Dear UConn Athletic Department | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dear UConn Athletic Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
pepband99 said:
Why can't you get through your thick head that this temporary pricing model (due to a crappy season, cold weather, etc), and the long-term ticketing strategy aren't all that connected?

EVERY sports franchise does this - ask Giant or Jet season ticket holders what they think of their PSL's when the teams are now selling tickets at a discount to avoid blackouts...

UConn is on the same curve that just about every college team is on now, as well - the $$$ is difficult to justify for many. Attendance is down everywhere.

If you think you can be successful having disconnected long term and short term strategies I can promise you I'm not the one with the thick skull.

Reaction Score
Here is a post by another RU fan here in different thread...as you can see, not everyone's attendance is dropping. RU has been discounting tickets for years now and you can see that attendance just keeps increasing over the years. Hell, look at that magical 2006 season, we are currently beating that by 8k fans with hot dogs and discounts!

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Stats/Football/Attendance/

YEAR Rutgers UCONN
2003 27,339 37,059
2004 No data No data
2005 33,184 40,000
2006 41,113 38,939
2007 43,663 38,205
2008 42,378 39, 331
2009 49,113 38,229
2010 46,195 38,248
2011 43,761 36,668
2012 49,188 34,672

Reaction Score
Moving season tickets is becoming more difficult everywhere. Most SEC teams have demand fall over the last three years and have had discussions at conference meetings about what to do about it. As an example, Auburn had Bama, GA, and LSU all at home this year but their season ticket demand was down. Why? Well, not many people expected the team to be competitive this year is one reason. Another is the cost has gotten out of hand when you consider that OC games are creampuffs no one wants to see. Look for the SEC to start putting pressure on teams to upgrade their OC schedules and schedule an additional conference game in order to provide a better value perception.

Our big problem going forward is not last minute promotions but that the value perception will take a major hit starting next year. Most fans will not care as much about the AAC schedule as they did the old BE schedule. Who is going to generate buzz Temple Cincy, USF? WM must come up with some more compelling OOC games in order to just keep the current base.

Reaction Score
You guys need to get your resumes to the athletic department.

I'm sure they've just randomly priced season tickets without any regard for any external influences.

They need you guys.
I just wonder how we've been able to succeed without them.

Reaction Score
I just wonder how we've been able to succeed without them.

if you think the ticket trends have been a success, then well, I don't know what to say to you.

Reaction Score
It's simple marketing. Ticket sales are probably in the toilet for this season due to on field performance....so instead of getting zero dollars they sell them for 20 a piece...it's much better than zero. It's good for your school regardless of how much you paid for season tix. Rutgers does this all the time and season ticket holders always complain as well.
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/all-right-enough-get-delaney-on-the-phone.48228/page-2#post-767697 What's the latest marketing scheme for hoops games?

Reaction Score
You guys sound like our fans when it comes to this stuff. Quit being cry babies and be happy your AD is trying to get more people in the seats!

Let me tell you a true story from the 2012 season. RU ran the same IDENTICAL promotion for Howard last year. $15 for a ticket, hot dog and a soda. I purchased 15 I think and brought tons of people with me that never attended a college football game. Out of the 15, maybe 10 have never attended Rutgers so they literally had no affiliation. They all had a great time at the tailgate and the game! Guess what? I am showing up with a group of 7 people this weekend (to UCONN) and two in that group HAVE ZERO AFFILIATION TO RUTGERS yet they are tagging along since they had a great time a the "free hot dog game". The UCONN tickets which I purchased were from RUs allotment so they are definitely making money off of that hot dog promotion.

Initially when the promotion came out it was an easy sell for random acquaintances. "Hey guys, want to join my crew for a game? It's only 15 bucks and you get free food inside!"

copy and paste:
Saturday, Sept. 8 Howard – Family Two-Pack includes two tickets, two hot dogs and two soft drinks ($30)
I want to like this comment but that damn red helmet with the R on it gets in the way.....

Reaction Score
BINGO.
not Bingo, and not right. The really, really, bottom line is: Uconn needs our support more than ever, now, and this is not the time to be looking to buy tickets on Stub Hub or Amazon, if you really care about the program. If you're a friend, then be a friend. Give what support you can to a friend in need. Otherwise, don't be a poser.

Reaction Score
not Bingo, and not right. The really, really, bottom line is: Uconn needs our support more than ever, now, and this is not the time to be looking to buy tickets on Stub Hub or Amazon, if you really care about the program. If you're a friend, then be a friend. Give what support you can to a friend in need. Otherwise, don't be a poser.

The hell are you talking about?

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Who can eat after tailgating? They can stuff their discount dog nonsense.
They are also on notice it is year 3 of the tix renewal next year. Hire a retread or a northeast only type recruiter and it's bye bye time

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I want to like this comment but that damn red helmet with the R on it gets in the way.....
Well, I took their marketing with a grain of salt… as they were working with September and ours is nearly December.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Maybe they should take marketing 201 next semester as it's idiotic.

Hey we sold a few hundred discounted tickets for Rutgers!

When next summer rolls around and people aren't looking to pay full price plus seat donations these morons will be scratching their heads.

This strategy is the opposite of selling season tickets. It conditions people to wait, decide if it's worth going to and then spend less.

You'd think the fact it hasn't worked in basketball would lead them to this obvious conclusion - but they don't care all they want is whatever few thousand dollars they can squeeze out today. They don't care what it costs them in the long term.

Yeah, I've got to admit to giving some SERIOUS thought to not renewing my tickets and just piecing together a season myself on my own. No need to throw down $375 with donation when I can buy singles to all games except the FCS opponents for $150 or less.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I've got to admit to giving some SERIOUS thought to not renewing my tickets and just piecing together a season myself on my own. No need to throw down $375 with donation when I can buy singles to all games except the FCS opponents for $150 or less.

the more I think about it too, it doesn't help matters that UConn schedules back to back home games this late in the season.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
John said:
the more I think about it too, it doesn't help matters that UConn schedules back to back home games this late in the season.

UConn doesn't set the conference schedule. So that isn't their fault.

I don't mind it because it's a competitive advantage against the southern teams.

Hopefully tomorrow is like today and it's ok to sit through.

Reaction Score
I couldn't even get through the first page. I knew I ignored this thread a reason.

Yup....next year I'm going to skip the first 10 games with the hopes of getting 4 free soda and 4 hot dogs. Really?

I figured out that the top of the rent seats for $20 were right for me since I have trouble staying seated anyways.

Give away 10K seats free for all I care. The more the merrier. The people that buy them just might be newbies and if we beat Rutgers they might become new fans.

Reaction Score
I couldn't even get through the first page. I knew I ignored this thread a reason.

Yup....next year I'm going to skip the first 10 games with the hopes of getting 4 free soda and 4 hot dogs. Really?

I figured out that the top of the rent seats for $20 were right for me since I have trouble staying seated anyways.

Give away 10K seats free for all I care. The more the merrier. The people that buy them just might be newbies and if we beat Rutgers they might become new fans.

I could give a rip about the food and drink - I do give a rip about the discounted tickets.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be paying a premium price for a non-premium product. The product on the field is not big-time. The conference is not big-time. I want the program to get thier hand out of my wallet and start appreciating the support I give to it.

The school is looking to maximize people in the seats. Period. As a season ticketholder, I applaud them for trying to bring people to the Rent. John, if they were 9& 1, would you complain?
If you buy something at a store and then the next month it is on sale, would you go back to the store and complain...quit being a cheap duck*. Their "hand is not in your wallet". You made a decision to support the program and school, my school....so enjoy and thank you. Did you like the Notre Dame game, RGIII at the rent, 5 in 5 nights at MSG, take the down years and enjoy the good years and quit complaining.

Reaction Score
Moving season tickets is becoming more difficult everywhere. Most SEC teams have demand fall over the last three years and have had discussions at conference meetings about what to do about it. As an example, Auburn had Bama, GA, and LSU all at home this year but their season ticket demand was down. Why? Well, not many people expected the team to be competitive this year is one reason. Another is the cost has gotten out of hand when you consider that OC games are creampuffs no one wants to see. Look for the SEC to start putting pressure on teams to upgrade their OC schedules and schedule an additional conference game in order to provide a better value perception.

Our big problem going forward is not last minute promotions but that the value perception will take a major hit starting next year. Most fans will not care as much about the AAC schedule as they did the old BE schedule. Who is going to generate buzz Temple Cincy, USF? WM must come up with some more compelling OOC games in order to just keep the current base.

Do not agree with you on value perception.

John, next year's OOC games include BYU, Boise State, Army at Yankee Stadium and up and coming Stoney Brook. If you are a fan of college football, will gladly welcome Houston, UCF, SMU ECU and Navy. Good riddance to schools that did not want to build up something great. You remind me of fans back in the early 80's who did not want to be in the BE and wanted to continue to play Yankee Conference schools.!!!Always complaining..until JC arrived, we began to win and then people (maybe...like you) were wearing their UCONN shirts etc.[/quote]

Reaction Score
Do not agree with you on value perception.

John, next year's OOC games include BYU, Boise State, Army at Yankee Stadium and up and coming Stoney Brook. If you are a fan of college football, will gladly welcome Houston, UCF, SMU ECU and Navy. Good riddance to schools that did not want to build up something great. You remind me of fans back in the early 80's who did not want to be in the BE and wanted to continue to play Yankee Conference schools.!!!Always complaining..until JC arrived, we began to win and then people (maybe...like you) were wearing their UCONN shirts etc.
[/quote]

I was there in the Perno days so spare me the lectures.

Reaction Score
The school is looking to maximize people in the seats. Period. As a season ticketholder, I applaud them for trying to bring people to the Rent. John, if they were 9& 1, would you complain?
If you buy something at a store and then the next month it is on sale, would you go back to the store and complain...quit being a cheap f* . Their "hand is not in your wallet". You made a decision to support the program and school, my school....so enjoy and thank you. Did you like the Notre Dame game, RGIII at the rent, 5 in 5 nights at MSG, take the down years and enjoy the good years and quit complaining.

it doesn't bother you that you pay $27 per seat for a game that they know is going to be a ghost town, and then go and firesale tickets at $5 per?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom