Coaching staff hasn't a clue | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Coaching staff hasn't a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You should have stopped at the experience point, the Big East/TV angle didn't have anything to do with Calhoun's success

That's untrue. Calhoun said it himself on CenterStage with Michael Kay. The way he was able to get quality kids to go to school in the Northeast Connecticut woods in the early years was selling the conference and heritage of his opponents, such as St. Johns, Villanova, and Georgetown.

The reason Calhoun had almost instant success is because 2 players can turn around a basketball team. The football equivalent is 9, and is actually higher given the specialization of football positions. We've been over this!!!!

FYI, Calhoun was 9-19 in 1986-87, when 3 other Big East Teams went to the Final 4.

I will remind you one again that no one is forcing you to be a UConn sports fan.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Simplistic yet the most important, which is exactly what this team needs. Do you want me to give you more detailed formation info etc? Because I can as I, unlike Diaco, have been the head coach of a team before.

I guess not a successful one. They don't seem to have as much free time as you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One of the reasons I was an early Diaco backer was that I felt he had a plan. But I've lost confidence that he has the ability to implement a plan, no matter how good it is.

Reaction Score
That's untrue. Calhoun said it himself on CenterStage with Michael Kay. The way he was able to get quality kids to go to school in the Northeast Connecticut woods in the early years was selling the conference and heritage of his opponents, such as St. Johns, Villanova, and Georgetown.

The reason Calhoun had almost instant success is because 2 players can turn around a basketball team. The football equivalent is 9, and is actually higher given the specialization of football positions. We've been over this!!!!

FYI, Calhoun was 9-19 in 1986-87, when 3 other Big East Teams went to the Final 4.

I will remind you one again that no one is forcing you to be a UConn sports fan.

Where did you get that 9 number from? For me, it's more like 15.

Reaction Score
One of the reasons I was an early Diaco backer was that I felt he had a plan. But I've lost confidence that he has the ability to implement a plan, no matter how good it is.

I'm at a different point. I think whatever his plan is, heavily favored long term goals over short term goals, and I've reached the point where I don't have confidence in his ability to head coach a team to wins, especially in games when matchups are at least even, or perhaps in our favor. I don't have confidence in that, because I'm not sure if I've actually seen the attempt yet.

This conclusion, that I hang on, is much better than the alternative.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pure and simple mathematics.

2÷5 = 40%
9÷22 = 41%

I also said that it's probably more given positional specialization.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I feel like I understand parts of the plan, but others have me confused and others just frustrated. We may not like the tone and consistent criticism offered up by certain posters, but when a team is losing for reasons that extend beyond any logical building process it's worth considering issues like HC experience and lack of game preparation.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Here we go again with my biography which I already basically posted on another thread a couple of weeks ago where I was called a troll. My son got me interested in this board, as he is an even bigger UConn football fan than I am (he graduated 3 years ago). I was a lurker for many months until he convicned me to join and post. My username is not "taking a shot" at the head coach, does he or does he not have Perfect Hair? How is that an insult? It's actually the first thing my wife ever said about him when she saw him for the first time watching the BYU game. As far as the signature from the Warren Zevon song, I think it's funny, and came to me as I was watching the "Color of Money" with Tom Cruise palying pool and singing that song. Again, I don't think it's a shot at the coach, just a joke, and I think it fits in perfectly with the theme of werewoves and energy vampires to use Diaco speak (and yes, that may be a shot right there).

I'm on record as I don't think he knows what he is doing. And I posted before, that after meeting him at one of those coach's tours he came off to me as a used car salesman. Some people thought he sounded great, all rah-rah and were all pumped up by him, my son being one of those. I didn't get that feeling. And when I saw that starting QB announcement debacle I gulped hard and said uh-oh. And after the BYU game when he talked about sending kids off the field because of sleeve lengths, the warning bells turned to sirens.

So that's my wikipedia entry. I'm not a player, or parent of a player or a poster under a different name, sorry to disappoint you. And I hope my first through twentieth impressions of our Coach are wrong, we'll see.
Thanks for answering my question. I don't believe you, but I appreciate that you responded.

Reaction Score
Some of the debates on this board are mind numbing!! I think Diaco has made improvements in our defense. If he can find a couple of pass rushing defensive ends and/or linebackers, he may be on his way to developing a great defense. Our special team play has been better than last year which we all know isn't saying much. Last year's version of special teams was horrible. At least we have had a few very good kick off returns this year. Our offensive has actually gotten worse. Had Diaco just adopted Weist's offense from last year, we may have won a few more games this year although that is open to debate since the best quarterback on our roster for that style offense wasn't around after game one. In any case, every new coach seems to always install his own system rather trying to come up with system that fits the current talent on the roster. The apparent belief is that its easier at the college level to install your own system and recruit the players to fit into that system, rather than to change your system year to year. As we all know, most college teams ( not all) usually get worse not better in the first year of a new coach. At this point in time it seem to be a waste of time to debate whether or not Diaco is a good hire. Those of you who are not impress with him to date, are never going to change their minds through this on- line conversation. The only thing that will do that will be Uconn wining more games during the season. I respectively disagree with those on this board who claim that he Diaco isn't making progress and that he is a poor coach. When you factor in the lack of talent and the experience on the offensive line, a lack of a good blocking tight and a lack of an athletic quarterback with the installation of a new offensive system, it was very optimistic to think this team would be successful this year on the offensive side of the ball. On the other hand, if Diaco stubbornly thinks he can run a offense that relies on 2 tight end sets, fullback leading run plays, option read with an occasional deep pass, then its on him to improve the play at those positions. My guess is that he will slowing make progress and that we will be close to a 500 team next year. I base this speculation partly on the improve play of the offensive line during the year and the knowledge that Diaco will have more of his type of players s on the roster next year including a quarterback who is a legitimate run threat. That may not satisfy the bowl starved fan based here. However, I very much doubt that any other coach that would be willing to come to UConn could improve us any faster. Lets hope we do see the improvement next year. Otherwise, its going to be very ugly at the Rent at the end of next season.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Here's my understanding of the plan:

1. Rebuild the players' psyches - they've been beaten down by the previous regime - one love
2. Rebuild their bodies - vitamins and strength conditioning
3. Run off the naysayers or those who don't love the game - the energy vampires
4. Give playing time to the youngsters now to pay dividends down the road
5. Build for the long term which means sacrificing wins now
6. Recruit size, speed and coachability

Unfortunately this hasn't paid off in wins this year and has led to a bunch of WTF losses. Problem is that four years of this mess, albeit only one year with him, means our fan base is cutting him very little slack.

He most definitely has a plan. We'll see if it pays off in the future

The only thing that I'll say is that all of the above with the exception of #4 could have been accomplished without treating the games as "scrimmages". That, along with the multi-QB thing, is what has bothered me the most in terms of his decisions. I didn't feel that he needed to sacrifice those things to build a winner here.

Having said that, the BJ McBryde comments have made me feel a lot better about Diaco and his gameplan. It's always good to get a perspective on the inside. So I'll table my criticisms until next year, when we win 15 in a row...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Jimdish255 said:
I feel like I understand parts of the plan, but others have me confused and others just frustrated. We may not like the tone and consistent criticism offered up by certain posters, but when a team is losing for reasons that extend beyond any logical building process it's worth considering issues like HC experience and lack of game preparation.

The fanbase went from screaming adulation and hope, including a clamoring for Coach D bucket hats, to a lot of people skipping tomorrow's game that would never skip a game. Add to that, a ton of brand new former season ticket holders next season.

BD's plan and his media communications are as responsible for that as the W/L record. That's huge and needs to be addressed in the off season. Especially, when you aren't looking at sure fire turnaround next season.

Not sure the program can recover from 8k/game next season if they start out slow.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The fanbase went from screaming adulation and hope, including a clamoring for Coach D bucket hats, to a lot of people skipping tomorrow's game that would never skip a game. Add to that, a ton of brand new former season ticket holders next season.

BD's plan and his media communications are as responsible for that as the W/L record. That's huge and needs to be addressed in the off season. Especially, when you aren't looking at sure fire turnaround next season.

Not sure the program can recover from 8k/game next season if they start out slow.

Wong on both points.

If Diaco called everyone on the boneyard idiots and we were 5-6 playing for a bowl game, people would be there.

Diaco sucks, gets fired in 3 years and the next guys wins, the fans will be there.

It's about winning. Just win baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22