Boykin transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Boykin transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Best of luck to you De'Janae. Sorry to see you leave.

Reaction Score
Sad news, best of luck to her. She had a rough start to her Uconn career. I hope she does well
wherever she lands.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
do she lose anything, can she play right away at another school?
She won't be able to play Div. 1 until after first semester next year. Div. 2 or 3 she could play right away.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Best wishes to DJB. Perhaps her brother's situation was a factor in her wanting to be closer to home.

Georgetown, Maryland, and GWU are all reasonable options.
Sounds like it.

Reaction Score
Disappointing for us, but hopefully cathartic for De’Janae. From everything I've seen and read she is a super kid with a competitive and kind heart.
Godspeed, De’Janae!

Reactions: HGN

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was looking forward watching her play this year. It is a shame that it didn't work out. Regardless, I wish her the best.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I hope she does well elsewhere.
But it's really going to hurt us next year.
Certainly could. Not a lot of depth in the front court. But as long as Tuck stays we'll be ok.

Butler, Tuck, Irwin and Collier and Williams can play the sorta 4 some.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I hope she does well elsewhere.
But it's really going to hurt us next year.
I think we'll be OK. Tuck being back next season is still an "if", but a roster of Tuck, Chong, Ekmark, Nurse, Gabby, KLS, Collier, and Crystal (among the other 2016 pups), make for an intriguing and powerful roster. A five-peat (if, knock on wood, stewie and UConn win #4 in a row in 2015) is not to be assumed at all and an extremely tall order, but the Huskies probably will still close the decade out in style.

It also is nice Geno is investing in Gabby like he has been, as we we have the added contributions of a starter with an unfortunate transfer as a result. I'm not shocked by the transfer, but losing Sadie and DJB is a shame for all concerned. However, I don't think Geno could have or should have handled either situation for those two any better, at least from what little I know...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Blessings to her in all things and may her injuries heal and her love for the game carry her in a tough time. May her academic challenges be met and exceeded and her future be filled with a rich and joyous bounty of good things

Reaction Score
Bye, DJB. Wish we could have known you. Bon Voyage.

Reaction Score
Boykin's loss is disappointing and I wish her the best, Kyla Irwin comes next year and she is 6'2 and is talented.... on 12/8 she scored 31 and she is tough on the boards. Mom's a coach and that is beneficial. UCONN coaches are great in player selection and development. They always have a plan!!!

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
You have to be happy,where you play to your skills,learn,and just plain old have fun.No matter what her reason(s)for transferring,I truly hope she will find comfort,happiness,joy,and peace of mind.

Reaction Score
Maryland don't have a scholarship to offer her and Maryland don't have a redshirt junior (or two) who we can reject for their senior season.
It's nice to know that Maryland doesn't have a hard heart and dump a "red shirt" for a hot product like Boykin. Too bad Maryland Doesn't have a red shirt or scholarship to offer her. I wonder what her Major was at Uconn?? English I read somewhere.

Reaction Score
She won't be able to play Div. 1 until after first semester next year. Div. 2 or 3 she could play right away.

She can play D2 or D3 right away IF she is in good academic standing when she leaves UConn after first semester. Otherwise she would not be eligible. To play right away also requires a UConn waiver, but I'm sure that would not be an issue.

Reaction Score
Very sad..... feeling sad that I will not see her suit up for Huskies..... Good luck with everything, and I am sorry not to see you play here!!!!

Reaction Score
Very sad for us, I hope it turns out to be a good move for her and her family.

I was hoping this class of 3 would come close to replicating the accomplishments and character of our class of Stewie-Mo-Morgan.

Good things have come in 3s, and I liked the pictures of KLS-NC-DJB together and smiling!

Reaction Score
Per ESPN Women's Hoops w Twitter.

Freshman forward De’Janae Boykin has decided to transfer from @UconnWBB, Geno Auriemma has announced.

There were a lot of signals out there that we might be headed towards this outcome.
Even so, right now it feels like a kick in the stomach. I remember how elated I was when she committed to UCONN.

When any of these young women decide to play for us they immediately feel like adopted children. We want to know everything about them and how they're going to fit into our program. That's why it's so much fun to watch them grow over their four years, not only as players but as people.

Like many other Boneyarders, I wanted to know more about what was really going on (especially when she was not included in the team photo) but I have no problem with the way it was handled by Geno or the coaching staff.

Like with Elena, it's always better to take the high road. Not every situation is going to work out. All we can do is wish her the very best and move on.

Reaction Score
I started thinking some time ago that this was a mistake.
We should have got Kiah Gillespie.
Did not have the courage to post it.
The first question I would have been asked - how many NC have I won.

Reaction Score
The enormous stress on an 18 year old struggling with serious, long-term injuries (wrist surgery/ Achilles), being far away from the loving support of family and friends, and facing the daunting academic rigors of a first-year student-athlete in a new and strange environment can be a brutally overwhelming burden.

I wish De'Janae nothing but health, happiness and prosperity. I will be rooting for her always in the years ahead.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was having a good ay until I read this. This is horrible news. The last thing we need right now is one of our young ladies leaving the program. This news is almost as bad as slipping and falling in the shower.....ooouch! :( I join with the other posters in wishing nothing but the best for De'Janae and her family. Too bad things did not work out for her at UConn. I was looking forward to see her do some great things during her time in Storrs.

Good luck to you De’Janae. Even though you never put on a uniform, or played one minute in a game, you'll always be part of our family. I too will be rooting for her in the coming years, wherever she goes.

Blessings and favor to you and your family. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer