Boston to South Carolina | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Boston to South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Using your logic, McCallie and Duke should get credit for some of Azura Stevens' success because she was already a top player when she played at Duke?

Of course Duke deserves credit for Stevens success. She was not that highly sought in her prep years, was not a high school all american. She developed and stood out at Duke, showed good perimeter skills for a 6'5 kid. Did she get better at UConn? I bet she did. But if she did not attend UConn she'd still be a pro I believe. She played multiple seasons at Duke and 1 at UConn. So why wouldn't you give Duke credit here?

The difference is Geno doesn't need to promote Azura's success on the recruiting trail because he has enough 4 year players here. Dawn hasn't been at SC for as long so I bet she is using Gray and Davis as recruiting pitch, Grays' WNBA Rookie of the Year and everything looks good but its necessary because Dawn doesn't have a long record of pros yet. I just don't think Dawn did anymore than Hatchell or Joseph, the old coaches for whom those kids played for over multiple seasons.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I buy that Aliyah found a connection with Dawn. All the other info, other than the great S.C. attendance, that I’ve seen on her decision still puzzles me. I guess Dawn convinced her she can be the next A’ja Wilson.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's because only UConn can have the big rivavlries. Well the rivavlries can only get so big, until top recruits choose the schools involved instead of UConn. Then the rivalries need to stop and die. Such selfishness
Wasn't it a Mississippi State fan that wanted the rivalry to die down? Actually, if you ask most SC fans, we most like to beat Mizzou right now.

Reaction Score
I buy that Aliyah found a connection with Dawn. All the other info, other than the great S.C. attendance, that I’ve seen on her decision still puzzles me. I guess Dawn convinced her she can be the next A’ja Wilson.
So enjoy getting beat by UConn by 30 points for the next four years? Sorry couldn't help it. I'm sure South Carolina will be better than that this time around.

Reaction Score
Wasn't it a Mississippi State fan that wanted the rivalry to die down? Actually, if you ask most SC fans, we most like to beat Mizzou right now.

The Miss State fan was I think just feeling sad about USC's recruiting class because he is worried it is going to derail what they were starting to think was their period of dominance over the SEC.

I think if everyone will just pat them on the head and say "good dog" they will feel better.

So here goes: Vic is a great coach. He's done big things at Miss State. Miss State is likely to be in the mix with South Carolina and Tennessee and perhaps Georgia in the near future.

I thought Miss State might be the favorite coming in and after seeing USC play a little I think they might be the prohibitive favorite, with apologies to Tennessee and Georgia for not giving them their due perhaps.

South Carolina should be a tournament team and hopefully by the time the season is done we will be a good tournament team. And we should be back in the mix next season for the SEC.

Let me just say while I am at it, I think my favorite player in this recruiting class is Jordan Horston. So I think the SEC could be a real dogfight.

Reaction Score
I thought Boston said she was interested in sportscommunication or something along that line. How does.the business school come into play? ESPN is a short drive away from UConn! Really academics?

I was speaking in general to another poster about claiming one University is academically superior to another. I don't know what Boston is studying.

Reaction Score
6 of the 10 top prospects have committed to SEC schools. That is very impressive for SEC schools.

Reaction Score
One of the best things about reading our forum is that doing so affords one the opportunity to learn so much from the self-proclaimed “expoits” who are unfailingly generous in sharing their “wisdom” with us. My favorites are those who remind us that they have been “warning” the rest of us for so long about Geno’s methods and the inevitable negative effects those methods will have on his program. And now those sages return to crow about how obviously right they were! In the meantime, what we have witnessed in the only place that matters, in between the lines, the team has won all but two of their last couple hundred games, both losses coming by one bucket in overtime. Clearly, the times have changed and, as I’ve read so much of lately, Geno’s gotta change with ‘em. It’s “obvious” that the guy has to pay attention to the oracles on the Boneyard and “adapt” in the manner they suggest. OK, I’m convinced, and I hope he is! Wouldn’t wanna waste the opportunity to put this great advice to good use!

You know there are a whole bunch of Yankee fans that said kind of the same thing years ago....................maybe a better analogy would be UCLA under coach Wooden.......................................I'm not calling an end to UConn's dominance just yet but unless Jones comes aboard on the 28th, next season's team is going to be in for a somewhat bumpy ride...................we will have a much clearer picture of the future at this time next year when the 2020 recruiting class is finalized...............

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I will be shocked to see Jones go anywhere but Stanford.....but it's been a shocking recruiting cycle anyway !

Reaction Score
you used to. : )
Still do. Go look where the #1s go. No one should feel bad for Geno who lands the #1 recruit about 2/3rds of the time. Of the last four #1s, we currently have three of them in our starting lineup.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Still do. Go look where the #1s go. No one should feel bad for Geno who lands the #1 recruit about 2/3rds of the time. Of the last four #1s, we currently have three of them in our starting lineup.
All the best players does not mean the number one player. There are nine other players in the top ten. Look at Texas, Oregon, Norte Dame, Tennessee, and Baylor. They have some of the top ten players on their rosters. So UConn has never gotten ALL of the best players. Even if the got the top three there are still seven other players on that list. All number one ranked players are not necessarily better than some of the players that are ranked below them.

Reaction Score
All the best players does not mean the number one player. There are nine other players in the top ten. Look at Texas, Oregon, Norte Dame, Tennessee, and Baylor. They have some of the top ten players on their rosters. So UConn has never gotten ALL of the best players. Even if the got the top three there are still seven other players on that list. All number one ranked players are not necessarily better than some of the players that are ranked below them.
Maybe not, but that's the way you bet it...

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't venture onto this board very often, and I have to say I'm SHOCKED by the reactions and the doomsday predictions. Geno's team will always compete for a national title, they'll always be in the mix. Do worry about it, just trust the man who brought you so much joy over the years.

Like I always say about Bill Belichick and the Patriots, I don't care what anybody says or thinks, in Bill I trust. Well, in Geno I trust too. There's only one GOAT, relax and enjoy the ride people.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
So there's no meaning behind being declared the #1 HS Player in America because she might not be better than the players "below" her? What a weird concept. I guess that is just like saying that the NPOY is not the best player in College. Very interesting.

Reaction Score
I don't venture onto this board very often, and I have to say I'm SHOCKED by the reactions and the doomsday predictions. Geno's team will always compete for a national title, they'll always be in the mix. Do worry about it, just trust the man who brought you so much joy over the years.

Like I always say about Bill Belichick and the Patriots, I don't care what anybody says or thinks, in Bill I trust. Well, in Geno I trust too. There's only one GOAT, relax and enjoy the ride people.

the problem is Tom Brady doesn't play for UConn.................

Reaction Score
So there's no meaning behind being declared the #1 HS Player in America because she might not be better than the players "below" her? What a weird concept. I guess that is just like saying that the NPOY is not the best player in College. Very interesting.

different recruiting services don't always name the player as their player of the year, so in fact it's possible to be ranked number one and not be the best..........2016 - Lauren Cox was ranked #1 by ESPN but I don't think she's been the top player in her class so far, same goes for Megan Walker in 2017..................she may end up being tops in her class but she isn't right now......

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I was making a point that just because UConn gets many number one ranked players does not mean they get all the best players. Nowhere did I say it has no meaning. Some times the number one ranked player is not the same player on every rating service. Geno mentioned it himself. If UConn gets three of the top ten players, there are seven others on that list. So some of the best players are going elsewhere. It has always been that way. When people say UConn gets all the best players it is a slap at Geno's coaching ability. It's like saying if he did not get all the best players UConn would not be as good. Well, look at Texas and Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom