Dan Hurley says he won't coach into his 60s | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley says he won't coach into his 60s

Reaction Score
Good article from Mike Anthony. Everyone should read it.

Will Hurley still be coaching when he’s 65, like many in his profession?

“No chance,” he said sharply, adamantly. “Zero. No way. Not a chance in hell.”

“If you can’t do this thing, I would never be someone who just hung around after he lost his fastball, where he can’t put everything he’s got into the job, isn’t as sharp,” Hurley said. “Forget legacy, too. I have this thing about me: This is kids’ lives. A head college coach is probably going to have the greatest impact on their lives, besides the parents. When they’re at an age where they can really start to understand and put their life together, who’s going to drive that home?’

Alternate access:

Dan Hurley's 'foot on the gas' approach built UConn basketball. It's also why he won't coach into his 60s

Reaction Score
I could see him walking away if he lost his competitive fire, but I don't see him losing that in his 60s. Jim Calhoun still had it late in his career. I think Hurley is 51, so I'll gladly take 9 more years of this, especially if UConn stays at this level. Maybe if the NBA comes calling and he wants a new challenge. I just don't see any scenario of Hurley walking away in his 60s and going off into the sunset.

Reaction Score
I strongly doubt a guy as motivated and proud as Hurley is going to arrive at age 60 and think that he's lost something off his fastball and can't give the job and the kids what they deserve.

That said, if he really is only looking to coach another 10-15 years, I think we can put to bed any concern about him leaving for another job.

Reaction Score
If he’s not the best, I don’t know who is. It’s one thing to have the iq and X’s and O’s, but to build such a strong culture is completely different. I don’t know if Hurley in his current form would’ve been successful in the mid 90’s, but with today’s playing field leveled through NIL and the Portal, HE has become the recruiting advantage. Not money and ‘brotherhood’.

Reaction Score
I strongly doubt a guy as motivated and proud as Hurley is going to arrive at age 60 and think that he's lost something off his fastball and can't give the job and the kids what they deserve.
I thought the same. People always think they're going to be different at a certain age and then when they get there they say they feel the same as they did 20 years ago. Remember Bill Belichick saying he would never want to be Marv Levy and still coaching in his 70s? Then he got to 70 and realized he made a mistake saying that because he still wanted to coach and didn't feel any differently.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Good article from Mike Anthony. Everyone should read it.

Will Hurley still be coaching when he’s 65, like many in his profession?

“No chance,” he said sharply, adamantly. “Zero. No way. Not a chance in hell.”

“If you can’t do this thing, I would never be someone who just hung around
As much as opposing fan bases despise Hurley, the more we (I think I can speak for others here) understand how great of a guy he is. Those people will never get it, because they are fixated on the superficial side of things.

Often times coaches give these sound bites as lip service, to sound humble or altruistic, or just to hear themselves talk. Not Hurley. I believe him whole heartedly, and in a world seemingly driven by AI, social, fakeness, scammers everywhere, etc. Hurley is as real as it gets. Astonishing that the recruits aren't lining up for him, but probably says more about them than him.

Reaction Score
I could only see Dan Hurley leaving for a new challenge in the NBA but I highly doubt that'll happen. College coaches making the jump to the NBA do not have a great track record. Billy Donovan has been a pretty good coach but he played in the league albeit very briefly. Brad Stevens is a better GM than he was a coach, especially after he lost the locker room in Boston, but he's an anomaly. Other than Billy D and Brad Stevens, every other college coach has a losing record after jumping to the NBA.

Reaction Score
I thought the same. People always think they're going to be different at a certain age and then when they get there they say they feel the same as they did 20 years ago. Remember Bill Belichick saying he would never want to be Marv Levy and still coaching in his 70s? Then he got to 70 and realized he made a mistake saying that because he still wanted to coach and didn't feel any differently.
I heard a comment once that rings true as I get older….

Old is always 15 years older than you are now

He may be done at 60…but when he’s that age he’s not going to think he’s old.

Either way, 10 more years of this would be wonderful

Reaction Score
I've heard it put this way: "You're never too old, but you're always too young to know it."

Age is nothing. Health is everything. I can barely list the activities I didn't get into until after age 60.

Even now, at 86, I hang around college basketball forums.

Reaction Score
I could only see Dan Hurley leaving for a new challenge in the NBA but I highly doubt that'll happen. College coaches making the jump to the NBA do not have a great track record. Billy Donovan has been a pretty good coach but he played in the league albeit very briefly. Brad Stevens is a better GM than he was a coach, especially after he lost the locker room in Boston, but he's an anomaly. Other than Billy D and Brad Stevens, every other college coach has a losing record after jumping to the NBA.

I always wonder why??? Calhoun and even more so geno, showed you can build your own empire at the college level for the same pay. Shorter season and more security. The NIL may actually make it easier with the recruiting rules and you are always a celebrity on campus and in state. The nba much like many pro leagues have proven to be a created for College coaches and not havens. The few exceptions of Larry brown Pete Carroll maybe. The leagues are run by former-well coached - players.

Reaction Score
All this article is showing to me is that all Dan Hurley cares about is the present moment, and that's one of many reasons why I love him. Meditation and yoga helps with that (and orange drink).

I'm not sure all the meditation and yoga in the world would help Dan Hurley's blood pressure.

Reaction Score
"Never" is a long, long time. And sometimes "never" never comes.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley may wrestle with when to retire but all the comments he’s made and the things he talks about with culture and family and teaching make me believe he won’t ever seriously consider the NBA. I think the league would drive him crazy with someone else picking his team for him and many people not being as obsessed with the game as he chooses to surround himself with now….i think he’d be very unhappy

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I heard a comment once that rings true as I get older….

Old is always 15 years older than you are now

He may be done at 60…but when he’s that age he’s not going to think he’s old.

Either way, 10 more years of this would be wonderful
If you're young at heart only the rest of your body gets old (well, your memory does
slow down a tad) ;)

Reaction Score
Good. I hope he retires early.... or at a normal age. Give someone else a chance. Enjoy life. Follow Jay Wright's lead
I hope so too. I think he just might. Hard to walk away from the shining lights. Can understand why some of these guys hang on until they are 80.

Reaction Score

what makes hurley such a good college coach would make hurley the worst nba coach imaginable. never gonna happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom