Dan Hurley says he won't coach into his 60s | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley says he won't coach into his 60s

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Calhoun is the most important figure in UConn men's basketball history. But I think Hurley is already the second most important. He has secured UConn's spot as an inter-generational national power (translation: blue blood). Calhoun is our Dean Smith, and Hurley can be our Roy Williams. Man, if you told me in March 2018 that Hurley would give us 15 years as head coach, multiple Final Fours, hopefully multiple championships.... Man.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I always wonder why??? Calhoun and even more so geno, showed you can build your own empire at the college level for the same pay. Shorter season and more security. The NIL may actually make it easier with the recruiting rules and you are always a celebrity on campus and in state. The nba much like many pro leagues have proven to be a created for College coaches and not havens. The few exceptions of Larry brown Pete Carroll maybe. The leagues are run by former-well coached - players.
Great insight. Thinking about guys like Kemba, Okafor etc. The scouts said players that come from Uconn were "NBA ready". What a great tribute.

Reaction Score
what makes hurley such a good college coach would make hurley the worst nba coach imaginable. never gonna happen.
Maybe it wouldn’t be the best fit but I think he would go for it.

Reaction Score
I could only see Dan Hurley leaving for a new challenge in the NBA but I highly doubt that'll happen. College coaches making the jump to the NBA do not have a great track record. Billy Donovan has been a pretty good coach but he played in the league albeit very briefly. Brad Stevens is a better GM than he was a coach, especially after he lost the locker room in Boston, but he's an anomaly. Other than Billy D and Brad Stevens, every other college coach has a losing record after jumping to the NBA.

Hurley’s style is not made for the NBA

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Living in the moment means that where you are is where you want to be. I hope that thought crosses Danny's mind every day. I hope he coaches as long as he wants to, at UConn. Lastly, I hope when he goes, it's on a white horse; with no Bob Knight or Boeheim style denouement.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
All this article is showing to me is that all Dan Hurley cares about is the present moment, and that's one of many reasons why I love him. Meditation and yoga helps with that (and orange drink).
The present may not be ALL he cares about, but he is showing a growing sense that it is of paramount importance and all we truly have. But functionally, I'm just quibbling atop overall admiration for his current growth path, your well-expressed recognition of it.
I heard a comment once that rings true as I get older….

Old is always 15 years older than you are now
This resonates in a new recent light.

Part of completing my relocation from CT to KY, is 'moving into' being 70, which includes elements of resetting, reimagining, and reconfiguring my life.

Ostensibly, I've jumped off from a prior lifetime as a Northeasterner in order to be of service and witness the miracle of grandparenting since 5 weeks before baby's birth...while navigating the puzzle of aging.

Among other things, I've updated Pete Townsend's 1965 lyric to, "Hope I die before I get old old." I'm operating with a framework that my systems will continue to rack up both predictable & unpredictable indicators of advanced mileage in years to come. That subject was part of my first visit last Friday with my new primary care physician.

My previous 'reset' came at 56, when accepted that it was harder & harder to be like I was at 42. I set about trying to be 56 until I was 70, which similarly got harder & harder. My scaled back aim is to work with being 70 until 77. Past that, IDK, and I'm okay with that today.

For certain, I'll never again be as young as I am today.
I've heard it put this way: "You're never too old, but you're always too young to know it."

Age is nothing. Health is everything. I can barely list the activities I didn't get into until after age 60.

Even now, at 86, I hang around college basketball forums.
Thanks for giving me this reminder to incorporate into my approaching & acting on today's continued medical insurance/body care records-keeping, planning, and life design project.

Last week's view here of what others are doing in retirement was similarly helpful.

It's been a great season to be a UConn Husky basketball fan!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of coaches say this type of thing... and a lot of coaches continue coaching well into their 60s. Call me in a decade.
I think Hurley is being honest and sincere with his answer now at this point in time. However, people's minds change all the time and he might not feel the same way when he turns 60. After UConn beat Duke in 1999, Coach K spoke to Calhoun and said "you are going to want more championships after this" and it turns out he was correct as Calhoun quoted him.

Reaction Score
The present may not be ALL he cares about, but he is showing a growing sense that it is of paramount importance and all we truly have. But functionally, I'm just quibbling atop overall admiration for his current growth path, your well-expressed recognition of it.

This resonates in a new recent light.

Part of completing my relocation from CT to KY, is 'moving into' being 70, which includes elements of resetting, reimagining, and reconfiguring my life.

Ostensibly, I've jumped off from a prior lifetime as a Northeasterner in order to be of service and witness the miracle of grandparenting since 5 weeks before baby's birth...while navigating the puzzle of aging.

Among other things, I've updated Pete Townsend's 1965 lyric to, "Hope I die before I get old old." I'm operating with a framework that my systems will continue to rack up both predictable & unpredictable indicators of advanced mileage in years to come. That subject was part of my first visit last Friday with my new primary care physician.

My previous 'reset' came at 56, when accepted that it was harder & harder to be like I was at 42. I set about trying to be 56 until I was 70, which similarly got harder & harder. My scaled back aim is to work with being 70 until 77. Past that, IDK, and I'm okay with that today.

For certain, I'll never again be as young as I am today.

Thanks for giving me this reminder to incorporate into my approaching & acting on today's continued medical insurance/body care records-keeping, planning, and life design project.

Last week's view here of what others are doing in retirement was similarly helpful.

It's been a great season to be a UConn Husky basketball fan!
Don't sell yourself short...

Great story about a 93 yr old rowing champion...that only started exercising at 70

Morgan to have high muscle mass (105 lbs; 80.6% of total body mass) and a body fat percentage of 15.4% – values that would fall within a healthy range for a man half his age. Equally impressive were his metrics of cardiopulmonary function and physical performance. Morgan’s forced vital capacity, a measure of lung function, was reported to be 3.36 L, a value more typical of men in their 40s or 50s. In a 2,000-meter time trial on a rowing ergometer, the nonagenarian demonstrated exceptional cardiovascular adaptation to exercise, with his heart rate rapidly rising to a peak of 153 beats/min and oxygen uptake kinetics (a measure of time required to adapt to a changing metabolic load) approximating those of a healthy man in his 30s or 40s. These results were all the more remarkable given that Morgan had only started exercising in his 70s – building up his fitness, as he says, “from nowhere.”

Reaction Score
I could only see Dan Hurley leaving for a new challenge in the NBA but I highly doubt that'll happen. College coaches making the jump to the NBA do not have a great track record. Billy Donovan has been a pretty good coach but he played in the league albeit very briefly. Brad Stevens is a better GM than he was a coach, especially after he lost the locker room in Boston, but he's an anomaly. Other than Billy D and Brad Stevens, every other college coach has a losing record after jumping to the NBA.

I don't see that one bit. His strengths are not needed at that level and no one would put up with his practice and temperament. His family is high school and college and that's that. I'd be shocked.

Reaction Score
"Hassan Diarra came to UConn after two years at Virginia Tech......"

Mike, you may want to check on that. :)
Nobody does their homework anymore. Dumb commentators make uninformed comments every game.

Reaction Score
Nobody does their homework anymore. Dumb commentators make uninformed comments every game.
Actually when I went back and looked at what Anthony did I saw the below and realized he just used Virginia Tech twice. So I'll give him a pass. Although I will say that it seems that nobody ever proofreads the articles that are on-line any more. Articles are riddled with mistakes. It's kind of sad. Didn't all these writers go to college and majored in journalism or English?

UConn has augmented its core with transfers, as any program must, and timelines and experiences do differ. Joey Calcaterra came to UConn last season after four years at San Diego and exhausted his eligibility. Hassan Diarra came to UConn after two years at Virginia Tech and returned for a second year with the Huskies this season. Nahiem Alleyne came to UConn after three years at Virginia Tech and has since transferred to St. John’s.

Reaction Score
what makes hurley such a good college coach would make hurley the worst nba coach imaginable. never gonna happen.
I agree with this and I bet Hurley does too. He cares way too much about culture to go to the NBA and have to answer to a front office and diva players. It would drive him insane

Reaction Score
I remember Hurley saying he wanted to coach for 10 years at Uconn. Although, I hope he keeps the caliber of staff and players he has and coaches for 40 more.

Reaction Score
I can see him going to the NBA if college/NCAA hoops gets even more screwed up
I don't think he'll go to another college program unless the AD office and conference affiliation changes significantly. Or if LIV Golf buys a college and hands him $100M

Reaction Score

That is because the skills of the most successful college coaches that motivate young people do not work to motivate professionals who will get paid whether or not the team wins.

Reaction Score
We’ll see winning is a drug it’s not that easy to walk away from the game especially when you are bi winning. He’s on a drug and it’s called Danny Hurley.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Old is always 15 years older than you are now
I realized I was old when I hit 78. My outlook on life changed, my ambition disappeared, and I started to accept the concept of old age.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My favorite quote from that article...
“I'm going to get better as I go here at UConn as a coach. A lot of improvements, I think, that we're making as a staff, game to game and year to year, and I think we're going to keep getting better because we're obsessed here.”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom