Bracketology 3/5/23 | The Boneyard

Bracketology 3/5/23

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what weight the committee puts on the NET. LSU is #2, UConn is #3. It could change after Monday if UConn and #11 Villanova get to Monday and the Huskies win the championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would have been shocked by a 1 seed before the loss, and I see 3 as most likely now. Historically the committee has not given the benefit of the doubt to teams that have weak schedules on purpose .

Reaction Score
I think that if Louisville and Ohio State pull out victories in their conference finals and UConn wins out then we should grab a number one seed. At worst a high #2 seed.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The door is open, now we have to deliver. Whether it's a one, or a high two, this is our last chance to prove how good we are and improve our seeding. We have to beat Marquette comfortably, and then Villanova, or Creighton by double numbers. What all these upsets prove is that everybody is beatable, so why not do our job, get to Dallas, and see who can beat us.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what weight the committee puts on the NET. LSU is #2, UConn is #3. It could change after Monday if UConn and #11 Villanova get to Monday and the Huskies win the championship.

Actually, UConn is #2 in the NET, along with #4 in Massey. Sonny Moore hasn’t been updated yet to reflect yesterday’s games, but they are #5 there, and likely to move up. That simply doesn’t add up to a #3.

I could be wrong, but for years Creme has merely tried to project what the committee might do, but I think he may have decided to try to be more of an influencer not just predictor.

Reaction Score
Has Kim ever commented about why she chose such a ridiculously weak OOC schedule?
I don’t think Kim has anything to apologize for. She put her team in a good position for the post season. I suspect if she’d scheduled a tough OOC schedule, LSU might have looked more or less like Tennessee now — with some talent but in disarray as a team. As it is, they’re super confident now.

I still remember what Adia Barnes did to get Arizona ready for the tournament two years ago: feeding her team a steady diet of claiming they’d been dismissed by the world. That chip on their shoulders carried them to the NC game that year.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually, UConn is #2 in the NET, along with #4 in Massey. Sonny Moore hasn’t been updated yet to reflect yesterday’s games, but they are #5 there, and likely to move up. That simply doesn’t add up to a #3.

I could be wrong, but for years Creme has merely tried to project what the committee might do, but I think he may have decided to try to be more of an influencer not just predictor.
You’re right, UConn is #2. I did look before I posted but the site must have updated after.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Has Kim ever commented about why she chose such a ridiculously weak OOC schedule?
She did while at Baylor. She plays in a tough conference and wants to integrate new parts before the more-important conference play. Geno does the opposite. The AAC and Big East are weaker leagues so he schedules tough out of conference opponents

Neither is right or wrong, it’s just two coaches doing what they think is best for their teams

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I believe she said she scheduled this specific OOC before she got any of her transfers and didn’t know who was going to be on her team. However, her schedule would still have been incredibly weak and it didn’t help that the SEC is seen as having a weak year. But I wouldn’t say the BIG12 was ever overly competitive after Nebraska and TAMU left. (How far they’ve fallen).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think there's some truth to that. With the platform ESPN has given him its seems he's begun to drink his own bathwater.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Does it matter though? He's not part of the committee that gets to decide, and isn't he a pharmaceutical salesman for the other 11 months of the year? Why do we care what he thinks?
Because he is the messenger and people want to shoot the messenger when bad news is delivered.
As much as many have tried to inform our fellow BYers that Charlie is just reviewing the metrics (NET, Conference success, injuries) that THE NCAA COMMITTEE will use and tries to predict who makes tournamen what seeding will occur to inject excitement and dialogue. HE IS NOT THE BAD GUY HERE. UConn hurt themselves by losing to 2 unranked tems this year including 1 at home who isn’t going to make the NCAAT. Those are not “good” losses. Now compare that to the losses Stanford and Indiana had to RANKED and very good NET teams In their Conference tournaments. For UConn to be in any discussion for a #1 they need resounding victories today against Marquette (NET 39) and tomorrow with tomorrow being against a ranked Villanova With a 12 NET. Just beating Creighton (NET 17) might not be enough to get it done.

So enough of the pointed criticism at Creme, he does not have any input!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Because he is the messenger and people want to shoot the messenger when bad news is delivered.
As much as many have tried to inform our fellow BYers that Charlie is just reviewing the metrics (NET, Conference success, injuries) that THE NCAA COMMITTEE will use and tries to predict who makes tournamen what seeding will occur to inject excitement and dialogue. HE IS NOT THE BAD GUY HERE. UConn hurt themselves by losing to 2 unranked tems this year including 1 at home who isn’t going to make the NCAAT. Those are not “good” losses. Now compare that to the losses Stanford and Indiana had to RANKED and very good NET teams In their Conference tournaments. For UConn to be in any discussion for a #1 they need resounding victories today against Marquette (NET 39) and tomorrow with tomorrow being against a ranked Villanova With a 12 NET. Just beating Creighton (NET 17) might not be enough to get it done.

So enough of the pointed criticism at Creme, he does not have any input!
People can criticize if they like.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I believe she said she scheduled this specific OOC before she got any of her transfers and didn’t know who was going to be on her team. However, her schedule would still have been incredibly weak and it didn’t help that the SEC is seen as having a weak year. But I wouldn’t say the BIG12 was ever overly competitive after Nebraska and TAMU left. (How far they’ve fallen).
Oh please. She did the same thing when she coached Baylor. Even when she had the best player in the country she played a cupcake OOC schedule. She does it to pad their won-loss record, for no other reason and LSU shouldn’t have ever been in the conversation for a #1. Teams simply should not be rewarded for scheduling fluff competition.

Reaction Score

I think the Villanova point offers an opportunity. Usually I wouldn't expect much of a potential bump from winning the Big East Tournament because it is often a given, but as you point out with Villanova at 11, that could give us a decent boost, but if it winds up being someone else probably not so much, but that is a path with upside potential, and we have received some help from others.

Losing to another great team is very excusable, but I wonder if LSU and Indiana in particular might suffer more of a hit at least in public perception, because of the way they lost, both blowing huge leads. It is hard to think of a potential number1 seed blowing a 17 or 24 point lead but obviously it happens.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom