Carlton | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Carlton

Reaction Score
I don't disagree about his development of Whaley. But IMO Hurley was still slow to recognize this improvement -- Whaley went from barely playing mid-season his Junior year, to getting consistent double-doubles over the last several games (after Akok went out).

On Carlton, the transfer was a win-win for both parties - completely agree. He was going to transfer either way, given that Sanogo was going to be our starting center and the two of them really couldn't play side-by-side. BUT, that doesn't excuse the way Hurley used him last season. Carlton played 4 minutes (!!) in the Big East Semi-Final loss to Creighton and only 2 minutes (!!) against Maryland in our first round loss (and for the record, Sanogo only played 16 minutes that game - so it's not like he was playing the other 38). Carlton played 28 minutes last night in a Sweet 16 game, going for 10 and 7 in a win over a #1 seed. He's now in the Elite 8. Even you have to agree that Carlton should've been used better last season -- it's unfortunate he barely saw the court in our last two losses that year.
Perhaps Carlton could have gotten more run last year, but again, it's not in a vacuum, it would have to be at someone's expense.

Whaley? Again, Carlton was still a better fit. Playing Whaley and Carlton side by side wasn't great.

Reaction Score
I always thought of Carlton as a very good player who was not handled well in his time here. He was inconsistent in his earlier years but still felt he was always passed over in favor of the new toys

Reaction Score
I don't disagree about his development of Whaley. But IMO Hurley was still slow to recognize this improvement -- Whaley went from barely playing mid-season his Junior year, to getting consistent double-doubles over the last several games (after Akok went out).

On Carlton, the transfer was a win-win for both parties - completely agree. He was going to transfer either way, given that Sanogo was going to be our starting center and the two of them really couldn't play side-by-side. BUT, that doesn't excuse the way Hurley used him last season. Carlton played 4 minutes (!!) in the Big East Semi-Final loss to Creighton and only 2 minutes (!!) against Maryland in our first round loss (and for the record, Sanogo only played 16 minutes that game - so it's not like he was playing the other 38). Carlton played 28 minutes last night in a Sweet 16 game, going for 10 and 7 in a win over a #1 seed. He's now in the Elite 8. Even you have to agree that Carlton should've been used better last season -- it's unfortunate he barely saw the court in our last two losses that year.
How do you know it didn't take part way through Whaley's junior year to be ready to produce like that? He was not highly rated or highly recruited. Was a very raw prospect that frankly looked overmatched when he did get minutes his first couple years. Credit the kid for working hard and not quitting on himself or the program. Also, credit Hurley for not forcing him out and reaping the benefits from Whaleys hard work paying off later on. Akok was highly recruited and provided a spark his freshman year pre injury. Nobody should be criticizing Hurley for giving him minutes. Remember Marcus White? Guy never played. Calhoun missed a game, the assistant played White. White played well and when Calhoun came back he said Marcus White should and will get minutes going forward. Point is, even the great ones are sometimes a little late to the exact moment in a players development that a player is ready to play and contribute.

Reaction Score
He left because he was the 3rd big in the pecking order. The other two players better fit his system so it doesn't make sense that Hurley would change his system to accommodate the 3rd big on the roster. That's why I think it's unfair for you to criticize Hurley for this.
Actually there4 big, we hardly saw one. If Sanogo has NBA aspirations then having Carlton at the 5 could have allowed him to develop at the 4. Howany get were we strapped because of injuries/foul trouble.
It wasn't that we had too many bigs.
It is something to think about - how will Hurley adapt to Clingan's game?

Reaction Score
Actually there4 big, we hardly saw one. If Sanogo has NBA aspirations then having Carlton at the 5 could have allowed him to develop at the 4. Howany get were we strapped because of injuries/foul trouble.
Carlton at 5 with Sanogo at the 4? Too plodding on defense and too clogging for offense. You are wondering if Clingan fits but you want to play Sanogo and Carlton together?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

I'm hopeful as Sanogo develops, he will maybe be able to play some minutes at the 4 as I agree that's his most likely path to the NBA, but he definitely wasn't ready to do so this year. Doesn't have enough versatility on offense and his footspeed on defense was very good for a center, but against stretch 4 types I think he would've had real problems. So I'm not optimistic that plan would have worked had Josh stayed.

I agree it remains to be seen how Hurley utilizes Clingan, but until we actually see what he does I will reserve any judgment.

Reaction Score
Carlton at 5 with Sanogo at the 4? Too plodding on defense and too clogging for offense. You are wondering if Clingan fits but you want to play Sanogo and Carlton together?
The question on Clingan is the same question on Carlton. As far as Sanogo, we all know if Sanogo wants NBA he needs to develop a '4' gameset.

Reaction Score
When Josh was at UConn, his skills were obvious to everyone (Kelvin Sampson most notably).
Sampson has put Carlton is positions to succeed, and Hurley didn't really play to his strengths.

[twitter]

Samson with warts and all, is a great coach.
DH? Still to be determined.

Reaction Score
The question on Clingan is the same question on Carlton. As far as Sanogo, we all know if Sanogo wants NBA he needs to develop a '4' gameset.
I think they're somewhat different situations. Clingan likely won't be vying for starter minutes until at least his Sophomore and potentially Junior year, so Hurley will be able to ease him in off the bench without there being a logjam at the position. People get on Hurley for not adapting his system to Carlton, but he had two guys that could play the 5 in that system better than Carlton, so why would he need to? I don't think we should automatically assume that he won't adapt a system to Clingan if he develops into a player that is deserving of that.

Reaction Score
To those who know Sampson’s coaching.

Did Carlton fit Sampson’s system or did Sampson adjust to for Josh’s skill set?

Reaction Score
Neither should play with Sanogo. Whaley was even iffy and Whaley has quicker feet and can guard on the perimeter and hedge way better than both those guys. We need to guard the Novas and Creightons on the perimeter and we need to unclog the lane on offense and surround Sanogo with shooters and drivers. As far as Sanogo developing a 4 mindset. He won't be able to guard NBA 4's regardless of whether he expands his offense game outward. Could you see him defending KD? Hurley's job is to win games at UConn first and foremost. Calhoun tried putting Freeman on the wing his senior year for NBA reasons. Didn't work out great. He was an excellent college 4 though.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
To those who know Sampson’s coaching.

Did Carlton fit Sampson’s system or did Sampson adjust to for Josh’s skill set?
Sampson was willing to initiate offense through Carlton with the understanding from Carlton that he would improve aspects of his game. Josh did. Clearly Josh's footwork, hands and lower base have improved along with his ability to finish at the rim. And they go through Josh whose a such a scoring and O rebounding threat while providing spacing for their 3 point shooters in Edwards, Shead, Moore and Fabian White.

Reaction Score
Sampson was willing to initiate offense through Carlton with the understanding from Carlton that he would improve aspects of his game. Josh did. Clearly Josh's footwork, hands and lower base have improved along with his ability to finish at the rim. And they go through Josh whose a such a scoring and O rebounding threat while providing spacing for their 3 point shooters in Edwards, Shead, Moore and Fabian White.
Thx

Reaction Score
We had two players on the BE first team including a center and we also had a sophomore drafted in the lottery last year. I think Hurley knows a little something about putting players in a position to succeed.

Then why can‘t we get to the 2nd round?

Reaction Score
1st
AE1A8D64-23CC-4AE5-A4D1-0171B2739018.gif

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
How do you know it didn't take part way through Whaley's junior year to be ready to produce like that? He was not highly rated or highly recruited. Was a very raw prospect that frankly looked overmatched when he did get minutes his first couple years
Here’s where I’m going to disagree. I disagreed vehemently and repeatedly with so many on this board who said Whaley would never amount to anything, needed to move to a Div. II school, or the MAAC. I saw his good lateral movement and defensive anticipatio, and his excellent jump timing on blocks and rebounds. All he needed was to learn to hold down the fouls, and all that took was playing time. He was not going to be an offensive juggernaut, but anyone 6’9” who can play the defensive end of the floor like that is valuable. Hurley should have seen it sooner.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not especially. Clingan is 4 inches bigger and a better passer. But if you mean the high hedge scheme, sure. But Dan can’t be dumb enough to put him in that. It makes zero sense.

Adama at 4 is a worse experiment than Kevin freeman at the 3. Adama is a 5

Reaction Score
Here’s where I’m going to disagree. I disagreed vehemently and repeatedly with so many on this board who said Whaley would never amount to anything, needed to move to a Div. II school, or the MAAC. I saw his good lateral movement and defensive anticipatio, and his excellent jump timing on blocks and rebounds. All he needed was to learn to hold down the fouls, and all that took was playing time. He was not going to be an offensive juggernaut, but anyone 6’9” who can play the defensive end of the floor like that is valuable. Hurley should have seen it sooner.
Maybe you should be a scout. He got time his first two seasons and looked overmatched. If by earlier, you mean earlier in the season he started playing decent you are splitting hairs. Like I said Calhoun made the same error with Marcus White but go ahead, blame Hurley for something else. We had Carlton playing Center and apparently people think he is Bill Russell now so he wasn't going to be playing over him. Akok was running the floor like a deer, blocking shots and injecting energy into the team. Credit Whaley for working hard and taking advantage of his opportunity. Things like this happen all the time on other teams but on the boneyard people have to go out of the way to blame Hurley for noticing a few weeks too late for their liking.

Reaction Score
Not especially. Clingan is 4 inches bigger and a better passer. But if you mean the high hedge scheme, sure. But Dan can’t be dumb enough to put him in that. It makes zero sense.

Adama at 4 is a worse experiment than Kevin freeman at the 3. Adama is a 5
I was referring to the high hedge - hope you're right, but has been a staple so far.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Maybe you should be a scout. He got time his first two seasons and looked overmatched. If by earlier, you mean earlier in the season he started playing decent you are splitting hairs. Like I said Calhoun made the same error with Marcus White but go ahead, blame Hurley for something else. We had Carlton playing Center and apparently people think he is Bill Russell now so he wasn't going to be playing over him. Akok was running the floor like a deer, blocking shots and injecting energy into the team. Credit Whaley for working hard and taking advantage of his opportunity. Things like this happen all the time on other teams but on the boneyard people have to go out of the way to blame Hurley for noticing a few weeks too late for their liking.
No, I mean freshman year under Ollie.

Reaction Score
No, I mean freshman year under Ollie.
You are talking about freshman year under Ollie but Hurley should have noticed sooner?? He was overmatched and looked like he didn't belong his freshman and sophomore year. His feet and novements were ok like you said but his skill and basketball ability was severely lacking. Credit Whaley for staying with it and becoming a good player. That doesn't happen overnight though. Chances are he wasn't playable for major minutes until around the time he started getting major minutes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom