Clingan upside | The Boneyard

Clingan upside

Reaction Score
After watching him in high school, i was at times reminded of 86 bill walton. I actually began calling him “bad bill walton”, to my brother, a by member. I only meant his bball iq and ability to pass out of post. Not comparing him qualitatively. He wasnt the rim runner he is now. His one season step up was amazing

It made me smile when they half seriously compared him to Walton to bill Walton himself who was doing color during nike tourney

After watching jokic, and walton doc, im doubling down. With 5 out motion we run w center as distributor at top of key, hes gonna thrive. He’ll b a decent threat from 3, but the passing hes gonna spur on w karaban and spencer and castle, im so excited

Not to mention the high pick and roll, which he will thrive with. My point, laugh if u like, Hes got some jokic and walton to him. Can’t remember too many other bigs id say that about. Its great that passing bigs are in vogue at this very moment.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
7'2" is upside.

But he has skills when his feet are right. His D is All NCAA level. Will be interesting how he handles minutes. Both physically and mentally. Has to stay in game. Can't foul and Has to have stamina. Offensively he was mainly touches at the rim. If he can slow down the game on offense. Get his feet right he has the tools to be successful.

He was terrific with the minutes he got. No doubt. Can't wait.

Reaction Score
He's going to be a real good one, another year who knows how good. Looks like he knows what it takes to keep getting better and is willing to put in the time. As uchusky32 and fatlucy say the most important thing is keep straight up with body and hands, stay out of foul trouble because he can't impact the game on the bench. If he does add a 33% or better 3 ball to his arsenal yikes. Would love to see a jump hook as well, showed a couple flashed last year.

The thing is there were doubters he'd get even 5 minutes a game his freshman year and he got 13 but deserved more. The situation left it at 13, what level does he jump to next season is now the question?

Reaction Score
He's probably a cross between poor man's Bill Walton and Zach Edey.
Edey made a jump frosh to soph from 14 minutes and 8.7ppg/4.7rpg to SOPH:19 minutes, 14.4/7.7.
Then junior year 31.7mpg, 22.3/12.9.
I think Clingan sophomore year jumps a little more than Edey's soph season but close given target/expected 25 minutes.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I don’t care about him taking threes. I want him to foul less and improve his touch around the rim. Sanogo always had touch so adding some range made sense. Clingan needs to walk before he runs. He was a monster last year but left a lot of points at the rim. Cleaning that up would make him a superstar before he even factors threes in.

Reaction Score
I think an offseason of development under an elite staff like ours will take DC to a whole different level, 7’2 dudes with his passing skills, timing on blocked shots and his rim protection, to go along with great hands and spatial awareness are RARE

Reaction Score
They have to share the ball this yr even more, & i think he will be the key to that in a poor mam jokic way His passing is what people will be surprised by

Reaction Score
He’s far more athletic than Zack Edey. Not even close. I think he’ll improve but even Sanogo needed a solid back-up.
I agree, Clingan is more athletic and I'd add better upside. That's why I said poor man's Walton first.
But, far more athletic means what?

I don't think Clingan's 23-24 numbers have a chance to surpass Edey's Jr season. AND If Clingan stayed 2 more years I'd be plenty happy if he equaled Edey's Jr stat line, maybe trade pts for a few more blocks.
Edey really struggled with the athleticism in Purdue's tourney loss to FDU. Edey was essentially standing next to rim and swatting at every rebound & shot, yet he was pretty effective scoring 21 on efficient shooting and FT and grabbing 15 boards with 3 blocks. That loss wasn't on him. Purdue fans would hang up phone if offered to trade Edey for Clingan next year, UConn fans might think about it but then stick with our guy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's going to be a real good one, another year who knows how good. Looks like he knows what it takes to keep getting better and is willing to put in the time. As uchusky32 and fatlucy say the most important thing is keep straight up with body and hands, stay out of foul trouble because he can't impact the game on the bench. If he does add a 33% or better 3 ball to his arsenal yikes. Would love to see a jump hook as well, showed a couple flashed last year.

The thing is there were doubters he'd get even 5 minutes a game his freshman year and he got 13 but deserved more. The situation left it at 13, what level does he jump to next season is now the question?
I think he's superb at staying vertical against other bigs. He's not going to get many fouls there. His challenge is smaller guys coming into the lane at speed. He tends to chase them and try to swat the shots. That's a recipe for fouls. I am sure they are training that tendency out of him. If Kolek is going to make a crazy left handed layup over you while going away, then let him. You move towards him he'll cut into you and get the foul. Has to trust that his height affects shots and reduces FG% even if he doesn't block them.

Offensively he's got work to do. Looking to see a less rushed approach on his shots around the rim. He was better early in the year than later, when he started just throwing it up too quickly. Obviously the dunks and lobs remain a weapon. I still think around 25 mpg is about right for him.

Reaction Score
I had a dream last night I was at an MSG game next year and he was dominant. But he was mostly finding seams in the defense, turning, and dunking.

Reaction Score
I think he's superb at staying vertical against other bigs. He's not going to get many fouls there. His challenge is smaller guys coming into the lane at speed. He tends to chase them and try to swat the shots. That's a recipe for fouls. I am sure they are training that tendency out of him. If Kolek is going to make a crazy left handed layup over you while going away, then let him. You move towards him he'll cut into you and get the foul. Has to trust that his height affects shots and reduces FG% even if he doesn't block them.

Offensively he's got work to do. Looking to see a less rushed approach on his shots around the rim. He was better early in the year than later, when he started just throwing it up too quickly. Obviously the dunks and lobs remain a weapon. I still think around 25 mpg is about right for him.
This may be a dumb thing to say, but in the tournament it really seemed like the refs would call fouls on him, that weren’t fouls, because the other team literally couldn’t score on him.

Reaction Score
He needs to add offense. A short hook and a head fake.

Then work on the three pointers.

Reaction Score
The speed of CBB for big guys can be challenging.. If DC gets in the best shape of his life and plays smart D so that he can stay on the court.. Sky is the limit.. Sounds like he's already working on using both hands (ala Adama) on offense.. Being able to make FTs with decent proficiency will be huge.. Samson/Singare as effective backups will be key to DC's ability to catch a rest and stay fresh- as was the case last year with AS/DC combo.

Reaction Score
I hope he can learn some semblance of Adana’s footwork. He’s a great talent, but the addition of footwork and a baby hook - will make him a little closer to Okafor than Thabeet. Yes, a better passer than those guys, and a very high ceiling, but let’s not put excessive expectations on him.

Reaction Score
If he can be a more athletic and tougher version of Zach Edey then we're in business and the sky is the limit for this team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom