Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Carlton

Reaction Score
Next step is for Hurley to get teams to succeed.

Only a moron would say such a stupid thing. Go check out his career record and knack of turning programs around. He even has two tourney wins at URI. He goes 0-2 in the NCAA tournament at UCONN and their idiot fans want to dump him. Now I know every fanbase has their share of idiot fans so we are not unique there ours are just uniquely spoiled.

BTW Carlton averaged 21 MPG this year for Houston.

Carlton averaged 22 MPG for Hurley in 2019 and 21 MPG for Hurley in 2020. It wasn't until Sanogo showed up and Whaley blossomed in 2021 that his PT dropped.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
And yet Carlton is still playing. I realize his strengths didn't fit the Hurley system, but just maybe you design an offense/defense for the players you have.

Ok, I'll bite. Playing Carlton would've meant you have to bench your ascending Sophomore that made the All-Big East 1st team this year and was a finalist for the award for top center in the country. I like Josh and am rooting for Houston to go all the way in this tournament, but it would've probably meant you lose Sanogo and/or Whaley doesn't come back this year. If you're OK with that, then by all means bash Hurley, but it just seems like a bizarre argument to make.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll bite. Playing Carlton would've meant you have to bench your ascending Sophomore that made the All-Big East 1st team this year and was a finalist for the award for top center in the country. I like Josh and am rooting for Houston to go all the way in this tournament, but it would've probably meant you lose Sanogo and/or Whaley doesn't come back this year. If you're OK with that, then by all means bash Hurley, but it just seems like a bizarre argument to make.
TL;DR: you can only play five at a time.

Reaction Score
Oh, spare me. You act like it’s impossible for Hurley to make mistakes - as though he’s the great one and that he’s not to be questioned. That’s a lot of respect you’re giving to someone who hasn’t made the second weekend of the tournament.

Josh Carlton played very little last season. In some games, he didn’t play at all. That was clearly a mistake given his obvious talent (which he’s demonstrating this year). Remember, Hurley also refused to play Whaley for about a year and a half, until his hand was somewhat forced with the Akok injury. He’s had some misses in identifying talent — it doesn’t make him a bad coach, but it’s fair to question this.
Alternatively, you could give Hurley credit for developing Whaley and getting more out of a player of his caliber than we had any business getting.

On Carlton, the top-level story is it's a win-win for both parties. Sanogo is a much better fit for Hurley's team (and was in fact 1st team All-BE despite his disappointing end to the season), and Carlton succeeded elsewhere. Good use of the portal all around.

Reaction Score
We certainlly could have used him early when our bigs were injured or against teams like Creighton. But you can’t predict that going forward.
Except I absolutely did predict it. I said a guy gets hurt another gets in early foul trouble and the depth is gone.

What's really crazy is we kept Richie Springs and let Carlton exit the program like he was on SpaceX. Josh would have also helped us big time against Providence at the XL.

Josh isn't a perfect player. He lacks explosion. But he is a brainy player who always hustles who was under estimated here. In any case, he is a classy young man and didn't deserve any of the nonsense thrown his way on the boneyard.

Reaction Score

Gotta agree here. He needed to go--it was best for him and UCMBB. Sanogo is a substantially better player, and Whaley still plays best as a 5. We just had one too many centers on the roster.

Reaction Score
Except I absolutely did predict it. I said a guy gets hurt another gets in early foul trouble and the depth is gone.

What's really crazy is we kept Richie Springs and let Carlton exit the program like he was on SpaceX. Josh would have also helped us big time against Providence at the XL.

Josh isn't a perfect player. He lacks explosion. But he is a brainy player who always hustles who was under estimated here. In any case, he is a classy young man and didn't deserve any of the nonsense thrown his way on the boneyard.
Your logic here is incredibly flawed. It was not a choice between Carlton and Richie Springs. It was a choice between Carlton and Sanogo. Carlton clearly did not want to be a bench player/insurance policy, which I totally understand, and found a better situation for himself.

Reaction Score

We may have won a couple more games this year with Josh, but he would have been doing himself a huge disservice by staying. People before me have already adequately explained why.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why does almost every topic turn negative! Congrats to Josh,
The vast, vast majority on the board is genuinely happy that Josh is doing well and isn’t looking to victory lap on it. Disregard the few outliers that feel the need to stir the pot.

#alwaysahusky

Reaction Score
Alternatively, you could give Hurley credit for developing Whaley and getting more out of a player of his caliber than we had any business getting.

On Carlton, the top-level story is it's a win-win for both parties. Sanogo is a much better fit for Hurley's team (and was in fact 1st team All-BE despite his disappointing end to the season), and Carlton succeeded elsewhere. Good use of the portal all around.
I don't disagree about his development of Whaley. But IMO Hurley was still slow to recognize this improvement -- Whaley went from barely playing mid-season his Junior year, to getting consistent double-doubles over the last several games (after Akok went out).

On Carlton, the transfer was a win-win for both parties - completely agree. He was going to transfer either way, given that Sanogo was going to be our starting center and the two of them really couldn't play side-by-side. BUT, that doesn't excuse the way Hurley used him last season. Carlton played 4 minutes (!!) in the Big East Semi-Final loss to Creighton and only 2 minutes (!!) against Maryland in our first round loss (and for the record, Sanogo only played 16 minutes that game - so it's not like he was playing the other 38). Carlton played 28 minutes last night in a Sweet 16 game, going for 10 and 7 in a win over a #1 seed. He's now in the Elite 8. Even you have to agree that Carlton should've been used better last season -- it's unfortunate he barely saw the court in our last two losses that year.

Reaction Score
Your logic here is incredibly flawed. It was not a choice between Carlton and Richie Springs. It was a choice between Carlton and Sanogo. Carlton clearly did not want to be a bench player/insurance policy, which I totally understand, and found a better situation for himself.
Totally agree. DH was committed to AS as starter at the 5.. IW was invaluable in his role at the 4/5.. Wasn't an option to encourage JC to stay based on minutes. UConn won--JC won.. Worked out for both parties.

Who knows-Maybe JC gets to hoist the trophy sometime soon. Good for him.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I don't think Whaley had such a fantastic career beyond what a 3-star recruit is expected to do in a 5 year period. He developed and got better but overall Whaley is a supporting cast player on a team that goes deep in the NCAA's. His greatest individual accomplishment was winning conference DPOY, which while admirable, isn't unheard of from a 3-star.

Reaction Score
Just another example of Hurley's ability to judge talent. Same thing with Akok.

Reaction Score
Some fans (really one fan) wanted him to stay.

Here's what I posted about Carlton going back to 2019. You're not the only one who wanted him to stay.

Carlton will be a very important player for us his senior year. It's unfortunate he's not where the team needs him to be, but that's not his fault. He didn't run the program into the ground and create a bunch of transfers out.
If Carlton continues to develop and a true freshman takes his spot, then that kid is likely a lottery pick.

However, I don't blame him for leaving, and I'm happy he's finding success at Houston. He deserves it.

Reaction Score
Never said he didn't have to go, he did because he didn't fit. With everything I've read about Clingan not sure he fits the offense as it is now.

Reaction Score
Why does almost every topic turn negative! Congrats to Josh,
Boneyard's gonna Boneyard.

As for Josh, he had some big rebounds & putbacks last night. Seems to fit in well with UH. I'm glad for him.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Never said he didn't have to go, he did because he didn't fit. With everything I've read about Clingan not sure he fits the offense as it is now.

He left because he was the 3rd big in the pecking order. The other two players better fit his system so it doesn't make sense that Hurley would change his system to accommodate the 3rd big on the roster. That's why I think it's unfair for you to criticize Hurley for this.

Reaction Score
The Purdue coach seems to be able to make it work with 2 big kids.
Very different situations. Purdue basically has a 50/50 timeshare between two centers. There were 3 centers at UConn, and regardless of views on whether it was coaching/system issues, Carlton was pretty clearly #3 of the group and unlike Whaley, did not have any position versatility. If Carlton had stayed, he was probably looking at a similar 10 mpg when Sanogo and Whaley were healthy. Clearly that was not going to work for him and he found a better situation.

His success at Houston does not necessarily have to be an indictment of Hurley. It can just be that he found a better situation for his abilities, UConn had two better options for their system, and he very fairly wanted a bigger role for his last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom