Butler post game thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Butler post game thread

Reaction Score
It’s weird to expect an engaged crowd supporting the #1 team in the country in a league game in February against a good team fighting for a tourney bid? That’s depressing.
And people get in a tizzy when we aren’t considered a blue blood. Puke, KU, UK don’t care when the game is, who is playing and what the rankings are; when they have someone in their house who isn’t a cupcake, they are loud. For whatever reason, our fans still aren’t as passionate and raucous as those other blue bloods.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The crowd erupted spontaneously several times in the second half with everyone standing and yelling, trying to cheer the squad over the hump. In most cases, the team gives up a quick hoop.

Reaction Score
Good game, Clingan looks like he is coming back into form 28 minutes tonight.
Looked good, i do wish he occasionally established lower position so he could just dunk

Reaction Score
Looked good, i do wish he occasionally established lower position so he could just dunk
That’s my only qualm. Edey is definitely more developed offensively but he dunks a ton. Clingan doesn’t move bodies as well and his touch, especially off the backboard, leaves a bit to be desired.

Reaction Score
An 8:30 Wednesday night start vs Butler where they're favored by 15 points? What do fans expect? Not every game is going to be the greatest atmosphere of all time.

Super weird posturing by fans that want to complain about every game played in Hartford.
I've been to plenty of games in Hartford that had great, supportive crowds. This was not an enthusiastic crowd by any means and without the crowd energy, the players seemed to have less energy. Sometime the crowd can really make a difference.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Big fan of Benetti on the call. I’ve watched him do baseball games before and he’s great there too.
I'm a big fan of Benetti too. He and Steve Stone made watching White Sox games bearable the last few years. The worst sports owner in the U.S. (Jerry Reinsdorf) wouldn't rehire him because Benetti wanted to do more national baseball broadcasts. The Tigers signed him up the next day. He is Chicago area born and raised and it's a shame to lose him. His back story about his diagnosis of cerebral palsy and the surgeries to improve his mobility are inspirational too. Some might feel he jokes around too much but he does have a good sense of humor. Lastly, Benetti is one of the few play by play guys that can keep Bill Walton semi involved in the game they are announcing.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
You catch the part on TV where the XL music people love to play the loud songs when Big Red is doing the cheer? Happened twice last night.

:eek:

Reaction Score
And people get in a tizzy when we aren’t considered a blue blood. Puke, KU, UK don’t care when the game is, who is playing and what the rankings are; when they have someone in their house who isn’t a cupcake, they are loud. For whatever reason, our fans still aren’t as passionate and raucous as those other blue bloods.
Said by the guy who stated that the game was too late to drive from Boston.......

Reaction Score
Cameron and The Phog are also both located on campus which makes a huge difference. Students play a huge role in bringing the energy, and a lot of times the rest of the crowd follows suit. At XL games, what percentage of the crowd are students? The 200 sections in particular have basically no students and it's predominantly families or older fans.

I think if we put a few small groups of students or even cheerleaders by the stairs or something, it'd probably be a catalyst to get the sleepier sections of XL a bit more into the game. The top few rows of XL can't even see the whole scoreboard, so if you're not a diehard like some of us on the 'Yard, it's pretty easy to see how you could feel a little detached from the game.

Reaction Score
Puzzled why Solo doesn't get more minutes. He stepped up admirably when Castle was out
The operative phrase is "when Castle was out" Castle took his minutes when healthy, turned out ok, yes?

Reaction Score
It looked and sounded completely dead on TV. Hope it was better in the building.
You know what, though, crowds get riled up for big games, close games and rivalry games. This was none of the above. It was never a game we were in serious danger of losing. We led from wire to wire. They got the lead down to around 5 a couple of times maybe 4 once, but it might as well have been 25. You could sense Butler wasn’t getting over that hump. It never felt like Butler could catch us. So it’s hard to get that excited.

2nd issue is it was Butler. Sorry but Butler is just another pretty good team. Not like we have some great long tradition against them like with Villanova. Not like they are in the “neighborhood” like aBC or somebody. Not like they are another top team or a blue blood like Kansas or UNC. It’s more like playing Northwestern. Yeah they are in the league, but most likely the team you always forget when you try to list the members. Given that it was Butler and it was a game we were not seriously in danger of losing, I’m not sure why you are so surprised the crowd never got into a frenzy.

Reaction Score
Going into the season I felt like this team might lack the true star power at the top that last year had, but so much balance in the top 5 players who can all take over a game. Next few guys off the bench being able to each put up 10 points before you know it makes us dangerous for a coach as good as Danny
I would say that we're less top-heavy but also less deep than last year's team.

I think we're not quite as good 1-3, but much better 4-6, but then much worse 7-9, if that makes sense.

Our starting 5 +1 is like exceptionally good.

Reaction Score
In the last 367 days, UConn is 35-4.

In the three losses, they had the ball in the last ten seconds with a chance to wsi

Puzzled why Solo doesn't get more minutes. He stepped up admirably when Castle was out.
who do you bench in his favor???? great problem to have

Reaction Score
They seemed bored.

This had all the buzz of a mid-February NBA game.

Best part was Raff noting all the different sets UConn runs and how well the UConn players move without the ball.

Pretty much every analyst says UConn runs a master class of offensive sets compared to other college teams. And yes it aligns with Hurley bringing Murray onboard.
It also aligns with bringing Karaban on board and personnel allowing our offense to morph to a true 4-out offense where all of them can credibly dribble, pass, and shoot.

Reaction Score
I would say that we're less top-heavy but also less deep than last year's team.

I think we're not quite as good 1-3, but much better 4-6, but then much worse 7-9, if that makes sense.

Our starting 5 +1 is like exceptionally good.
The starters are harder to gameplan for this season, each one can get you 20+ on any night. Only three were capable of that last season. I also think Cam is a better all around player this season than Hawk was last season.

Reaction Score
The starters are harder to gameplan for this season, each one can get you 20+ on any night. Only three were capable of that last season. I also think Cam is a better all around player this season than Hawk was last season.
He is at least more consistent. Hawk could disappear for long stretches. Spenser does not and even when not scoring seems always to be involved.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Newton was averaging 20-8-4 in the 4 games before last night. He isn’t in a slump, he had a bad game.
He is slumping in perimeter shooting. I was very glad to see that one three go down but that is the only 3 that he has made in the last 3 games...1 for 10

Reaction Score
He is slumping in perimeter shooting. I was very glad to see that one three go down but that is the only 3 that he has made in the last 3 games...1 for 10
He’s obviously better than that, but he’s just not a very good 3pt shooter as is.

Reaction Score
Your latter point is under-discussed but I think has merit. Hawkins was an exceptional spot-up and off-screen shooter and an underrated defender, but Spencer's game is actually more well-rounded and makes other guys' jobs easier more than Hawkins did.

Reaction Score
Cameron and The Phog are also both located on campus which makes a huge difference. Students play a huge role in bringing the energy, and a lot of times the rest of the crowd follows suit. At XL games, what percentage of the crowd are students? The 200 sections in particular have basically no students and it's predominantly families or older fans.
Completely agree
I think if we put a few small groups of students or even cheerleaders by the stairs or something, it'd probably be a catalyst to get the sleepier sections of XL a bit more into the game. The top few rows of XL can't even see the whole scoreboard, so if you're not a diehard like some of us on the 'Yard, it's pretty easy to see how you could feel a little detached from the game.
Nah man it comes down to pure number of students.

Reaction Score
Completely agree

Nah man it comes down to pure number of students.
Yeah but we’re never going to be filling the 200 sections at XL with students, so anything is better than nothing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom