Clingan upside | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Clingan upside

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Clingan has some passing skills, which is good for a big/7' footer. Comparing his passing skills to Jokic because he has any is like saying Andre Jackson is Magic Johnson.
I don't think anyone is saying his passing skills are as good as Jokic. But it's better than most guys who play the center position and is something that can be looked at as an advantage.

Reaction Score
Maybe it’s fair to compare these 2 on freshman years rather than ones junior versus freshman? I mean Sanogo shot 54% from the court and 57% from the FT line as a freshman. Clingan 65% from the court and 51% from the line so let’s remember it took time for Sanogo to have a touch and score consistently. He actually only shot 50% his soph year from the court. So I kinda like where this kid with his “awful” touch stands going into year 2!!!
Really? I feel like this just got weird. Ok, sanogo best low post player we have ever had. Sanogo is Charles Barkley awesome. Toby Kimball good. Clingan is so not a big time player. He is thabeet. Edey is the man. What are we talking about. If he gets the sky hook let's dance. If clingan becomes edey we won't lose a game.

Reaction Score
Really? I feel like this just got weird. Ok, sanogo best low post player we have ever had. Sanogo is Charles Barkley awesome. Toby Kimball good. Clingan is so not a big time player. He is thabeet. Edey is the man. What are we talking about. If he gets the sky hook let's dance. If clingan becomes edey we won't lose a game.
[/QUOTE

Wow just got a ton weirder. Lol obviously you’re not very smart. Clingan just had a better freshman year than Sanogo did his freshman year what’s so hard to imagine he won’t become better? Nothing is for sure but I can promise you he will get drafted the guy you’re consumed with might not. But hey we can all have an opinions!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don’t think it’s the touch as much as the rush to get it done. If he takes his time finishing he will improve dramatically. And despite his inconsistent FT numbers his stroke as a freshman is better than Sanogos was. But you are correct in Sanogos improvement on his touch in every year, lots of soft shots that bounced his way because it became so good.
As big as he is, he's still a young man. As he builds muscle mass, getting bumped around won't be as distracting as it is now.

Reaction Score
Half "nope" and half "yep". Batting 500

Reaction Score
As big as he is, he's still a young man. As he builds muscle mass, getting bumped around won't be as distracting as it is now.
As big as he is there is room on his frame and arms for muscle. 20 pounds would do it.

Reaction Score
Clingan has some passing skills, which is good for a big/7' footer. Comparing his passing skills to Jokic because he has any is like saying Andre Jackson is Magic Johnson.
Jokic is one of the best passers in the history of the NBA. When he was out of shape as a kid in Serbia all those ball skills and passing were evident, scouts just missed it or didn't quite see how it would translate.

Clingan has some very good passing skills for a young big. Jokic passes the ball as well as any point guard who has ever played the game. I'm as bullish on Clingan as any poster but we need to slow down.

Reaction Score
If Clingan can develop a passing and post game comparable to Kevin Love at UCLA we have a winner. He's already with a superior frame and athleticism and a Unit of a Defender. He doesn't even need to stretch the floor like Kevin, just develop a respectable mid-range game like Sanogo did.

Reaction Score

Wow I didn’t even read this as well as I thought I did yesterday sitting at the Ocean Mist drinking a mudslide lol…”Clingan is so not a big time player” and yet Sanogo is “Charles Barkley”? You’re lost my friend try to think before you reply. The Barkley comparison one end is laughable and to add Clingan isn’t that good is beyond that. I like Sanogo and he helped guide us to a national title forever a year to remember as a fan. But he’s not Barkley, probably not Kimball either but he’s still a special Husky. But seriously to look at my post I’m comparing their freshman years and come away with that’s “weird” is hilarious. There’s no doubt Clingan will be a big time player but just now big time is yet to be seen.

But feel free to throw another one my way I like entertainment!

Reaction Score
Jokic is one of the best passers in the history of the NBA. When he was out of shape as a kid in Serbia all those ball skills and passing were evident, scouts just missed it or didn't quite see how it would tran
Clingan has some very good passing skills for a young big. Jokic passes the ball as well as any point guard who has ever played the game. I'm as bullish on Clingan as any poster but we need to slow down.
I think thats fair. Just think of dearth of good passing big men. Sabonis,vlade, gasol’s. All foreigners. Im just saying he will be that TYPE of big. & with roster of high bball iq around him this yr.

Yes he needs a hook & stop fouling bla bla, but hes so much more than Edy, even offensively. My point came from watching him distribute from the post in high school. Now hurley got him in shape and rim running. You cant teach bball iq. Same reason scouts love Karaban

Reaction Score
Clingan has upside. I think he can get up to 7-3 or even 7-3+.

Reaction Score
We're lucky we even got him back for his sophomore year. He's going to the NBA after this season, and if he doesn't we likely just had a very disappointing season
I understand, but self confidence and what motivates people vary greatly.

If someone has a, "winning the lottery" is my only chance in life mentality, you may be right. Others, however, who are more confident in their abilities and potential may think longer term about what they must do to become the best they can be.

JC reportedly told RIP after his sophomore year that one more year of development will lead to a higher draft choice and much greater long term success and the money that comes with that. He was right and RIP hasn't been shy about acknowledging it.

What I see in DC is a kid who loves it at UConn and showed how much he values stability by staying at his high school instead of going prep. He's also been very open about the aspects of his game that need development and the type of improvements he's talked about don't happen in four to five months of one off season.

Besides, he may have dreamed about one day playing in the Maui Classic! So, my bet is he stays at least two more years. We'll know about nine months from now.

Reaction Score

If someone has a, "winning the lottery" is my only chance in life mentality, you may be right. Others, however, who are more confident in their abilities and potential may think longer term about what they must do to become the best they can be.

JC reportedly told RIP after his sophomore year that one more year of development will lead to a higher draft choice and much greater long term success and the money that comes with that. He was right and RIP hasn't been shy about acknowledging it.

What I see in DC is a kid who loves it at UConn and showed how much he values stability by staying at his high school instead of going prep. He's also been very open about the aspects of his game that need development and the type of improvements he's talked about don't happen in four to five months of one off season.

Besides, he may have dreamed about one day playing in the Maui Classic! So, my bet is he stays at least two more years. We'll know about nine months from now.
He has been very open since the day he stepped onto campus the plan was 2 years and the NBA. You have your head buried in the sand living in a dream world

Reaction Score
He has been very open since the day he stepped onto campus the plan was 2 years and the NBA. You have your head buried in the sand living in a dream world
I'm pretty sure he didn't go to UConn saying 2 years and the NBA. I could dig up the articles from when he got to UConn. The thinking changed some after the PK85 Tournament.

Reaction Score
Just curious about the 2 years and to the NBA. Is this a direct quote from DC or reported by others?

Reaction Score
DC says it on video to a reporter. He basically says "2 years and then we'll see".

I'll try to find the video
I remember something like that also. I found the article from last July. He never said the plan was 2 years and out though as someone else said. He sounded unsure of how long it would take him to be ready for the NBA.

“Definitely two, three years is something I’m going to need, because of my body, and having Adama there this year and probably will be out next year,” he said. “It’ll give me an opportunity my sophomore year. We’ll see how these next two years go, and we’ll go from there.”

Alternate access:

UConn men’s basketball freshman Donovan Clingan preparing for Big East grind. Here’s what he expects

Reaction Score
I remember something like that also. I found the article from last July. He never said the plan was 2 years and out though as someone else said. He sounded unsure of how long it would take him to be ready for the NBA.

“Definitely two, three years is something I’m going to need, because of my body, and having Adama there this year and probably will be out next year,” he said. “It’ll give me an opportunity my sophomore year. We’ll see how these next two years go, and we’ll go from there.”

Alternate access:

UConn men’s basketball freshman Donovan Clingan preparing for Big East grind. Here’s what he expects

Yeah that's what I was thinking of. Either way it's very obvious at this point what the plan is with Donovan Clingan and suggesting otherwise is just being needlessly petty

Reaction Score
As big as he is there is room on his frame and arms for muscle. 20 pounds would do it.
He lost a bunch after high school, just to be able to run the court. He was pretty successful doing that, albeit not a lot of minutes. Everything he’s been doing has been to be the best he can be. He also had an upclose and personal view of Adama’s terrific season. He won’t play anyone that good, and he’ll be better. I see #6.

Reaction Score

To you and all the other people who do it: Why do you write Richard Hamilton's nickname as RIP? He's not Rest In Peace Hamilton for God's sake. Come on, people!

Reaction Score
Comparing the guy to Bill Walton

Gotta love the off season on the ‘yard
I mean, Bill Walton. I love Clingan, might be best big man in college this year (better than edey). but Walton was perhaps the most skilled center in nba history until some guy named Jokic.

Walton was an absolutes wizard. I know it was pre bird and magic, but he was absolutely dominant as a center passing. Shooting and dunking. Walton before his feet crapped out could have been in top 15 of all time category.

Reaction Score
If he can be a more athletic and tougher version of Zach Edey then we're in business and the sky is the limit for this team.
He is much better skilled than edey. More mobile, more skill, better feel and can run the floor. That isnt just athleticism and speed.

Reaction Score
Closest comp is Joker from Denver. Both versatile big men with great size who can play the mid-range and post game.
Good god. I just answered a Walton question, and you bring in the Joker now?

Why not compare him to Wilt and Shaq at this point?

Clingan is more athletic than Joker could hope, but that’s it. Joker is some fat, deliberate, eastern euro kid who dominates a basketball game as a PG/C like nothing we have ever seen. He’s only one of the most efficient players to ever dribble a basketball. .

Lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom