Coaching | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He's not getting fired tomorrow or before the end of this year, so the buyout isn't 5 million. It drops to 3.4 million after Jan 1 2017.

As far as paying for it, we've sure got the extra seats right now, so bring in a coach who can put an exciting offense on the field and you'll get the fanbase back eventually. This isn't rocket science. Plenty of schools at all levels can figure out how to put an exciting offense on the field.

If Benedict/Herbst think he should be fired on Nov. 27, do you really think they're going to wait 36 days and let Diaco twist in the wind?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Why not save $3.4 million and have the AD force him to change the offense by bringing in a dynamic OC?

I think this is what we have to hope for.

I would love to ask the following question to someone on the inside: is Verducci being allowed to call the offensive shots without interference? The answer to that would certainly affect my feelings about him staying in Storrs...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Why not save $3.4 million and have the AD force him to change the offense by bringing in a dynamic OC?

Fine, but you're still left with his poor in game management issues and insane antics like the stupid 'Conflict' nonsense. He also hasn't proven to be an effective recruiter. It would be a stopgap measure, but eventually this guy needs to see Storrs in his rear view mirror for good.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If Benedict/Herbst think he should be fired on Nov. 27, do you really think they're going to wait 36 days and let Diaco twist in the wind?

For all we know they may think he should be fired right now, but it's not going to happen until after the season. If they think the financial hit is worth taking for the upside of getting a new coach in place as soon as possible after the season ends they should go ahead and pull the trigger then. From what I understand his incoming recruiting class is nothing to write home about anyway, so if we lose a few of his recruits, so what? It's not likely he gets another job soon enough to take any of them with him.

Reaction Score
I really think it would be wise to bring in a new coach while we still have Arkeel. He could provide a good shot in the arm for a new coach. I wish we had Thomas for another year too.

I don't want to go on any longer with Diaco in place. The longer we wait, the longer it is until we start winning and recruiting better. He's not going to recruit well over the next year if he's on really shaky ground. I just don't believe in taking your time in these situations. Either fire him or at least bring in a new OC now so the fans can have hope.

Edit: My apologies to Verducci if he is being handcuffed by Bob. I tend to think that may be the case because of the conservative style seen all over the field. Somebody is mandating that I would think.

Last edited:

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Somehow Scott Frost convinced a Hawaii kid to come to Orlando. Does the UConn coach have to recruit harder than UCF? No doubt. But that's why these guys get paid $1.7 million a year, to figure these things out.

frost was his main recruiter while he was at Oregon, Oregon didn't offer him but as soon as frost signed on at ucf he had him on an official visit and he signed on that trip. he was a 2 star qb out of Hawaii and has happened to work out. its not like he was a blue chip prospect, sometimes you get lucky and hit on a prospect. he also has great skill players around him that make him look even better. its all in how you look at it. if you wanna be pissed because HCBD is getting circles coached around him on the field then thats fine but unfortunately we wont be able to recruit those skill players until we have continued success.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
You could argue that the SMU loss was worse than any of ours. And much more impactful to them. No way they get a NY6 bowl now if WMU wins out.
even if wmu wins out boise is getting the G5 bid

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
Rhode Island is next year's season opener. Wouldn't be worst thing to just make it a freebie and give away tickets as a one-off just to get people in the building. Would be nice to see the stadium full or close to it again. Again, just as a one-time deal. If you're going to rip this, feel free, but you also have to post a suggestion on getting more people in the building

The season ticket base is under 15K and shrinking. They better start coming up with more incentives there, too.

honestly only thing i can think that would really draw me to season tickets again after this season is discounted BBall/ Ice bus season tix, and a heavy discount at that.

Reaction Score
honestly only thing i can think that would really draw me to season tickets again after this season is discounted BBall/ Ice bus season tix, and a heavy discount at that.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to give double or triple points for football tickets. This will help those basketball or hockey ticket holders get better seats. It's the least that they can right now. I remember back in the mid 90's when people use to buy season tickets to anything and everything just to get seats in Gampel.

Reaction Score
I think this is what we have to hope for.

I would love to ask the following question to someone on the inside: is Verducci being allowed to call the offensive shots without interference? The answer to that would certainly affect my feelings about him staying in Storrs...
Look at the offensive body of work under BD. Go back and look at all the posts for a new OC in the past. What has been the constant for this team? What is the head coaches base philosophy? The play calling is a direct reflection of BD and while he might not be involved in every play call, you can be sure he is involved in every key play call. Chip Keely could be OC here and the overall play calling would still be the same.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be a bad idea to give double or triple points for football tickets. This will help those basketball or hockey ticket holders get better seats. It's the least that they can right now. I remember back in the mid 90's when people use to buy season tickets to anything and everything just to get seats in Gampel.

Except the hoops schedule is so bad hard to want those tickets.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
All flash and sound bites... I will acknowledge that he has energy... but I have finally come to accept that we aren't winning anything in the AAC while he is here. Thank goodness we have another 7 or so years to figure this out!

Reaction Score
I think (Nice red pants Bob) Diaco isn't a bad coach; however, I do believe that he didn't realize how big his OC hiring decision would be in regards to helping get this program going again...

Reaction Score
I heard that DB was not really happy about the play calling. I expect him to do something.

I predict that Diaco stays and we see changes at the coordinator level. Which I would be ok with.

Reaction Score
I heard that DB was not really happy about the play calling. I expect him to do something.

I predict that Diaco stays and we see changes at the coordinator level. Which I would be ok with.
Welcome to our world DB... I believe we all saw that from day one.. then kept seeing up and until now... Some, during the process, gave Diaco the benefit of the doubt because of the re-build, BUT, when we all look at how the game plays out, week in and week out, you can see it in terms of the flow... It's like a script already written with no room for interpretation once something doesn't go according to plan.

Reaction Score
Mariota of Hawaii was also 2 stars, with 2 offers Oregon and Marshall. Kinda funny Johnny Football was also 2 stars. It would be nice to find a 5 star who everybody rates as a 2 star!!!:(:(:(

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
Wasn't my point. Houston had it and they blew it. After them who cares who gets it?
my father is from Boise and most of his family still lives there so we care but im not sure who else outside of Boise does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom