Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think he's really arguing any of those points. If we split Football and other sports, it gives the impression that we believe there are no viable routes to the P5. I agree with that.

I also think that the Big East doesn't pick up the phone unless they believe the same thing . . .

It's not quite that. I'd look at more like the remaining slots are:
ACC adds ND all in. Needs #16,
B1G expands and can't get UT or similar schools, plus UConn is AAU by then.

Are our odds at landing either of those possible slots harmed by (a) playing in a roughly equivalent football league or comparable Indy schedule (b) playing in a stronger basketball league (much stronger if UConn is added), maybe winning another NC and (c) earning more money for our sports content plus more in gate receipts from a better home schedule?

That being said, I still think this was meant to be a shot across the bow of ESPN: "Get us in the B12 or lose our content".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big East is a better basketball conference today but big picture, my personal preference is to stay away. It is now a purely catholic conference and it has chosen that route. Add UConn and Temple to the A-10 and the A-10 just made a huge jump. Purely my opinion and hypothetical anyway since UConn has chosen its path, for better or worse.

Until the Catholic Church issues some new set of rules that only governs basketball, I will continue to fail to see the logic in posts like these.

The Atlantic 10 is a lovely mid-major conference, but it is a mid-major conference - wanting to join up with that group because you're salty that the Big East schools left for a better deal is a little spiteful. Everyone left for a better deal - do you not want to go to the ACC because Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Louisville and Boston College left for a better deal?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the networks are resigned to the B12 adding 4, they may individually or collectively reshuffle the entire FBS deck.

The thinking would be we have this amount of money for all CFB, here is how we want to dish it out SEC, B1G, P12, ACC, B12. We want these 80 (or other number), we want these conferences. Otherwise we are going to start cutting deals with individual schools.

They wouldn't need to announce it, they could just do it and in 2024, Texas, OU, and every other blue chip brand starts pushing to control their own media rights and my conferences only about schedules.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
1) That was an insanely fast reply. I caught myself commenting on the thread within seconds but it was too late.
2) If our FB program were better than most of the schools, then we could say it's ugly company. Our market metrics are what they are, but at the end of the day, especially if the B12 is looking towards new media eyeballs, we need to have people watching/streaming football.
3) I have 0 issue with the B12 taking public auditions. There's no dirty laundry leaks that would be ugly, just sources reporting they're keeping an open mind and interviewing everybody. Let the best school win and we think that's us.
Thanks for moving this discussion to the proper thread.

1) right place, right time... Winning winners win. :)
2) I understand you are limiting to football only, but on the whole, athletics wise - it's disgusting to be thrown in to such a gulag with our level of success. Is that elitist? Sure. But we've earned our stripes, much more so than the rest of this lot.
2a) Ratings/metrics are not just UConn in a vacuum, which are fine if not remarkable. The real value is increasing the B12 in its entirety and generating interest via the most eyeballs, which our region has. Someone in Vernon watching a Texas game in that scenario is just as valuable.
3) B12 is giving the perception of being open when the reality is different. They have their consultant studies and already know the most valuable schools. It's giving schools false hope, and creating a gladiator like spectacle. I'm not impressed with how they have handled things. (That said, love you B12, pick us!)

Reaction Score
Until the Catholic Church issues some new set of rules that only governs basketball, I will continue to fail to see the logic in posts like these.

The Atlantic 10 is a lovely mid-major conference, but it is a mid-major conference - wanting to join up with that group because you're salty that the Big East schools left for a better deal is a little spiteful. Everyone left for a better deal - do you not want to go to the ACC because Syracuse, Pitt, Miami, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, Louisville and Boston College left for a better deal?
Bottom line, no, I don't want to be in the A-10 but the Big East is not an option. I think that conference has a much more defined mission than most. It's not about being Catholic but it is about basketball and not being lured away by football. But then again, maybe they want to be sure they will always be able to pray before their games no matter where they play.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

2) I understand you are limiting to football only, but on the whole, athletics wise - it's disgusting to be thrown in to such a gulag with our level of success. Is that elitist? Sure. But we've earned our stripes, much more so than the rest of this lot.
2a) Ratings/metrics are not just UConn in a vacuum, which are fine if not remarkable. The real value is increasing the B12 in its entirety and generating interest via the most eyeballs, which our region has. Someone in Vernon watching a Texas game in that scenario is just as valuable.
3) B12 is giving the perception of being open when the reality is different. They have their consultant studies and already know the most valuable schools. It's giving schools false hope, and creating a gladiator like spectacle. I'm not impressed with how they have handled things. (That said, love you B12, pick us!)
Say more towns I know!

Reaction Score
Thanks for educating us UConn fans on the obvious there genius! That was pretty evident when they bailed after leeching off of schools like UConn, Cincy, Cuse, Pitt and even WVU for years. Yes even your precious PC was a leech school!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

You know darned well that some of the knobs actually do feel that way about the ACC too. I'm not sure what they lack more, maturity or common sense.

Reaction Score
I know there are departure fee reasons that UConn has stayed in the AAC, but that decision has also put us in the position of appearing interchangeable with a community college like Houston.

Look ...

This Football season is a Perfect EXAMPLE. We get our standard Yankee Conference Maine; Syracuse, Virginia, BC, nice trip to Navy, Cincinnati, Temple is in our zone (and far better than a decade ago), a resurgent UCF at home, traditional Fl away game at USF, back at Houston for a game against a solid power type school.

The only drag is travel to East Carolina & the LAST senior game late November against dregs Tulane.

Look at that: For where UConn came from, that is a damn good year. Better than most all the FBS years, frankly. How could we possibly replicate that outside the AAC? I just don't buy the whining. As Calhoun correctly stated, we loved playing that HOOP schedule where we got excited every night two or three times a week. That, quite frankly, is not available. Certainly NOT in the reconstituted Big East.

Reaction Score
UConn made more $$ for BE schools for a longer period of time the BE was together than any school but Syracuse! Your precious PC absolutely sucked for pretty much the entire time in the BE! JC was the one who changed the game! And don't even go there about NC's you ! You are probably the most annoying troll that comes on this board! Spend your time on the hoops or hockey board..otherwise stay out of the discussions as they certainly don't pertain tonPC athletics you tool!

Reaction Score

2a only applies if the B12 creates a network along traditional DMA lines. If it's a new media streaming network only, regional distinction doesn't really matter, it's just pure eye-balls and who can bring more of them to actually watch the games (or pay for the service). DMAs are only a value method when networks are added to cable packages.

Reaction Score
Thanks for educating us UConn fans on the obvious there genius! That was pretty evident when they bailed after leeching off of schools like UConn, Cincy, Cuse, Pitt and even WVU for years. Yes even your precious PC was a leech school!
Perhaps it is you who needs the education.
Uconn was lucky to be in the league from the beginning.
Syracuse Georgetown and St Johns who made the league while Uconn slept
Cincy Pitt and WVU 3 of the biggest leeches on the Big East. only supplanted by Uconn who without the votes from some of the Catholic schools would be looking forward to open up this Football season in Durham NH.
Not denying the greatness that Uconn has acheived but come on now. I do agree that PC added little to the league other than a past history of Ernie D and Larry Kevertis.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Cincy Pitt and WVU 3 of the biggest leeches on the Big East. only supplanted by Uconn who without the votes from some of the Catholic schools would be looking forward to open up this Football season in Durham NH.
Not denying the greatness that Uconn has acheived but come on now. I do agree that PC added little to the league other than a past history of Ernie D and Larry Kevertis.

This is gonna go over well.

Reaction Score

This is simply NOT BIG EAST History week.

Yes ... we were lucky. I also think Syracuse, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova were lucky. This league gave all of the EASTERN schools something they hadn't had ... a platform to leap off into greater space. ESPN? Sure. All lucky.

Providence? Yup. You underachieved. You were along for the ride; and, except for small snippets in certain seasons, you never played that often amongst the BE Conference giants. Quite frankly.

Reaction Score

Hey jupitergolf, I give you credit for coming on this board where everyone involved is a HOF whack-a-mole player. No question that UConn was considered chaff when added to the BE in 1979. Oh, but what a "rocket to the top" story it became. In all facets and for myriad reasons that I have posted about before, no single school in the old BE has grown, athletically and academically, like UConn has. UConn went from an afterthought status in 1979 to the most successful program in short order. Academics at UConn, once snickered at by other BE schools, has surpassed most all of them in quality and reputation. Affordability is a huge plus now also. UConn has become the first choice for many students. Our athletic programs have prospered and, but for the dreadful Pasqualoni hire, are led by outstanding coaches. Of the three schools you mentioned specifically only Georgetown maintains an academic advantage over UConn. Syracuse and St. John's, while decent schools, are not up to the caliber of UConn in 2016. So would we have grown without the BE? I don't know, but I agree the old YC would not have been the answer. It may have been that our greatness would have evolved in another setting, but that is like wondering what would have happened if the Archduke had the flu on that fateful day in Sarajevo.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hey jupitergolf, I give you credit for coming on this board where everyone involved is a HOF whack-a-mole player. No question that UConn was considered chaff when added to the BE in 1979. Oh, but what a "rocket to the top" story it became. In all facets and for myriad reasons that I have posted about before, no single school in the old BE has grown, athletically and academically, like UConn has. UConn went from an afterthought status in 1979 to the most successful program in short order. Academics at UConn, once snickered at by other BE schools, has surpassed most all of them in quality and reputation. Affordability is a huge plus now also. UConn has become the first choice for many students. Our athletic programs have prospered and, but for the dreadful Pasqualoni hire, are led by outstanding coaches. Of the three schools you mentioned specifically only Georgetown maintains an academic advantage over UConn. Syracuse and St. John's, while decent schools, are not up to the caliber of UConn in 2016. So would we have grown without the BE? I don't know, but I agree the old YC would not have been the answer. It may have been that our greatness would have evolved in another setting, but that is like wondering what would have happened if the Archduke had the flu on that fateful day in Sarajevo.
Seagoat, you are a little off.

Ask yourself (or Jupiter perhaps) how long it took for PC to finish ahead of UConn in the BE.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who earned the natties in the old Big East?
Name the top 5 in BET championships?
Name the top 5 in conference regular season championships.
Name the teams that brought the most fans to the BET?

Let me know, if you see providence in those categories.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom