Carlton | The Boneyard

Carlton

Reaction Score
Is the Carlton kid with Houston formerly a UConn player? If so, why did he leave UConn?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Same guy. He graduated, had one more year of eligibility, and wanted a fresh start somewhere else. If the portal was a business, Carlton would be raking in big time endorsement money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is the Carlton kid with Houston formerly a UConn player? If so, why did he leave UConn?
UConn has a great young center all Big East first team , he has capable backup with more mobiliy suited to our style plus we had highly regarded freshman coming in. Carlton was relagated to matchup minutes against teams with a big powerful 5 . He has a business degree from UConn and is a legitimate alumni but he wanted to play professionally so he needed to get to a place that he was in the rotation so he could showcase his talents. It wasn’t fair to keep him here.
We certainlly could have used him early when our bigs were injured or against teams like Creighton. But you can’t predict that going forward.
Most here are rooting for him as he is one of ours.,
was a great kid who played hard. His best friend and roommate for four years was our starting 4 and I‘m sure the team , although disappointed , are rooting for his success.

Reaction Score
michael jackson mj GIF

temery

What?
Reaction Score
UConn has a great young center all Big East first team , he has capable backup with more mobiliy suited to our style plus we had highly regarded freshman coming in. Carlton was relagated to matchup minutes against teams with a big powerful 5 . He has a business degree from UConn and is a legitimate alumni but he wanted to play professionally so he needed to get to a place that he was in the rotation so he could showcase his talents. It wasn’t fair to keep him here.
We certainlly could have used him early when our bigs were injured or against teams like Creighton. But you can’t predict that going forward.
Most here are rooting for him as he is one of ours.,
was a great kid who played hard. His best friend and roommate for four years was our starting 4 and I‘m sure the team , although disappointed , are rooting for his success.

Your answer is better than mine.

Reaction Score
When Josh was at UConn, his skills were obvious to everyone (Kelvin Sampson most notably).
Sampson has put Carlton is positions to succeed, and Hurley didn't really play to his strengths.

[twitter]

We had two players on the BE first team including a center and we also had a sophomore drafted in the lottery last year. I think Hurley knows a little something about putting players in a position to succeed.

Reaction Score
Carlton got a ton of hate on this Board when he was here. I always thought he had great potential and he showed it here numerous times. He had some big games and big plays for us that were often overlooked at the time.

I know why he had to leave. It obviously worked out for everyone as Sanago played great for us all year (minus the last three games of the season) and Carlton has been a pivotal piece for Houston.

Reaction Score
We had two players on the BE first team including a center and we also had a sophomore drafted in the lottery last year. I think Hurley knows a little something about putting players in a position to succeed.
And yet Carlton is still playing. I realize his strengths didn't fit the Hurley system, but just maybe you design an offense/defense for the players you have.

Reaction Score
Oh, spare me. You act like it’s impossible for Hurley to make mistakes - as though he’s the great one and that he’s not to be questioned. That’s a lot of respect you’re giving to someone who hasn’t made the second weekend of the tournament.

Josh Carlton played very little last season. In some games, he didn’t play at all. That was clearly a mistake given his obvious talent (which he’s demonstrating this year). Remember, Hurley also refused to play Whaley for about a year and a half, until his hand was somewhat forced with the Akok injury. He’s had some misses in identifying talent — it doesn’t make him a bad coach, but it’s fair to question this.

Reaction Score
Carlton and Houston are a perfect fit: offensive rebounding is in their DNA and they do a nice job rotating out their bigs.

As a result, Carlton is getting similar minutes to the pre-Sanogo days (21.9 this season vs 22.2 as a soph and 21.3 as a junior) but he has a career high in offensive rebounding: 3.3/game.

I've enjoyed Houston basketball for as long as Sampson has been the coach and I'm really happy for Carlton. Houston is one of those "culture" teams that walks the walk: which is refreshing in the banality of culture in most college sports programs...as a teacher, I can't stand hollow buzz words.

Honestly, I'm not in the mindset of "I root for all the Big East teams when we're not in the tournament", mostly because watching Villanova succeed puts me in a sour mood and I don't need to get started about Providence. While I'm not "rooting for Houston to beat Villanova", it would be pretty cool to see Carlton and Houston to make the Final Four.

Reaction Score
Carlton and Houston are a perfect fit: offensive rebounding is in their DNA and they do a nice job rotating out their bigs.

As a result, Carlton is getting similar minutes to the pre-Sanogo days (21.9 this season vs 22.2 as a soph and 21.3 as a junior) but he has a career high in offensive rebounding: 3.3/game.

I've enjoyed Houston basketball for as long as Sampson has been the coach and I'm really happy for Carlton. Houston is one of those "culture" teams that walks the walk: which is refreshing in the banality of culture in most college sports programs...as a teacher, I can't stand hollow buzz words.

Honestly, I'm not in the mindset of "I root for all the Big East teams when we're not in the tournament", mostly because watching Villanova succeed puts me in a sour mood and I don't need to get started about Providence. While I'm not "rooting for Houston to beat Villanova", it would be pretty cool to see Carlton and Houston to make the Final Four.
I hate to see other Big East teams succeed in the NCAA Tournament. To me, it gives our most immediate recruiting rivals bragging rights with recruits. I prefer the NCAA champ to be from a school as geographically far away from us and our recruiting base as possible.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Maybe it's the color red but I always liked the Houston Phi Slamma Jamma teams and enjoyed watching Nolan Richardson and the 40 minutes of hell. Those Mayberry/Day/Miller teams would have won a championship if not for UNLV. Those were way better teams than the Corliss Williamson championship team. Add in the fact Sidney Moncrief was one of my favorite NBA players in the 80's and he's an Arkansas alum and I'll be rooting for Arkansas and Houston every game going forward.

Reaction Score
A better question is: How does Houston keep winning with an “Ollie Guy” on the team?
Does Calhoun somehow get credit and claim Josh as a Calhoun guy via proxy just keep that fun ride going?

Reaction Score
He passes a lot better than Sanogo I’ll tell you that much. Opens up Houston’s offense on the wings.
Houston’s overall team setup makes the comps quite difficult. Carlton isn’t a focal point of the Houston offense the way Sanogo is here and opposing defenses can’t collapse into the paint against Houston the way they can against UConn. Houston’s perimeter guys are also way better at getting into the lane and giving him easy baskets. He’s definitely a better passer than Sanogo at this point but in the games I’ve watched he has seen far fewer double and triple teams than Sanogo did. All in all, dude found a great landing spot and I’d love to see him end his career with a national championship.

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget the year he gained weight “for the team” and completely stunted his growth from the prior season. That kind of set him back within our rotation and subsequent opportunities even the following year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom