David Pindell | Page 5 | The Boneyard

David Pindell

Reaction Score
No, the guy who beat Baylor but got tossed for weed.

The answer might be Cody Endres, who looked good for a handful of games but got himself thrown out as a junior. That makes statements that we should ignore the possibilities of transfers at QB patently absurd.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The answer might be Cody Endres, who looked good for a handful of games but got himself thrown out as a junior. That makes statements that we should ignore the possibilities of transfers at QB patently absurd.
Right, him. He was pretty good.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
No, the guy who beat Baylor but got tossed for weed.

It was Cody Endres and he was thrown out for other things too but weed was one of them

Reaction Score
Right, him. He was pretty good.

I don't think he ever had a stretch of games where he stayed healthy and unsuspended any longer than Cochran's 4 game run at the end of the 13 season. the fact that he very well may have been our best "homegrown" QB since DO says it all about how dumb it would be not to be looking at transfers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I agree, bl. Doesn't matter where you get one as long as you get one somewhere. The big boys over recruit QB's, there should be no qualms picking up one who shakes out.

Reaction Score
Since Dan Orlovsky, name our best QB who didn't come in as a transfer (whether from JUCO or another NCAA school).

Transfers with plenty of eligibility are good if need be, I didn’t mention them. So, so JUCOs with two years to play are nice insurance but they can hinder development of our recruited freshmen. Lorenzen, Pindell and Whitmer were all decent players but only Pindell is an exciting talent. Lorenzen was incredibly limited (yes, he won games, we know) and Whitmer was nothing special. I’d rather give our young guys playing time next year over having a Whitmer or a Lorenzen and maybe even a Pindell. As I said, our success with JUCOs has been mixed. That’s probably generous.

We really need to start farming our own QBs and creating stability and leadership at the position. From a fan perspective, we’ve had little time to really enjoy or appreciate a good QB for long. Shirreffs was closest but again, not a JUCO. Even with him, Edsall tried to pull the plug before realizing what a gaffe that was.

My point is simply that we have some good QB prospects, let’s develop one for once. I don’t want to see Washington, Krajewski or some other kid playing for the Packers after riding pine here again anytime soon.

To answer your question:
1. Cochran
2. Endres
3. Boyle (we screwed the pooch there)
4. Lagow (again)
4. Possibly Nebrich (probably screwed that pooch too)

Plenty of good prospects have come through Storrs beginning as freshmen. Bad luck, bad judgment, bad coaching and bad decisions have killed us at QB. Let’s give the guys we have some on the job training and use the JUCO ranks for some big guys on D and some speed anywhere else on the field we can put it.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Lorenzen, Pindell and Whitmer were all decent players but only Pindell is an exciting talent. Lorenzen was incredibly limited (yes, he won games, we know) and Whitmer was nothing special. I’d rather give our young guys playing time next year over having a Whitmer or a Lorenzen and maybe even a Pindell.

Dude, Tyler Lorenzen played on Sundays and is a Super Bowl champion! Whitmer was a fearless leader who carried our team through some pretty dark years, and Pindell is the biggest factor in any success the team has this year. I would take another Lorenzen/Whitmer/Pindell any day!

Reaction Score
Dude, Tyler Lorenzen played on Sundays and is a Super Bowl champion! Whitmer was a fearless leader who carried our team through some pretty dark years, and Pindell is the biggest factor in any success the team has this year. I would take another Lorenzen/Whitmer/Pindell any day!
Lorenzen was a very good player for us. Great leader. He also played injured quite often.
Whitmer was a good kid and a poor football player.
Pindell is probably the most athletic/talented kid we have had at QB. He may have a chance to play DB at the next level. Seriously, with his wheels and quickness,it's possible. He still has room to go before he reaches his ceiling.

Reaction Score
Lorenzen was a good football player and could scramble. He was by no means a prototypical QB. It was just brutal to watch him throw. Whitmer was tough but not great. Granted, he was in a bad spot.

My point is not at all to bash these guys though, it is to develop talent we already have. Washington was an outstanding prospect and was well known throughout Florida as a very good player with the ability to run and throw at an elite level. Krajewski was equally or greater lauded in Georgia. By all means, if we can get a great QB, get him. However, my focus was to get help elsewhere from Juco and use these talented guys we have on the roster. A friend of mine who’s son is a JUCO receiver at Nova Southeastern looked at the program I brought home to Florida after the UCF game and said we were loaded at QB. He was very familiar with Washington and knew who Krajewski was. He was convinced Washington would be a great QB for us yet was surprised that we also managed to get Krajewski.

We will have a tough time recruiting freshmen QBs if we constantly bring in 20+ year old transfers to take over.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lorenzen was a good football player and could scramble. He was by no means a prototypical QB. It was just brutal to watch him throw. Whitmer was tough but not great. Granted, he was in a bad spot.

My point is not at all to bash these guys though, it is to develop talent we already have. Washington was an outstanding prospect and was well known throughout Florida as a very good player with the ability to run and throw at an elite level. Krajewski was equally or greater lauded in Georgia. By all means, if we can get a great QB, get him. However, my focus was to get help elsewhere from Juco and use these talented guys we have on the roster. A friend of mine who’s son is a JUCO receiver at Nova Southeastern looked at the program I brought home to Florida after the UCF game and said we were loaded at QB. He was very familiar with Washington and knew who Krajewski was. He was convinced Washington would be a great QB for us yet was surprised that we also managed to get Krajewski.

We will have a tough time recruiting freshmen QBs if we constantly bring in 20+ year old transfers to take over.

I assume you’ve watched when Washington has played against the 3rd string?

Reaction Score
I assume you’ve watched when Washington has played against the 3rd string?

I understand caring about how guys looked in high school before they get to college. It's all you have to go on. I can't fathom judging QBs who are already in college by what they did in high school. It would be like thinking Johnny Manzell was a really good NFL QB beause he was great in college.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I understand caring about how guys looked in high school before they get to college. It's all you have to go on. I can't fathom judging QBs who are already in college by what they did in high school. It would be like thinking Johnny Manzell was a really good NFL QB beause he was great in college.

Washington’s stock is so low they leave him home without any other quarterback who has ever played a competitive down. In the book of Edsall these chapters rarely end well.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Washington’s stock is so low they leave him home without any other quarterback who has ever played a competitive down. In the book of Edsall these chapters rarely end well.

That goes more to him not fullfilling what is expected from the coaching staff and nothing else. Some have way to much time on their hands.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That goes more to him not fullfilling what is expected from the coaching staff and nothing else. Some have way to much time on their hands.

Yeah they left him home for off the field stuff...
but we know how this story ends 95% of the time with Edsall.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score

I know that, but the head coach is the leader of the team at the college level and he is a backup. Quarterback is the leader of the team and being leader means you have to lead by example. He hasn't done that as of yet.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

Not sure about this - he seems to have committed to Washington as the backup QB. If he wanted to, he could have played Krajewski in blowout time instead of Washington for the first four game. McAfee hasn't sniffed the field - Bisack was the one who played last week for an emergency snap.

Looking forward to next year, it seems like it will be Washington's job to lose (which he might if he continues to play the way he has in garbage time).

Reaction Score
Not sure about this - he seems to have committed to Washington as the backup QB. If he wanted to, he could have played Krajewski in blowout time instead of Washington for the first four game. McAfee hasn't sniffed the field - Bisack was the one who played last week for an emergency snap.

Looking forward to next year, it seems like it will be Washington's job to lose (which he might if he continues to play the way he has in garbage time).
It should be interesting g to see how the QB2 situation plays out after tomorrow’s game. It looks like there won’t be too many opportunities for “garbage time” in the last four games. The only way another QB is going to get in is if Pindell gets hurt. Since Washington has gotten into four games maybe Edsall will give the other QB’s a shot. They can’t do any worse than he did.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It should be interesting g to see how the QB2 situation plays out after tomorrow’s game. It looks like there won’t be too many opportunities for “garbage time” in the last four games. The only way another QB is going to get in is if Pindell gets hurt. Since Washington has gotten into four games maybe Edsall will give the other QB’s a shot. They can’t do any worse than he did.

Yeah I’d hate to see them burn Washington’s redshirt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

rare is the player who gets out of edsall’s doghouse. Dixon after a full year and Deleston are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

Reaction Score
rare is the player who gets out of edsall’s doghouse. Dixon after a full year and Deleston are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.
Think Mensah was in it early this year?

Reaction Score

Well that makes sense. However, are you saying we should just give up on Washington already? If anything, we should have learned something by:

1. Not playing Cochran right away
2. Not playing Nebrich over JohnyMac
3. Not developing Boyle
4. Attempting to bench Shirreffs in favor of Pindell
5. Not keeping Lagow happy.
6. Playing others over Endres BEFORE Endres got in trouble for anything.

We’ve consistently argued about who should be playing and on a regular basis, history shows we play the wrong guy alarmingly often. By going and getting another mature JUCO, we tell the young guys that they aren’t going to cut it. That’s ok sometimes, but every time? It’s getting old.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Ok, since he’s a senior make Pindell an H-back the rest of the season, start Washington and/or Kerjewski at QB and prep for 2919. We aren’t getting to a bowl this season, what’s the point? Play for the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom