Butler post game thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Butler post game thread

Reaction Score
I’m sick and tired of XL criticism. Crowd was great last night! I love games at both venues. It’s nice to see the arena full before tip off. Still hate casuals leaving early, but they do it at Gampel too, maybe even more. The flow of the game determines how the crowd responds. The crowd was cheering loudly most defensive possessions in the second half when they got closer. Forgot who said it, but it was better than the Providence game at Gampel last week. And those who say the XL is a Dump, F off. I’m there to watch the game. Don’t care about vendors, concourse, food, bathrooms. Been to
MSG and I’d still rather watch in XL! Way more intimate. Closer to the court even in upper level. Slam me!

Reaction Score
Yeah but we’re never going to be filling the 200 sections at XL with students, so anything is better than nothing.
If anything spreading them more thinly will only weaken the sound, as a gathering of sound from one place will amplify it most. People care when they decide to care and will just get annoyed by a handful of students in their sections yelling all game. Not having students standing and yelling near them isn’t what causes people to not be loud all game.

Reaction Score
Been to
MSG and I’d still rather watch in XL! Way more intimate. Closer to the court even in upper level. Slam me!
laughing-haha.gif

Reaction Score
If anything spreading them more thinly will only weaken the sound, as a gathering of sound from one place will amplify it most. People care when they decide to care and will just get annoyed by a handful of students in their sections yelling all game. Not having students standing and yelling near them isn’t what causes people to not be loud all game.
Well I thought it was pretty clear based on my first comment that I was implying the university should be focused on ensuring more students are able to be at the games and not diluting the student section that’s behind the basket. Once that section is at capacity, they stuff the rest of the students up in a corner section (I forget the number) where they’re far from the court and also pretty removed from all of the other fans.

In all of my experiences at XL, and I’ve been a Season ticket holders since I was old enough to afford them, the 200 sections seem pretty heavily influenced by how much energy there is in the front 10-15 rows.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I’m sick and tired of XL criticism. Crowd was great last night! I love games at both venues. It’s nice to see the arena full before tip off. Still hate casuals leaving early, but they do it at Gampel too, maybe even more. The flow of the game determines how the crowd responds. The crowd was cheering loudly most defensive possessions in the second half when they got closer. Forgot who said it, but it was better than the Providence game at Gampel last week. And those who say the XL is a Dump, F off. I’m there to watch the game. Don’t care about vendors, concourse, food, bathrooms. Been to
Thanks for weighing in.

I've read a range of opinions favorable and unfavorable, here and on Twitter, about Gampel, XL, and MSG, for this game & others.

I appreciate the variety of viewpoints, more than what appear sometimes to be efforts to engineer a final disposition on the matter.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well I thought it was pretty clear based on my first comment that I was implying the university should be focused on ensuring more students are able to be at the games and not diluting the student section that’s behind the basket. Once that section is at capacity, they stuff the rest of the students up in a corner section (I forget the number) where they’re far from the court and also pretty removed from all of the other fans.

In all of my experiences at XL, and I’ve been a Season ticket holders since I was old enough to afford them, the 200 sections seem pretty heavily influenced by how much energy there is in the front 10-15 rows.
The hard reality is the student section has been trash. Once you accept this life is better.

Don’t know why people hate on XL.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was there as well and it did get loud (not sure why it didn't translate on TV).

Those who leave early are ridiculous. The first wave left with nearly nine minutes left in the game clock. A second wave left with around four minutes left and a new wave took off every time we dropped under another minute mark.

Reaction Score
<
:rolleyes:
> the vendors, concourse, food, and bathrooms situation is soooo much better at Gampel </ :rolleyes:>

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
<
> the vendors, concourse, food, and bathrooms situation is soooo much better at Gampel </ :rolleyes:>
If you’re going to purely watch college basketball, not eat or drink anything, teleport to and from the game into and out of your chair back seats, and not go to the bathroom then yes Gampel is better.

Otherwise it’s an outdated dump and XL is a better all around venue to see a game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
<
Not the seats, the place where one spends the majority of one's time. They are the worst of any sports venue I've been to. It's worse than Fenway. And the concourse isn't that much better before and after games.

Reaction Score
So disappointed with Cam -- Wish he transferred earlier so we could get more than one year.

Can anyone find a creative way to bend the eligibility rules? Extra COVID year, Extra year for suffering at Rutgers?

Reaction Score
Not the seats, the place where one spends the majority of one's time. They are the worst of any sports venue I've been to. It's worse than Fenway. And the concourse isn't that much better before and after games.
Exactly. Boring vendors, non-existent concourse, poor food/beverage choices, silly bathroom situation, and metal benches. But XL is the dump.

Reaction Score
Not sure how many minutes Timberlake played against Houston but he had 1 rebound and zeros everywhere else. It’s amazing we missed out on our 1st choice and wound up with Cam.
He played 6 mins against K-State and had 2 Rebounds, and 0 points! He is a complete bust for dem Jayhawkers!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Exactly. Boring vendors, non-existent concourse, poor food/beverage choices, silly bathroom situation, and metal benches. But XL is the dump.
Dump to me says dirty and poorly lit. That's not the XL. Tired is more accurate.

Reaction Score
The hard reality is the student section has been trash. Once you accept this life is better.

Don’t know why people hate on XL.
There's been a bunch of students camped outside Gampel for hours for like every home game this year. There's one guy in particular who has spent over 50 hours camping outside the venues. The players all love and appreciate them and have brought them food and t-shirts and interacted with them repeatedly. Clingan in particular has been really showing appreciation for them.

The student section could use more organization for sure, like you see at some other schools with the cheer sheets and stuff, but I don't really think trashing the kids who are showing up game in and game out is very productive either.

Reaction Score
He played 6 mins against K-State and had 2 Rebounds, and 0 points! He is a complete bust for dem Jayhawkers!
Well, they got Furphy too, and didn't know what he was going to do.

Reaction Score
They’re basketball arenas, not 5 star hotels. Poor babies you have to sit on benches in Gampel. Oh the humanity! The food isn’t to your liking? It’s a campus arena, not Commander’s Palace. Eat before you go. The XL has better food. Well duh! It’s bigger and attracts a variety of events. It’s not MSG or TD Bank or Wells Fargo but it’s a minor league facility, not an NBA/NHL one in a major city. Compared to Providence or Springfield or Worcester or other peer city venues it’s better than some, worse than others.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom