Coaching | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes but no way is paying to buy out BD. Having a future Pres. come to your campus is a HOME RUN regardless of whether you agree with her or not. Her fee was chump change. We are stuck with BD for at least until 12/17. We are not an SEC school that fires a coach who wins 80% of his games but loses 3 in a row. Capisce!!

Diaco has lost 67 percent of his games. Capice??

Reaction Score
you cant compare UCF/USF and UConn, those schools have the ability to turn around a program in one year because they are chock full of talent because of their locations. we on the other hand are not, we cant just flip it because we dont have the dynamic play makers that are on ever corner in florida.

Somehow Scott Frost convinced a Hawaii kid to come to Orlando. Does the UConn coach have to recruit harder than UCF? No doubt. But that's why these guys get paid $1.7 million a year, to figure these things out.

Reaction Score
At 25/ticket, you would need to sell 10,000 extra tickets for 3+ seasons worth of games to cover $5M.

And it doesn't matter who the coach is. We won't sell an extra 10k tickets a game here unless we are ranked or in a different conference.

Maybe they find the money somewhere and maybe DB does something. But let's not make a case that it makes fiscal sense. The math doesn't add up.

Reaction Score
Based on the diminished crowd levels game after game, the AD may be able to make a financial argument to getting rid of him also...

Not until the buyout gets much smaller. The math doesn't work.

Reaction Score
UH fans want Herman fired now...

You could argue that the SMU loss was worse than any of ours. And much more impactful to them. No way they get a NY6 bowl now if WMU wins out.

Reaction Score
They are gonna have to do what they did last year by giving season ticket holders a free hat.....probably have to add a bunch more stuff to get people to come back now though

Reaction Score
Your guy isn't exactly truthful, in addition to groping ALL attractive fems he meets,when he is not stiffing all business people he comes in contact with.:):):):):)
He might not be ideal by any stretch, but he was a private citizen. Whereas the other was career gov official lying, deceiving and abusing her position.

Reaction Score
Needs to dress like it's a football game too. Look at Frost on one sideline and he on another, one is coaching football the other is ready to play 18 at Baltrusol. Grab a Nike UConn jacket and a pair of husky sweats and coach the game like you mean it. And a hat too so you can quite fixing your hair.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
He might not be ideal by any stretch, but he was a private citizen. Whereas the other was career gov official lying, deceiving and abusing her position.
Enough of this cr@p, guys. Leave it to the cesspool. This place stinks enough because of the football we're seeing without you guys getting stupid in here. Seriously.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Needs to dress like it's a football game too. Look at Frost on one sideline and he on another, one is coaching football the other is ready to play 18 at Baltrusol. Grab a Nike UConn jacket and a pair of husky sweats and coach the game like you mean it. And a hat too so you can quite fixing your hair.
Post of the year right here.
I don't give a rat's a-$-$ if BD wears a lace corset on the field if he coaches to win. Seriously, man. He could dress like Steve Urkel and stop playing to lose and it would be fine with pretty much everybody.

Reaction Score
Post of the year right here.
I don't give a rat's a-$-$ if BD wears a lace corset on the field if he coaches to win. Seriously, man. He could dress like Steve Urkel and stop playing to lose and it would be fine with pretty much everybody.

If he's winning yeah, he's not. By your response you wear red pants a lot too, sorry to f up your dress code DB.

Reaction Score
Word from the grapevine is that Oregon is already interested in Scott Frost.

Reaction Score
Well, I don't know what impact his wardrobe has on anything, and I m willing to bet he "coaches to win", but I have a few major concerns with Diaco:

While he's getting better, game day coaching still has a long way to go.

The Verruci hire was a head scratcher from the beginning for me and while the offense is making some progress, it is just too darned slow and maddingly inconsistent.

We still don't know how well Diaco is recruiting, but I don't see any speed on the field. He's recruited enough height to help Olie out, but we've seen nothing in the way of speed come into the program under his guidance - yet.

Reaction Score
You could argue that the SMU loss was worse than any of ours. And much more impactful to them. No way they get a NY6 bowl now if WMU wins out.
Weren't we SMU's only win in Diaco's first season?

Reaction Score
This. . . or DBs are so slow they can't stop the deep ball. But they give up 7 yards a clip and we get beat with deep middle balls galore! We have no speed on both sides of the ball. Can't win when you don't have speed and can't block well enough to play good smash mouth ball. 4th and 1 and what else. . . quick QB sneak. . . yeah stuffed. And we get out coached anyways.

LMAO. So it's the coaches fault both that we give too deep cushions and that we get beat deep too often? Some of you guys are too much.

I don't like the cushions either, and in the wind today I would have been tighter, but we saw John Robinson IV get beat deep on a play with 8 seconds left where he had nothing to do but guard the end zone, and we saw Stapleton and Levenberry get beat deep when the safeties had been pulled to the sides. It's not just coaching folks when you're getting beaten all ways instead of the same way every time. This was not like the Syracuse came (where we did get beat by the same thing every time without an adjustment).

Reaction Score
Not trying to defend Diaco because I wonder about some of the play calling myself but any coach in Storrs has one strike against them before ever walking on campus. And that strike is the recruiting pool not only in CT but in the surrounding states. It's going to be easier for Herman or Frost or Taggert to turn a program around because they are in fertile recruiting grounds. It might take Diaco or his replacement 5 years instead of 3 to build a team capable of competing. So pick your poison, stick with Diaco for one or two more years or start from scratch once again with another.
Oh stop with the recruiting pool. That is an excuse. You realize New Jersey is closer to Storrs by about 7 hours than Miami is to Florida State yet somehow FSU manages to get players from south Florida. There are good football players in the northeast that are recruitable there are more D1 players produced in Florida than available scholarships so they have to go somewhere else. You need to identify them get them and develop them. Edsall did exactly that. PA Maryland New Jersey Massachusetts New York are all closer than Miami is to Tallahassee. Of course you aren't winning with Connecticut recruits. But even Florida and Texas don't limit themselves to in state players. Nor do places like Washington Oregon Iowa KState. They all go out and identify players bring them in and develop them. The idea that we can't is both silly and has been proven wrong by Edsall.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not until the buyout gets much smaller. The math doesn't work.

First, I should state that I'm not sure the math works either. Having said that, you are not trying to make up 5mil for the math to work. You are looking for the difference between his salary and the additional salary of the new staff over the first 2 years with the Jan. 1 buyout included (if I'm thinking of this correctly). In other words; if you pay the new staff 3 million per year in the first 2 years + 1.8 million (3.5mil buyout Jan 1 divided by 2) - Diaco's salary, that will be the number in ticket sales you have to make up. Plus, there is a monetary value to loss of brand, although that is much more difficult to quantify.

Uggh. This is depressing. Let's hope he gets smart overnight and we start winning again...

Reaction Score
LMAO. So it's the coaches fault both that we give too deep cushions and that we get beat deep too often? Some of you guys are too much.

I don't like the cushions either, and in the wind today I would have been tighter, but we saw John Robinson IV get beat deep on a play with 8 seconds left where he had nothing to do but guard the end zone, and we saw Stapleton and Levenberry get beat deep when the safeties had been pulled to the sides. It's not just coaching folks when you're getting beaten all ways instead of the same way every time. This was not like the Syracuse came (where we did get beat by the same thing every time without an adjustment).
Got to disagree. Diaco had man coverage on with slow Dbs on that TD with no apparent cover over the top. All I know is my D coaches would have been screaming to stay behind and defend the end zone. It's true he isn't on the field but that is a classic coaching influenced moment.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Get a grip, the UC foundation paid for Secy. Clinton.:):)

And that's where the money to pay Diaco's buyout will come from as well. Academic and athletic donations all go through it.

Reaction Score
Maybe they find the money somewhere and maybe DB does something. But let's not make a case that it makes fiscal sense. The math doesn't add up.

That's 100 percent correct. That's why Diaco shouldn't have been given the extension in the first place. I guess Benedict wanted to show the FBS community he was The Man, even when Diaco wasn't even sniffing anyone's "hot coaches" list.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
At 25/ticket, you would need to sell 10,000 extra tickets for 3+ seasons worth of games to cover $5M.

And it doesn't matter who the coach is. We won't sell an extra 10k tickets a game here unless we are ranked or in a different conference.

He's not getting fired tomorrow or before the end of this year, so the buyout isn't 5 million. It drops to 3.4 million after Jan 1 2017.

As far as paying for it, we've sure got the extra seats right now, so bring in a coach who can put an exciting offense on the field and you'll get the fanbase back eventually. This isn't rocket science. Plenty of schools at all levels can figure out how to put an exciting offense on the field.

Reaction Score
He's not getting fired tomorrow or before the end of this year, so the buyout isn't 5 million. It drops to 3.4 million after Jan 1 2017.

As far as paying for it, we've sure got the extra seats right now, so bring in a coach who can put an exciting offense on the field and you'll get the fanbase back eventually. This isn't rocket science. Plenty of schools at all levels can figure out how to put an exciting offense on the field.
Why not save $3.4 million and have the AD force him to change the offense by bringing in a dynamic OC?

Reaction Score
They are gonna have to do what they did last year by giving season ticket holders a free hat.....probably have to add a bunch more stuff to get people to come back now though

Rhode Island is next year's season opener. Wouldn't be worst thing to just make it a freebie and give away tickets as a one-off just to get people in the building. Would be nice to see the stadium full or close to it again. Again, just as a one-time deal. If you're going to rip this, feel free, but you also have to post a suggestion on getting more people in the building

The season ticket base is under 15K and shrinking. They better start coming up with more incentives there, too.

Reaction Score

That's not exactly what I said. Speed is the problem in our secondary. And yes at times making adjustments. We've had many receivers and slot backs wide open in the middle of the field all season. I guess that's the players fault.

What I did say is that we get out coach. Is this not true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom