Butler post game thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Butler post game thread

Reaction Score
Most downtowns in cities are dead these days. Hartford has been dead for a long time but Vaughans and Urban Lodge are good for pregame and they're right next to the XL Center. The XL Center is a total dump though, it's far past the useful life of an arena.
Hopefully the renovations later this year make the arena respectable.

Reaction Score
It was a strange game, we got off to a lead that grew into double digits. Then Butler made run after run after run to trim it down to three or four. Then we would answer and push it to seven or ten. And it seemed like every time they made a run a different Husky would step up. A five point run by Castle or a five point run by Clingan or Spensczar.

One of the announcers made a very good point. On any night any of five or six player can have the most impact on the game. Tonight they took turns doing it.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
It was loud on TV, we could hear the chants - but yes, the 2nd half for the most part was quieter. I think it was a combo of getting punched in the mouth right before halftime, the halftime wait, the later hour for our senior fans :p, and the fact the game was tight but there was never too much worry.

Butler is scrappy as hell and one I thought could have gone the other way so I'm glad to see the team was able to keep it going.

Loved Stewart's block, grab, and push downcourt.

I thought it as interesting that Hurley had them play small ball for a few minutes at the end of the 2nd half. Didn't need to so I guess he wanted to throw a different look at Butler to disrupt them.

Johnson needs more defensive work, he's gotta stop holding jerseys - he had a blatant one right when we got a TO that I thought for sure we were going to get a momentum stopping whistle on. Over the backs too much as well. I know he doesn't have a lot of experience, so I hope he continues to improve rapidly.

It was a strange game, we got off to a lead that grew into double digits. Then Butler made run after run after run to trim it down to three or four. Then we would answer and push it to seven or ten. And it seemed like every time they made a run a different Husky would step up. A five point run by Castle or a five point run by Clingan or Spensczar.

One of the announcers made a very good point. On any night any of five or six player can have the most impact on the game. Tonight they took turns doing it.

That's how we seem to go - the other squad tries to rally and goes on a run, UConn stops it and responds. The consistent response is why I haven't worried too much this season because even when another team claws back... I know UConn has something in the tank.

Reaction Score
I really like this Butler team and I'm rooting for them to make the tournament.

Hard-nosed team w/ Posh at the PG and both Brooks and Telfort are matchup nightmares in their strong, physical frames and their ability to score in a variety of ways, including bully ball and from the three.

Reaction Score
I really think these 8:30 games create a bad effect on the team. Also think it impacts the crowd energy. I understand why it happens but it still stinks. Can’t wait too see how these new super conferences who have schools from three or four different time zones deal with this issue.
Well I was able to drive down to the game after work from Mass and was so thankful for the late tip.

It is sort of odd that our schedule has worked out this way with a lot of later tips toward the end of the season, but I guess it’s good that we had a bunch of 630 games early on and later tips now so everyone has some games that work well for them

Reaction Score

Going into the season I felt like this team might lack the true star power at the top that last year had, but so much balance in the top 5 players who can all take over a game. Next few guys off the bench being able to each put up 10 points before you know it makes us dangerous for a coach as good as Danny

Reaction Score
I was there (and am at all XL games). The crowd was very good to start — I texted my UConn friends it was full and loouud right before tip-off — and the place was really loud for the early going and first U-C-O-N-N chant.

Then when UConn went up 35-21, the whole place — players, fans — all seemed to relax and never really got back into it the same way after Butler’s run.

There’s been a vibe at XL games like the crowd is there to see a heavyweight fighter throw his big knockout punch. When we’ve landed it, the building has been rocking. When the other team takes the punch and hangs around, the crowd has seemed more restless than anything and the late tip only added to it.
The other thing that’s been maddening this year is that we start a run, make a big shoot, the “Make Some Noise” sign comes up on the video board, everyone gets up, place is rocking…

And then the other team hits a 3 or a tough shot…

I swear it’s happened every. Darn. Time at XL this year

Reaction Score
I don't know how Northeastern had Telfort for three years. That guy must have dominated CAA

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Love this team but they get a little loosy goosey sometimes when they get a big lead.

At this point in the season, I always hold my breath when someone goes down clutching their leg/ankle. Glad Newt and Cling were able to walk their ankle twists off but they’re going to be sore today. Reminds me of when I was in college….ah forget it.

Reaction Score
The other thing that’s been maddening this year is that we start a run, make a big shoot, the “Make Some Noise” sign comes up on the video board, everyone gets up, place is rocking…

And then the other team hits a 3 or a tough shot…

I swear it’s happened every. Darn. Time at XL this year
I was at the game last night and I swear I said the same thing to my buddy. At some point, I refused to stand when they did the "Make Some Noise" came up.

Reaction Score
I'm going to make the not-so-bold prediction that Thad Matta will be the first Butler coach to beat UConn. It will be at Hinkle and the court will be stormed

Reaction Score
There’s been a vibe at XL games like the crowd is there to see a heavyweight fighter throw his big knockout punch. When we’ve landed it, the building has been rocking. When the other team takes the punch and hangs around, the crowd has seemed more restless than anything and the late tip only added to it.
This is the best description I have heard of an XL crowd.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Oh I cannot disagree more. Hes brutal. Tries way too hard with the jokes.

Asked Raftery - after showing Hurley talking - how hard it is to talk to players in the huddle. HUH?
He asked how hard it is for a coach to be concise in the huddle (as Hurley was). That's a completely different question.

Reaction Score
Just read a well researched game article touting uconn being lead by "freshman sensation Donovan Clingan" published by UBJ(?) Clearly the writer is close to the game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just read a well researched game article touting uconn being lead by "freshman sensation Donovan Clingan" published by UBJ(?) Clearly the writer is close to the game.
Look at the date on the article - maybe 2023???:p:p:p:p

Reaction Score
Castle and Karaban were off offensively and we were never in danger. Chat if you were on it you thought we were down, so negative. I think the 4 games in 9 days tberewas fatigue and we have to go into Georgetown Sat. 2 days rest.

Reaction Score
Castle and Karaban were off offensively and we were never in danger. Chat if you were on it you thought we were down, so negative. I think the 4 games in 9 days tberewas fatigue and we have to go into Georgetown Sat. 2 days rest.

And Newton. He was pretty awful for 90% of the game. The only guys that showed up were Hass, DC, and Cam.

Reaction Score
What was with the crowd. Seemed like people thought they were watching at a play.
An 8:30 Wednesday night start vs Butler where they're favored by 15 points? What do fans expect? Not every game is going to be the greatest atmosphere of all time.

Super weird posturing by fans that want to complain about every game played in Hartford.

Puparoni

Woof!
Reaction Score
The Butler sag off of Donaven in the high post grew more as the game progressed. He had to hold the ball more as the defense packed the middle. We had trouble getting off good three point shots and running a pick and roll. Credit to Butler. We responded with some key 3's. This was a great game of responses by both teams, a fine example of X's and O's. Our missed layups were a problem.
The Donaven difference was well supported by Spencer especially in the first half. This game would have been a blow out if we had finished the last 30 seconds of the first half better. This needs to be a focus along with better inbounding plays.
It was enjoyable to see an actual Big East basketball game instead of a basketbrawl game! Not a lot of fouls called and the game had good flow.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom