Chong | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
who HAS completely changed their shooting form... that's noticeable?

eventually Chong will get it if she needs to, sooooo many shooting experts smh

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She is much more than an Angie Biorklund, Maggie Lucas spot up set shot (push, what ever you want to call it)
for whom their team is required to set up plays to free them up

Lucas for the last two years has been vastly more than a spot up shooter. She drives the lane constantly getting into the lane and looking for the foul kick outs. She is simply so automatic on spot up 3s that that is what is ingrained in folks mind. She is excellent with the ball on the floor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She releases the ball after she extends her arms and the ball over her head when she finally flicks her wrist.
Every shooter must release the ball higher than their head or else it will never achieve the arc to clear the rim. Even the release point for the two handed set shot was above the head.

HGN

Reaction Score
Not to throw too much cold water on the Chong love fest, because the kid does have skills, but...I still don't like the way she shoots her 'jumper'. It's really an old fashioned push shot. Watch her feet...when she catches she takes too long to set her feet, then pushes from her chin. She got one of those stuffed in one of the earlier games. She clearly can make shots when she's wide open, but it would improve her game tremendously if she could learn to just catch and shoot with a higher release point...also add a pull up jumper off the dribble a la Bird or Bria. With her ability to get to the rim apparent already, those two would make her a much more dynamic scoring threat.
The shot goes in!!! That's what's important. At the end of the day it counts for 2 points. I doubt that Geno will try to change her shot because its going in the basket.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Every shooter must release the ball higher than their head or else it will never achieve the arc to clear the rim. Even the release point for the two handed set shot was above the head.
Except those like Geno and Wilt who used the underhanded set shot!:cool:
And agree - Lucas is not a set shooter unless someone is stupid enough to leave her wide open from three - she is a complete ball player and can get her shot up in heavy traffic with a good chance of making it from anywhere on the court.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Except those like Geno and Wilt who used the underhanded set shot!:cool:
And agree - Lucas is not a set shooter unless someone is stupid enough to leave her wide open from three - she is a complete ball player and can get her shot up in heavy traffic with a good chance of making it from anywhere on the court.
True on the underhand although I suspect most folks would be surprised how high the release point is even with that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
True on the underhand although I suspect most folks would be surprised how high the release point is even with that.
Just not above head height unless you are doing the backwards version a la the Harlem Globe Trotters!

Reaction Score
Exactly correct...their form gets 'corrupted' when they start playing at a young age and don't have the arm and wrist strength to shoot the ball with the correct form...sometimes like Mel Thomas or Chong they get pretty proficient in spite of the faulty shot and are reluctant to change. I don't know what Chong's aspirations are beyond UConn, but I know if I were her and hoped to play professionally in the future I'd start working on it this coming offseason. I think she has the athletic ability to modify her shot and shoot a high percentage. I also agree with the comment that her short jumper is a more conventional shot which suggests to me that the transition might not be that difficult for her.

I've heard Geno say that he has always preferred not to mess with a shooter if they make 'em, but all I'm saying is if I were her I'd do it.

How many players not just UC ones have had similar release points ? Wish I could name them all- C'mon Tiffany Hayes still has same style doing darn good in the WNBA
Maria Conlon great shooter just not big or quick enough for the pros-If it's not broke don't fix it. some of us (not me) must be getting bored with the blowouts to make staements
that really make no sense. Don't get insulted, don't want to start a whole thing here. JMO

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Very true, but it is right about eye level. Although for huskybill it is over his head.

Shooting underhand FTs used to be a favorite trick of mine when playing youngin's in PIG ot HORSE. They had no clue how to shoot it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
How many players not just UC ones have had similar release points ? Wish I could name them all- C'mon Tiffany Hayes still has same style doing darn good in the WNBA
Maria Conlon great shooter just not big or quick enough for the pros-If it's not broke don't fix it. some of us (not me) must be getting bored with the blowouts to make staements
that really make no sense. Don't get insulted, don't want to start a whole thing here. JMO
I said it before. More college players shoot like Chong than shoot like Moore.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Lucas for the last two years has been vastly more than a spot up shooter. She drives the lane constantly getting into the lane and looking for the foul kick outs. She is simply so automatic on spot up 3s that that is what is ingrained in folks mind. She is excellent with the ball on the floor.

True, but the degree that Chong will find herself open is (IMHO) infinitely greater.

Reaction Score
Shooting underhand FTs used to be a favorite trick of mine when playing youngin's in PIG ot HORSE. They had no clue how to shoot it.

I remember Rick Barry shooting those underhanded FTs when I used to listen to the Long Island Nets (ABA) on my transistor radio in the 60's...

Reaction Score
Very true, but it is right about eye level. Although for huskybill it is over his head.

As a youngster an older man maybe in his 60's put on a freethrow show underhanded at the Waterbury Boys Club in 1949. He made as I recall 200+
then stopped. He was the world record holder at that time. Anyone old enough with a memory who he was ?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

In many cases you are absolutely correct as to not monkeying with success. With Saniya she does shoot many traditional Js very well so it isn't a matter of changing her form but rather working to extend the range at which she shoots the J. It would be similar to the way in which Stef has extended her range from the foul line to the top of the key to the 3 point line using essentially the same shot form. Same form + added conditioning and strength = longer range success.

One of the reasons it works for Tiffany is that she often shoots it from 23-24 and beyond. It gives her all of the clearance she needs. Saniya, also, shoots it well beyond the line and at UCONN the threats are numerous and spread the court well.

Reaction Score
As a youngster an older man maybe in his 60's put on a freethrow show underhanded at the Waterbury Boys Club in 1949. He made as I recall 200+
then stopped. He was the world record holder at that time. Anyone old enough with a memory who he was ?

Guess he wasn't in his 60's Harold "Bunny" Levitt. Actually toured with the Globetrotters made 499 in a row once

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I remember him and have met him and shook his hand at a similar event. Nice guy and very courteous. His record streak was in the hundreds. Yes, you are right it was Bunny Levitt aka Mr. Basketball. In his 60s when I saw him.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let's keep track on how many times Chong has her three point shot blocked.
Not worried about that in college. UCONN will always keep the floor spread. Featured as a singular bomber as Maggie Lucas was her freshman year and the likelihood of blocked shots would go way up.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Not worried about that in college. UCONN will always keep the floor spread.
Personally, I think it's way to premature to talk about a WNBA career for Chong and her changing her 3 pointer jumper.

Reaction Score
Not the same guy you're mentioning but Ted St Martin in 1996 made 5221 consecutive.

Reaction Score
We have been blessed having her and all the current players and Geno and staff will get them all ready to make another run in March. SC is the real deal and even our walk ons are getting plenty of PT........Go figure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom