Clingan upside | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Clingan upside

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Walton was an absolutes wizard. I know it was pre bird and magic, but he was absolutely dominant as a center passing. Shooting and dunking. Walton before his feet crapped out could have been in top 15 of all time category.
The argument we had after his Portland championship was "For one year, who was ever better?" That team steamrolled people playing beautiful team basketball. I say if he was healthy he 's in Top 5 territory.

Reaction Score
Big Bill also has an eye for talent and was on the Clingan Bandwagon early at PKI.. Really likes DC's game/potential..

Reaction Score
Recently spoke to someone who played with and worked with Clingan at Bristol Central. Said he has great outside shooting and once watched him make 80 out of 100 3’s in practice as we saw some evidence on a practice clip. We saw none of that last year behind Sanogo and I wonder how much chance he gets this year as he’s positioned inside mostly.

Reaction Score
Good lord

Walton was crazy enough, but now we are talking about a top 25 all time player?
I think Walton would have easily been a top 10 player all tiime if he hadn't had those foot issues that seriously affected his career .... he had all the tools you'd ever want

Reaction Score
DC says it on video to a reporter. He basically says "2 years and then we'll see".

I'll try to find the video
That actually could be read to mean "two more years and then we'll see" which obviously would mean he's coming back for his junior year, AT LEAST .... I'd prefer to think that way

Reaction Score
The argument we had after his Portland championship was "For one year, who was ever better?" That team steamrolled people playing beautiful team basketball. I say if he was healthy he 's in Top 5 territory.
I've basically said just about the same thing, responding to an earlier comment .... every element of his game was magnificent until his foot issues .... he was a brilliant passer, a great rebounder and ran the floor superbly .... had the most incredible Finals tournament game of all-time where he was one shot from total perfection .... no center did as many things wonderfully as Walton, not even Jokic ....

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It bothers you why? We're fans! What about the Timme disrespect last year? How'd that work out?
Beating a good player doesn’t make them bad. Anyone who said Timmie was overrated is also ignorant. Edey was on another level above Timmie anyways, it’s not his fault Purdues guards were mediocre freshmen. Purdue is gonna be a wrecking ball if the guard play improves.

Reaction Score
That actually could be read to mean "two more years and then we'll see" which obviously would mean he's coming back for his junior year, AT LEAST .... I'd prefer to think that way
Nope. Hurley will not allow Clingan to walk away from 25- 40 million dollars and no one wants him to stay more than we do but he’s going to the NBA. Just thankful we have another year with him. It’s impossible to predict UConn’s success but just make the tourney, get a decent seed and roll the dice and hopefully DC helps the team win while enhancing his draft status which should be top 10.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One more year people, enjoy him while you can

He's going to be our highest draft pick in a long time
But, but, but he was a project who was too slow and never played against top competition.... or so I read on the Boneyard.
;)

Reaction Score
If he unleashes a decent 3 point shot, he'll be a top 5 pick. There is no Wemby prospect in the 2024 draft class too so if Clingan just absolutely dominates, he'll have a chance at #1 overall. Probably would have to put up ridiculous numbers though like 16pts, 10 reb, 3 blk, and over 35% from 3 on 2-3 attempts per game.

Reaction Score
If he unleashes a decent 3 point shot, he'll be a top 5 pick. There is no Wemby prospect in the 2024 draft class too so if Clingan just absolutely dominates, he'll have a chance at #1 overall. Probably would have to put up ridiculous numbers though like 16pts, 10 reb, 3 blk, and over 35% from 3 on 2-3 attempts per game.
Put me in the highly disagree with Clingan needs a 3pt shot for UConn next year and or for his draft stock.
A. We've got better 3pt options (yes we do AND I would hope so).
B. The most important shooting thing DC needs to do is improve free throws. Helps us in games, allows him to confidently play inside and get to the line AND it is oft cited by NBA as best evidence of ability to later develop a 3pt stroke. Brook Lopez great example of adding 3 while in NBA.
C. I'm not against DC taking 3's like Adama did this year, but that in and of itself isn't determining his draft order or why Adama did or didn't get picked. Adama took 52 three's, 1.3pg shot 36.5% and it did not move the needle. DC is not taking significantly more than that! It is more about offense/defense in space.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Put me in the highly disagree with Clingan needs a 3pt shot for UConn next year and or for his draft stock...
Every player on the team should be able to bury that 3 at the top of the arc. It's basically just a free throw with a bit more oomf.

Reaction Score
Its his passing and face up game at the 3 that this post was about. & how its going to make him top 3 pick next year

Its His bball iq and passing that brought my jokic/walton comparison

Im sure i will bump this mid yr when its clearer

Reaction Score
Put me in the highly disagree with Clingan needs a 3pt shot for UConn next year and or for his draft stock.
B. The most important shooting thing DC needs to do is improve free throws. Helps us in games, allows him to confidently play inside and get to the line AND it is oft cited by NBA as best evidence of ability to later develop a 3pt stroke. Brook Lopez great example of adding 3 while in NBA.
C. I'm not against DC taking 3's like Adama did this year, but that in and of itself isn't determining his draft order or why Adama did or didn't get picked. Adama took 52 three's, 1.3pg shot 36.5% and it did not move the needle. DC is not taking significantly more than that! It is more about offense/defense in space.
Oh boy here we go again with you dinosaurs not wanting our centers to take 3's. It's not 1970 anymore.

Sanogo and Clingan aren't even in the same universe when it comes to NBA draft stock. If Sanogo was 7'2", he'd have been a top 5 pick. His skill wasn't the issue, it was his size. He is the size of a PF (barely) with the skills of a Center.

Reaction Score
Its his passing and face up game at the 3 that this post was about. & how its going to make him top 3 pick next year

Its His bball iq and passing that brought my jokic/walton comparison

Im sure i will bump this mid yr when its clearer
Oh boy here we go again with you dinosaurs not wanting our centers to take 3's. It's not 1970 anymore.

Sanogo and Clingan aren't even in the same universe when it comes to NBA draft stock. If Sanogo was 7'2", he'd have been a top 5 pick. His skill wasn't the issue, it was his size. He is the size of a PF (barely) with the skills of a Center.

Ok, put your money were your cutting edge lies and take us from Mesozoic to Cenozoic era.
How many in game three's do you think DC will shoot next year?
Why on earth does anyone think this more important than his free throw %?
Let's use the Over/under of 52 set by Adama & I'm taking the under.
To think his draft stock is dependent on 3pt shooting is primitive thinking, if he knocks down aforementioned free throws 12 footers while rolling, passing/assisting from high and low post the sky is the limit for his draft position regardless of 3s.

Sanogo and Clingan are different players and different sizes - thanks for that info! The hypothesis was Sanogo's 3pt shooting would improve his draft stock - it did not, kids these days call that a data point.

Reaction Score
I agree that FT% improvement is the most important skill for DC to improve. If he can hit 75%, not only will it win games but it will prove to NBA scouts that his touch and possible 3 point shooting are transferable to the NBA.

Reaction Score
The type of 3 is a factor? Sanogo had standing still set shot. Now if Clingan has a dribble and stop jumpshot 3 or stop and pop jumper from anywhere, wouldn't that increase his NBA value by making him more diversified? Some players shoot that way better than a still foul shot but of course he needs to be better there too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom