Coaching staff hasn't a clue | The Boneyard

Coaching staff hasn't a clue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Showing me nothing week after week. No game plan, no nothing. It"s complete blind faith now, actually less than that - - you have to ignore the results of this season.

Smoked these guys last season and....

I don"t even know what to think now.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Losing to Army says it all about where this program is. Their players dream of leading troops in battle, not NFL careers. We should've had enough talent to beat them, rebuilding or not.

Reaction Score
It's exhausting rooting for this program. It really is. Hate to sound "non-supportive", but they're gonna have to win a few games right off the bat next season in order to catch or keep my attention. Otherwise, it's just gonna be more of the same inept crap and hopeless rhetoric next season. Likely won't see any true progress until year 3.

Reaction Score
It's exhausting rooting for this program. It really is. Hate to sound "non-supportive", but they're gonna have to win a few games right off the bat next season in order to catch or keep my attention. Otherwise, it's just gonna be more of the same inept crap and hopeless rhetoric next season. Likely won't see any true progress until year 3.

I hope to see "true progress" next year, but it has to be measured game by game and play by play, and comparing it to this season. If by "true progress" you mean we're going to be good, heck no, I don't expect us to be good.

I am not defending the staff for a moment, and anyone who wants to say they sucked this year isn't going to get an argument from me. But if you think the primary problem this team has is the coaching, yoou're nuts. Absolutely, positively, certifiably, nuts. The roster has to be rebuilt man by man and position by position. And not a single complaint about how bad we are or how long this is taking is going to change things.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The primary problem with this team is coaching. UConn is not competitive against the #8 conference in college football. Uconn blew out Memphis a year ago. No more excuses.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
You don't get it bonehead. Memphis isn't UConn. A head coach here should be able to do in three or four months what normally takes years at other schools, If he can't, he has no coaching talent.

PS - Fuente is in year three at Memphis and I imagine most who do understand football realize how exceptional a job he has done there. If Diaco reaches the same spot in year three the Pal's and Waylon's will b!tch about it being too little too late.

Reaction Score
I hope to see "true progress" next year, but it has to be measured game by game and play by play, and comparing it to this season. If by "true progress" you mean we're going to be good, heck no, I don't expect us to be good.

I am not defending the staff for a moment, and anyone who wants to say they sucked this year isn't going to get an argument from me. But if you think the primary problem this team has is the coaching, yoou're nuts. Absolutely, positively, certifiably, nuts. The roster has to be rebuilt man by man and position by position. And not a single complaint about how bad we are or how long this is taking is going to change things.

No, I honestly don't blame much of it on the coaches. They're clearly doing the best they can with what they have roster-wise and circumstantially. These are all good, proven coaches. They didn't suddenly become ret@rded as soon as they set foot in Storrs.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
2014 is a full, complete 100% mulligan year. We stopped trying to win games as soon as we ran out of the tunnel against BYU. It's all been about evaluating the full roster, right down to true FR at most positions. I think a reasonable expectation for 2015 is 5 wins (a modest improvement over the last 2 seasons) and hope for more.

Reaction Score
I honestly shut the game off after we burned two time outs after their short punt early in the second quarter. If we still cannot get plays in from the sideline 11 games into the season, that's on the coaching staff. Amazingly, I had a wonderful dinner, free of any stress after shutting it off. Looked at the score once , saw 41-10 and just kept gnawing on my Bidwell wings.

Reaction Score
Record and results combination of many factors with coaching being a factor and coaches should not be getting a free pass for this year. I want them to do well as we all want this turned around soon as possible but coaching has to improve, saw an article where Diaco it was a 10 point game in third quarter, it was 10 at start of quarter but 31 point game at end of third quarter. Big part of coaching is how you do in first quarter with your game plan and motivate the players and in third after you make halftime adjustments and talk to the players. The last three games been outscored 62-0 in first and third quarters which points to not having a great plan or adjusting.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
They have a QB.

Lynch threw for similar yards against us last year as he did this year (169 vs. 194). In fairness, we also gave them 115 yards on penalties; many of which were pass interference. But our biggest problem was less about their QB than it was about our offense, unfortunately...

Reaction Score
You don't get it bonehead. Memphis isn't UConn. A head coach here should be able to do in three or four months what normally takes years at other schools, If he can't, he has no coaching talent.

PS - Fuente is in year three at Memphis and I imagine most who do understand football realize how exceptional a job he has done there. If Diaco reaches the same spot in year three the Pal's and Waylon's will b!tch about it being too little too late.
Your first line makes no sense unless you are being sarcastic which sounds like you are. Total agreement with your second line. One year ago we had the same record so ...

Reaction Score
Lynch threw for similar yards against us last year as he did this year (169 vs. 194). In fairness, we also gave them 115 yards on penalties; many of which were pass interference. But our biggest problem was less about their QB than it was about our offense, unfortunately...
Agree. Our DBs were bad.

Reaction Score
No, I honestly don't blame much of it on the coaches. They're clearly doing the best they can with what they have roster-wise and circumstantially. These are all good, proven coaches. They didn't suddenly become ret@rded as soon as they set foot in Storrs.

Sub, I am sorry but we do have some assets (not many I agree) and I have consistently watched this staff underutilize them. How about some screen passes to Foxx and Newsome? Some passing over the middle to our TEs? Heck just throw it up to Davis and have him go get it! I won't even get into the lack of defensive game plan given our current DBs or any sort of adjustment during the game. In all seriousness, this staff has looked to shorten every game and keeps feeding us the rhetoric of how bad a team it is and it's a process. Somehow, TJ had that fat, weak, dispirited and un disciplined team humming at the end of last season and now 11 games later we can't field a competitive team against the middle of the FBS. Honestly, since the Army game it seems to me like Diaco has completely thrown in the towel. Maybe we as a fan base deserve little but these kids deserve more.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Agree. Our DBs were bad.

If you told me that an injury to Byron Jones would mean that our defense would turn from pretty good to incapable of staying in a game by the third quarter, I would have said, "No way." But knowing what I know now, that injury was back-breaking to a defense that absolutely needs to be great in order to give our offense a chance to hit 13 points... :(

Reaction Score
Our DB's would look a LOT better, the better OLB play defending the pass, and a pass rush from anywhere that could be even somewhat effective on obvious passing down and distance . Just my 2 cents. We don't have a lot of size in the young CB's, but we have speed in the secondary.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Our DB's would look a LOT better, the better OLB play defending the pass, and a pass rush from anywhere that could be even somewhat effective on obvious passing down and distance . Just my 2 cents. We don't have a lot of size in the young CB's, but we have speed in the secondary.

Pass rush, for sure. But it's kinda tough to generate a pass rush when you consistently rush 3 or 4. It's almost as if our staff believes that rushing a 5th guy would result in a penalty of some sort...

Reaction Score

That's partially true but a number of these coaches have different responsibilities than they had at their previous position. And it's quite possible that what you could accomplish with ND level recruits may not translate scheme-wise to the athletes we have previously recruited especially on the OL. But clearly we should be good enough talent-wise to handle teams like Army, Tulane and Stony Brook which was a real struggle. That's coaching. Not settling on a QB is coaching. Running a predictable mind-numbing offense is coaching. Not getting the ball to your best players and benching others is coaching. Sitting back on defense is coaching. Not being prepared to defend the option is....?????? Getting bored need to stop there but some will understand.

Just want to edit by saying they may all be very smart guys. I don't know. I'm just hoping they're not too stubborn or too smart (in their own minds) to re-evaluate their approach in a number of areas next year. If not, I expect much of the same even with some very good skill players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sub, I am sorry but we do have some assets (not many I agree) and I have consistently watched this staff underutilize them. How about some screen passes to Foxx and Newsome? Some passing over the middle to our TEs? Heck just throw it up to Davis and have him go get it! I won't even get into the lack of defensive game plan given our current DBs or any sort of adjustment during the game. In all seriousness, this staff has looked to shorten every game and keeps feeding us the rhetoric of how bad a team it is and it's a process. Somehow, TJ had that fat, weak, dispirited and un disciplined team humming at the end of last season and now 11 games later we can't field a competitive team against the middle of the FBS. Honestly, since the Army game it seems to me like Diaco has completely thrown in the towel. Maybe we as a fan base deserve little but these kids deserve more.
there is a reason why players leave after a coaching change. it's difficult, it presents uncertainty, and it likely involves starting over which in many cases means losing.
I think Diaco could have coached differently this season and maybe gotten 1-2 more wins. But what does it matter? he's been candid about expectations this year, said that it will take time, and that his vision is 2-3 years from now.
i am continuously blown away by the experts on this board that have the knowledge, skillset, and experience to question an award winning coach making $2M+ a year about rebuilding a D1 football program. And yet somehow, nobody is paying these experts for their knowledge, which they gladly provide for free under a pseudonym.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
That's partially true but a number of these coaches have different responsibilities than they had at their previous position. And it's quite possible that what you could accomplish with ND level recruits may not translate scheme-wise to the atletes we have previously recruited especially on the OL. But clearly we should be good enough talent-wise to handle teams like Army, Tulane and Stony Brook which was a real struggle. That's coaching. Not settling on a QB is coaching. Running a predictable mind-numbing offense is coaching. Not getting the ball to your best players and benching others is coaching. Sitting back on defense is coaching. Not being prepared to defend the option is....?????? Getting bored need to stop there but some will understand.

Absolutely. When I see Boyle hit Davis for a nice gain on a first down play, and then see Davis immediately called to the bench, I am absolutely shaking my head in disbelief. The "process" has become greater than common sense. Getting certain people reps is more important than winning.

And the dual QB thing is the most absurd thing of all time; absurd enough to have been the subject of coaching clichés (if you have 2, you have none). Yet another example last night. Whitmer comes in for one series inexplicably (either he should stay for the rest of the game or never come in). Then, what happens on Timmy Boyle's next throw??? You've got it! Interception! Shocking. It's been happening to both quarterbacks all year. Icing the QB is the dumbest thing a coach can do, and we continue to do it throughout this maddening year...

Reaction Score

I'm not letting the staff off the hook, either. Personally, I can't understand how Weist had this offense roaring at the end of life year, but Diaco and his staff can't seem to muster similar results out of them now. And you already know they don't have the balls to go over the middle for fear of turnovers. I understand the frustration with how this utterly lackluster offense is coached. They went back to playing not to lose rather than playing to win, and win comfortably. Right now, I'm holding out the dim hope that they have something up there sleeve for next season in terms of offensive schemes and, oh I don't know, maybe actually preparing to win games rather than trotting them out on the field for Pop Warner scrimmages. Fact of the matter is, these coaches have demonstrated success elsewhere. There's no reason why that can't translate to success here. But of course, that's entirely up to them. They do have a reasonable amount of talent here to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom