Boston to South Carolina | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Boston to South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When DT left, it was 3 years of pretty poor basketball. UConn had little chance of winning a title with those teams. We're trending in that direction.
I think you make things sound worse than they actually were and probably worse than they will be going forward.
The 3 seasons after DT the team went 25-8, 32-5 and 32-4. I don’t know about you but I enjoyed watching players such as Ashley Battle, Jess Moore, Ann Strother, Barb Turner , Mel Thomas, Ketia Swanier, Kalana Greene and Brittany Hunter. We also got to see the early development of future Husky greats and national champs Renee Montgomery and Tina Charles.
I enjoy winning national championships as much as anyone on the BY but we should be able to enjoy the team even when that doesn’t happen.

Reaction Score
Y’all need to relax. Lol; get out of your feelings! Any team can get top talent and never utilize or develop it to win. 11 straight final fours, (5) #1 recruits in the past 10 years, 6 Championships in the past 10 years. It doesn’t matter who you get, we have Geno and you don’t. While we won’t win absolutely every thing, we won’t go down without a fight! #bleedblue

Reaction Score
I think you make things sound worse than they actually were and probably worse than they will be going forward.
The 3 seasons after DT the team went 25-8, 32-5 and 32-4. I don’t know about you but I enjoyed watching players such as Ashley Battle, Jess Moore, Ann Strother, Barb Turner , Mel Thomas, Ketia Swanier, Kalana Greene and Brittany Hunter. We also got to see the early development of future Husky greats and national champs Renee Montgomery and Tina Charles.
I enjoy winning national championships as much as anyone on the BY but we should be able to enjoy the team even when that doesn’t happen.

Your forgetting there’s more talent out there now that are being funneled to top tier teams.
The stakes are higher now. Our record is always going to look good in conference. Our overall record can be misleading.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Every once in a while your time comes. I’m actually very humbled by this year’s recruiting success... I vividly remember the feeling of missing on player after player after player over the last 3 or so years. I was a little down for DAYS after missing out on Smith. It didn’t feel good and some of our fan’s confidence in recruiting was shaken. This year was starting to feel like more of the same, but November has brought me YEARS of happiness it seems. It feels good to see the hard work of our staff pay off like this.

It feels raw right now (trust me, I know), but UConn will get the players that they are meant to get. It goes in circles.
If only the people on this board could summon half the grace and composure that you've consistently demonstrated.

I vividly remember your palpable disappointment, and I'm as happy for you as I am for Dawn Staley. She is continuing to build something very special in Columbia.

Reaction Score
Geno's style is no longer working with today's players. Without naming names, it was pretty clear that some players left here unhappy in the past few years. Reading Boston's comments on why she picked SC, its pretty clear that Geno needs to change if he is going to connect with current players.

Reaction Score
Geno's style is no longer working with today's players. Without naming names, it was pretty clear that some players left here unhappy in the past few years. Reading Boston's comments on why she picked SC, its pretty clear that Geno needs to change if he is going to connect with current players.

This is nonsense.
He has adapted to 2018 just fine. You act like he’s RMK throwing chairs across the court.
Please.

Reaction Score
I read this thread with interest. Of course a recruiting class of possibly 1 is not good when losing 2 and the bench is already thin. Geno has had all the things going for him to get what he wanted. Great coach, Good School, plays great out of conference schedule. What has happened different is that he is no longer the USA team coach and Dawn is. Something to consider and that adds to her resume. Has not changed me or who I will continue to cheer.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Coaching the USA team is an advantage.
That literally makes no sense. I still cannot understand how people have decided that makes logical sense.

Reaction Score
If Geno cant produce a title this year, I would say its time to move on. Shea Ralph would be a great replacement.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
As we saw with the men's team, you can fall quickly from being an elite program. I'm more convinced that the AAC conference was the worst thing to happen to UConn basketball. Recruits know whats going on & they want to be part of rivalries & legacy, not play a bunch of meaningless games against poor competition. The conference is a complete joke & it hurt the last 2 final four teams as they were not prepared (mentally, physically, coaching-wise) when it counted against the best competition.
Here I was with my paid seats watching in full view thinking it was buzzer beaters and some exceptional guard play that cost us... guess I better pay closer attention.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If Geno cant produce a title this year, I would say its time to move on. Shea Ralph would be a great replacement.
Let's test that logic for a second. Would you have been saying the same thing if Boston had signed with UCONN? Geno winning a championship this year has nothing to do with Boston.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Welcome back to planet Earth, BY, if only temporarily. This is where most of the women’s basketball programs live.

I feel your pain, I really do. Dawn got 3 of the recruits we were finalists for. You all got one, MsSt another. It stinks. You all still have the best coach in the country, that alone is gonna get you further along than the majority of WBB programs. The major difference in our situations is that our program is trying to work it’s way to the top, the go to program. You all have been there and “may be” seeing the start of the decline.

Enjoy the season, ya’ll still have a heck of a team in front of you.

Reaction Score
Let's test that logic for a second. Would you have been saying the same thing if Boston had signed with UCONN? Geno winning a championship this year has nothing to do with Boston.
Don’t waste your time Coco. You won’t get answers from these clowns. I’m wearing out my Ignore button.

Reaction Score
Most recruits are realizing how long Geno has left in his tank and they know the run is just about over . I would want Geno to coach me all 4 years without any doubt that he would be there everyday .
Where is it that Geno may want to step down soon. Maybe other coaches tell recruits this. He really isnt that old compared to many others. I don't see anything, except maybe golf as a reason. For all the negatives you can come up with if ANY player wants to be taught under the greatest teacher the game has ever seen then there is only 1 place for her.

Reaction Score
Where is it that Geno may want to step down soon. Maybe other coaches tell recruits this. He really isnt that old compared to many others. I don't see anything, except maybe golf as a reason. For all the negatives you can come up with if ANY player wants to be taught under the greatest teacher the game has ever seen then there is only 1 place for her.
Not only that, but Muffet, Tara, and Holly are basically the same age as Geno. Odd how age is only a factor for Geno, but not the other coaches within a couple years of him.

Reaction Score
It’s a fun day to read the board though. Everyone’s upset we lost Boston, a center!! A near meaningless position in 2018. People are crying like we lost out on stewie or a number 1 guard. So much more talent coming down the pike. If your interested in world domination we need to land the generational talent. Boston is not Griner, Stewie, Maya or even Lou. Boston will never even be as good as pheese. I get the bigger picture, we’re missing on talent Geno is going all in for. Combine that with losing Lou and pheese- Yes thst is very true. But don’t cry over Boston.

I'm going to remind you of that post when teams try to overwhelm poor ONO on the boards next year..............you don't necessarily need a physical 6'5" 250 lb. post when you have a 6'2" jumping jack with long arms but that train is leaving the station

Reaction Score
Not sure if I recall everything correctly, but there are some aspects of the recruiting process that seem to have played out differently over the past few years than they did previously.

It seems we used to get commitments from top players much earlier, even in their junior years (Dangerfield?), whereas lately they're waiting till near the end of the signing period. The last major early commits I remember were Samuelson, Collier and one other that committed soon after the four of them came on a visit together (maybe for Midnight Madness?). Is Geno possibly not as involved as he once was throughout the recruiting process due to all his outside interests and thus not building the rapport with them that he once did? Restaurants, podcasts? He wasn't at the practice on Friday before the Ohio St. game, for example.

What could be the issue with so many big players going elsewhere? Who, but Dolson (and now Ododa) has committed in the past twelve years (Tina Charles was 2006)? Meanwhile look at the rosters of Baylor, Texas, and others. Some might say they're not athletic enough (like Stewie) but we did go after quite a few.

Reaction Score
I also had a couple more thoughts I thought I'd try to put into words. It has been mentioned here that last year was tough for a lot of reasons - Geno was frustrated as all coaches are from time to time. There was a lot going on with the assistant coaches. I wonder how much of an impact it was losing one that I think worked with the bigs and replaced her with one that likely does more work with the guards. As far as Boston goes she was around the program a lot. That means she was well aware of the good and the bad that ALL programs have. It is easy to see the worts of a team you are familiar with but not one at a distance. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. Yes kids change but Geno recruits his kind of kid. Sometimes is doesn't work, usually it does.

I live near Syracuse. If you think people who post here trash Geno (and some do) you should see what they do in Syracuse to Beoheim. He can do no right. Just win. Really special coaches are rare. Be happy you have one. And BTW Geno has changed over the years - listen to his former players.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not sure if I recall everything correctly, but there are some aspects of the recruiting process that seem to have played out differently over the past few years than they did previously.

It seems we used to get commitments from top players much earlier, even in their junior years (Dangerfield?), whereas lately they're waiting till near the end of the signing period. The last major early commits I remember were Samuelson, Collier and one other that committed soon after the four of them came on a visit together (maybe for Midnight Madness?). Is Geno possibly not as involved as he once was throughout the recruiting process due to all his outside interests and thus not building the rapport with them that he once did? Restaurants, podcasts? He wasn't at the practice on Friday before the Ohio St. game, for example.

What could be the issue with so many big players going elsewhere? Who, but Dolson (and now Ododa) has committed in the past twelve years (Tina Charles was 2006)? Meanwhile look at the rosters of Baylor, Texas, and others. Some might say they're not athletic enough (like Stewie) but we did go after quite a few.

Geno has no role in the day-to-day operations of his restaurant...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It’s a fun day to read the board though. Everyone’s upset we lost Boston, a center!! A near meaningless position in 2018.

Skilled size is still an important ingredient of a championship team. Look at the last two National Champions. ND had Shepard and SCar had Wilson. And the beaten finalists in each case were McCowan and Miss. St.

I think size for size's sake is overrated but Boston is not only big but highly skilled.

Reaction Score
Jones is not coming to UCONN!!! Accept it now!!!!!! Geno made a big mistake!! Being to dam selective!!!! No back up plan!! Jones to
South Carolina Stanford or Oregon!!! UCONN is done!!! Hate to be negative but if Geno lost a recruit who basically sat behind uconns bench the past 2 years and she goes to USC come on people .. writing is on the wall UCONN is over. I see Geno coaching no more then 4 years. Kids don’t want to play for demanding coaches and programs and people are sick of uconns dominance and sadly all good things come to a end.
Coach Vic at Miss St is s disciplinarian and his recruiting has never been better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom