Boston to South Carolina | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Boston to South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
different recruiting services don't always name the player as their player of the year, so in fact it's possible to be ranked number one and not be the best.....2016 - Lauren Cox was ranked #1 by ESPN but I don't think she's been the top player in her class so far, same goes for Megan Walker in 2017...she may end up being tops in her class but she isn't right now.
True, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet on that #1 recruit with Geno's tutelage ending up having the most successful career and development. Still think A'ja Wilson would have benefited by playing for Geno (and alongside the big three for a few years) instead of at South Carolina. Geno takes those great players to the next level more than any coach I've seen.

Reaction Score
True, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet on that #1 recruit with Geno's tutelage ending up having the most successful career and development. Still think A'ja Wilson would have benefited by playing for Geno (and alongside the big three for a few years) instead of at South Carolina. Geno takes those great players to the next level more than any coach I've seen.

yes it would have been nice to have a second year with a certain Azura Stevens.................ahhhhh if she were still a Husky.............

Reaction Score
yes it would have been nice to have a second year with a certain Azura Stevens.......ahhhhh if she were still a Husky...
Oh yeah you would have to think UConn would be the favorites this year if Stevens played out her eligibility. But, in the end, I think it will work out for the better. If Stevens were still here, Megan would be coming off the bench, and I don't think that would be good for her development. I look forward to this season and seeing how Megan, Christyn, ONO, Batouly, and Coombs develop with lots of playing time up for grabs. Given the talent of these players, I think we're going to be very happy by the end of the year with what we've got heading into the tourney. Not saying this team will win it all, but I do think the final four streak continues.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah you would have to think UConn would be the favorites this year if Stevens played out her eligibility. But, in the end, I think it will work out for the better. If Stevens were still here, Megan would be coming off the bench, and I don't think that would be good for her development. I look forward to this season and seeing how Megan, Christyn, ONO, Batouly, and Coombs develop with lots of playing time up for grabs. Given the talent of these players, I think we're going to be very happy by the end of the year with what we've got heading into the tourney. Not saying this team will win it all, but I do think the final four streak continues.

If Stevens were still here, I think Walker would start at the 3, Samuelson would play the 2, and Williams would come off the bench.

Reaction Score

hey what are you talking about...........AW has proven once and for always that you can become a WNBA star without being able to use both your hands...............

Reaction Score
hey what are you talking about......AW has proven once and for always that you can become a WNBA star without being able to use both your hands.....
Sure but I hate seeing potential being squandered. I felt that way about Z last year. Geno has in the past talked about great talents fighting him, but when they finally do what he asks, the lightbulb goes off and the player maximizes their potential.

Reaction Score

Maybe.

But she was a three time AA, NPOY, won a national title, three SEC titles, averaged more points and rebounds than Candace Parker, went #1 in the draft and was WNBA rookie of the year so I guess it wasn’t all bad for her.

Reaction Score
Maybe.

But she was a three time AA, NPOY, won a national title, three SEC titles, averaged more points and rebounds than Candace Parker, went #1 in the draft and was WNBA rookie of the year so I guess it wasn’t all bad for her.
You kind of proved my point. "Won a national title." Stewie, Tuck, and Jefferson won four national titles. That could have been Wilson's legacy too, so why wasn't it? Because she went to South Carolina instead of UConn. UConn had walk ons win more titles than Wilson.

Reaction Score
You kind of proved my point. "Won a national title." Stewie, Tuck, and Jefferson won four national titles. That could have been Wilson's legacy too, so why wasn't it? Because she went to South Carolina instead of UConn. UConn had walk ons win more titles than Wilson.
I'm sure her one title she won for her home state would mean more to her than winning any amount of titles at UConn. She chose not join a UConn team that didn't need her at all to win their last two championships.

I don't know why you bring up walk on having more titles, how irrelevant. They aren't playing professionally and at the level Wilson has/is. Wilson has already had a better career than Tuck and Jefferson. Her rookie campaign rivals Stewies.

Maybe she didn't want her legacy to be the No. 1 player joining a stacked team to win championships. Her legacy for her home state is more important, and more impressive too.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
True...but she wouldn't be getting a statue at UCONN....lol...

Reaction Score

I am sure Wilson never regretted her decision. I would take a National title, playing in front of my family every night, A unanimous player of the year, and a statue. That is just a few of the accolades she accomplished playing for her home state.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Maybe.

UConn fans like to make the point that Geno makes great talent greater--which is true. But it's hard to prove the unknowable--could Wilson have become better at UConn? Maybe in some ways. but as Gamecockfan77 pointed out, it's hard to have a career better than hers thus far. Same with folks like EDD, Parker, Ogwumike sisters, Griner, etc. They all became great, both in college and the pros. It's hard to prove the greater-ness.

Reaction Score

I'm sure the national titles are just as meaningful to the walk-ons.

I am 100% certain that Wilson does not regret her decision.

It's weird that it still chaps a few UConn fans enough to take shots at her career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

It's weird that it still chaps UConn fans enough to take shots at her career.
It doesn't chap any fans. Everyone here acknowledges she is a great player. Did she maximize her full potential in college? I don't think I could say yes to that question, could you? I don't see how posing that question is taking a shot at her career.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
It doesn't chap any fans. Everyone here acknowledges she is a great player. Did she maximize her full potential in college? I don't think I could say yes to that question, could you? I don't see how posing that question is taking a shot at her career.
That is certainly how it appears to some people reading your posts. What was your intention?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

It's weird that it still chaps UConn fans enough to take shots at her career.
A number of UConn fans tend to ignore the importance to Wilson of playing in her home town, where her parents could watch every one of her home games, give their baby girl a kiss after the game and be home to see the highlights on the evening news. The angst that some UConn fans have over Wilson have little to do with Wilson's individual achievements and more to do with the likely scenario that had Wilson become a Husky, UConn would be coming off their 6th straight national championship.

Wilson's start to her pro career leaves little doubt that she will be a star in the WNBA and probably earn an Olympic gold medal or two along the way. As a UConn fan I hate to admit this, but Wilson made the correct decision for her.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I would say yes: she maximized her full potential in college. In what ways do you think she didn't? Because she only won ONE championship? By her senior year, she was the unanimous POY, then walked into the WNBA and averaged 20.7ppg and 8rpg as a rookie.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I think in most people's minds, winning an inaugural title for South Carolina was a bigger achievement than winning 4 titles as a Husky given the state of the two programs at the time of her commitment. How many UConn fans predicted she would win even a single title in Columbia when she announced her commitment? She accomplished something amazing for them, really putting them on the map. Her choice of South Carolina is probably largely responsible for this year's incredible recruiting class.

Reaction Score

It's been a full season since she graduated and you're still spinning hypotheticals about how she should regret not choosing UConn despite having one of the most celebrated and successful careers of anyone and certainly the most celebrated at South Carolina.

It's a least an odd thing to still be harping on in my opinion.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think in most people's minds, winning an inaugural title for South Carolina was a bigger achievement than winning 4 titles as a Husky given the state of the two programs at the time of her commitment. How many UConn fans predicted she would win even a single title in Columbia when she announced her commitment? She accomplished something amazing for them, really putting them on the map. Her choice of South Carolina is probably largely responsible for this year's incredible recruiting class.

This. For example, Amihere's commitment to South Carolina is a direct result of A'ja's (Amihere said as much herself) and it goes to show how recruiting is a long game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think in most people's minds, winning an inaugural title for South Carolina was a bigger achievement than winning 4 titles as a Husky given the state of the two programs at the time of her commitment.

I've thought along those lines. There's literally nothing you can do at UConn that hasn't been done before. Multiple undefeated seasons. 4 straight Championships. Multiple All-American seasons and even multiple POY awards. It's ALL been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom