Boykin transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Boykin transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Blessings to her in all things and may her injuries heal and her love for the game carry her in a tough time. May her academic challenges be met and exceeded and her future be filled with a rich and joyous bounty of good things

Amen.

Reaction Score
Boykin never got into a game, so couldn't this year not count against her eligibility regardless of the transfer? If she never plays this season, which she wouldn't be able to anyway because of the transfer, wouldn't it be akin to what Heather Buck did where she basically took a year off and didn't need any special NCAA status for it to not count? That would mean potentially getting to play next fall at her new school instead of having to wait until the spring semester of 2017.

Reaction Score
I was having a good ay until I read this. This is horrible news. The last thing we need right now is one of our young ladies leaving the program. This news is almost as bad as slipping and falling in the shower.....ooouch! :( I join with the other posters in wishing nothing but the best for De'Janae and her family. Too bad things did not work out for her at UConn. I was looking forward to see her do so great during her time in Storrs.

Good luck to you De’Janae. Even though you never put on a uniform, or played one minute in a game, you'll always be part of our family.
Blessings and favor to you and your family. :(
We lose one every year. The only question at the start of a season is who.

Reaction Score
We lose one every year. The only question at the start of a season is who.

Especially when there are 11 scholarship players. A coach can always find time for 10, but more than that is very difficult to manage. Next year, there will also be 11; time to once again hold one's breath.

Reaction Score
What was De'Janae ranking out of HS. Was she rated higher than Collier?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Generally, no, though some observers (including one of our own) thought that DJB was as good as anyone. HG had Collier at #6 and DJB at #23.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
rt bb fan said:

She was ranked lower than Napheesa but still consensus top 20, IIRC. Others will chime in hopefully

Edit: Milford beat me to it !

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Boykin never got into a game, so couldn't this year not count against her eligibility regardless of the transfer? If she never plays this season, which she wouldn't be able to anyway because of the transfer, wouldn't it be akin to what Heather Buck did where she basically took a year off and didn't need any special NCAA status for it to not count? That would mean potentially getting to play next fall at her new school instead of having to wait until the spring semester of 2017.
The NCAA rule is that as soon as you sign a letter of intent you are committed to a school. If you transfer to a new school, you must be in residence for a full year prior to being eligible to play for that new school. That means if she transfers second semester this year, she is not eligible until second semester next year. She doesn't lose any eligibility, but playing second semester next year would count as a 'full year' so she would have three more years thereafter.
Because she did not play in any games, there is no need for her to apply for a 'waver'.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
She was a five-star recruit and was selected as a McDonald's All-American despite having not played much her senior year. I thought she looked pretty good in the U18s in the summer of '14.

Reaction Score

Yes, this year doesn't count against her allowable four years of play. However under the transfer rules, if a player goes to another D1 school, she normally needs to matriculate for a full year before she is eligible.

Reaction Score
Did Geno ever offer Sabrina Ionescu? She's still listed as undecided but considering 4 schools. An article on her stated she's 6 ' now.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Ionescu is about the only blue-chipper left on the table. Have always liked her game and her attitude.

Reaction Score
Probably time to construct the list again: surprising how it's growing, and mostly kids that we tend to think of fondly.
Engelin. Banks. Michala. Kennitra. Sherwood. Sadie. Samarie. Gemelos? EDD? (Not that I mean for this to become a discussion of whether she belongs on the list or not.) Kia Wright? Goring?

Who are the others? Wasn't there a guard who wound up at Vanderbilt?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First I would like to wish Ms Boykin all the best.

Next I would like to admit that altruism is not one of my strengths.
Boykin's departure sucks.
I do not believe in "she is only 17" and all that crap.
These transfers screw up our recruiting.

I read a ton in the old Boneyard about Liz Sherwood's size, mass, volume, smile etc and then she was gone.
We were left without a true center.
Then Harper tempted us only to deceive.
This is how our recruiting gets screwed up. Harper verbaled. Anosike decided not to come here. Then harper left for Maryland.
I have always privately referred to EDD as "The Sweet Cheat Gone" (with due acknowledgement to C. K Scott Moncrieff)
And please do not mention Samarie Walker to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First I would like to wish Ms Boykin all the best.

Next I would like to admit that altruism is not one of my strengths.
Boykin's departure sucks.
I do not believe in "she is only 17" and all that crap.
These transfers screw up our recruiting.

I read a ton in the old Boneyard about Liz Sherwood's size, mass, volume, smile etc and then she was gone.
We were left without a true center.
Then Harper tempted us only to deceive.
I have always privately referred to EDD as "The Sweet Cheat Gone" (with due acknowledgement to C. K Scott Moncrieff)
And please do not mention Samarie Walker to me.

You seem to have some issues that therapy might help address.

Reaction Score
Probably time to construct the list again: surprising how it's growing, and mostly kids that we tend to think of fondly.
Engelin. Banks. Michala. Kennitra. Sherwood. Sadie. Samarie. Gemelos? EDD? (Not that I mean for this to become a discussion of whether she belongs on the list or not.) Kia Wright? Goring?

You might be thinking of Marci Glenney, who ended up at Clemson.

Not sure I'd include Gemelos. She made a verbal commitment before her junior year in H.S. had started. Then decommitted about when her senior year was starting, long before signing day. I think the distance from home (3000 miles) and the fact that she probably committed way too early were factors.

Also Goring initially didn't end up at UConn for reasons beyond her control, i.e. that she wasn't eligible under NCAA rules due to her academics. Had to head off to a juco.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bummed but not surprised. Certainly makes the recruiting for 2017 that much more interesting as I don't think anyone really believes Irwin is a logical replacement for what Boykin's vacuum leaves.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Bummed but not surprised. Certainly makes the recruiting for 2017 that much more interesting as I don't think anyone really believes Irwin is a logical replacement for what Boykin's vacuum leaves.
Well, Eric, I reckon she will just GOTTA be! Maybe after a year or so with Geno and the gang.....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Boykin's runner up choice to UConn was Penn State; thinking that may be where she ends up.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Best of luck and health to her where ever she goes.

Reaction Score

This is an interesting list. But what is it you are trying to say about this list>

Reaction Score
I got my post deleted last summer when I hypothesized someone would transfer. Geno prefers to use 7...maybe 8 players, in big games and the tournament...a lot of cooks in the kitchen on this team. Lots of competition. Makes the Stewie/Mo/Morgan class even more special. Often hard for a high school star to accept reality when going to UConn, especially when two of your classmates are progressing and you're not. Then again, maybe she was just homesick.

BTW, not surprised (as I'm sure others are not) she would leave when she wasn't present on the bench for the last few games. Tough love isn't very popular with athletes nowadays.

Reaction Score
I'm not too concerned about when she can be eligible and how many years she has left and any of that. That's a problem for some other school, hopefully one that we don't have to play down the line.

I am concerned about what this does to our program in the near and medium term. Presumably, we were counting on her to replace some of the production lost by the departure of Tuck after this year or next. Do we have anyone else in the pipeline? Any 2016 recruits out there?

This isn't on the level of the departure of EDD, which left us down a superstar in 2011 and 2012, but it could be problematic.

Reaction Score
I'm not too concerned about when she can be eligible and how many years she has left and any of that. That's a problem for some other school, hopefully one that we don't have to play down the line.

I am concerned about what this does to our program in the near and medium term. Presumably, we were counting on her to replace some of the production lost by the departure of Tuck after this year or next. Do we have anyone else in the pipeline? Any 2016 recruits out there?

This isn't on the level of the departure of EDD, which left us down a superstar in 2011 and 2012, but it could be problematic.
We still have KLS and Collier from DJB's class. If any of those other two get home sick then yeah it could be problematic. You also have to temper expectations and realize that we're most likely not going to see another Stewie/Mo/Tuck class for the remainder of the Geno/CD era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom