UC is not very bright, nor has it ever been, in terms of marketing at any level, for near or long term plans. I would have loved to see them take care of season ticket holders on different levels. Maybe people who have been holders for 1-3 years get a free hot dog, people from 3-8 get a nacho, people 8-10 years get a nacho cheese covered hot dog, and anyone over 10+ years gets a complimentary year of AAA or a reduced rate on a AARP membership

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
TheJerk said:
coach flood is correct. marketing 101 guys. And the brutal fact is they need to turn on as many people as possible for next years season tickets. The numbers will be way way way down given the on-field performance, the awful schedule, and what the hell I'll throw obamacare into the mix as well. Now with that being said, UC is not very bright, nor has it ever been, in terms of marketing at any level, for near or long term plans. I would have loved to see them take care of season ticket holders on different levels. Maybe people who have been holders for 1-3 years get a free hot dog, people from 3-8 get a nacho, people 8-10 years get a nacho cheese covered hot dog, and anyone over 10+ years gets a complimentary year of AAA or a reduced rate on a AARP membership

Maybe they should take marketing 201 next semester as it's idiotic.

Hey we sold a few hundred discounted tickets for Rutgers!

When next summer rolls around and people aren't looking to pay full price plus seat donations these morons will be scratching their heads.

This strategy is the opposite of selling season tickets. It conditions people to wait, decide if it's worth going to and then spend less.

You'd think the fact it hasn't worked in basketball would lead them to this obvious conclusion - but they don't care all they want is whatever few thousand dollars they can squeeze out today. They don't care what it costs them in the long term.

Reaction Score

When next summer rolls around and people aren't looking to pay full price plus seat donations these morons will be scratching their heads.

This strategy is the opposite of selling season tickets. It conditions people to wait, decide if it's worth going to and then spend less.

You'd think the fact it hasn't worked in basketball would lead them to this obvious conclusion - but they don't care all they want is whatever few thousand dollars they can squeeze out today. They don't care what it costs them in the long term.

I agree with you, Most likely we will not by season tickets next year, as there is nothing in it for us. And its a poor long term plan for building a season ticket base. But with that being said, I can also see why the are doing what they are doing

Reaction Score

This is 100% correct.

The risk here is not worth the reward. How many of those $80 deals are they going to sell? Off that number, how many of those people turn into season ticket holders?

Now think of how many season ticket holders are irked by this and will not renew. They are taking us for granted. It's foolish.

And the fact that a fan of Rutgers, who couldn't turn a profit at a who-were house on a Navy base, endorses this strategy tells you all you need to know about the stupidity of this all.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:
This is 100% correct.

The risk here is not worth the reward. How many of those $80 deals are they going to sell? Off that number, how many of those people turn into season ticket holders?

Now think of how many season ticket holders are irked by this and will not renew. They are taking us for granted. It's foolish.

And the fact that a fan of Rutgers, who couldn't turn a profit at a who-were house on a Navy base, endorses this strategy tells you all you need to know about the stupidity of this all.

Anytime you can market like a team that draws 350 for basketball games when they should be through the roof excited for joining the Big 10 you have to do it.

Reaction Score
This is 100% correct.

Don't get your panties all bunched up over this. If you want to buy the discounted tickets next year, go ahead and wait until Thanksgiving to get the best deal. Or you can buy a top of the rent package. I can't see what is wrong with trying to put some extra butts in the seats at this time of year. The impact on season tickets will be minimal. You still have to win games to increase season ticket sales.

Some of you have find a dark side in everything so you can start a lame thread.

Reaction Score
This is 100% correct.

are you really not going to get season tickets next year because they offered discount tickets to non-season tickets holders? Is that your Number 1 reason for not renewing? Or do you get season tickets because you like football, you like tailgating, you like having 6-7 days a year that is dedicated to friends, family, food, and football? If the bulk of UC season ticket holder base does not renew because of a ticket discount, a minimal one at that, then god help us all

Reaction Score
Anytime you can market like a team that draws 350 for basketball games when they should be through the roof excited for joining the Big 10 you have to do it.
I think RU has offered three dollar tickets and free parking for their last two basketball games and have drawn less than 1000 fans to both games combined. Chances are if RU is doing it, you shouldn't. Of course they will tell you, were B1G and you're not, but even a blind squirrel.

Reaction Score
Don't get your panties all bunched up over this. If you want to buy the discounted tickets next year, go ahead and wait until Thanksgiving to get the best deal. Or you can buy a top of the rent package. I can't see what is wrong with trying to put some extra butts in the seats at this time of year. The impact on season tickets will be minimal. You still have to win games to increase season ticket sales.

Some of you have find a dark side in everything so you can start a lame thread.
There is no denying UConn takes their season ticket holders for granted. They effed up my seat order and despite repeated phone calls have never done right by us. You'd think they'd call and comp us a few seats. Imthisclose to saying fugg it, I'll stay home.

Reaction Score
are you really not going to get season tickets next year because they offered discount tickets to non-season tickets holders? Is that your Number 1 reason for not renewing? Or do you get season tickets because you like football, you like tailgating, you like having 6-7 days a year that is dedicated to friends, family, food, and football? If the bulk of UC season ticket holder base does not renew because of a ticket discount, a minimal one at that, then god help us all

I'll probably renew anyway. It's not me or anyone on here I'm necessarily worried about. There are thousands of season ticket holders that don't post on the BY believe it or not. Do I think there's a percentage of them who won't renew because they can get discounted tickets? Yes I absolutely do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
TheJerk said:

I doubt Jimmy is going to stop buying. I'm not.

I have had this conversation with multiple basketball season ticket holders and it's noticed and has an impact.

I'm not annoyed by the practice because I spent more. I'm annoyed by the impact it has on the programs long term when they try to squeeze every cent out of today with no concern for the future.

Reaction Score

Your athletic department is probably looking 5 steps ahead and the fans cannot comprehend. I bet the real reason is that UCONN is probably working on a long term series with RU in the future. If tons more people show up for the game then most of your other games then they have some facts they can spin... "rutgers was our second most attended game after michigan last year."

"julie herman, look there really is a rivalry.....both our departments can make money off of this".

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Coach Flood said:
Your athletic department is probably looking 5 steps ahead and the fans cannot comprehend. I bet the real reason is that UCONN is probably working on a long term series with RU in the future. If tons more people show up for the game than most of your others then they have some facts they can spin... "rutgers was our second most attended game after michigan last year."

"julie herman, look there really is a rivalry.....both our departments can make money off of this".

Yeah they must be working on some long term deals with Southern Connecticut State too.

Reaction Score
Your athletic department is probably looking 5 steps ahead and the fans cannot comprehend. I bet the real reason is that UCONN is probably working on a long term series with RU in the future. If tons more people show up for the game then most of your other games then they have some facts they can spin... "rutgers was our second most attended game after michigan last year."

I'd give you a shovel, but clearly you already found one.

Reaction Score
You guys sound like our fans when it comes to this stuff. Quit being cry babies and be happy your AD is trying to get more people in the seats!

Let me tell you a true story from the 2012 season. RU ran the same IDENTICAL promotion for Howard last year. $15 for a ticket, hot dog and a soda. I purchased 15 I think and brought tons of people with me that never attended a college football game. Out of the 15, maybe 10 have never attended Rutgers so they literally had no affiliation. They all had a great time at the tailgate and the game! Guess what? I am showing up with a group of 7 people this weekend (to UCONN) and two in that group HAVE ZERO AFFILIATION TO RUTGERS yet they are tagging along since they had a great time a the "free hot dog game". The UCONN tickets which I purchased were from RUs allotment so they are definitely making money off of that hot dog promotion.

Initially when the promotion came out it was an easy sell for random acquaintances. "Hey guys, want to join my crew for a game? It's only 15 bucks and you get free food inside!"

copy and paste:
Saturday, Sept. 8 Howard – Family Two-Pack includes two tickets, two hot dogs and two soft drinks ($30)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Coach Flood said:
You guys sound like our fans when it comes to this stuff. Quit being cry babies and be happy your AD is trying to get more people in the seats!

Let me tell you a true story from the 2012 season. RU ran the same IDENTICAL promotion for Howard last year. $15 for a ticket, hot dog and a soda. I purchased 15 I think and brought tons of people with me that never attended a college football game. Out of the 15, maybe 10 have never attended Rutgers so they literally had no affiliation. They all had a great time at the tailgate and the game! Guess what? I am showing up with a group of 7 people this weekend (to UCONN) and two in that group HAVE ZERO AFFILIATION TO RUTGERS yet they are tagging along since they had a great time a the "free hot dog game". The UCONN tickets which I purchased were from RUs allotment so they are definitely making money off of that hot dog promotion.

Initially when the promotion came out it was an easy sell for random acquaintances. "Hey guys, want to join my crew for a game? It's only 15 bucks and you get free food inside!"

copy and paste:
Saturday, Sept. 8 Howard – Family Two-Pack includes two tickets, two hot dogs and two soft drinks ($30)

2 basketball games. Total attendance 900. I think I'd look for lessons elsewhere.

The RU fans I know in real life are really good fans. Why are their message board warriors such idiots?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I wasn't joking.
3r31oy.jpg

Reaction Score
Don't forget, get in before kickoff and you can get $2 off 2 hot dogs and 2 drinks, too.

I suppose so, but the Athletic Department didn't bother to email me the coupon.

That's fine, but they can't even give me a reach-around?

Reaction Score

Airlines do it, hotels do it, events of all type and description do it. Despite the criticism of this practice, the travel/entertainment industry does this uniformly. I'm no expert, but if this is the industry practice there must be some logic to it.
I'm renewing next year. I'm not giving up my seats so I can sit in the rafters a get a couple free hot dogs. Jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom