Courant article on zach transferring to putnam | The Boneyard

Courant article on zach transferring to putnam

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
"He and his guardian were looking for a prep school situation, and when he verbally committed to UConn, this made sense," Espinosa said. "He's doing great academically, so there should be no problem. He's on pace. He's a very nice kid, eager to pursue his career. He's very mature, and he made this decision – he has lived his whole life in Miami – but he decided that this would be the best situation for him."

Reaction Score
Just curious, is it typical for a highly rated bball recruit to transfer from three different schools in such a short time?

Reaction Score
It'll be great to have him closer to Storrs and hopefully playing with a couple of future UConn teammates at PSA. I think the comments about a potential reclass are interesting news. As of now, the front court next year has Brimah (Sr.), Facey (Sr.), Enoch (So.), Larrier (RSo.), Diarra (Fr.), and Durham (Fr.). It's a lot of bodies but really only Brimah as a true center with Enoch also capable of minutes there. Aside from the handful of truly elite freshmen, I basically assume you can't count on Freshmen big men but this would allow him to take his lumps in a pretty low-pressure situation and then come in to 2017 with a year of experience, at which point you have a team with a junior Adams, sophomore Gilbert, junior Larrier, junior Enoch, and sophomore Brown along with a bunch of other very talented players with at least a year of experience. Holy crap...

Reaction Score
Just curious, is it typical for a highly rated bball recruit to transfer from three different schools in such a short time?
I saw this line in the article: "He will obviously face better competition, and often older players, at prep school."

Not sure if that's the motivation/reason or not.

Reaction Score
Where are people finding the news about a potential reclass? I can't find anything that even mentions it.
I just saw it on twitter but I think it was being posted by posters here, so I wouldn't say I'm necessarily getting concrete sources, but what I read said he is "eligible to reclassify" not that he will

Reaction Score
I thought Putnam Science closed?
It did, momentarily.

On March 28, Putnam Science Academy announced it was closing its doors in May for two years to find new investment and fix its infrastructure. The successful post-graduate basketball program that Espinosa had created at the school was left dangling. On the same day, Espinosa received a call from Woodstock Academy headmaster Chris Sandford offering the Academy as a possible place for the basketball program. The Woodstock Board of Trustees accepted the proposal in April and the PSA program had a new home. But, according to Espinosa, in the middle of May, employees of Putnam Science Academy, including himself, were offered their jobs back as a new ownership group, backed by Chinese investors, had been found. “They bought the name and bringing the basketball program back was one of the top priorities,” Espinosa said.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/article/20150629/SPORTS/150629455/2000/NEWS

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't know much outside of East Coast schools, but PSA must have one of the most talented rosters in the nation right?
One would think, I can't imagine a better one. That being said, there probably is.

Reaction Score
It did, momentarily.

On March 28, Putnam Science Academy announced it was closing its doors in May for two years to find new investment and fix its infrastructure. The successful post-graduate basketball program that Espinosa had created at the school was left dangling. On the same day, Espinosa received a call from Woodstock Academy headmaster Chris Sandford offering the Academy as a possible place for the basketball program. The Woodstock Board of Trustees accepted the proposal in April and the PSA program had a new home. But, according to Espinosa, in the middle of May, employees of Putnam Science Academy, including himself, were offered their jobs back as a new ownership group, backed by Chinese investors, had been found. “They bought the name and bringing the basketball program back was one of the top priorities,” Espinosa said.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/article/20150629/SPORTS/150629455/2000/NEWS
Ah thanks.

Reaction Score
I don't know much outside of East Coast schools, but PSA must have one of the most talented rosters in the nation right?
Oak Hill and Montverde are on a completely different level. New England schools like Brewster Academy, St. Thomas Moore, and Vermont Academy are all more talented.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It'll be great to have him closer to Storrs and hopefully playing with a couple of future UConn teammates at PSA. I think the comments about a potential reclass are interesting news. As of now, the front court next year has Brimah (Sr.), Facey (Sr.), Enoch (So.), Larrier (RSo.), Diarra (Fr.), and Durham (Fr.). It's a lot of bodies but really only Brimah as a true center with Enoch also capable of minutes there. Aside from the handful of truly elite freshmen, I basically assume you can't count on Freshmen big men but this would allow him to take his lumps in a pretty low-pressure situation and then come in to 2017 with a year of experience, at which point you have a team with a junior Adams, sophomore Gilbert, junior Larrier, junior Enoch, and sophomore Brown along with a bunch of other very talented players with at least a year of experience. Holy crap...
What if brown comes in and just learns and practices every day? I think he'll learn more during practice and any time he gets on the floor than staying at Putnam. But maybe he will develop more at Putnam who knows. At least at uconn he can be in the weight room and have a nice diet plan to get him in shape

Reaction Score
To go from regular HS competition where you tower over everyone, to sitting out for a year without playing an actual game, to playing high major ball is definitely not ideal. I don't think he'll reclassify unless he is going to see some action at a minimum.

We'll see how Brimah closes out the year and how Durham classifies.

Reaction Score
To go from regular HS competition where you tower over everyone, to sitting out for a year without playing an actual game, to playing high major ball is definitely not ideal. I don't think he'll reclassify unless he is going to see some action at a minimum.

We'll see how Brimah closes out the year and how Durham classifies.

Good news is many options in the future. But I agree with this, all depends. He needs to play the game in order to continue to learn the natural aspects of the game and fundamentals too. Amida could have used a prep year or red shirt quite honestly he hasn't picked up the details of the game as of yet.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Serious question. What would Chinese investors want to do with a private school in CT? It can't be that lucrative of a business deal, or is it one of those Chinese "buy as much American property and equity as possible" philosophies we are seeing here?

Reaction Score
How many more scholarships do we have for next year? We couldn't have him and Hamidou (if he commits) both reclassify to 2016 could we?
Only 1 available for next year with the new guys coming in and the guys returning.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Only 1 available for next year with the new guys coming in and the guys returning.
say that either purvis or hamilton leaves ( i honestly dont that happening or think they should but it happens), could diallo reclassify after they declare and can't come back?

Reaction Score
Serious question. What would Chinese investors want to do with a private school in CT? It can't be that lucrative of a business deal, or is it one of those Chinese "buy as much American property and equity as possible" philosophies we are seeing here?
I had the same question when that report first came out. Months later, I learned via one of their Twitter accounts, a local doctor (who happens to be Asian) spearheaded the whole reopening for simply philanthropic purposes. It was a while ago so I don't remember all the details.

Reaction Score
say that either purvis or hamilton leaves ( i honestly dont that happening or think they should but it happens), could diallo reclassify after they declare and can't come back?
Yeah, players can reclassify as late as August. Drummond did it the day before the fall semester started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom