Chong | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Not to throw too much cold water on the Chong love fest, because the kid does have skills, but...I still don't like the way she shoots her 'jumper'. It's really an old fashioned push shot. Watch her feet...when she catches she takes too long to set her feet, then pushes from her chin. She got one of those stuffed in one of the earlier games. She clearly can make shots when she's wide open, but it would improve her game tremendously if she could learn to just catch and shoot with a higher release point...also add a pull up jumper off the dribble a la Bird or Bria. With her ability to get to the rim apparent already, those two would make her a much more dynamic scoring threat.

I agree...totally. Her form makes her more susceptible to a block/deflection. Ditto a lot of her passing.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not to throw too much cold water on the Chong love fest, because the kid does have skills, but...I still don't like the way she shoots her 'jumper'. It's really an old fashioned push shot. Watch her feet...when she catches she takes too long to set her feet, then pushes from her chin. She got one of those stuffed in one of the earlier games. She clearly can make shots when she's wide open, but it would improve her game tremendously if she could learn to just catch and shoot with a higher release point...also add a pull up jumper off the dribble a la Bird or Bria. With her ability to get to the rim apparent already, those two would make her a much more dynamic scoring threat.

Frankly, anyone who has played BB knows what a significant change it is to readjust a shot technique you have become accustom to, and successful at. Not saying it is impossible, but…very difficult for most.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
My recollection is that Mel Thomas adjusted her release point on her set shot....to a higher release and a quicker one. I think there are some similarities to Saniya's method. Mel's change came from her offseason work....hundreds/thousands of shots. Trying to do it during the winter wouldn't be advisable...imo.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Many women have shots that are not true jump shots. Maya's classic style is rare. Tiffany has a low release. She shot lights out her senior year and became the steal of the draft. Saniya has a quick release and good range, so she should be able to get her shot off most of the time.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that Mel Thomas adjusted her release point on her set shot....to a higher release and a quicker one. I think there are some similarities to Saniya's method. Mel's change came from her offseason work....hundreds/thousands of shots. Trying to do it during the winter wouldn't be advisable...imo.

Thanks, Blake. I agreed with the original poster's point, but I knew there had been a UConn player with a similar hurdle who overcame it. I just couldn't remember who it was. But you're exactly right, it was Mel, and she did become particularly deadly as a result of her adjusted shooting technique.

Reaction Score
Many women have shots that are not true jump shots. Maya's classic style is rare. Tiffany has a low release. She shot lights out her senior year and became the steal of the draft. Saniya has a quick release and good range, so she should be able to get her shot off most of the time.

I have to emphatically disagree that 'Saniya has a quick release'. She clearly does not. I agree with oz and blake that changing isn't easy and trying to do it during the season is unadvisable, but I know if I were her I'd spend the whole summer working on getting a higher release point and more of a catch and shoot. The secret there is getting feet set before you catch. If you watch tape of Kaleena, she's pretty much squared up and ready when she catches it...no doubt the result of a lot of catch and shoot drills like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhetavSVmU

Reaction Score
If Saniya'a shot is so awful, why didn't Geno have Shea work on it when she first arrived in Storrs. Much ado about nothing. Right now she could be freshman of the year and without question AAC freshman of the year.

Reaction Score
If Saniya'a shot is so awful, why didn't Geno have Shea work on it when she first arrived in Storrs. Much ado about nothing. Right now she could be freshman of the year and without question AAC freshman of the year.

It's not awful enough to risk trying to fix just like Tiff's wasn't. It is a limiting factor in her overall potential though.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One thing that Saniya has going for her in making the change if she does is that she does shoot a traditional J from about12-15'.

Scooter is correct it is an issue because it is limiting but it is not critical at this point. If Saniya is to go onto the WNBA for her sake I would like her to correct it.

Reaction Score
No one said it was awful, just not what it could be. You're letting your UConn bias get in the way...she has no chance whatsoever of being national FOY. None. Period. She probably won't even get any votes for it and she has only an outside shot at AAC FOY. There are too many high profile freshmen this year...DeShields, Gray and Mavunga at UNC, Reimer and Allen at Notre Dame, Davis at GT, McCall and Johnson at Stanford, Russell at Tennessee, Rowe at Oregon, Harper at Kentucky and Scaife at Rutgers (who was the preseason coaches pick for FOY in AAC) just to name a few. If I had to guess right now I'd put money on either DeShields, Gray, Mavunga, Reimer, or Davis. Scaife, unfortunately, has the misfortune to be playing for a coach who couldn't find a way to coach offense if her life depended on it so that might blight her chances. It might come down to whichever team goes the furthest in the tournament and who performs the best there. If you want a longshot pick, Chrishae Rowe from Oregon, though she's at a distinct disadvantage playing for Oregon and on the west coast.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the issue with a lot of girls is they learn to shoot basketballs (and pass) before they have really developed their arm strength so they are more likely to develop a shot that relies too heavily on their legs. And I think that is more true when you start trying to shoot traditional jump shots - the arm strength becomes even more critical as you are trying to release the ball at the top of the jump when the body momentum has gotten to zero.
Just based on appearance Saniya's arms are still thin - a year of strength work at Uconn may allow her to alter her three ball form to more of her short shot form - whether she tries to make more drastic alterations is up to her and the coaches.
There is reason why classic form became classic - it is the best integration of all elements of the body to achieve consistency/accuracy with a 'classic' body. But everyone is made a little differently and if a quirky form works for someone and is consistent it may be better to leave it be - just ask Jim Furyk!

Reaction Score
I think the issue with a lot of girls is they learn to shoot basketballs (and pass) before they have really developed their arm strength so they are more likely to develop a shot that relies too heavily on their legs. And I think that is more true when you start trying to shoot traditional jump shots - the arm strength becomes even more critical as you are trying to release the ball at the top of the jump when the body momentum has gotten to zero.
Just based on appearance Saniya's arms are still thin - a year of strength work at Uconn may allow her to alter her three ball form to more of her short shot form - whether she tries to make more drastic alterations is up to her and the coaches.
There is reason why classic form became classic - it is the best integration of all elements of the body to achieve consistency/accuracy with a 'classic' body. But everyone is made a little differently and if a quirky form works for someone and is consistent it may be better to leave it be - just ask Jim Furyk!

Exactly correct...their form gets 'corrupted' when they start playing at a young age and don't have the arm and wrist strength to shoot the ball with the correct form...sometimes like Mel Thomas or Chong they get pretty proficient in spite of the faulty shot and are reluctant to change. I don't know what Chong's aspirations are beyond UConn, but I know if I were her and hoped to play professionally in the future I'd start working on it this coming offseason. I think she has the athletic ability to modify her shot and shoot a high percentage. I also agree with the comment that her short jumper is a more conventional shot which suggests to me that the transition might not be that difficult for her.

I've heard Geno say that he has always preferred not to mess with a shooter if they make 'em, but all I'm saying is if I were her I'd do it.

Reaction Score
Jim Furyk shoots a classic jumper. Do you have a link? LOL

My nephew was one of the stars of his high school basketball team, but hurt his knee at the start of his senior year. Furyk took his spot in the starting lineup...no idea what kind of shot he had, although my nephew said he was a pretty decent player in HS.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have to emphatically disagree that 'Saniya has a quick release'. She clearly does not. I agree with oz and blake that changing isn't easy and trying to do it during the season is unadvisable, but I know if I were her I'd spend the whole summer working on getting a higher release point and more of a catch and shoot. The secret there is getting feet set before you catch. If you watch tape of Kaleena, she's pretty much squared up and ready when she catches it...no doubt the result of a lot of catch and shoot drills like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFhetavSVmU
I'll have to look again, but I still think she has a quick release.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
No one said it was awful, just not what it could be. You're letting your UConn bias get in the way...she has no chance whatsoever of being national FOY. None. Period. She probably won't even get any votes for it and she has only an outside shot at AAC FOY. There are too many high profile freshmen this year...DeShields, Gray and Mavunga at UNC, Reimer and Allen at Notre Dame, Davis at GT, McCall and Johnson at Stanford, Russell at Tennessee, Rowe at Oregon, Harper at Kentucky and Scaife at Rutgers (who was the preseason coaches pick for FOY in AAC) just to name a few. If I had to guess right now I'd put money on either DeShields, Gray, Mavunga, Reimer, or Davis. Scaife, unfortunately, has the misfortune to be playing for a coach who couldn't find a way to coach offense if her life depended on it so that might blight her chances. It might come down to whichever team goes the furthest in the tournament and who performs the best there. If you want a longshot pick, Chrishae Rowe from Oregon, though she's at a distinct disadvantage playing for Oregon and on the west coast.

Scaife has been playing about 25 mins a game. And CVS has given her what I'd consider a pretty long leash compared to what past freshman have gotten. Scaife might not be putting up big numbers( almost 10 points a game, 3 APG) but she's making a difference. Plays outta control sometimes, but once she understands what's a good shoot, or when to pull up and not be called for a charge like she has a few times now...she's going to be a star. Very impressed with her. Reminds me of Prince kind of.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Jim Furyk shoots a classic jumper. Do you have a link? LOL

My nephew was one of the stars of his high school basketball team, but hurt his knee at the start of his senior year. Furyk took his spot in the starting lineup...no idea what kind of shot he had, although my nephew said he was a pretty decent player in HS.
As I recall he dropped his left shoulder in a very peculiar way as he got into his jumper and almost had a slingshot like movement into his follow through. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
FRODO, Chong(not Ching mayers6) does have a nice short pull up jumper. She never used it much in HS, but it is there, the UCONN staff just needs to pry it out of her.
As for the 3 Pointer, call it what you will, but last night was just a small sample of what she can do when she is having a good game, BANG-BOOM!!!

Reaction Score
If you take into account things like fg% and TOs Saniya is putting up better #s than all but two or three of the rookies you mentioned. Agree though on zero chance for national foy. Gray's stats are over the top btw.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'll have to look again, but I still think she has a quick release.

IMHO, Saniya's release is noticably quicker than Tiff's. Also I would note that CD in her post-game comments the other days noted that Saniya "gets her shot off quickly."

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
just getting around to watching the husky access show. CD says Saniya has a quick release. Clearly, she doesn't understand basketball....

Reaction Score
Saniya's actual shooting motion is quick, but (compared to top shelf shooters like KML and Maya) there's a slight pause between the time that she sets her feet and the time that she initiates the shooting motion. When you combine that with the lower release, it just means that she needs a bit more space than other players to get the shot off effectively.

It isn't a liability, really, because she seems well aware that she needs the extra space and time to shoot. I can only recall one time where she was blocked while shooting a 3. But if ever there were a time to tweak the motion, it's this coming summer. It wouldn't be an easy decision, because she's so reliable with her current motion.

Saniya is thin, but I don't think it's a strength issue at this time. As others have said, I suspect it's more accurate to say that she wasn't strong enough when she was learning to shoot.

But anyway, I love watching Chong. She seems to be a great player in the making.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My wife and I were discussing the unusual form of how she carries the ball prior to her shot
I think the questions as to the rapidity of her release are irrelevant.

She is much more than an Angie Biorklund, Maggie Lucas spot up set shot (push, what ever you want to call it)
for whom their team is required to set up plays to free them up

Simply because she is so lethal moving to the basket.

So you have to give her a little space, if you are right on top of her, she's past you.
As a result, she's guarded loosely enough for her to comfortably get her shot off.
Perhaps, she will be defended differently as the season progresses.

I don't think (regardless of her release) that she will any difficulty getting off long-distance set type shots throughout her career.

If she develops a pull-up for shorter distances, all the better.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Right now her role in taking 3 pointers is to only take them when open on kick outs or swing passes.

I've watched several minutes of video of her in HS and she shot the ball very quickly whether she was wide open or contested.

I think the fact that she is wide open the only times she decides to take the three has caused her to take her time. At times it's to her detriment. Too much time to think.

She releases the ball after she extends her arms and the ball over her head when she finally flicks her wrist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom