Boston to South Carolina | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Boston to South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Boston was the 1 recruit that Geno needed to keep the program running. Devastating.

So the program is done for now? Yikes. On the bright side, maybe this will prompt some of you to actually begin supporting the university's other programs.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Whoa.....UConn is really lagging on the recruiting this year it seems. Not good news for Miss. St. either.

Your class isn’t looking too shabby either my friend. Jackson is a bomb that’s going to explode on the scene that is WCBB... and I think Martinez is grossly under-ranked.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He needs to get 1 and 4 every year to build a dominant bench/succession line considering the program’s legacy. Accept less and sooner than later you’re an also ran, especially given the garbage conference.

I wonder if the State’s financial problems have something to do with this. Lotsa people in these kids’ ears.

Every time I try and convince myself that this fanbase isn't spoiled and delusional, a post like this shows up and snaps me back to my senses. Anything less than the most dominant stretch in the history of college basketball makes you an also-ran? The #1 recruit in a class is something you need every year?

I'm not even going to bother addressing your second point, because it provides clear evidence that you're not posting on this website in good faith.

Reaction Score
I disagree about Boston being a generational player. I do think she is a solid post player with good offensive skills in a solid build. As I mentioned in the other thread, Hannah Gusters has all the potential of Boston IMO. I wouldn’t mind going after Cardosa too. They’re the two elite 2020 centers.

Reaction Score
Every time I try and convince myself that this fanbase isn't spoiled and delusional, a post like this shows up and snaps me back to my senses. Anything less than the most dominant stretch in the history of college basketball makes you an also-ran? The #1 recruit in a class is something you need every year?

I'm not even going to bother addressing your second point, because it provides clear evidence that you're not posting on this website in good faith.
Yeah we're gonna have to rough it next year with a #3, #1, #1, #4, and ??? in the starting line up.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So the program is done for now? Yikes. On the bright side, maybe this will prompt some of you to actually begin supporting the university's other programs.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
I honestly don't understand this statement at all. A 111 game winning streak is snapped and suddenly UConn is just another team? I don't buy it.
Did I say that? No I didn't. But a big part of the recent UConn success was literally beating a team before the game started because of the name on the uniform. That advantage is gone. No one is afraid of UConn anymore because it has been shown they can be beaten.

Reaction Score
While I understand, and indeed share the disappointment with Boston going to South Carolina, much of the reaction is way over the top. Not to mention being historically illiterate. UConn has not won a national championship every year, and has no reason to expect that it has a right to. Imagine the rending of garments that followed DT's graduation and the years following without UConn making it to the Final Four. I'm sure many didn't see the future with UConn winning 6 out of 8 titles and putting together winning streaks of 90 and 111 games.

The news is less than ideal. In fact, it's not good at all. I get that. But there's no reason to think that UConn can't or won't rebound from this. After all, that Geno character is a pretty good coach.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with Geno and everything to do with the conference UConn plays in. Geno is still an amazing coach... but when you don’t have the horses to pull you across the finish line...
Could be...being in the Big East, possibly the best WCBB League, certainly helped to recruit Elite players, the AAC, well not so much...

Reaction Score
Did I say that? No I didn't. But a big part of the recent UConn success was literally beating a team before the game started because of the name on the uniform. That advantage is gone. No one is afraid of UConn anymore because it has been shown they can be beaten.

UConn lost a lot of games before William hit her shot. Any advantage from the name on the jersey didn't disappear with it. The banners still hang from the rafters in Storrs.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Every once in a while your time comes. I’m actually very humbled by this year’s recruiting success... I vividly remember the feeling of missing on player after player after player over the last 3 or so years. I was a little down for DAYS after missing out on Smith. It didn’t feel good and some of our fan’s confidence in recruiting was shaken. This year was starting to feel like more of the same, but November has brought me YEARS of happiness it seems. It feels good to see the hard work of our staff pay off like this.

It feels raw right now (trust me, I know), but UConn will get the players that they are meant to get. It goes in circles.

Reaction Score
I’m shocked and puzzled. Wilson developed nicely at S.C., but Coates didn’t.

This makes Jones and Griffin all the more important. It also means Liv really needs to get fast tracked.

Aliyah’s team is in the V. I. and she snubbed a coach who is also there. This is poor form on her part. She should have announced last week if it wasn’t going to be UConn.
Boston is a generational type player. She has the size & skill-set that UConn needed. I could have cared less about the other recruits. Boston was the 1 recruit that Geno needed to keep the program running. Devastating. The ones who are belittling this loss is just trying to keep things positive, but anyone who knows WCBB knows this is a loss you dont recover from quickly.
Generational? You mean generational like Stewart? How long is a generation to you? Two years? Please stop.

Reaction Score
So I didn’t know she was committing today but I’m completely speechless! Like wow! Can next season start today???
Ha ha congrats Dawn is the best recruiter in the country right now. As we've seen the best recruiter isn't commensurate with results, so it will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the next few years.

Reaction Score
Jones is not coming to UCONN!!! Accept it now!!!!!! Geno made a big mistake!! Being to dam selective!!!! No back up plan!! Jones to
South Carolina Stanford or Oregon!!! UCONN is done!!! Hate to be negative but if Geno lost a recruit who basically sat behind uconns bench the past 2 years and she goes to USC come on people .. writing is on the wall UCONN is over. I see Geno coaching no more then 4 years. Kids don’t want to play for demanding coaches and programs and people are sick of uconns dominance and sadly all good things come to a end.
Bleed blue, you really think kids don’t want to play for demanding coach? You don’t think Dawn is a demanding coach? I think kids serious about BBall want to go to program and coach were they can develop their skills. I think main drawback to UCONN program is many kids with skills sit on the bench and do not get to develop. Working hard with little reward can demotivate anyone. Dawn May be over recruiting and some of those kids she is recruiting may end up sitting rather than developing. If you over recruit you need to over develop and those kids must play and develop. Develop and play your bench.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Your class isn’t looking too shabby either my friend. Jackson is a bomb that’s going to explode on the scene that is WCBB... and I think Martinez is grossly under-ranked.

I agree. In the last two years, Vic has done a far better job recruiting. But it's more his record doing the talking. Two straight national championship game appearances will obviously make Starkville a more attractive destination. Andra Espinoza-Hunter committed to Miss. St a day or two after we beat South Carolina last year. And Vic has done a great job corralling the transfers. I think we had a top 10 class last year just based on the transfers alone. And this year we have a top 10 class even without the transfers.

It's just.... I had hoped that this South Carolina/Miss. St. rivalry would die down, but it looks like it'll persist into the 2020s. LOL.

Reaction Score
Most recruits are realizing how long Geno has left in his tank and they know the run is just about over . I would want Geno to coach me all 4 years without any doubt that he would be there everyday .
Geno has plenty of time left. Those of you who think he will retire... what evidence do you have on that? Also if you want to talk about how much time people have left, what about Maggie Dixon... they young coach who just died... no one expected it. What about coaches who switch schools. Stop being an idiot and talking about him retiring if you do not know for certain.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Every once in a while your time comes. I’m actually very humbled by this year’s recruiting success... I vividly remember the feeling of missing on player after player after player over the last 3 or so years. I was a little down for DAYS after missing out on Smith. It didn’t feel good and some of our fan’s confidence in recruiting was shaken. This year was starting ttel like more of the same, but November has brought me YEARS of happiness it seems. It feels good to see the hard work of our staff pay off like this.

It feels raw right now (trust me, I know), but UConn will get the players that they are meant to get. It goes in circles.

I was thinking the last few years that other than Wilson.... Lower Carolina sure misses out alot on the top recruits.... ... Coach Staley sure cant recruit that well..... guess Columbia and Little Carolina aint that that much of a draw. Welp.... yall definitely shut me up for 2019 :oops:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I was thinking the last few years that other than Wilson.... Lower Carolina sure misses out alot on the top recruits.... ... Coach Staley sure cant recruit that well..... guess Columbia and Little Carolina aint that that much of a draw. Welp.... yall definitely shut me up for 2019 :oops:

If you give me enough time, I could compile an EXTENSIVE list of players from 2015-2018 that SC was in the top 5 or better for. It’s basically a who’s who of the current WCBB landscape. We missed A LOT after 2014 and thrived off the transfer market to get by, but not this year. Finally breaking through in recruiting.

Reaction Score
Somebody is losing his mojo to younger coaches....I mean it’s plain as day he’s lost some ‘connection’ on his recruiting fastball.

Reminds me of Barmore and LaTech all those years ago. Empires rise and fall but in the AAC there probably won’t be any comebacks.
I don’t know how you can say that. He got the number 1 recruit in the last 2 classes. Also #5 last year. Which other coach has done that in the last few years? Too many UConn fans are just spoiled!!!

Reaction Score
it's amateur night..this is kind of why I don't go out on New Year's Eve...

It’s a fun day to read the board though. Everyone’s upset we lost Boston, a center!! A near meaningless position in 2018. People are crying like we lost out on stewie or a number 1 guard. So much more talent coming down the pike. If your interested in world domination we need to land the generational talent. Boston is not Griner, Stewie, Maya or even Lou. Boston will never even be as good as pheese. I get the bigger picture, we’re missing on talent Geno is going all in for. Combine that with losing Lou and pheese- Yes thst is very true. But don’t cry over Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom